My Mick Malthouse mea culpa

Somewhere on this Board I'm sure I've been critical of Mick Malthouse's commentary on radio and TV.

After his performance on Channel 7 in the Geelong v Melbourne game, I'm left to eat my words. He was brilliant - clear, concise and to the point.

When commentating previously, I felt he was bombastic and esoteric and not really adding value to the commentary. Whether he's changed or perhaps I'm just understanding him better, I'm not sure.

Or perhaps Channel 7 has responded to Rohan Connolly's excellent critique in The Age and asked all their commentators to be more focused and less self-indulgent. Certainly the coverage has improved by replays being less intrusive over live play. Whatever the reason, it made for a first class performance from Malthouse last Saturday.

Guest strawberry_gumdrops

I see irony in your observation of a commentator being more focused and less self-indulgent, and your use of Latin in thread title.

• Like 1

I see irony in your observation of a commentator being more focused and less self-indulgent, and your use of Latin in thread title.

Check the guy's name out -- presumably some relic of the Roman Empire, and may therefore also remember MFC's glory days.

And, next year he may choose to change it ti Dee-Viney.

Edited by monoccular

Guest strawberry_gumdrops

There is a time and a place. The time- 1000BC, the place- Rome. Not modern day Demonland thanks.

Not only did Mick speak well it seemed he had a clear understanding on where our club is at and what we are working on. He even gave Watts a pump up, bit different to pre-season

What was interesting was he spoke about talking to Davey and in the smae breath described Watts are really nice and intelligent young man saying some come to the game with the desire for a contest whilst others have to learn it over time which was what he was doing.

I got the distinct impression he has been talking to watts in much the same vein as Davey.

Is he a secret consultant to Neeld?

Somewhere on this Board I'm sure I've been critical of Mick Malthouse's commentary on radio and TV.

After his performance on Channel 7 in the Geelong v Melbourne game, I'm left to eat my words. He was brilliant - clear, concise and to the point.

When commentating previously, I felt he was bombastic and esoteric and not really adding value to the commentary. Whether he's changed or perhaps I'm just understanding him better, I'm not sure.

Or perhaps Channel 7 has responded to Rohan Connolly's excellent critique in The Age and asked all their commentators to be more focused and less self-indulgent. Certainly the coverage has improved by replays being less intrusive over live play. Whatever the reason, it made for a first class performance from Malthouse last Saturday.

It went like this:

"TRUST blah blah blah TRUST blah blah blah TRUST".

Just kidding. He was ok. He obviously has a soft spot for the Dees, or maybe he just feels sorry for them, like everyone else.

It went like this:

Just kidding. He was ok. He obviously has a soft spot for the Dees, or maybe he just feels sorry for them, like everyone else.

You're quite right. But the point was valid. For the last 4 years I've been watching two Melbourne players tackle one opponent leaving the second opponent free for the hand off. For those who didn't hear Mick Malthouse on the weekend, he said this was a 'trust' issue, meaning that at the moment Melbourne players don't trust their team mates to effect a proper tackle so go in to help. This just allows the opposition a free player. When players start to 'trust' each other, Mick says this won't happen. When Malthouse uses the word 'trust' he's not talking about honesty but effectiveness and I thought he made the point clearly and appropriately.

And when Neeld talks about building foundations I now understand better what he means.

• Like 3

It went like this:

Not for the D's for Neeld, his protege.

Did anyone notice him calling players by first/nick name basis? e.g. bate as "batey" or chip as "jimmy". Any one think there is anything to it? I wouldn't be surprised if he was working behind the scenes? just another way to shove it up the ferals

Is it just me or does Mickey Mouse seem to have a more than normal interest in this club ?? There's obviously a tie of some sort back to Neeld.. but even last year he seemed very up on who and what we were and capable of.

its almost as if he thinks.. "Christ of all teams this one ought to be stepping up and capable of something ( on paper)..but wtf is going on ? "

its weird.. A former filth with a soft spot for the devil. . Bit like cousins in the hay...but hey !!

Did anyone notice him calling players by first/nick name basis? e.g. bate as "batey" or chip as "jimmy". Any one think there is anything to it? I wouldn't be surprised if he was working behind the scenes? just another way to shove it up the ferals

He said he has been spending some time acting as a personal mentor to Aaron Davey.

Mick is always spot on. He's never wrong. The guy picks it right at the same time I see it. He knows the common fan, he knows the common game.

He made two mistakes bagging two of our players in ten seconds for doing something they were not .

Is it just me or does Mickey Mouse seem to have a more than normal interest in this club ?? There's obviously a tie of some sort back to Neeld.. but even last year he seemed very up on who and what we were and capable of.

its almost as if he thinks.. "Christ of all teams this one ought to be stepping up and capable of something ( on paper)..but wtf is going on ? "

its weird.. A former filth with a soft spot for the devil. . Bit like cousins in the hay...but hey !!

I said on another thread yesterday that Mick may be our unofficial assistant coach and I reckon he is doing a bit behind the scene, he obviously wants Neeld to succeed, he's our Bomba Thompson without pay.

There is a time and a place. The time- 1000BC, the place- Rome. Not modern day Demonland thanks.

Rome didn't exist in 1000BC - It was founded around 600BC by Romulus, although some historians belive the legend that Trojans escaping from that war founded it about 1100BC, I don't though