Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

Demonland

13 hours ago, biggestred said:

There is no karma in footy. 

I thought there was some karma.

Maynard slammed into Murphy, who then lost his bearings and ended up unconscious from the subsequent collision in the '23 grandfinal.

Murphy has been unable to get it together, remaining on long term concussion protocols. 

The wrecking ball strikes again. Very little duty of care, a thug, goes in with intent to hurt any in his way. Turns himself into, ~100kg missile that leads with his shoulder. 

Is the "Angus" shoulder still a worry for him after his surgery?

The AFL cannot afford to have such recklessness from the players.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

13 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

Channel 7, go [censored] yourselves.  Serious.  Join that pit in hell with Maynard and those Collingwood filth.  I hate you.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/brayden-maynard-abused-online-after-angus-brayshaws-medical-retirement-from-the-afl-c-13696703

So they are not going to report the abuse towards the MFC or Brayshaw, are they?

The Media is a piece of filth just like Collingwood.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

6 minutes ago, kev martin said:

I thought there was some karma.

Maynard slammed into Murphy, who then lost his bearings and ended up unconscious from the subsequent collision in the '23 grandfinal.

Murphy has been unable to get it together, remaining on long term concussion protocols. 

The wrecking ball strikes again. Very little duty of care, a thug, goes in with intent to hurt any in his way.

Is the "Angus" shoulder still a worry for him after his surgery?

The AFL cannot afford to have such recklessness from the players.

And what about the coaching staff, these players are told how to act on the footy field.

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

One would hope #10 net season and beyond goes to a special player and person who embodies everything Gus brought to the club and game day.

If they have half the impact Gus had, we and they will be heading in the right direction 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, fr_ap said:

Jane, I think I speak for everyone when I say we feel your anger, rage and devastation. It makes my blood boil too everytime I think about it. 

Know this though - the outpouring of emotion, admiration and community wide respect for Angus today has been outstanding. He's an amazing guy who has the right values, and today leaves a legacy and a mark on the game that is being lauded far and wide. His life will be full for all his days because of it. He will have every avenue of life (other than football) open to him because people support good people. 

If and when Maynard retires, he will not enjoy a morsel of what Gus has experienced today. Maynard will be remembered fondly by a small number of slack jawed yokels, but otherwise does not and will never have the respect of his peers or the general public. It is easy to see that opposition players already don't respect him, and haven't for years. 

His post-footy opportunities will be limited by this. The richness and fullness of his life over the long term will be limited by this. 

We talk about the karma bus - this is what it truly looks like. It's not him copping an injury, or a suspension, or losing an important game - it's the long, slow, day-by-day realisation that he could have been better, and wasn't. Regret and emptiness will be his prize at the end. 

As for his premiership medal - flags aren't about that. They're about fulfilment, mateship and a sense of accomplishment - and his will always have an asterisk against it. Not in my view, but I can say with some certainty in his own mind. Anyone who has ever felt white line fever will watch that incident and can tell he bumped with intent. 

Ultimately he won some footy stuff, but left a body behind and lied on the (kangaroo) stand to get it. That's not fulfilment.

Unfortunately being part of the Collingwood football club will mean that he'll always have opportunities, because there's a lot of filth out there, that will love him and applaud him, Collingwood you might as well say they won that game because of that hit, they put out one of our best players for the game, this is why there should be send off rule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

38 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

Channel 7, go [censored] yourselves.  Serious.  Join that pit in hell with Maynard and those Collingwood filth.  I hate you.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/brayden-maynard-abused-online-after-angus-brayshaws-medical-retirement-from-the-afl-c-13696703

For Brayden

Billy Crystal Crying GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Except Angus didnt have a concussion for 5 years prior to the Maynards Hit>

That's my reading of it too.

He had previous knocks but he had good care and multiple ongoing scans which showed no deterioration until....

The Maynard incident.

I would think Gus would have many scans in his back pocket highlighting/ benchmarking his neurological health along most of his career and through those previous concussions until the QF last year.

Proactive vs reactive.

He's made a point of the incident and the mismanagement by the AFL.

