PREGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, seventyfour said:

The 5 day break shouldn't be an issue. Stats show that it becomes an issue when you either have a significant difference to the break of your opponent, or when you're having multiple consectuvie short weeks.

Carlton will only get 1 extra day rest, and we had long breaks between the past two games, so it's not a factor nor an excuse.

It was a fair excuse for the loss to Brisbane. Repeat short turnarounds compounding.

After the Carlton game, we have breaks of 9 days, 7 days, 7 days, 8 days and then a bye. After the bye, there aren't many big games that would get scheduled for a Thursday or Friday, so we should avoid many more short turnarounds.

Pretty sure there won't be any more Thursday night matches in the remainder of the fixture (which I think is due to be released this week or next?). (Edit: plus we've already had two 5-day breaks which I believe is the maximum allowed for a side under the current CBA)

But we do have the following options for prime time:

1. Round 16 away vs Brisbane (we're on the Saturday night at home to North the week prior)
  2. Round 18 home vs Essendon
  3. Round 19 away vs Fremantle
  4. Round 20 home vs GWS
  5. Round 22 home vs Port
  6. Round 24 home vs Collingwood

We've had four Thursday nights, ANZAC Eve and King's Birthday to Round 15, but no Friday nights, so I'd like to think that, given we'll be doing OK at the time they release the remaining fixture, we might be in line for a few more prime time matches from that slate.

Agree otherwise though that whilst the 5-day break this week is difficult, it hopefully won't hit as hard as the one leading into the Brisbane game did given the previous weeks.

Edited by titan_uranus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FoxSports have mentioned the following on McAdam, very interesting as many believe he was concussed. 

New recruit Shane McAdam also played minimal game time on Sunday in the VFL, but for different reasons - he withdrew himself at after just a quarter of time on ground time with illness.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Young Angus said:

Get Roy George on our list already!

Played in Darwin last 2-3 seasons.

I am actually surprised he did well in the VFL tbh as he wasn't a standout for Southern Districts who is the local club of Maysey

3 hours ago, speed demon said:

My guess is a player well-conditioned to AFL football would be able to adequately recover after five days under optimal circumstances (eg in Melb likely better than in Adelaide).

The bigger issue is, doing so requires a big reduction in training load between matches and, particularly when repeated, this has a negative impact on maintaining fitness. Of course, a short break one week usually means a longer break between games the next week and thus the opportunity to do extra training to partially offset previous reductions.

I'm sure the high performance team have meticulous plans for all this load management. Getting it right for 20+ individual athletes would be a huge task. 

With the Carlton game likely being predicted to be a tough game a long way out, I'm guessing the players will be allowed to recover to optimise performance (perhaps if we were playing Nth Melbourne they may have pushed the training a little more).  

One would hope that it is all being appropriately managed and one can remain confident that such is the case, given our performance experts and their bank of appropriate strategies. My main concern would be, perhaps, the longer-term effects of these short recovery measures, as the toll rises in terms of 'almost instant' recuperation from tough or toughest games. The season, unlike in my day, is really a long one and filled with far more competing teams, thus more games to be played; across the past few years, injuries and susceptibility to injury or fatigue have played a role in our finals campaigns. This has not been a positive outcome, moreso a disappointing result and we (MFC) have been booted in the bum to make way for more fortunate season campaigners. Of note, some of the finalists have fared better than the Mighty Demons in the fixture arrangements, even with the luxury of 'managing' swathes of their personnel for the benefit of what might still come, once rested. Any scrutineer making such observations of the AFL's scheduled 'demand' for a team to be ready in less than 6 days could at least probably (or actually) be able to nominate those 'fortunate ones' with a 'favourable' draw. May the gods of the calendar see fit to make each week of football more equitably spread, for all. I reflect on footy teams in the comp as what Fogarty analysed as 'Fortunate One'. 

On 05/05/2024 at 08:24, leave it to deever said:

I don't want to be negative but that game probably drained us a lot. The five day break really annoys me. Will it have an impact?

Five day breaks always have an impact especially after the Geelong game which was taxing.  I expect us to be flat against Carlton.

11 minutes ago, greenwaves said:

Five day breaks always have an impact especially after the Geelong game which was taxing.  I expect us to be flat against Carlton.

They’ve played more footy than us lately. We’ve had a bye pre Richmond and 10 days pre Cats, I think it’ll be the Blues who are flat. They’ve had successive big games against GWS, Pies and Cats. We should be pretty close to cherry ripe. 

• Like 2

FOUR Blues will undergo tests to assess their availability this week. 

