• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Rising Star Nomination for The Duke?

3 minutes ago, Chook said:

As we should. Langdon's really damaging IMO, much moreso than Hunter and probably Brayshaw (Brayshaw's strength as a winger was his versatility, overhead marking and leadership). Langdon was a critical offensive weapon for us in '21, and we moved away from that incorrectly imo. Just look at his game last night.

Langdon was heavily and rightly tagged post 2021, so we had to switch and find different avenues of moving the ball. 
It’s good to see him more involved in the game this year, because as you say he’s super damaging, a good user, quick, and of course has elite endurance. He’s far better than Hunter, and totally different to Gus. 

Windsor is going to be a similar weapon in terms of pace and endurance, but that Windsor has shown that he can go hunt the ball and win contests in close, makes him even more unique. A wingman who can win the contested ball is a rarity. If he can play inside and outside then he is basically going to be impossible to stop. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

I’m sure he will. It’s no wonder that Ed is having his best start to a season since 2021 IMO. Because without an experienced second winger in Gus or Hunter, we are using his wing far more frequently. 
The more we start to trust Windsor the more he will get the ball in his hands. At the moment he’s almost hunting his own ball which is an impressive trait to have as a wingman. 

It's not often i diagree with you Jaded but i don't think Windsor taking the other wing is contributing to Landon's return to form. Langdon is covering ground again at an elite level, he is everywhere' it doesn't matter who's on the other wing. 

I also don't think Windsor hunting his own ball is why he is doing well. He reads the play well and knows how to run into the damaging spots and has explosive pace when he recieves it there.

It's not a matter of the team trusting Windsor it's Windsor backing himself more often and when he does watch out.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

i'm very curious as to whether he stays as a wingman his entire career or eventually shift to being able to rotate into an on-ball role

his ability to break away from the contest is a weapon

I think it would be a waste to not have him play some on ball minutes. Probably shouldn't be now, but in the next 2 years for sure.

• Like 1

Love watching him play, and can't wait to see what he becomes. Gives me a Steven Stretch vibe, but with a lot more toughness. And for a young kid, he is still running late in games which is a huge benefit in its own right.

I just hope the selectors don't give Hunter his place at any stage. He might not get the amount of ball Hunter does but his effectiveness with it is way in front of Hunter's. 

I don't reckon any of his games are Rising star worthy yet, but internally I get the feeling the coaches are ecstatic over what he is bringing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

Langdon is covering ground again at an elite level, he is everywhere' it doesn't matter who's on the other wing. 

Agreed Wrecker. Langdon’s gut running and desire is starting to return. In 2021 he just ran all day long. Good signs his hunger is returning

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Love watching him play, and can't wait to see what he becomes. Gives me a Steven Stretch vibe, but with a lot more toughness. And for a young kid, he is still running late in games which is a huge benefit in its own right.

I just hope the selectors don't give Hunter his place at any stage. He might not get the amount of ball Hunter does but his effectiveness with it is way in front of Hunter's. 

I don't reckon any of his games are Rising star worthy yet, but internally I get the feeling the coaches are ecstatic over what he is bringing. 

100% MB, I should probably research this OP better, but am going to go with 'feel', Hunter seems to receive a lot of outside ball, and I think the team trusted him as soon as he came in, Caleb is earning that same grace that Hunter was gifted with. I never felt like Hunter's disposal beyond 15m ever approached par. I already think Caleb has shown more desire to get his own ball, and is definitely better 'at range' with flatter kicking (great in a wingman) 

Hunter has a mountain of work to get back into the team, and is not best 22 atm. Caleb is crazy brave whereas Hunter is professional and considered, I like Caleb's desperation more. And his fitness is elite, I see no need to rest, bar him getting some sort of knock. 

• Like 1

The kid is just what we need.
Lightning quick line breaker who can kick.
A couple of people have questioned his defensive efforts.
I've been impressed with what I've seen.
He's relentless, must have a huge tank, be interesting to know his kms covered. 
There's a reason Goodwin's playing him and I'll tip the pressure he puts on defensively is a big one.
Loves his defence does Goody.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

Howes, Windsor and Woewodin are eligible and currently playing at the level, and we've got another eight players eligible waiting for their chance.

That's actually a pretty long list of kids whether you cut it by 'playing at AFL level already' or by simple total numbers.

I did some poking around other club's lists to confirm. For example, our coming opponent Adelaide is yet to have an eligible kid play a game this season. Neither has Carlton, Collingwood, Port and probably a few other teams but I think the point is made.

At this point only North have a stronger complement of Rising Star eligible players.

Great analysis. What is interesting is like you said that you'd normally find more eligible rising stars in teams like North, teams at the bottom 'playing the kids', yet we are a contender and forming a good balance to get games into our 'kids' and playing experienced players without compromising team performances. 