I reckon he and his team might have a crack at the AFL

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

I'm so devastated I haven't been able to post for 24 hours on this. Angus is one of my all time fave Demons (and I've seen every Demon for the last 50 years). It's been a privilege to watch him over 10 years. Always fair, committed, courageous and a club-first player. A premiership star who could play anywhere from half-back to half-forward to mid-field and influence the outcomes of games. Never shirked a tough contest nor gave the Club grief - a model citizen on and off the field. His parents would be justifiably proud of their children.

It'll take me years to get over this. Signing off with a tear in my eye.

QD

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
Typo
  • Like 11
  • Love 2

46 minutes ago, Demonland said:

For Brayden

Billy Crystal Crying GIF by MOODMAN

Same old Bruzzy, always the victim.

anyone going to post or read the vile stuff about Brayshaw online? Or Collingwood supporters cheering Maynard on for taking him out of the game. You are NOT innocent Maynard. The fact it was paid downfield as a free should end the debate. It was a late hit. Outside the rules. 

IMG_1232.jpeg

Edited by Kick_It_To_Pickett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Vomit 2

3 hours ago, binman said:

Personally I'm not going to waste any energy on Maynard. 

Be nice if others followed suit, this is at this point about celebrating a great servant of the club who justifies the faith in us picking him at 3 and the influence he has had on and off field.

We were close to being really up against in that 3rd quarter of the 21 GF, where Gus was immense. He was a fantastic player, a great clubman and remains a wonderful human being with a life ahead of him.

The commentary towards Maynard does nothing but fuel the media towards stories of the impact it may have on him. Whilst we don’t care neither do they, it’s about finding ammunition to fuel repeat articles of supporter hate, when this should be a tribute and celebration of a man who served his club and played a pivotal role in the turning of a club to reach the ultimate 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pennant St Dee said:

One would hope #10 net season and beyond goes to a special player and person who embodies everything Gus brought to the club and game day.

If they have half the impact Gus had, we and they will be heading in the right direction 

Perhaps the club could consider awarding, in perpetuity, the number 10 jumper to say third or fourth year players that  display Gus' qualities of selflessness, leadership, ability to connect people, sense of humor and team first philosophy.

Needn't be the best player - often isn't.

When i was young fella playing footy and cricket, such a player might win the best club man award, which back in th day was often seen as bit of good bloke award given to plodders.

But every team, whether that be in sport, or work, needs such 'glue' people. And I think now we have a much better sense of the importance of people with these qualities in any team environment. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Just now, binman said:

Perhaps the club could consider awarding, in perpetuity, the number 10 jumper to say third or fourth year players that  display Gus' qualities of selflessness, leadership, ability to connect people, sense of humor and team first philosophy.

Needn't be the best player - often isn't.

When i was young fella playing footy and cricket, such a player might win the best club man award, which back in th day was often seen as bit of good bloke award given to plodders.

But every team, whether that be in sport, or work, needs such 'glue' people. And I think now we have a much better sense of the importance of people with these qualities in any team environment. 

Yes my thoughts exactly although there are special players who you identify quickly as culture changers (for the better) , so wouldn’t be locked into the 3-4 year players.

Viney and Gus were such players, some despised him but Joel Selwood was another, like Lenny Hayes 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Be nice if others followed suit, this is at this point about celebrating a great servant of the club who justifies the faith in us picking him at 3 and the influence he has had on and off field.

We were close to being really up against in that 3rd quarter of the 21 GF, where Gus was immense. He was a fantastic player, a great clubman and remains a wonderful human being with a life ahead of him.

The commentary towards Maynard does nothing but fuel the media towards stories of the impact it may have on him. Whilst we don’t care neither do they, it’s about finding ammunition to fuel repeat articles of supporter hate, when this should be a tribute and celebration of a man who served his club and played a pivotal role in the turning of a club to reach the ultimate 

Too bloody right.

I get the anger at Maynard, but personally i only have so much emotional capital and i want to spend mine on my love for Gus and the dees and being positive about our 2024 season. 