Zac Williams (glute soreness)
• Subbed out of the game on Friday night with glute soreness
• Availability: Test

Mitch McGovern (hamstring)

Caleb Marchbank (back)

Jack Martin (hamstring)

Player

Injury

Update

Matt Carroll Groin Remains on a modified program for at least another month due to groin soreness.(Update: 30 April)
Sam Docherty Knee Suffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Lachie Fogarty Wrist Commenced running program.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 11. (Update: 16 April)
Caleb Marchbank Back Test (Update: 7 May)
Jack Martin Hamstring Test (Update: 7 May)
Mitch McGovern Hamstring Test (Update: 7 May)
Jesse Motlop Hamstring Suffered a further hamstring injury in recent days.
Availability: 4-5 weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Adam Saad Hamstring Medium-grade hamstring strain.
Availability: six weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Jack Silvagni Knee Has begun initial stages of rehab following surgery.  (Update: 21 February)

7 hours ago, FTB said:

IN: Bowey, Hunter

OUT: Laurie, Billings

Woey sub.

I think Hunter is a backward step, we’ve got our wingers in Windsor & Langdon & can’t really see Hunter in any other position 

l’d like to see Laurie play a full game, not just one quarter as the sub 

in Bowey & Laurie

out Billings & Woey

either of the outs as sub

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, adonski said:

In: Bowey
Out: Woewodin

I wouldn’t drop Woey he’s been very good. I would make Billings sub and bring Bowey in. Allowing us to push Rivers further into the middle or perhaps even give Woey some time at half forward. 

Carlton has a very strong forwardline like Geelong, but unlike Geelong their midfield is also exceptional and very good at winning the contest. If Rivers can push further up the ground in ball ups, it might allow us to win more contested ball and propel more attack from half back, which is our new “method”. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Doubt we'll change a team that just beat top of the table and a flag favourite.

Maybe bowza for joey but joey's been ok and they may want to get some match practice into bowza via Casey?

Edited by Demon Dynasty

2 hours ago, greenwaves said:

Yea me too. And yea I imagine that game drew a lot of energy. Hopefully a very light training run and the fact we had the bye not long ago will help. Stupid fixture.

2 hours ago, Demonland said:

FOUR Blues will undergo tests to assess their availability this week. 

Zac Williams (glute soreness)
• Subbed out of the game on Friday night with glute soreness

Mitch McGovern (hamstring)

Caleb Marchbank (back)

Jack Martin (hamstring)

Player

Injury

Update

Matt Carroll Groin Remains on a modified program for at least another month due to groin soreness.(Update: 30 April)
Sam Docherty Knee Suffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Lachie Fogarty Wrist Commenced running program.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 11. (Update: 16 April)
Caleb Marchbank Back Test (Update: 7 May)
Jack Martin Hamstring Test (Update: 7 May)
Mitch McGovern Hamstring Test (Update: 7 May)
Jesse Motlop Hamstring Suffered a further hamstring injury in recent days.
Availability: 4-5 weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Adam Saad Hamstring Medium-grade hamstring strain.
Availability: six weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Jack Silvagni Knee Has begun initial stages of rehab following surgery.  (Update: 21 February)

I’d be really surprised if they bring Martin straight back in considering his history. He’s as good a chance to be subbed off in the first qtr.

7 hours ago, Sydee said:

Bowey hasn’t played since round zero and I saw nothing from Hunter at Casey to deserve a call up 

To me the only two that could put their hand up from Casey were AMW and Roy George who isn’t on our list 

Didn't see the Casey game, but watched highlights of him at Peel Thunder in 2020. He looked good then and looks a likely type at 22.

On 06/05/2024 at 10:19, Gawndy the Great said:

We win this and I think we consolidate  our premiership credentials. We lose and we go back to the pack. 

A lot riding on this game then.

:goody:

• Like 2

McAdam, not concussed was ill last week… 

Bring him in! 

In: Mcadam & Bowey 

Out: Woewodin & Laurie 

Move Billings to the Sub. 

15 minutes ago, GCDee said:

McAdam, not concussed was ill last week… 

Bring him in! 

In: Mcadam & Bowey 

Out: Woewodin & Laurie 

Move Billings to the Sub. 

McAdam hasn't been able to get through a full game at Casey yet. I'd want him to do that before we give him the call-up. 

• Like 3

Prior to the Geelong game I was confident.  All the love was for the Cats and they were due for a loss. This week we've had all positive media so will need to live up to the hype. 5 day break is a concern although Carlton are coming into their third tough game in a row in 13 days. That is definitely a mitigating factor. Blues are possibly getting a few back also. Reckon we're the better team but we'll need to be at our best. A win would be massive for our season but the Baggers will be desperate to stay in the race and the eight. Team selection could be telling.

• Like 6