PREGAME: Rd 08 vs Geelong

2 hours ago, BoBo said:

That is an absurd win ration. Wonder if there’s many (any?) teams with a better record than that over a 25 year period. 

it is, but no matter how good they try, it is near impossible to sustain. They will eventually fall off a cliff. Danger and Tomahawk will retire this year. Not much left for Tuohy and Blicavs as well. Jezza and Stewart wrong side of 30. It will happen and the youth arn't all they are talked up to be. Take away 4/6 players above and they are 9-14 side. 

4 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Do we want to see Rivers spend more time in the middle.

I'm wondering whether he could get the assignment of running with Cameron.  It's obviously not his usual role, but he's probably one of the few in the team that has the ability to run with Cameron and have a chance of matching him in the air.

I know we (like most teams) don't like to mess with "our system" but most player struggle when you put genuine work into them.  I would think if Lever is third man up he is likely to help out in many aerial contests anyway.

Alternatively you could roll the dice and put Petracca on him as I don't think either will be overly accountable.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

it is, but no matter how good they try, it is near impossible to sustain. They will eventually fall off a cliff. Danger and Tomahawk will retire this year. Not much left for Tuohy and Blicavs as well. Jezza and Stewart wrong side of 30. It will happen and the youth arn't all they are talked up to be. Take away 4/6 players above and they are 9-14 side. 

I’ve been saying the same thing for 15 years. 

they will trade and stay were they are. 

i’ve given up that they will ever be rubbish

Edited by DubDee
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

No he wont. They'll do the Blicavs and Stanley rotation which will neutralise the ruck for most of the night. Its on Page 1 of Scott's how to beat MFC playbook. 

Even if Max does manage to edge in front, Scott will throw a blanket on Trac and trust Guthrie to monster Oliver so well likely lose any hit-out advantage that Max can create. The Viney matchup will be interesting. I think they'll go with Holmes to exploit his lack of pace. 

Expect Petty to do a number on Stewart, its the least he can do given he is out-of-form. Getting a Henry-Turner matchup will be a good thing as will JVR on Koladskneejkhp (not even bothering to spell check). 

Decidedly pessimistic view GTG. Max will destroy them in the ruck, it’s just up to Max and the kids to take advantage of that dominance. Oliver has clearly been playing hurt and it appears Viney may of been as well. Hopefully they’re closer to their best as if they are we’re every chance.

13 minutes ago, deelusions from afar said:

I'm wondering whether he could get the assignment of running with Cameron.  It's obviously not his usual role, but he's probably one of the few in the team that has the ability to run with Cameron and have a chance of matching him in the air.

I know we (like most teams) don't like to mess with "our system" but most player struggle when you put genuine work into them.  I would think if Lever is third man up he is likely to help out in many aerial contests anyway.

Alternatively you could roll the dice and put Petracca on him as I don't think either will be overly accountable.  

Tmac has a huge tank. He can run up and down the ground with Cameron all day. Wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up with the points on Saturday 

• Like 4

Looking at some keys stats on the weekend shows some of geelongs faults.

they were beaten in nearly every stat and Scott wouldn’t want to replicate this every week. 

inside 50’s -20

tackles I50 -16

Metres gained -300m

Clangers +15

Less marks less handball less kicks.

these are a diabolical set of numbers. The only reason they won was because Carlton has an atrocious defence and let Geelong waltz out of defence unchallenged. They were +22 for rebound 50’s. 

Dees won’t allow them this luxury. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Gawndy the Great said:

No he wont. They'll do the Blicavs and Stanley rotation which will neutralise the ruck for most of the night. Its on Page 1 of Scott's how to beat MFC playbook. 

Even if Max does manage to edge in front, Scott will throw a blanket on Trac and trust Guthrie to monster Oliver so well likely lose any hit-out advantage that Max can create. The Viney matchup will be interesting. I think they'll go with Holmes to exploit his lack of pace. 

Expect Petty to do a number on Stewart, its the least he can do given he is out-of-form. Getting a Henry-Turner matchup will be a good thing as will JVR on Koladskneejkhp (not even bothering to spell check).

😂

12 hours ago, IRW said:

Someone had spiked their pie floaters 

Rory Sloan and who else?

1 hour ago, Oxdee said:

Tmac has a huge tank. He can run up and down the ground with Cameron all day. Wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up with the points on Saturday 

Yeah I was wondering that too... he might do it.   I just think that Tmac doesn't have the sort of agility and acceleration that Cameron does so could get caught out.  But if it's mostly about fitness and marking contests then he's a good fit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I really really really really hope you’re right 

4 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Rohan, Stanley and Duncan also possible/probable exits at year's end.

