Casey Scorpions v Bendigo Bombers

KC from Casey

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boys the threads get locked because they've degenerated into people slagging each other off or our players off. Get over it or run your own site.

2011 VFL Seniors

Casey Scorpions 2.2 7.6 15.9 19.11 (125)

Bendigo Bombers 6.5 12.5 13.11 14.14 (98)

GOALS:

Casey Scorpions: Fevola 5 Howe 3 LAWRENCE 3 Blease 2 McNamara 2 Cook Bate Nicholson Wall

Bendigo Bombers: Dickson 2 Little 2 Stewart 2 Williams 2 Prismall 2 Meli Duscher Dyson Silverlock

BEST:

Casey Scorpions: Howe McKenzie Mohr MORTON Macdonald EVANS

Bendigo Bombers: Prismall Quinn Dyson Duscher Jenkins

Observations from the the Casey game today:

Bate is clearly an AFL player - we need the coach to find the right role for him. He contested in attack and defence all day today, snapped, yes snapped, a goal from outside 50m.

Laurence has electric pace and creativity and knows where the goals are.

Jordie McKenzie will be an important in for us, his work around the stoppages was crucial and stopped the Bullants from forming an unassailable lead. He seems very fit.

Lucas Cook has great hands and does not have that stringbean look about him that some young talls do. Knows how to move as a footballer.

Tom McDonald looks and plays like he has played 100 games, very good over head.

Gawn's ruckwork ween unrewarded the first half. The game turned when our onballers took advantage of his hands being first in the ball so much.

Morton got heaps of the ball but did not seem to hurt them much.

Howe linked up well and knows where the game is moving in play.

Blease is maturing and seems to be learning when to kick it and when to go for a run. He is not getting caught with it as much.

Strauss kicked out of the backline well but does not impose himself on the contest enough it seems.

Nicholson and Evans quick on their feet around the ball and contest. Ran all day.

Fev plays a team game and talks to his teammates in an encouraging way. He took a two marks today he had no right to take including an unbelievable one-hander. He looks fit in the arms, legs and chest but had the fridge on legs look going a bit. If you went along and did not know any of the history and he was a listed player, you would be saying "why is that guys not playing in he ones?!" Rather than thinking he is taking opportunities away from our young players, I reckon it is possible to think that it is a good thing for them to experience playing with a once-superstar. It was pretty weird to hear myself today call out "Fev.......YES!!" I was not a fan in the past.

We were pretty ordinary early on. Gotch seems an old style coach, telling the players to look each other in the eye after the poor first half. It certainly got the players going, he motivated them well to change the flow of the game.

That is my view on Dees players from the game today, have a read and see what you think, I await the nit-picking and snide remarks seem to always make when you put up something for the Demons who cannot get out to Casey, but hopefully some get something out of it.

Gee for the next 'elite' midfielder that couldn't get a regular game for the Cats, Prismall is struggling to get a game for the Bombers. Oh well he didn't want to come to our club... wonder if Brock McLean will get a recall soon. I'm happier with Gysberts and Bennell (even though he didn't have a great game yesterday).

Edited by grazman

I'm not convinced about Cale Morton yet. He got the ball but some of his disposals weren't clean and got teammates into trouble.

Sam Blease is improving and has blistering pace but needs to use that pace when he doesn't have the pill. This is something he will learn and when he is able to use that pace to tackle and exert pressure on opponents then he will become a very handy player for Melbourne at AFL level.

If anyone is interested (and I'm sure KC will be) the reserves thrashed a very young Cranbourne team. I don't have the details but it was apparently not a particularly tough workout for the Casey boys. Pity because, as KC alluded to above, Casey twos have a bye next week and therefore a few players will miss some valuable match practice.

Gee for the next 'elite' midfielder that couldn't get a regular game for the Cats, Prismall is struggling to get a game for the Bombers. Oh well he didn't want to come to our club... wonder if Brock McLean will get a recall soon. I'm happier with Gysberts and Bennell (even though he didn't have a great game yesterday).

Looking likely for the Cats game with Curnow out.

I'm not convinced about Cale Morton yet. He got the ball but some of his disposals weren't clean and got teammates into trouble.

