PREGAME: Rd 08 vs Geelong

10 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

The only nail biting part of the 2021 final against them was May going off with a hammy 😂

The last home and away game in 2021 was nail-biting. 😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

11 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

No change for us but they’re ‘managing’ O’Connor (who I thought was certain to go to Trac) and Parfitt (who’s been arguably their best mid all year)?!??

Hope we lay the absolutely smack down on em

Yes, it's time to choke the Cats. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

I get it's hard to conceptualise how brutual and taxing the game is on the body until you've done it yourself.

It's such an odd thing to personalise Parfitt's (or anyone's) 'management' as a statement of arrogance as opposed to 'literal' management of his fatigue and loading for a competition whereby most athletes will be running effectively 30-40km weekly, plus all the intense contact that comes weekly, and still having to put in those km's - and then doing it  8 months of the year...

Here's the thing: managing players is a crucial strategy in today's elite sports.

Squad Rotation: Teams have a larger pool of talented players than just the starting 22. This allows coaches to rotate players to prevent fatigue and injuries.

Match-Specific Strategies: Every opponent presents a different challenge. Coaches might choose players who have a specific skillset that directly counters the strengths of the team they're facing.

Injury Management: Even minor niggles can be a concern for elite athletes. A player might be listed as "managed" to avoid aggravating a slight injury and ensure they're fit for important games later in the season.

That said, it's also fair to acknowledge the complexities involved. Without being privy to the inner workings of a team, it's difficult to definitively judge the motivations behind a player's "management."

There could be a genuine need to manage fatigue or a niggling injury, or perhaps there's a tactical consideration at play. Ultimately, the goal should be to maximize the team's success while prioritising player well-being.

Open communication between coaches, players, and the public can help foster trust and understanding in these situations and, the reality is, is that that information is rarely for public consumption.

He may just of been snorting coke all week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Not sure if Woey has been great down back . Line ball.

Goody doesn't really change a big margin win. Fair enough.

I agree Deever but will give him another shot. We'll likely make changes for Carlton off a short break. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Juicebox said:

For the cats so far this year, Parfitt is:

- 1st tackles (ave 6.8)

- 2nd clearances (ave 5.2)

- 1st contested possessions (ave 9.3)

Geelong actually run pretty thin in the guts and Parfitt out is significant. Personally I don’t think our midfield has fired as a collective all season. Sure we’ve had cameos that’s help us get us over the line. But satday night I wanna see us flex in the midfield and dominate this one start to finish. A 50+ point win. Don’t “manage” your guys against us you arrogant [censored]. [censored] I hate Geelong. 

Looks can be deceiving Juice. Yes at the source he's been handy at getting the ball and pressure is VG.   I'd def rate this side of his game so far in 24.

With ball in hand however he is well below AFL average including ...

> Kicking efficiency 44% (AFL ave is approx 64%).

Sparrow for example, who most would not consider a great kick by any means (set shots & long set shots aside) is running at 66%.

Viney, who is not often lauded for his kicking skills... 64%.

Clarry another, who is often criticised for his kicking skills and who is way off his best (player rating down approx 33% so far vs 2023), kicking at 51% (his usual average is 56%)

> Effective disposals 11 (AFL ave is approx 14)

Sparrow, who is 4th in line behind our big three, averages 11.

Clarry, having an ordinary year by his standards, still averaging 16 effectives (above average).  Usual average for him is 20 (elite)

I guess what i'm saying is i don't rate him as highly as some might.

Having said that, i agree re not batting deep in the mid field, especially with Danger out.   Their 'managing' of Parfit and O'Connor does smack of arrogance from Scott.

The best answer from us is to make sure we smack them up in the middle and win on Sat night.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

He'd have to put in a couple of blinders to push Sparrow out me thinks Deever.

You never know but probably unlikely.

May take a while but ultimately I see Woey playing more forward or a role in the middle at times.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

A quick look and it’s all good Willmoy. No 15 or 23 in the quartet.

Or 22. He loves us. We do have Andre Gianfagna though.

2 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

I get it's hard to conceptualise how brutual and taxing the game is on the body until you've done it yourself.

It's such an odd thing to personalise Parfitt's (or anyone's) 'management' as a statement of arrogance as opposed to 'literal' management of his fatigue and loading for a competition whereby most athletes will be running effectively 30-40km weekly, plus all the intense contact that comes weekly, and still having to put in those km's - and then doing it  8 months of the year...

Here's the thing: managing players is a crucial strategy in today's elite sports.

Squad Rotation: Teams have a larger pool of talented players than just the starting 22. This allows coaches to rotate players to prevent fatigue and injuries.

Match-Specific Strategies: Every opponent presents a different challenge. Coaches might choose players who have a specific skillset that directly counters the strengths of the team they're facing.

Injury Management: Even minor niggles can be a concern for elite athletes. A player might be listed as "managed" to avoid aggravating a slight injury and ensure they're fit for important games later in the season.

That said, it's also fair to acknowledge the complexities involved. Without being privy to the inner workings of a team, it's difficult to definitively judge the motivations behind a player's "management."

There could be a genuine need to manage fatigue or a niggling injury, or perhaps there's a tactical consideration at play. Ultimately, the goal should be to maximize the team's success while prioritising player well-being.

Open communication between coaches, players, and the public can help foster trust and understanding in these situations and, the reality is, is that that information is rarely for public consumption.