On other matters:
The Cats scored 10 goals in the first half on Saturday. Dangerfield played a major part in about 5.
He'll be missing.
Tuohy and Ollie Henry booted 6.1 between them. I can't see that happening this week.
Hawkins held goal-less the last three weeks. Fair chance we'll make it four.
Hopefully Judd can do a better job on Miers than the Carlton backs did.
Miers booted 2.0 and a couple of his 22 disposals set up goals.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oxdee said:

Looking at some keys stats on the weekend shows some of geelongs faults.

they were beaten in nearly every stat and Scott wouldn’t want to replicate this every week. 

inside 50’s -20

tackles I50 -16

Metres gained -300m

Clangers +15

Less marks less handball less kicks.

these are a diabolical set of numbers. The only reason they won was because Carlton has an atrocious defence and let Geelong waltz out of defence unchallenged. They were +22 for rebound 50’s. 

Dees won’t allow them this luxury. 

I don't think Scott would be concerned by those 4 stats...

Again, against us in Round 2, 2019, they beat us by 80 points, but lost inside 50 by -24 and clearance by -15, -7 tackles inside 50.

Metres gained is also not a particularly useful stat when you play on slingshot, the metres gained stat is constantly against you, and it's about being efficient when you get your slingshot chance.

Rebound 50s however are a vital stat. 

This shows to me you don't really know what Geelong are trying to do or how they're winning.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2024 at 04:42, Demon Dynasty said:

I take it you didn't see much of Casey on Thurs Gawny?

Bit confused here Pipe.  On one hand you're saying you like Gawny's idea to bring BBB in for Petty and in the next breath you're canning it

I just think we look better with some target to take pressure of of JvR and take the number 1 defender, BBB had a good start to the year, didn't watch Casey. I would rather Petty but If you did take him out its for the structure of BBB. Who else do you bring in for him? Fullarto? Doesn't really give me more hope

10 hours ago, DubDee said:

I’ve been saying the same thing for 15 years. 

they will trade and stay were they are. 

i’ve given up that they will ever be rubbish

They will not flush.

• Haha 3

On 26/04/2024 at 14:17, SthSea22 said:

Woey turned it over every chance he got down back. He isn't a backman

No, he is not.

On 28/04/2024 at 18:52, Dingo said:

Because that’s the way the television stations want it ? To maximise audience ratings? For advertising $$$$ ?

We know that is the case and watch it take place too silently.

Laurie,Spargo,Billings,Hunter all seem to be playing for the same spot.

Spargo is the only one who knows where the goals are.

We cant carry the midgets unless they slot their chances( 1 or 2 per game).

Bowey is the exception because his disposal efficiency is brilliant ( although he should've retired after the flag with a clean sheet at 18).

Dropping Harry Petty won't happen and he'll come good.TMac turns 57 this year and can't go on forever.

Tomlinson racked up 38 for Casey but he struggles in the big time.

Woey Jnr will be a player.

We are going ok and getting some games into the juniors.

Cats have played nobody yet but beat Bris and Carl.

I see no change.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, M_9 said:

Rohan, Stanley and Duncan also possible/probable exits at year's end.

On other matters:
The Cats scored 10 goals in the first half on Saturday. Dangerfield played a major part in about 5.
He'll be missing.
Tuohy and Ollie Henry booted 6.1 between them. I can't see that happening this week.
Hawkins held goal-less the last three weeks. Fair chance we'll make it four.
Hopefully Judd can do a better job on Miers than the Carlton backs did.
Miers booted 2.0 and a couple of his 22 disposals set up goals.

Yeah they're [censored]  and you're hilarious 

The Dee's are a shoe in

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

Again, against us in Round 2, 2019, they beat us by 80 points, but lost inside 50 by -24 and clearance by -15, -7 tackles inside 50.

Metres gained is also not a particularly useful stat when you play on slingshot, the metres gained stat is constantly against you, and it's about being efficient when you get your slingshot chance.

This shows to me you don't really know what Geelong are trying to do or how they're winning.

We are number one in the AFL for rebound 50s.

Tigers, who are playing an almost identical game to us, are number two.

Cats are number three.

Edited by binman
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

Carlton had more scoring shots and more inside 50’s. It’s not that far fetched to suggest that a Geelong loss had potential. 
A team with a slightly better defence and a more efficient forward line could have taken the points. 

15 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

You want to play Petracca on Cameron? Has Petracca ever played in defence before? Wow...that really is rolling the dice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wobbie said:

I immediately put money on Geelong to win by 40+ points

I guess this means it's Geelong by 30 points 😅

Well we've lost by more than 40 pts once in the past 4 seasons and by 30 or more twice so I'd say you've done your dough.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

15 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

First point a good one.

Second point hmm...

15 hours ago, Oxdee said:

I agree, I think TMac will get Cameron. May always get's Hawk. We'll seek a favourable matchup for Lever to be the general. 

The worry for TMac will be Jeremy's turn and sprint back towards goals, he time's those brilliantly it seems, but that's where the other defenders need to help out.

• Like 3