Sam Blease is improving and has blistering pace but needs to use that pace when he doesn't have the pill. This is something he will learn and when he is able to use that pace to tackle and exert pressure on opponents then he will become a very handy player for Melbourne at AFL level.

If anyone is interested (and I'm sure KC will be) the reserves thrashed a very young Cranbourne team. I don't have the details but it was apparently not a particularly tough workout for the Casey boys. Pity because, as KC alluded to above, Casey twos have a bye next week and therefore a few players will miss some valuable match practice.

Jack based on what you saw today who will be coming in?

WJ - I'd be interested to know where the MFC boys were playing:

- Howe - Did he play the whole game in the forward line as he's been spending some time at HB lately?

- Blease - just about every game he's been in the back line - anything different today?

- Cook - see Howe

- Morton

- Nicholson in the middle?

- Macnamara had 30 possessions in the midfield last week for the 2's, where did he play?

My best were Jordie McKenzie and Matthew Bate. Max Gawn had a great game in the ruck and a special mention to Sam Blease and Kelvin Lawrence who got the team going in the first place. Along with Michael Evans and Dan Nicholson they showed a clean pair of heels to the Bombers.

Now for the long drive home.

Thanks for the reports WJ and co...

Can't wait to see Jordie back. He's criminally underrated in the footy world and will add a hell of a lot to our midfield when he gets back (although it could take a few weeks to reach peak form a la Frawley).

Alright now I'm going to throw out what I came on here to ask...

Should we bring in Gawn next week? Yes, he's not ready. Yes, he won't provide much around the ground. But it was cringe worthy watching Newton in the centre bounces yesterday, and I reckon a 208cm giant will win a number of taps against AFL standard ruckmen. Comfortably.

Thoughts?

Jack based on what you saw today who will be coming in?

Red. The answer to your question depends on how many vacancies we're going to have?

Rohan Bail and Colin Garland would be out injured.

Lynden Dunn, either out courtesy of the MRP or dropped?

Austin Wonaeamirri might struggle to keep his place as well.

There's still a question mark over whether Juice has a place in the team.

I think Jordie McKenzie and Matthew Bate are automatic inclusions and if Jared Rivers is fit then he goes in for Colin Garland.

Then the question is how bold and daring the selectors want to be. I would bring Max Gawn into the ruck to help out Stef Martin and stretch the St. Kilda rucks which we can't do if we play Juice as the # 2 ruck. So that means Newton goes out unless a spot up forward can be found for him.

I would also want to have someone with some pace. Michael Evans, anyone?

Thoughts?

I hear you, but you have to think about team balance, and our opponent.

Saints don't have a super strong ruckman, and are not very quick. You could argue that it is therefore a great opportunity for us to bring in Gawn who won't give us much pace and run but who could give us the upper hand in the ruck.

On the other hand, if we are going to beat the Saints, it's going to be with pace. You bring Gawn in you have to take out a tall, say Newton, or forgo bringing in Bate. Would Bate and Newton give us more run? Probably not, but they would give us a better contest around the ground one would assume.

I think we can try to go with an undermanned ruck division again as long as we have enough quality runners in the middle. McKenzie will help hugely, but losing Bail is going to really hurt.

I would rather bring in Nicholson or Evans or Blease this week, who can give us some zip and some run. Saints are beatable on current form, but we have to be very strategic with our selection this week. Horses for courses, especially as this looks like our last winnable game for the next 3 weeks.

Observations from the the Casey game today:

Bate is clearly an AFL player - we need the coach to find the right role for him. He contested in attack and defence all day today, snapped, yes snapped, a goal from outside 50m.

Laurence has electric pace and creativity and knows where the goals are.

Jordie McKenzie will be an important in for us, his work around the stoppages was crucial and stopped the Bullants from forming an unassailable lead. He seems very fit.

Lucas Cook has great hands and does not have that stringbean look about him that some young talls do. Knows how to move as a footballer.

Tom McDonald looks and plays like he has played 100 games, very good over head.

Gawn's ruckwork ween unrewarded the first half. The game turned when our onballers took advantage of his hands being first in the ball so much.

Morton got heaps of the ball but did not seem to hurt them much.

Howe linked up well and knows where the game is moving in play.

Blease is maturing and seems to be learning when to kick it and when to go for a run. He is not getting caught with it as much.

