Lucas Cook

e25

Sorry but that post is just wrong. Lucas no doubt gave it his best shot but unfortunately was not up to AFL standard. There is no disgrace in this and no need to ridicule

Sorry, didn't mean to cause offence. Your absolutely right that Lucas gave his best shot and its a shame he didn't make it
  • Like 1

A work friend of mine was on the Hawks draft table for some time, including when they had all those selections that got them the 2008 GF. I remember getting out of the car that work morning after the 2001 draft and sympathising with me about Molan, "Perhaps the best player, but his body is broken". He will never play!

I'll go Luke Molan at #9. There are probably worse efforts at other clubs.

Danny Roach pick 6 in 1999 for Collingwood. Played one game and laid one tackle. Could it have been his own teammate?

Mitchell Thorp pick 6 in 2005 for Hawthorn. 2 games and 1 goal.

Guest Fletch

I'll go Luke Molan at #9. There are probably worse efforts at other clubs.

Went back through tghe drafts to 1993. Your 'zero gamers' at pick 12 or under are ...

Luke Molan (Demons) pick no.9 in 2001 'superdraft'. Cruelled by injuries.

Brandon Hill (West Coast) was a pick no.10 in 1998. Picked as a backman to replace the ageing Jakovich/McIntosh but never cracked it for a senior appearance.

Andrew Gowling (Bris Bears) pick no.12 in 1995. Allegedly delisted for trying to sell [censored] to a club sponsor at a team function!

... and then of course the 'Cookie Monster' in 2010.

Saw Cook play for Casey a few times.

He can actually find the footy. Can mark it and can kick it.

Physically however he is a fair way off AFL standard.

He might be a player who comes back into the system in his mid 20s if he can remedy his physical deficencies.

• Like 1

The sad thing is that photo of Lucas is nearly what he looks like now.

Just didn't develop his body at all .... Might be just one of those skinny builds that doesn't fill out. Not Lucas's fault but poor recruiting in my mind. We needed a monster so as Dennis Cometti put it "we've drafted to many weak reids."

Not all selections are going to work out: he turned out to be one of those. And, hopefully, we have drafted that much needed 'monster' Hogan who should be ready to let fire round 1 2014.

Amen.

What is really interesting is that he wasn't given a second chance by any club as a rookie. Clearly 18 clubs believe he is not up to even rookie standard.

I think a large number of us suspected that 12 months ago .

What a truly wonderful decision to select him at 12

I should have added and performs well in the VFL too.

I beg to differ. He got dropped from the seniors several times and started on the bench a number of other times.

Not really what you would do to a good performer...

So now that we have completely buried the kid let's try for some objectivity.

He won AA honours in the under 18's - arguably that puts him in the top 24 junior footballers in the land ( I say arguably as footballers miss the championships because of injury and certain top ten picks have a few off games in the championships and dont make AA).

By my reckoning that makes him at least a top 30 pick.

Yes, it was over ambitious with pick 12 but based on the evidence at the time he was a highly touted draft pick.

What does that tell us? Not that we picked up a footballer with pick 12 who should not have even been drafted by anyone ( to claim that again is retrospectivity of the highest order) - we picked up a footballer maybe 10 rungs too early in the draft who just didnt make it - we paid first round for probably a second round draft pick.

Some make it - some don't - them's the breaks.

Whether Cook will make it is a moot point - some footballers just take longer to mature and are showing little at Cooks age - what I think is very apparent is that Neeld has little interest in project players - his picks are going to show their hands pretty early or out they go.

• Like 3

FCS leave the poor kid alone

Wasn't his fault BP put the no.12 noose around his neck

He must be devastated, i feel sorry for him

Haven't we got better things to discuss than kicking around this kid's carcass?

Agree Burn BP not Lucas..

When his number was called up he said hello....

Bet he was bloody suprised.

Agree Burn BP not Lucas..

When his number was called up he said hello....

Bet he was bloody suprised.

BP: Lucas?

LC: Hello, is it me you're looking for? Cos BP I wonder who you are and I wonder what you do, are you somewhere feeling lonely, will you become a blue?

Tell me how to win Bailey's heart,But I worry you don't have a clue, But let me start by saying,I love you (for the chance to play AFL)

Who is this Cook fella?

The only ones I know discovered the East coast of a LAND DOWN UNDER 200+ years ago.

The other more recent was the CEO of the side the DEES were trying to model themselves on.

Can we now sign off on this Kookie thread.