IMO Scott is attempting to keep his players healthy, fit and in form throughout the whole year by strategically resting players throughout. This is not exactly arrogance, Geelong has been able to effectively manage players while banking wins. 

What i find to be arrogant is that they have dropped an inform mid, at the same time Danger has been forced out. 

If Parfitt was injured, they'd list an injury. If Jhye Clark was in because of his hot form, Parfitt would have just been dropped. 

All in all, i think they believe they know they will lose badly at stoppages so they have just decided to not attempt to win this area whatsoever. They believe their rebound defense and super efficient offense will have them win comfortably. I hope we punish them badly from stoppage while shutting down their transition and rebound. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Great post mate.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Is this our sixth night game out of eight this year?

Is the ball more slippery at night?

In any event isn't that a lot of night games. I don't mind but just wondering if that's normal.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Roost it far said:

Well... I've been known to quaff Scotch and Coke often! 🤩

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Is this our sixth night game out of eight this year?

Is the ball more slippery at night?

In any event isn't that a lot of night games. I don't mind but just wondering if that's normal.

It's normal for teams that Channel 7 wants to broadcast in prime time.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

It basically comes down to one thing:

Running, it's hard. 

And bloody hard doing it for a long period of time. 

• Like 1

MFC is starting to have Australian cricket team vibes. Harder to be dropped than get in.

In his defence Casey due to list imbalance, retirement of Casey listed players and injury has almost become dysfunctional.

Hopefully we kick straight and win tomorrow night but as a team we aren't clicking.

Against Richmond they played all over us in the last ten minutes of the third quarter and the first seven of the last but kicked only behinds.

Post the two Adelaide games something is not working

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, layzie said:

Running, it's hard. 

In season, runnnig hard to a elite level for seven months.

I like journo Andrew Stafford's analogy of the demands on players in season as running a half marathon every game for seven months.

That's aprox 20km, which is more than they run in a game (the most would be aprox 16km and the average 10-11?).

So perhaps a better analogy would be a 10,000 metre race every game for seven months.

Imagine running a 10k race once a week for 7 months with the aim of achieving a significant PB in the last week.

Add getting tackled, bumped etc every week and dealing with niggles and injuries.

Then add variable breaks between your weekly 10k and different conditions (eg humid, cold, wet, different surfaces etc).

Add interstate flights and having to stay in random hotels (ie not in your home and bed) and constantly needing to adjust your routines.

Hard gig for an individual.

Multiply that by 44 and you get a sense of the complexities of AFL clubs' high performance programs.

And for all the incredible planning the high performance programs involve how difficult it would be to get it right.

It's fascinating the different approaches clubs use.

The cats regularly managed players in the 2022, 2023 and again this year.

Burgess never did, nor Selwyn in 2022. They flagged they would do more of it in 2023, but never really did.

And we haven't done so this year, with the possible exception of how they are managing bbb - which I suspect is more about managing his chronic knee issue than management of fatigue.

Given how critical the high performance programs' of clubs are, it's high time the media included it their analysis. How many people could name more than say 2 or 3 high performance managers?

Edited by binman
  • Like 3
  • Thinking 1

12 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Our top end Is slightly better bu my their talent bats deeper. 

I agree with the first point, but disagree with the latter. Though line bsll. And I can see the argument for me being wrong.Which goes to my point about it being subjective how people rate individual players.

And to my central point that fans tend to over rate oppo lists and that we have an excellent list. 

Whichever way someone lands on the relative strength of the players outside the best 12, which was the initial discussion, it's hard to argue the giants bottom 12 is clearly better than ours.

We could probably all agree that max is the best ruck in the afl. He's certainly the highest rated.

Similarly few would argue tracc is not in say the top 3 mids

But once you are talking about the 12-24 players subjective assessment of players becomes much more variable.

Which is why i chose the giants as a comparison as the consensus seems to be they have the best list. 

Better than the blues (who leave it to deaver suggested had a better list than us), swans, pies and any other contender.

If they'll giants are the benchmark, we meet it.

I think we have the best list, but as noted agree it's line ball with the giants.

Ipso facto, we have a better list than all other contenders.

I'd add that no other contender has a better group of best 25 players (as defined by selection in the ones) 24 years or under, which should be factored into any analysis of the strength of a team's list.

What ever way you slice it, objectively we have an excellent list.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Running, it's hard. 

I am 45, 5’7”, 62kg, reasonably fit. I started training this year for the GC marathon (July) targeting 3’30, after doing 1200km last year as base on top of cycling. 

About 4weeks in at around 40km load a week mostly 4’15- 4’40 and hitting half marathon long run , left side plantar fasciitis (change in shoe probably) - very hilly road running (think 200m+ elevation gains ). how these blokes manage the loads and speeds - in footy boots - is quite amazing, lingers in particular . 

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

11 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

About 4weeks in at around 40km load a week mostly 4’15- 4’40 and hitting half marathon long run , left side plantar fasciitis (change in shoe probably) - very hilly road running (think 200m+ elevation gains ). how these blokes manage the loads and speeds - in footy boots - is quite amazing, lingers in particular . 

You'll like the GC marathon. Flat straight track from memory. I did the half marathon a while back.

6 hours ago, Roost it far said:

So we can say that about players from other teams?

3 hours ago, dees189227 said:

I don't mind the no changes but surely petty has to do something bug tomorrow night 

Fly for some marks?  Bee a forward target?  Flea from tacklers?

He mite otherwise consider cricket.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3