Strauss kicked out of the backline well but does not impose himself on the contest enough it seems.

Nicholson and Evans quick on their feet around the ball and contest. Ran all day.

Fev plays a team game and talks to his teammates in an encouraging way. He took a two marks today he had no right to take including an unbelievable one-hander. He looks fit in the arms, legs and chest but had the fridge on legs look going a bit. If you went along and did not know any of the history and he was a listed player, you would be saying "why is that guys not playing in he ones?!" Rather than thinking he is taking opportunities away from our young players, I reckon it is possible to think that it is a good thing for them to experience playing with a once-superstar. It was pretty weird to hear myself today call out "Fev.......YES!!" I was not a fan in the past.

We were pretty ordinary early on. Gotch seems an old style coach, telling the players to look each other in the eye after the poor first half. It certainly got the players going, he motivated them well to change the flow of the game.

That is my view on Dees players from the game today, have a read and see what you think, I await the nit-picking and snide remarks seem to always make when you put up something for the Demons who cannot get out to Casey, but hopefully some get something out of it.

Thanks for the great summary Red and Blue Bloke. Much appreciated.

P.S. would have been better without the last para :mellow:

Thanks for all the updates, on Evans from what I have seen he looks good, runs with the footy has pace and good disposal. I'm all for him to be played for Melbourne this week. On Gawn I would play him, you can't give up 11 free kicks at stoppages, he will give a contest.

To me Morton has always seems a bit of a down hill skier, who looks good when we are up and running. Reminds me of Embley who looked great in WC's good years and then disappeared when they were shite and not winning enough hard ball, but now looks great again when WC are up and running.

However a couple of Mortons better games have been against Adam Goodes when he has been given a specific role. So maybe a role against a Brendan Goddard this week may be something the coaching staff could look at. Although there is always a chance he run BG back into form...

Any word on how Robbie Campbell ran out the game? I know it was against nobody, but i'm hoping his game time % was significantly higher than last week.

Thanks to all posters who have updated us who couldn't get to the game, WJ and R&B in particular. It is much appreciated.

It does sound as if Jordie is a certainty (for Bail), and Bate(for Dunn) pretty likely too, both of whom IMO will add some grunt and physicality, dare I use the word "intensity" (I wont use the ND "R" word that has been totally discredited and it appears discarded at MFC)..

R&B makes good points about match ups etc playing a big role on who else will get a gig, NB to replace Garland if N/A as sounds likely.

Also great to hear that big Max held his own, and that the likes of Blease, Howe, Tom McDonald and Cook in particular are progressing.

Interesting comments re Fev's TEAM role - so you CAN teach old dogs new tricks after all!!!

Red. The answer to your question depends on how many vacancies we're going to have?

Rohan Bail and Colin Garland would be out injured.

Lynden Dunn, either out courtesy of the MRP or dropped?

Austin Wonaeamirri might struggle to keep his place as well.

There's still a question mark over whether Juice has a place in the team.

I think Jordie McKenzie and Matthew Bate are automatic inclusions and if Jared Rivers is fit then he goes in for Colin Garland.

Then the question is how bold and daring the selectors want to be. I would bring Max Gawn into the ruck to help out Stef Martin and stretch the St. Kilda rucks which we can't do if we play Juice as the # 2 ruck. So that means Newton goes out unless a spot up forward can be found for him.

I would also want to have someone with some pace. Michael Evans, anyone?

Personally i wouldnt like to see Juice dropped. 1st game back in some time, is involved directly in the first 3 goals on Sat, laying a few nice tackles also inside 50. Not his fault he was moved all over the shop from around the 20 minute mark of the first quarter and thereafter. Poor decision making from the box or trying to fill too many gaping holes maybe? Agree on the ruck situation though. Quite a dillema for us. Juice not the answer there.

Bate (shouldn't have been dropped for both Jetta/Bennell for Sat in first place), McKenzie i agree with but i think Rivers is yet to show real signs that he's turned around the performances so far this year which are no where near his best and at best...just a pass at AFL level. Can't see too many other senior bodied/experienced obvious alternatives down back however given our outs atm. Is a negating player yes, but no damage the other way and loses out more often than not once the ball hits the turf.

B)