The Clash Strip That Wasn't

daisycutter

Points to following people saying we should wear red, slaps forehead, and whispers under his breath...did not miss point, but in fact was totally on topic, given there are still people who don't understand the source of the white.

You missed the point of the thread TA

I'll repeat it for you.

Against the Aints, our REGULAR jumper would have been LESS a clash than our CLASH strip

i.e. NO need for a clash strip in this game

In fact I think some of the turnovers on both sides were due to the clash strip

Clear?

• Like 6

According to PeterJames, Tall Defence and UTAH, we'd be better served with red. I was commenting on that.

Why dont you read my post again.

I said I would like to have a second clash strip which was mostly red.

I said nothing about replacing the white clash strip with a red one.

You missed the point of the thread TA

I'll repeat it for you.

Against the Aints, our REGULAR jumper would have been LESS a clash than our CLASH strip

i.e. NO need for a clash strip in this game

In fact I think some of the turnovers on both sides were due to the clash strip

Clear?

I get it.

I see the point, but I also see where the issue arises with black vs blue (looking at players from the back), and I think that one is as bad as any clash there was today. So I guess I disagree. Wouldn't have been less of a clash at all, really.

My point was that people wanted a red clash jumper, which doesn't solve the AFL's problems, so doesn't exist.

Why dont you read my post again.

I said I would like to have a second clash strip which was mostly red.

I said nothing about replacing the white clash strip with a red one.

No, you didn't. But you said we should have a red one and use it against St Kilda. Which I don't think would work, given we were told to change it originally. And because we're not allowed red against Essendon.

In the end, we had a red one, but we were told to change, so we did, and now we have white, which removes the major clash with St Kilda (whether people think so or not). I don't really see how this debate could have any more legs in it. And I was incredibly surprised to hear people, including you, talking about a red jumper, as I thought we'd all realised that any debate on that topic was futile and thus over.

I get it.

I see the point, but I also see where the issue arises with black vs blue (looking at players from the back), and I think that one is as bad as any clash there was today. So I guess I disagree. Wouldn't have been less of a clash at all, really.

Both teams looked the same front on especially with the central white stripe

The front on look is much much more important than the rear on look for the players

• Like 1

If the original jumper was worn there would have been no clash.

The question should be asked "Who made the decision to wear that strip?"

Which AFL Minion, in the absence of Vlad and his contingent of London sightseers, decided to throw his weight around?

• Like 1

I get it.

My point was that people wanted a red clash jumper, which doesn't solve the AFL's problems, so doesn't exist.

No, you didn't. But you said we should have a red one and use it against St Kilda. Which I don't think would work, given we were told to change it originally. And because we're not allowed red against Essendon.

In the end, we had a red one, but we were told to change, so we did, and now we have white, which removes the major clash with St Kilda (whether people think so or not). I don't really see how this debate could have any more legs in it. And I was incredibly surprised to hear people, including you, talking about a red jumper, as I thought we'd all realised that any debate on that topic was futile and thus over.

We had a red one. AFL told us we needed a white one.

They didn't say we had to replace the red one. It was Schwabs decision not to have a 2nd Red clash strip.

A red clash strip would have been better than a white one yesterday.

I see others point of view that our original would have been a better option.

English Premier league has three strips for each club, home, away, clash.

EVERY AFL club should have the same thing if the League is genuine about this. Have an AFL strip available for clubs that refuse to do it and make them wear it. But they should also be logical about it, if there is no reason to wear an alternative don't make them!

For us the clash and a reversed or the red with demon logo would do the job.

EVERY AFL club should have the same thing if the League is genuine about this. Have an AFL strip available for clubs that refuse to do it and make them wear it. But they should also be logical about it, if there is no reason to wear an alternative don't make them!

They're not, so this is the problem. Lot of arguing about the point of this thread but the fact is that Melbourne in their home strip and StKilda in their away strip (predominanatly white) yesterday would be the only combination to minimise the clash.

Both teams looked the same front on especially with the central white stripe

The front on look is much much more important than the rear on look for the players

What's important for players is not necessarily (or often, even) what's important for the AFL.

In the end, the AFL seems to class jumpers as 'dark' or 'light'. Both St Kilda and Melbourne have 'dark' home jumpers, and since we were the away team, we had to change to 'light'. Our 'light' jumper clashes less with their home jumper, as they only have a bit of white.

We had a red one. AFL told us we needed a white one.

They didn't say we had to replace the red one. It was Schwabs decision not to have a 2nd Red clash strip.

A red clash strip would have been better than a white one yesterday.

I see others point of view that our original would have been a better option.

