The Oscar Allan Thread

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Storm Boy said:

Honestly, our priorities are to get some much needed Midfield depth in the draft and I wouldn't be surprised if we put our first rounder on 2025 on the table to secure 2 midfielders in the first round. 

This is the year to do it I reckon. If the wishful thinking of neutrals is anything to go by: our window is shut, the culture is in crisis and we'll be back on the bottom sooner than later. So let's get some club to throw us their first rounder in the hopes that our 2025 is a high pick. A team with a glut of young kids, academy players and no need to add another, might be the way to go. Gold Coast or GWS could have a pick 10-12 to give us 

Edited by John Demonic

The only way we will win a flag over the next few years will be drafting a big gun or two. 

would be awesome but can’t see it

• Like 1

Regardless of whether or not the rumour is legitimate, you’d be negligent not ask the question of any good key forward, especially one who might have a connection to your club 

I reckon a lot will depend on a) what pick we end up with and b) how confident we are in players like Rivers becoming regular midfielders

You’d be loathe to pass up an opportunity to draft a top midfielder with a top 10 pick, but it would be easier to pass on say pick 12-14 if it got you an established player, not least one in a position we’ve been in need of for years 

And if Rivers continues to show his wares as a midfielder, our need for another midfielder might decrease

Time will tell

• Like 1

I repeat, Jeffo’s  improving and imo Verrall will make it as a big key forward and back up ruck.

We need elite inside and outside mids.

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

5 hours ago, layzie said:

Come on down Oscar! It's open season on the West Coast fire sale.

good about time that cashed up club, which gives little back to the WAFL, had lots more heartache!

13 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

At this stage I’m not getting too excited by a rumour posted by a click bait jock with little credibility - unless of course ET confirms it.

spot on Crompton - hey, didn't you run down the wing of the G? - click bait jocks are jockheads!

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

He’s a gun. I was watching him on Sunday and told my husband how much I’d love him at Melbourne next to Roo. He’s really bloody good!

He is when his body holds up. Unfortunately, it keeps letting him down. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

He is when his body holds up. Unfortunately, it keeps letting him down. 

That’s a different story and I didn’t know he had a bad knee. Everything I know about West Coast is against my will, so it’s news to me. 

Definitely a brilliant player when fit. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

You trawling the player's family Facebook pages again Dazzle? Shame on you!

🤣

Mate I'm not Lord Nev.. 😆

• Haha 6

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I repeat, Jeffo’s  improving and imo Verrall will make it as a big key forward and back up ruck.

These guys aren't winning you big games or finals anytime soon.

Oscar Allen could be a 3-4 goal difference come September. 

He kicked 53 goals last year. Put him in our forward line last year and we win the flag. 

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Swooper Northey said:

Oscar Allen is arguably the best young tall in the game. At 197cm he's a superb forward who kicked 53 goals last season, is super competitive and can ruck when needed. At 25 years of age, he's precisely the forward we need. Imagine a forward line of Allen, JVR, Pickett, Fritsch and co. 

He's a quality player no doubt but I'd put Larkey ahead of him. Either one would be a welcome addition!

5 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

reckon sam is barking up the wrong tree / looking at the wrong meth coke key forward

i thought it was waterman we'd made a decent off to?

I guess we could squeeze both in if we must.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

He kicked 53 goals last year. Put him in our forward line last year and we win the flag. 

Absolutely agree. Allen would bring instant firepower and all of our forwards - JVR, Fritsch, Pickett and co would be better for his introduction. A forward line with that quality would seriously scare some opposition defenders. 

Edited by Swooper Northey
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I am not saying he wouldn’t be great for us, but just can’t believe it will happen and therefore I am looking internally to evaluate what we already have.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I am not saying he wouldn’t be great for us, but just can’t believe it will happen and therefore I am looking internally to evaluate what we already have.

It feels like the position we were in a few years ago when a concerted effort was made to address our key defensive stocks. We traded heavily back then (I remember some arguing we paid too much) for Lever and May, but those decisions well and truly paid dividends. Just as we addressed those defensive needs, the time to address our long lasting forward issues is now, otherwise I fear we'll waste some of the generational talent on our list. A quality, competitive key forward to partner JVR would be rare gold for the MFC.

• Like 2

I still can't believe Peter Matera signed a Heads of Agreement to play for us. He changed his mind a couple of days later but he was in his prime at the time. Would have been the best recruit of all time for us (until S.May) and he was W.A born and bred. So I am using that as hope. A 30 years ago "almost trade" from WC.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Wizard of Koz said:

I still can't believe Peter Matera signed a Heads of Agreement to play for us. He changed his mind a couple of days later but he was in his prime at the time. Would have been the best recruit of all time for us (until S.May) and he was W.A born and bred. So I am using that as hope. A 30 years ago "almost trade" from WC.

That was on the eve of 1998 season.

Imagine had we got him on board.. could he have been the difference in winning that flag in 98.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

It’s funny to think that WC have been in rebuild mode for 2-3 years and we (in a phase of contention) fielded the younger team on Sunday.

The Eagles still have depths to fall to yet. The turnaround could still be 3-5 years away, genuine contention even further off, by which point Allen will be in his 30’s.

Unfortunately for Allen, he didn’t earn a regular spot in the team until after their premiership and I could believe that being so close to success once and being so far away now could prompt thoughts of a move.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

Love the idea of having Allen. Deadset gun with a dodgy knee. I can't see him moving east. If he wasn't a fan of Simpson he'd be less likely to move now. Besides, we need a first-round mid to hit him lace out (and a ruck and a KPD etc etc). Shades of Ben Brown with a price tag but entering his prime.

BBB turned out to be a massive asset for one season - helped us to the 🏆.   Is OA's knee anywhere near as bad as BBB?  IF he was interested, then a very thorough medical assessment would be mandatory.  At his age we would be looking for way more than the one great year we got from BBB.

1 hour ago, demoncat said:

Regardless of whether or not the rumour is legitimate, you’d be negligent not ask the question of any good key forward, especially one who might have a connection to your club 

I reckon a lot will depend on a) what pick we end up with and b) how confident we are in players like Rivers becoming regular midfielders

You’d be loathe to pass up an opportunity to draft a top midfielder with a top 10 pick, but it would be easier to pass on say pick 12-14 if it got you an established player, not least one in a position we’ve been in need of for years 

And if Rivers continues to show his wares as a midfielder, our need for another midfielder might decrease

Time will tell

Rivers is grasping the opportunity that CP5's injury has offered him - if he continues on current form he will become a permanent mid IMO.    And Windsor is also well on the way - another preseason and the sky will be the limit.  CO13 surely will, with a preseason, be back towards his lofty heights next year.  Sure if a Harley Reid fell into our laps we couldn't say NO

20 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

That was on the eve of 1998 season.

Imagine had we got him on board.. could he have been the difference in winning that flag in 98.

We had him. And then his whole bloody team turned up at his house and convinced him to remain an Eagle.

Bastids !

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Agree on Jeffo but not sure he’s a big factor until 2026 at the earliest. A dozen or so games next year would be a good result.

Don’t agree on Verrall any time soon. Nice player to have on the list but not convinced he can be pencilled in for a while yet.

The question I have is: Is JVR or Jeffo a number 1 target? Or are they 2/3’s in which case a number 1 is a priority. 

And if not a ready to go forward/ruck is still a priority.

Agree the midfield is the bigger issue although there’s more pathways to improve that. If they decide they need one and can get a gun forward they have to do it and patch the midfield before further future improvements.

• Like 3