The word on Brad Green

Maybe next year

I'm a little perplexed by what appears to be Melbourne's inability, or lack of apetite, to sign players 30+. last week we see GWS grabbing James Mcdonald, Cornes of the Chad variety, and Dean Brogan, all wouldn't have a hope of staying on our list. purely because of their age, not ability. And today we see the cats, with how many players over 30? hopefully completing a "dynasty" by giving the pies a smack.

We need experience, we need to keep Brad Green, sans capataincy probably, we've got rid of Bailey and his "building a group for the future" cr#p. He was just future proofing himself. We have to keep players with experience, and I think we need more of them. I am not one for the assumption that untried 17 y/o kids are going to solve our problems by 2016. Use our scully picks to get a couple of players with experience, make the finals next year and build confidence in the group we have now, not the group we'll have in 5 years time.

Sorry, I went off on a tangent. Brad Green should get two years no captaincy.

• Like 1

I thought it was sad with Bruce he was a long term Demon who gave a lot over a long time.

It will be equal as sad if Green should go.

Add in the ordinary departure of Jnr. and you would have a sad trifecta.

Hope Green stays

I agree with all that old dee. I reckon the shoddy way that Junior's departure was handled was probably influential in Bruce leaving, and maybe there is a lingering sour taste in Green's mouth as well. However, the Club has acknowledged that that it didn't handle the Junior 'retirement' well, and I think it's unlikely that we would make the same mistake again, especially with one of our 'elder statesmen'. If the possibility of a repeat of the Junior situation is behind Green's apparent procrastination, he should get over it and sign a one year deal.

• Like 1

I agree with all that old dee. I reckon the shoddy way that Junior's departure was handled was probably influential in Bruce leaving, and maybe there is a lingering sour taste in Green's mouth as well. However, the Club has acknowledged that that it didn't handle the Junior 'retirement' well, and I think it's unlikely that we would make the same mistake again, especially with one of our 'elder statesmen'. If the possibility of a repeat of the Junior situation is behind Green's apparent procrastination, he should get over it and sign a one year deal.

You can understand his hesitation if he is being offered a 1 year deal. If he is offered a 2 year deal and the money is fair he will sign quickly. The Captaincy would not be part of the consideration from either side and nor should it.

any idea (other than speculation) on what the issues may be?

possibly the consideration of other's offers perhaps ?

In the interests of fairness, it should be pointed out that despite what he himself would no doubt admit was nowhere near his best season, Brad Green took more contested marks than any other Demon player this year. He was also our second highest goal scorer with 37, just three behind Liam Jurrah.

The above does not address the captaincy issue but are just some simple facts to add to the context of this discussion.

This is true, i think we all judge players like Green harshly due to the fact he can play so much better, in syaing this he and Jurrah our two leading goal scorers did so playing their "worst" seasons.

We all know how Green can play, and i think the Captaincy hurt him alot this year, to much going on for him

He is not done yet and will add to our side in 2012 and beyond,

In saying this 1 year for Brad with some kind of activation into a 2nd if he meets it, or deserves it ect

Second point, after the other offer he speculatively may have received.

Are we as a MFC opening our selves up to such circumstances? only offer good players Green who was AA last year and kicked 37 this season 1 year??

What about a club like Carlton coming in offering him the 2 years, who are in a window, and Green wont enter one with us???

Players at MFC know they wont get 2 years with us once they hit the 30, then there is the Bruce thing and Junior thing.... maybe he is thinking take the years and maybe a premiership while he is offered it?

ALOT if not very other club would JUMP at a 37 goal a year medium forward.... who's better at it than him? Lecras? Stevie J, and who?

You know what...I have no real idea of what is or isnt going on with respect the Green situation. There is however history of some 'posturing' regarding his dealing come contract time. Brad like a few of his mates come from a very different era of the MFC, theyve been used to a certain treatment etc. I am going to speculate that with al the reshaping and rebuilding of this fine club of ours that with this will come a different attitude come contracts and drafting etc.. Brad , and he wont be alone , might be in for a rude shock. He may well feel affronted.

Im going to trust the club and its newly found 'feet' to handle such dealings to the benefit of the club.Thats all that matters to me....the club !!

• Like 1

Jon Ralph noted on HS website (when reviewing each team in relation to the trade period) that Green will sign, it is just a "formality" at this stage. In other words, they are ironing out the chinks in the contract.

Jon Ralph noted on HS website (when reviewing each team in relation to the trade period) that Green will sign, it is just a "formality" at this stage. In other words, they are ironing out the chinks in the contract.

in other words he knows jack !! Hes just guessing

work with an x team mate of his...hes staying

Excellent news, he is a quality player .

Last year was an aberration (although better than many others who we have re-signed) and I am not convinced the captaincy was the issue.

He was handed a lot to handle both personally and from a team perspective with the loss of junior and Bruce.

I expect that this year with more structure he will prosper again.

Now this might just be me, it so often is,( lol ) but I have a sneaking suspicion that Neeld might be far more exactling in his estimation of where and what Brad ought to not only be capable of but ought to be doing that n dear ol' Brad has had to deal with in the past.

Brad on his day is a very good player. Cant question his bravery or ability. I will question his work ethic and consistency ans he fades in and out of games. Again might just be me , but he often only seems to be travelling in third gear, seldom top. He gets away with this often for when he is at the ball hes good.

Someone like Neeld wont accept this. Its 100% of ..theres the door.

Brad is our most experienced player by a street but you wouldn't always suppose this watching him.

ive been amongst a handful here who have pushed the idea that there was a group of players who had it all too easy under Dean, for whatever reason. id put Brad right in the middle of that group.

Now before some of you start arcing up and howl for a supposed bash, read again. Imnot. Im just stating what IS. Hes a very good player but often when push comes to shove hes gone missing. Hes not the only one. This will NOT have gone un-noticed by Neeld.

Its Brave New World time for Brad ( and friends) ...its called accountability.

Brad..suck it up, sign..or move on. Simple really

Edited by belzebub59

Yes i get the Feeling that our new coach has set new parameters, & some of our more experienced players are not as high up as they thought they were.

I hope Brad plays on next year, but as BB59 said, Brad must become more consistent against better sides...