Demons skipper James McDonald to go on

Yencks

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a tough one. I almost don't feel like posting.

In reality, there's going to be a WHOOOLE heap of criticism for this. The average fan isn't too happy with JMac's individual output OR his on-field leadership.

Truth be told, however, behind the scenes it may be true that he's the most important individual on the list in terms of teaching the kids how to prepare and how hard to work. Putting him next to Robbo, who we all love, for example makes you see why they might be taking his retention seriously.

But I just don't know. At his age, with the Robbo retirement, with Whelan, who is a great trier and is still not even 30 being told he's done... I just don't see the logic. Surely they don't seriously think he'll play 22 games next year... And if not, then why him and not the other three?

I love him and like Neitz, I reckon in the current climate, he deserves to sign off when he chooses. It's not like we're inundated with veterans.

But if he stays, that means a borderline kid will have to make way for the new recruits. 'Land and 'Ology, I fear, will not be friendly to him. Not that that makes a difference to the recruitment people of course...

:D

Wow. I really thought he would retire.

Personally I was surprised when he was appointed captain at the start of the year. I really thought he would be playing a limited number of games to let the younger players get some game time. Im twice as surprised that he will be doing it all again next year.

Guess ive turned into another one of the many, many people who have underated James McDonald.

Not what I would have done but I dont see any issue with this as long as he knows he will need to earn games and not be given a ride in the seniors due to the captaincy.

He would not be costing us much coin and as he is on the veterans there is limited impact regardless.

His body has held up well which would put him ahead of the likes of fellow retirees Whelan and Wheatley.

We are light on for leadership and keeping him captain for one more year may actually see Grimes or another of the kids be ready by 2011 rather than trying to find a filler captain whilst one of the younger brigade mature.

There may be a role for him as a miserly back pocket as we do not have many options to play on the small forward of the AFL.

If he does end up playing out at Casey he will be a good mentor for our young list and the Casey players.

I could say various things, Icould express disappointment, but its realy only my viewpoint. There are obviously circumstances and factors in play here that warrant Junior to continue in his role and if he and the club are fine with this then all power to ya James !! Youve got a very important job to do. Am sure he'll do it with ardour and dedication. He is after all a fair dinkum Demon :)

This is a tough one. I almost don't feel like posting.

In reality, there's going to be a WHOOOLE heap of criticism for this. The average fan isn't too happy with JMac's individual output OR his on-field leadership.

Truth be told, however, behind the scenes it may be true that he's the most important individual on the list in terms of teaching the kids how to prepare and how hard to work. Putting him next to Robbo, who we all love, for example makes you see why they might be taking his retention seriously.

But I just don't know. At his age, with the Robbo retirement, with Whelan, who is a great trier and is still not even 30 being told he's done... I just don't see the logic. Surely they don't seriously think he'll play 22 games next year... And if not, then why him and not the other three?

I love him and like Neitz, I reckon in the current climate, he deserves to sign off when he chooses. It's not like we're inundated with veterans.

But if he stays, that means a borderline kid will have to make way for the new recruits. 'Land and 'Ology, I fear, will not be friendly to him. Not that that makes a difference to the recruitment people of course...

:D

Spot on Dappa D.

Not the same hard line as with Ooze, Whitey Wheels Wheater & Robbo. Sadly Macca at 33 clearly will not be part of the success of the young group MFC has and is building as finals window is 2011 to 2015.

Hopefully Junior playing on will not turn out badly next year as he has lost a yerd this year and clearly struggled during the middle of this year (injury or form?).

Perhaps Club's view would be different if he was not the captain and there was a ready candidate for the captaincy

Interesting.

>

>

>

Let me just say, it will be interesting for positions, particularly within the midfield.

Probably confirms use of the first 4 picks - 1,2,18,34. & PSD#1. Unless there is another delisting coming. (ie Bartram)

Valenti supporters, how do you feel?

Edited by High Tower

Keeping McDonald doesn't effest how many players we can draft only the rookies. We will have elevate Bruce to Veteran Status to replace Robbo creating 1 spot on our list. The club decided that McDonald as the captian of the club had more to offer the club next year then Robbo and Whelan.

There are obviously pros and cons in this situation, and I'm quite happy for Junior to go around again if he feels his body is up to it. However I would take the captaincy off him, thereby putting less pressure on the FD to continually pick him in the team, even if he is struggling. He should stick around and mentor whoever is going to take over the leadership from him.

And wouldn't it have been the nice if other, equally successful members of our senior team were given the same luxury when it comes to deciding their own future...

It doesn't because Robbo will be replaced on the veteran's list by Bruce, and there is no-one else eligible. McDonald could only be replaced by a final rookie pick.