Feeding the trolls just encourages a cycle of angst, and without getting all hippy, bad vibes and negative energy. It just becomes a self fulfilling, unvirtuous cycle of negativity. 

Demonland has had enough bad vibes and negative energy this preseason. I don't think we need more. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

1 hour ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

Fairly weak start by the Pies media machine but they’ll be working on some stories of Maynard adopting lost puppies and helping out at food banks etc to step things up

• Haha 2
  • Vomit 3

3 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Yes my thoughts exactly although there are special players who you identify quickly as culture changers (for the better) , so wouldn’t be locked into the 3-4 year players.

Viney and Gus were such players, some despised him but Joel Selwood was another, like Lenny Hayes 

Good point about not being locked into 3-4 year players (i picked that range becuase it would take that long for hose qualities to be fully evident).

But if they did make the number 10 a symbol of a hear and soul player imagine the power and honor of awarding it to an older player at the bluey?

For example, i see Nibbla as a heart and soul player, who like Gus bleeds red and blue. Imagine ahead of his last season he was given the number 10 (perhaps by Gus) at the bluey to honor his contribution. 

I suspect in the their heart of hearts very few oppo and actually despised Selwood, or say Hodge for that matter. 

Who wouldn't want such heart and soul players running around for their club?

• Love 2

2 minutes ago, Dannyz said:

Confirming Angus has officially accepted a role at the club for the 2024 season. 

Hopefully in the media department.

Two birds with one stone. 

by the by it did occur to me yesterday that perhaps there is a reason the dees comms team seems to be staffed by kids on work experience, ie to leave space and funding for Gus to come in and play a key role. 

In all seriousness he would be a brilliant fit. Already doing club comms, smart as a whip, has an interest in media and who wouldn't want to hear Gus interview his ex teammates? 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

26 minutes ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

Fairly weak start by the Pies media machine but they’ll be working on some stories of Maynard adopting lost puppies and helping out at food banks etc to step things up

still waiting for justice-has-been-served to wade in with his big mouth

• Angry 1
  • Vomit 1

Whilst I am disappointed for Angus as his career has been cut short his health is more important, now, no matter what people think about the Maynard decision and the AFL tribunal it seems Gus was one hit away from this happening anyway, it could have been this year, next year but it could have happened.

I wish Gus all the best for his future and he will always have that special connection as a premiership player, the letter that he wrote showed his class as a person of integrity I hope the club looks at involving him in a mentoring or development role for younger players be it full time or part-time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hemingway said:

He may well have all the attributes to make a good coach but why would he subject himself to the pressure and stress of coaching ? We all now know that stress has a major impact on health and all types of disease. Perhaps skills base coaching or mentoring but not game day coaching. 

Personally, I think he will step away from the MFC and footy to consider his future options but hell there is no hurry. Some form of media role would suit him but I reckon he is better than that. I thought he was studying engineering or something that requires greater intelligence than a media role. With some exceptions footy media is a resting place for morons or for people who could not get a job in the real world. 

He seems to have a passion for footy, that is why I mentioned coaching. Ultimately, many doors are open for him, inside and outside of footy, which is a good thing for him ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

So they are not going to report the abuse towards the MFC or Brayshaw, are they?

The Media is a piece of filth just like Collingwood.

The media wanted the Collingwood flag as much as AFL HQ did. I expect the losses from COVID have been recovered as a result.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

14 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

The media wanted the Collingwood flag as much as AFL HQ did. I expect the losses from COVID have been recovered as a result.

Covid was already recovered, Gil wanted a bigger payout.

• Angry 1

19 minutes ago, No. 31 said:

He seems to have a passion for footy, that is why I mentioned coaching. Ultimately, many doors are open for him, inside and outside of footy, which is a good thing for him ...

Agree well said. 

He has so many positive characteristics that enhanced the team. Perhaps we are only beginning to recognise the true value of those characteristics and the extent to which he will be missed. 
He was the thinking footballer that backed up with natural intuition and courage. One of the most courageous players I have seen. Above all else, his versatility across all lines made his role in the team almost irreplaceable. He ranks up there with Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Gawn for contribution, leadership and value. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2