Jump to content

Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement


Demonland

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

How can a club extend a players contract if he was under an extensive concussion measurement program?

Murphy had 1 year to run extend out to 3 years. Knowing he wouldn't play again would love to know what sort of a pay rise they gave him to strengthen their bargaining power for a comp pick.

Very negligent of Collingwood and the AFL for allowing this to happen effectively ticking off on it to futher their case for compensation.

Very suspicious activity allowed to happen and the AFL and turned a blind eye to it all.

Not really, it is nothing but good form from them. Exactly the same as when we extended Jake Melksham to recover from his knee.

I hate Collingwood, but kudos to them for this. Looking after their people. 

Edited by Left Foot Snap
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like the salary cap issue is close to being resolved. Not the greatest result for us but it could have been worse

AFL clubs will be able to exclude from the salary cap a larger percentage of the wage of a player medically retired due to concussion in the initial years following their retirement than they would be in any later years of an outstanding contract under the soon-to-be-finalised “Brayshaw Ruling”.

It means long-term contracts that extend beyond five years could carry greater risks for clubs if they lose a player to concussion early on in their deal.....

 

One club boss, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak freely, suggested the ruling could mean a high percentage of the payments due in the first year or two after a player’s retirement sits outside the cap, then 50 per cent is included in years three and four, and then a greater percentage after the fourth season.

This would mean clubs signing players to long contracts would need to consider the risk of concussion in their dealings with player managers, just as they may if there was a history of other injuries.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/there-s-salary-cap-relief-in-brayshaw-ruling-but-more-risk-attached-to-long-term-deals-20240424-p5fm7h.html

  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

i don't really get the "legitimate football action" argument as some infallible excuse

a smother is a legitimate football action ,,, but then so to is a bump a legitimate football action

however a reckless football action is not.  a reckless bump or smother resulting in high contact/impact are equally not excusable by just claiming them as a football action

this football action narrative is just irrelevant rubbish

  • Like 4
  • Clap 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

i don't really get the "legitimate football action" argument as some infallible excuse

a smother is a legitimate football action ,,, but then so to is a bump a legitimate football action

however a reckless football action is not.  a reckless bump or smother resulting in high contact/impact are equally not excusable by just claiming them as a football action

this football action narrative is just irrelevant rubbish

I put Hamish saying that down to Hamish not wanting to be sued for libel.  Tough to prove in court that it wasn't a football action, though many of us are sure it wasn't.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


49 minutes ago, sue said:

I put Hamish saying that down to Hamish not wanting to be sued for libel.  Tough to prove in court that it wasn't a football action, though many of us are sure it wasn't.

I think you can somehow prove it.

If you bring a proper physics specialist, not like the clown they brought in front of the MRO, you can determine if the action was realistic, i.e. if you can justify the attempt to smother.

Then you have incriminating evidence with interviews where the player said he would be physical at the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hamish says while writing this letter he’d put aside what happened to Gus. The idea being it’s an objective view. But that doesn’t apply beyond the letter… 

819E9911-270D-4A7F-9EBD-0B36DBAAF719.thumb.jpeg.1d01e11856aee9ed116d9e28155ddc5c.jpeg

We love your brother too, Hamish. 💕 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

I think you can somehow prove it.

If you bring a proper physics specialist, not like the clown they brought in front of the MRO, you can determine if the action was realistic, i.e. if you can justify the attempt to smother.

Then you have incriminating evidence with interviews where the player said he would be physical at the game.

Possibly, but would you want to take the risk of losing and being up for damages? Even if you win you may not get your expenses paid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can relate to a lot of what Hamish says here. My love for footy isn’t what it used to be.

The AFL played its hand last year with Angus’ incident, and showed us they would always value money and popularity, over justice and equity. If you tear that social contract too deeply you can never earn back peoples belief.

Now I just watch the footy and laugh at how much of it is like WWE. Commentators essentially deciding tribunal matters on the fly during games, the way the schedule is constructed, and then this weeks literal wrestling kayfabe with Sam Taylor calling Sydney out - obviously instructed by the AFL to create some faux tension for the media.

