Oliver Wines

PartyTimeJohnny

The competitive beasts don't just move on. They don't go into a depressive funk either but they use the pain to push them to success. I doubt Geelong just moved on after 2008. Doubt Essendon just moved on after being smashed by the Hawks in 1983. Doubt Barassi and the Demons just moved on after losing in 1958.

The greats use the pain of losing and the fear it will happen again they don't just move on.

It all comes down to the player's personality; Tim Duncan the greatest basketball player of his generation (bias Spurs fan) demeanour rarely changes and is able to react the same way after a loss or win. Don't get me wrong he is competitive beast on the court who strives to win, but being able to move on and not internalise all the negatives emotions is not a bad thing (especially with all the losses we Demons play in). You can also look at the NFL to Cam Newton's whose team has been struggling, and his dour mood is causing fractures in the team and obviously affecting his game as he has no confidence in his own ability. I couldn't imagine Swanny getting to caught up on a lose, obviously it'll hurt at the time but dwelling over it will cause more harm than good.

• Like 3

I think GWS wanted pick 3 purely for marketing.

1 2 3 looks alot better in all the papers then 1 , 2 , 4

Can't say I've given that any thought...

Marketing.....what genius. And here I thought it was a strategy to obtain the best players in the draft.

• Like 1

interesting thought re back-room deal

however if that was the case we could have used pick 4 instead of 3, so i don't think there was such a deal

never know but

GWS say to GCS, we want Melbournes P3.

If you nominate Viney, we will not give you minidraft No 1. Simple.

Guess what.

GCS win the minidraft, for Pick 1(Jack Martin),,,, & we give Pick 3 for minidraft P2 = (Hogan). Well done guys.

I guess it may have gone like this?

We need this kid, Im sick of us picking up thin kids who are athletic, they maybe able to run all day but when I comes to playing with the big men they can't hold there own cause they have no size. Then they 4 pre seasons to develovpe there size, that if there not injured.

This guy is already big for age and will be ready at to compete with the men from round 1 not round 1 in 4 year like the rest.

• Like 5

At 90KG he is a must to help protect smaller players in the midfield. In 2-3 years time this kid could be a real enforcer in the midfield and he could play up forward if required. Jake Stringer is also one we should try and get if we hold onto pick 20. Looking at the other players in the draft Stringer could still be there at 20 because of his injury concerns.

Its humorous that someone very close to the club assured people that we would take Wines at no.4 if he was still there..

but yet here we are discussing it.

Thought this was a bit odd..

When Shifter Sheehan presented Wines with 'player of the TAC cup' on Future Stars about 3 weeks ago, he specifically mentioned that:

'Wines is not the fastest player, but still gets to the ball 1st and away from packs because his reading of the play was so good raw pace didnt matter' (or words to that effect)

This is purely from watching the 2 games at the championships. Just did not appear to naturally read the ball in play and on occasion just went to completely the wrong spot. I would take Shifters view over my 4 hours of viewing. Not saying I wont be happy if we get him but if available I think Toumpas more complements what we have.

I'd like all of Toumpas, Grundy & Wines. Not to mention O'Rourke & Kennedy.

If Grundy goes to GWS, IMO there will still be opportunities down the track to get him. They will have many stars & salary cap issues as well as players wanting to leave. Bound to happen

Toumpas has the outside skills we need. But maybe gone at our pick.

Wines is a good compliment to our mid needs & he supposedly has the hardness Melbourne teams seem to lack forever.

I don't think it's possible to get this one wrong.

• Like 1

I don't think it's possible to get this one wrong.

Yeah, pretty hard for us to f this up. We either get Toumpas, who possess fantastic speed and skill and can rack it up, or we get Wines who is ferocious at the contest can rack it up and good skill and decision making.

Either way, if we get one, we need to make it a priority to get the 'other' skill type in next years draft.

My mate has a 'Prince Albert' - which might be worse!

Whoomp! Dere it is..

bahhhh , what i meant was , you learn and you move on , ok ? sorreee !

Yeah, pretty hard for us to f this up. We either get Toumpas, who possess fantastic speed and skill and can rack it up, or we get Wines who is ferocious at the contest can rack it up and good skill and decision making.

Either way, if we get one, we need to make it a priority to get the 'other' skill type in next years draft.

Good post. Toumpas for speed and outside play. Wines for accumulating the footy and distributing/using it very smartly. Both are good gets either way. Wines for me.

Actually reminds me of Colin Sylvia in terms of his marking but he is far more mobile than Sylvia.

http://bigpondvideo....: Oliver Wines/

Wines is a beauty! reminds me of dustin martin with his style of play!

That is the first video I have seen of him and I know they are just highlights but why are some calling him a inside mid? He seemed to do a lot of damage running away from opponents and using his skills. As I said it's just highlights but I like what I see.

That is the first video I have seen of him and I know they are just highlights but why are some calling him a inside mid? He seemed to do a lot of damage running away from opponents and using his skills. As I said it's just highlights but I like what I see.

Because he is. His contested ball winning ability is up there with Viney.

Inside mids also get the foot on the outside and run and spread. Well, the good ones do.