Six weeks ago, I thought he was gone. I've changed my mind over that period based on his performances. I would be very surprised if he spent much, if any, time in the middle next year but his work ethic is a valuable one in a developing side. I certainly could see him filling a pocket (either forward or back) similar to the role Lockyer has played with Collingwood over the last couple of years.

I tend to think that it also gives the coaching staff another year to see if a standout appears for the captaincy role. My view is that there is not one at the moment.

I do like your preference there Jaded, to take captaincy off of Junior and have him earn his spot. He may of course stay inleadership group and be very capable i would imagine.

No one ought to be an automatic start..no one..it breeds complacency

Playing out of the backline on small forwards may be an option for McDonald. I can't see them taking the captaincy from him and keeping him on the list. Surprising decision but no doubt the club looks at this as a weak draft and sees McDonald as far and away the best leader on the list. His last month or so have been pretty good, if he can maintain that form there's no reason why he can't go around again. In saying this I was pretty sure he would be gone at year's end.

What a disgrace !!! Yes the guy has had a good career, Servicable at best !!!

How can you let Russell Robertson go and the age of 30 with still a bit offer and renew the contract of a guy that is obviously finished. I am simply stunned at this descision and it really smacks of double standards.

Shoot me down if you like but next to Clint Bartram, James McDonald has been one of our worst players this year. I should know as I have been to EVERY single game this year including Tassie for the NAB cup !!

I'm feel sorry for Russ, and Brad Green who should be our next captain !!

Have a good hard look at yourself MFC, So much for the youth policy !! [censored] off !!!

Junior has most definitely lost his edge on the ball, and I was all set to join the call for him to pull the pin. But the last few weeks he has shown he has plenty to offer as a backline stopper. He makes excellent position, is a fine tackler, knows when and where to fill space, and is very capable body-on-body. If I was an opposition small forward, I would dread Junior walking over to pick me up at the start of a game.

He's probably got two years in the role if he stays fit.

Shoot me down if you like but next to Clint Bartram, James McDonald has been one of our worst players this year. I should know as I have been to EVERY single game this year including Tassie for the NAB cup !!

I suggest you need to watch the games you have attended, a little closer.

And show some respect - he's our captain.

Not what I would have done but I dont see any issue with this as long as he knows he will need to earn games and not be given a ride in the seniors due to the captaincy.

He would not be costing us much coin and as he is on the veterans there is limited impact regardless.

His body has held up well which would put him ahead of the likes of fellow retirees Whelan and Wheatley.

We are light on for leadership and keeping him captain for one more year may actually see Grimes or another of the kids be ready by 2011 rather than trying to find a filler captain whilst one of the younger brigade mature.

There may be a role for him as a miserly back pocket as we do not have many options to play on the small forward of the AFL.

If he does end up playing out at Casey he will be a good mentor for our young list and the Casey players.

The most sensible summation of the situation so far.

I am surprised by the antipathy toward Junior and the underestimation of what he brings to the Club and the players.

Together with Neitz, Junior would have to be one of great unsung heroes of this Club over the past 10 years. 2 Blueys, 233 games and countless times Junior is the often the one and only MFC player at the bottom of packs contesting the hard pill. From the 1996 rookie draft to the Captaincy, I dont think there is a player that typifies the true concept of leadership on and off the ground at MFC more than Junior.

Its not about whether he will be around for our next flag and its certainly not about any misconceived luxury of playing out your career at one Club. Its what Junior brings to a Club and a young list where true leaders have been scarce in a young inexperienced list and the future leaders need appropriate mnetoring and guidance on the long road to success down the track. He needs to justify his spot in the side as a player and next year it will be in a defensive role. And as BRFE says if he ends up at Casey he will be a marvellous mentor for our young players.

When he does hang up his boots I hope he gets all the accolades that he deserves for an outstanding selfless contribution over many years.

This is not sitting well with me.

I have said all year that junior is not up to the modern pace of the game, next year it all goes up another notch.

Robbo meanwhile shown the door????

I hope the Club has made the right decision.

I love JMac but there does come a time

2010...here we come

He could do that without being on the MFC list. I acknowledge that Junior has had a great career but he is 33 in a few weeks and getting slower and I don't feel it would be best for him and the club to go on next year. Yes he is an experienced player but so are several others. IMO he will struggle to get a game and most good players retire rather than end up playing in the reserves for the rest of the year.

He deserves better than that and should go out on top.

Green as Captain for a couple for years until the next one presents himself with Davey as his deputy would work well and provide great pride and incentive to our current and future indigenous players.

If Junior retires we have another rookie spot on the list and that kid may one day emulate Junior.

IMO it is an extremely short term view to keep Junior and not in the best interests of club or player.