The AFL has jumped the shark. It pushed its version of reality so far in its own direction that I can’t unsee it’s illusions now.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The heart beats true said:

I can relate to a lot of what Hamish says here. My love for footy isn’t what it used to be.

The AFL played its hand last year with Angus’ incident, and showed us they would always value money and popularity, over justice and equity. If you tear that social contract too deeply you can never earn back peoples belief.

Now I just watch the footy and laugh at how much of it is like WWE. Commentators essentially deciding tribunal matters on the fly during games, the way the schedule is constructed, and then this weeks literal wrestling kayfabe with Sam Taylor calling Sydney out - obviously instructed by the AFL to create some faux tension for the media.

The AFL has jumped the shark. It pushed its version of reality so far in its own direction that I can’t unsee it’s illusions now.

They learned from the Yanks that's for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Filth Supporters are still laughing about it. 
Never Forget….

You should have seen the abuse and anger I copped from a mature, otherwise very sensible Pies fan, when we were discussing the incident.

I said after Maynard got off, that the AFL will 100% outlaw that the next year and he then continued with the abuse and anger. 

  • Shocked 2
  • Angry 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I can relate to a lot of what Hamish says here. My love for footy isn’t what it used to be.

The AFL played its hand last year with Angus’ incident, and showed us they would always value money and popularity, over justice and equity. If you tear that social contract too deeply you can never earn back peoples belief.

Now I just watch the footy and laugh at how much of it is like WWE. Commentators essentially deciding tribunal matters on the fly during games, the way the schedule is constructed, and then this weeks literal wrestling kayfabe with Sam Taylor calling Sydney out - obviously instructed by the AFL to create some faux tension for the media.

The AFL has jumped the shark. It pushed its version of reality so far in its own direction that I can’t unsee it’s illusions now.

Gladiatorial Entertainment 

I despise the AFL, but i HATE the Filth even more….

  • Like 2
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Redleg said:

You should have seen the abuse and anger I copped from a mature, otherwise very sensible Pies fan, when we were discussing the incident.

I said after Maynard got off, that the AFL will 100% outlaw that the next year and he then continued with the abuse and anger. 

“Very sensible Pies Fan” there is the first problem. 
Yes it was all Angus’ fault to them…

Revenge is Best, Served Cold…..😡

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

“Very sensible Pies Fan” there is the first problem. 
Yes it was all Angus’ fault to them…

Revenge is Best, Served Cold…..😡

I still think Eddie's behaviour in the restaurant after Maynard got off was disgusting.

Would love the opportunity to remind him, that he cheered for a bloke getting off at the tribunal, for ending another bloke's footy career and permanently injuring him.

He makes it very hard for me to watch Footy Classified on a Wednesday night, when he hosts, as he inserts the Pies into every topic. It is simply pathetic.

We are not even allowed to change Presidents at Board Level, without being constantly hounded to death by a particular journalist.

  • Like 1
  • Angry 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites


27 minutes ago, Redleg said:

You should have seen the abuse and anger I copped from a mature, otherwise very sensible Pies fan, when we were discussing the incident.

I said after Maynard got off, that the AFL will 100% outlaw that the next year and he then continued with the abuse and anger. 

I've had similar debates with people Red, i asked a mate to find me another instance where a guy has sprinted from 50 meters way, left the ground and knocked someone out in an attempt to "spoil" the ball. Naturally he couldn't outside of some very ordinary looking incidents from decades ago. 

I do believe Maynard wasn't intending to knock Gus out, rather to make a physical statement early in a big final, but he made the decision and it's had massive consequences for Gus and he should have been suspended. 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

I've had similar debates with people Red, i asked a mate to find me another instance where a guy has sprinted from 50 meters way, left the ground and knocked someone out in an attempt to "spoil" the ball. Naturally he couldn't outside of some very ordinary looking incidents from decades ago. 