• Like 1

What I like about Windsor is obviously the pace, but good foot skills and seriously quick handballs that cuts through congestion. Not afraid to tackle or crack in to win the ball, although probably isn't strong enough to take down the bigger bodies at the moment obviously this will come with time with physical development. Loved that Windsor's low, bullet pass the set up Langdon's goal.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Langdon was heavily and rightly tagged post 2021, so we had to switch and find different avenues of moving the ball. 
It’s good to see him more involved in the game this year, because as you say he’s super damaging, a good user, quick, and of course has elite endurance. He’s far better than Hunter, and totally different to Gus. 

Windsor is going to be a similar weapon in terms of pace and endurance, but that Windsor has shown that he can go hunt the ball and win contests in close, makes him even more unique. A wingman who can win the contested ball is a rarity. If he can play inside and outside then he is basically going to be impossible to stop. 

Langdon wasn't heavily tagged the last 2 years he mainly ran boundary side all day and the opposition knew that,  now he is running more corridor like he did in 21, so maybe game style for has changed for him.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2024 at 10:21, Jaded No More said:

Because without an experienced second winger in Gus or Hunter, we are using his wing far more frequently. 

Is that true/supported by statistics?  I would be surprised if we are actively avoiding one wing because of the personnel playing it. 

On 31/03/2024 at 10:21, Jaded No More said:

Because without an experienced second winger in Gus or Hunter, we are using his wing far more frequently. 

Is that true/supported by statistics?  I would be surprised if we are actively avoiding one wing because of the personnel playing it. 

12 minutes ago, The Jackson FIX said:

I never said we are avoiding one wing, but it’s natural to assume that we are utilizing Ed more while Windsor works on his tank. Langdon spent just 10 minutes on the bench on Saturday, whereas Windsor spent 30 minutes on the bench. 
So of course we are playing thru Ed more than previously when we had Hunter and Gus to complement him, both who had excellent endurance and also rarely came off for a rest. 

• Like 1

Thread title really needs a question mark at the end.  *edit*  Thanks boss!

I keep thinking he's (deservedly) been awarded the nomination for this week.

Edited by Demonstone
  • Like 2

• Demonland changed the title to Rising Star Nomination for The Duke?

He won't get it this week - and i assume the flashier players will get nominated first.

But Howes and the Duke will get nominated after prolonged quality (but maybe not flashy)- spells

Windsor is a flashy player though? His goal was pure class. Just quietly he's looking like a better pick than Reid, but you can't really judge Reid playing in amongst one of the worst AFL teams in recent history

6 minutes ago, mt2 said:

Windsor is a flashy player though? His goal was pure class. Just quietly he's looking like a better pick than Reid, but you can't really judge Reid playing in amongst one of the worst AFL teams in recent history

I don't think so, Reid has already shown he will be a gun.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Total gun. Believe the hype.

I still think we're a real chance of getting him.

West Coast is a disaster zone. I honestly can't see them making finals for at least 5 years.

Their list is terrible. Just one example - paying gaff 800k a year to play in the WAFL.

They need a rebuild just to get to the stage they can do a rebuild.

Will Reid a Melbourne boy, really want to spend 6 or 7 years playing in a rubbish team in Perth?

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, binman said:

Total gun. Believe the hype.

I still think we're a real chance of getting him.

West Coast is a disaster zone. I honestly can't see them making finals for at least 5 years.

Their list is terrible. Just one example - paying gaff 800k a year to play in the WAFL.

They need a rebuild just to get to the stage they can do a rebuild.

Will Reid a Melbourne boy, really want to spend 6 or 7 years playing in a rubbish team in Perth?

Who would be the top 3 destinations for Reid in Melbourne?

I seriously hope it isn't one of Collingwood or Geelong.

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

I'm yet to see much from him at AFL level that convinces me, but it's round 3 and it's so difficult to show your talent playing in such a dreadful team. I'm sure he'll prove me wrong with time. 

I should have worded it better - I think Windsor is more suited to our current needs. Maybe in a few years we'll be in more need of a Reid type, but I'd take Windsor over Reid this season from what I've seen so far. 

53 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Who would be the top 3 destinations for Reid in Melbourne?

I seriously hope it isn't one of Collingwood or Geelong.

He's a boyhood Geelong fan. And when asked what team he would most want to be drafted to, he said Collingwood because of the crowd atmosphere. 

• Sad 1
  • Vomit 2

9 hours ago, Lexinator said:

Great analysis. What is interesting is like you said that you'd normally find more eligible rising stars in teams like North, teams at the bottom 'playing the kids', yet we are a contender and forming a good balance to get games into our 'kids' and playing experienced players without compromising team performances. 

I think we are doing better at blooding kids than either Geelong or Hawks did in their pomp

• Like 2