They told us we couldn't have nothing but red as an alternate to blue, so we made the white one. But we realised that there's no need to have the red one if we also have the white one, because the white one satisfies the AFL's criteria. So we don't need two.

English Premier league has three strips for each club, home, away, clash.

For us the clash and a reversed or the red with demon logo would do the job.

The EPL is totally different. Clubs over there wear colours, not designs, and multiple clubs wear the same colours with not a lot of difference in designs. So they have many more clashes and thus need more jumper options.

Here, there are plenty of clubs who only need a light/dark alternative to avoid all clashes (e.g. Gold Coast, GWS, Fremantle). So the AFL is never going to implement a three-jumper rule, especially when there are clubs like Collingwood and Essendon who whinge about having two.

Hate the white, we are red and blue, when I started following as a kid we wore royal blue with the red yoke, this does not clash with essendon, carlton, richmond, meth coast home, port or saints as sides wearing dark strips.

If anyone at the club is reading please can our alternate strip be Royal blue jumper with red yoke, white shorts & red socks

For all other games back to our traditional navy blue & red

• Like 1

It's simple, there was a clash yesterday. Both teams have a clash strip, just so happens that ours clashes with their original strip. At least one occasion Blease mistook a saint for one of ours and passed it to him.

Any clash should be eliminated where possible. The solution yesterday would have been for us to wear our traditional jumper and the Saints to wear their clash strip, doesn't matter whose home game it was, that was the solution, the AFL failed.

• Like 3

That Royal blue and red jumper from the eightees should NEVER been seen again !!!!! I don't mind the white jumper, however I agree that yesterday it was confusing, and a notice needs to be sent back to the AFL/MFC not to wear this strip again when playing the Aints

• Like 1

I am sorry to disagree and be a minority but this is the best clash strip MFC has ever produced. It keeps the red and blue but adds a light colour that provides the clash alternative to another dark jumper. I agree that perhaps using it against the Saints might not be the best option, but it is a recognisable, well designed and classy looking jumper.

• Like 2

I am sorry to disagree and be a minority but this is the best clash strip MFC has ever produced. It keeps the red and blue but adds a light colour that provides the clash alternative to another dark jumper. I agree that perhaps using it against the Saints might not be the best option, but it is a recognisable, well designed and classy looking jumper.

I got howled down last time I made this suggestion. But, don't really care.

I too, like the current clash strip. However, I reckon it would be even better if the white bits were replaced with a pale blue (akin to the colour of the Carlton clash jumper that so many loved to hate). It gets rid of the white, and keeps us red & blue (albeit red, dark blue & light blue).

I still reckon that would look good, and would probably have eliminated the problem we had yesterday against St Kilda...

It's simple, there was a clash yesterday. Both teams have a clash strip, just so happens that ours clashes with their original strip. At least one occasion Blease mistook a saint for one of ours and passed it to him.

Any clash should be eliminated where possible. The solution yesterday would have been for us to wear our traditional jumper and the Saints to wear their clash strip, doesn't matter whose home game it was, that was the solution, the AFL failed.

Tom McDonald did the same.

• Like 2

Watching on TV I had no problem at all picking up who was who. But maybe it was different live at the ground.

I suspect if we had worn our traditional jumper, there may have been a hint of difficulty looking from the back (both dark colours).

I don't really see a need for clash jumpers, but more importantly, I don't think this is a big issue, either.

Of course, I'm old enough to have watched football replay in black and white when Collingwood and North Melbourne basically looked the same except for the colour of the shorts. And the clash between Melbourne and Fitzroy was worse. And I didn't have a problem working out who was who then, either.

Repeat after me...this is not a big issue. Either way.

I don't think thats there is anything wrong with the White strip but against StKilda its just wrong.

Obvious on the TV that players were handballing and kicking to opposition players.

In the first game of the year Brisbane and Melbourne players were confusing each other Brisbane wore the're normal colours at the MCG go figure.

Edited by deesrule

If I'm fortunate enough to see my team in a Grand Final again it's entirely possible that we'll be forced to wear this awful white jumper.

Can you imagine having to play a Grand Final on the MCG in that jumper ?

Bh the prospect of the Dees playing in a GF seems like a decade away.

To get the Dees into a GF I would be happy with pink and purple polka dots.

Seriously For a GF appearance and win I would be very happy with that strip.

What they wear means very little to me in these times.

I would just love a side with the ability to make one no matter what they wear.

I don't think thats there is anything wrong with the White strip but against StKilda its just wrong.

Obvious on the TV that players were handballing and kicking to opposition players.

In the first game of the year Brisbane and Melbourne players were confusing each other Brisbane wore the're normal colours at the MCG go figure.

Was that a clash strip or a skill problem? Unfortunately, I suspect it was the latter more often than not.