I do believe Maynard wasn't intending to knock Gus out, rather to make a physical statement early in a big final, but he made the decision and it's had massive consequences for Gus and he should have been suspended. 

Exactly, it's like someone deciding to drive under the influence. You may not want to hurt people but if you decide to drive when you are not in the condition to do so, then you are liable of any injuries.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

 

I do believe Maynard wasn't intending to knock Gus out, rather to make a physical statement early in a big final, but he made the decision and it's had massive consequences for Gus and he should have been suspended. 

I think Maynard had every intention of taking Angus out. The Ball had left the area. 
he executed the Move and connected 100% to the head….😡

  • Like 4
  • Clap 3
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I think Maynard had every intention of taking Angus out. The Ball had left the area. 
he executed the Move and connected 100% to the head….😡

Just call out Maynard for what/who he is.

The Duncan Wright of the 2000's. Forever has the legacy of forcing Gus to retire.

 

  • Like 2
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I think Maynard had every intention of taking Angus out. The Ball had left the area. 
he executed the Move and connected 100% to the head….😡

I am really curious to see how Kings Birthday plays out, i do hope Maynard gets some sort of attention for no other reason than to see the paper tough guy go to water infront of the footy world

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dwight Schrute said:

I am really curious to see how Kings Birthday plays out, i do hope Maynard gets some sort of attention for no other reason than to see the paper tough guy go to water infront of the footy world

He's lucky that he plays on the opposite end of the ground to May. Not so lucky that Viney is only a mere 50m away.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TRAINING: Tuesday 28th May 2024

    Veteran Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin returned to the training track to bring you the following observations from Gosch's Paddock this morning. Beautiful morning for training. The dew has dried, out from AAMI, quiet chatting. Maysie does his heart symbol. 7 in rehab, Turner, Hore, Sestan, BBB, Petty, Spargo and Schache. All in runners. Melky weighted and change of angles work. Salem has his individual program. White cap (no contact), Howes, Woewodin and Sparrow

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    GALLANT by KC from Casey

    The world “gallant” is not one that is readily acceptable to losing teams in our game of football so when it was used in the context of the Casey Demons’ loss to Sandringham in yesterday’s match at Casey Fields, it left a bitter taste in the mouth.  The Demons went into the game against the St Kilda affiliated Zebras with the advantage of playing on their home turf (not that this has been a major asset in 2024) and with very little else going in their favour. The Saints have close to a full

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    MEANWHILE by Whispering Jack

    … meanwhile, at about the same time that Narrm was putting its feet on the accelerator to obliterate the long-suffering Euro-Yroke combination, I heard someone mention in passing that Kuwarna was leading Waalitj Marawar by a whopping 46 to 1 halfway through the second quarter of their game over in Adelaide. “What is football coming to?” I asked myself.  In front of my eyes, the Demons were smashing it through the midfield, forcing turnovers and getting the footy to their forwards who w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

    The Demons head back on the road for the fourth time this season as the travel to Alice Springs to take on the Fremantle Dockers at Treager Park on Sunday afternoon. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 121

    PODCAST: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 27th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG over the Saints in the Round 11. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 28

    VOTES: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    Captain Max Gawn has a considerable lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the win against the Saints. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 54

    POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    After a very wasteful first half of footy the Demons ended up cruising to a clinical victory over the Saints by 38 points at the MCG and ultimately reclaimed a coveted spot in the Top 4.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 388

    GAMEDAY: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    It's Game Day and after 2 losses on the trot the Dees must win against the Saints today at the MCG to keep in touch with the Top 4. A loss today will see them drop out of the Top 8 for the first time since 2020.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 503

    HEAVEN OR HELL by The Oracle

    Clashes between Melbourne and St Kilda are often described as battles between the forces of heaven and hell. However, based on recent performances, it’s hard to get excited about the forthcoming match between these two sides. It would be fair to say that, at the moment, both of these teams are in the doldrums. The Demons have become the competition’s slow starters while the Saints are not only slow to begin, they’re not doing much of a job finishing off their games either. About the only th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...