Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

Demonland

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

For me the jury is still out on Chandler. He's shown some great footy but it's been a while.

We effectively picked Chandler over Bedford. 

• Like 1

It's hard not to be critical of a loss to Richmond, who are widely tipped to be bottom six this season and were arguably missing more big guns than we were - Martin, Lynch, Taranto, Prestia and Nankervis are big omissions for them.

What has worried me for a long time is that we have continually recruited ultra small players and aside from Viney, Petracca and Sparrow, we don't look ultra physical - which is a by-product of being so small. The decision not to get Caddy may yet come back to haunt us, just as the Weideman v Curnow debate was there some time back.

Aside from JVR and when he's up there Gawn - we don't have any players who look remotely like taking a mark - once again that's something that comes with going small with a forward line that includes at least five of seven players under six feet each week. 

And to be honest most of our small players, with the exception of Kossie, aren't explosive speed type players. Even Windsor struggled to get away from opponents, although he was the pick of our youngsters. His kicking was at time abysmal today, but you can tell he will be better for the gallop and even better if he had some quick-moving big targets.

My other major worry is that we have spent summer training with little pressure drills. Maybe that's the plan these days - not overdo it early to avoid injury and get stuck into more tackling drills when the season gets closer. I don't have stats, but I'm guessing we were majorly outtackled and I lost count of the number of pressurised kicks and handballs that were intercepted or missed targets.

The big disappointments were in my view:

McVee - he was so good last year and seemed to be a step behind this time. Surprisingly he wasn't given the job on Bolton, but perhaps that was a deliberate ploy to avoid it before the Anzac Eve clash. Howes played on Bolton quite a bit and enough said.

Fritsch - he's been looking sharp at training, but really couldn't influence things - maybe as has been stated he was playing too close to goals and cut off easily.

Gawn - gees, how many times did he lose front position at thrown-ins and have to push his opponent Ryan from behind - eventually the umps even spotted it and started paying free kicks against him.

Schache and Tomlinson - yep both need to realise their time in the game ends in 2024 unless they lift.

Yes it's only a practice game, but boy, we'd better show some signs against Carlton next week or the season will get away from us and Goody will have to utter Neeld's line - "we didn't see that coming". 

• Like 3
  • Clap 3

13 minutes ago, binman said:

Some take aways:

I suspect they are in a heavy training phase. Cooked after the first 20 min untill half time.

First 15 mins of third up and about after a break. Then cooked again 

Being cooked exacerbated our biggest issue  - our kicking skills accross the board.

Outside of the first 20 mins of the game, even our best kicks turned it over, and our average kicks, of which there are many, were horrendous 

Very much the classic practice match. 

One example was the focus on practising hand ball chains to move the ball downfield

In the last couple of years our practice match has been our main preseason hitout, not the community cup.  I suspect not this year - Max won't be coming off at half time against the blues.

Verell looked ok.

Koz is a star.

Viney was terrific.

JVR will go up one or two levels.

Good to see them give schachw a run in the ruck. Makes perfect sense, and i think is the only way he cements a starting 22 position. Assuming he can improve. 

I know clarry was playing against VFL players, but somehow it made his brilliance even more evident.  Sounds stupid, but I think I had forgotten just how good he is.

Not bothered at all by the result.

Agree with most of your comments Binman. 
However I am amazed at the lauding  of Kossie’s game today.Yes he started in the huts and was busy and notable but extremely wasteful and selfish on occasions. IMO if he gives the option of a handball or his own kick instead of Fong a 20 m run I have a suspicion the four goals we lost by would have potentially been possible. 
It’s a bit different than just radiating between half forward and the goals when you get the ball when you take possession 10m back of the centre circle or even on the forward side. You have to use handball and a penetrating kick to be of value. Not burn others and deliver scrubby ground kicks to leading or running forwards. That’s wasteful. Show him the centre bounce scenarios from the bang bang bang third quarter and get him playing team footy and not Kossie keeping’s off attempts at stardom. 
He only tried the direct once today and still muffed the mark. Let’s get him playing team footy for US and conform to  whatever the mids are in our team strategy. 
And no More ABN and more Salem  in the middle. He straightens us up lowers his eyes and is rarely caught in possession. Also the left foot balances out Vineys sometime average disposal and beats opposition attempts to stop his breakaway. He can always be replaced and half back flanked if required. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

27 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Perhaps you should’ve chosen the DA tent for your vittles. You wouldn’t have missed a quarter of footy queuing, it would’ve cost significantly less, and the proceeds would’ve gone to the DA instead of a private vendor. Never mind, maybe next time 😉

BTW, a huge THANK YOU to those who visited our tent for a sausage and/or a cupcake. We absolutely cleaned up. A steady flow of customers for just under five hours, including a three-hour period where we literally did not stop, exceeded expectations. Richmond fans contributed largely to our takings. I’m sure they’re positively chuffed about that. 😅

Glad the DA had a most successful and productive day today. Also that it was a great day weather wise for all the fans. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 58er said:

Agree with most of your comments Binman. 
However I am amazed at the lauding  of Kossie’s game today.Yes he started in the huts and was busy and notable but extremely wasteful and selfish on occasions. IMO if he gives the option of a handball or his own kick instead of Fong a 20 m run I have a suspicion the four goals we lost by would have potentially been possible. 
It’s a bit different than just radiating between half forward and the goals when you get the ball when you take possession 10m back of the centre circle or even on the forward side. You have to use handball and a penetrating kick to be of value. Not burn others and deliver scrubby ground kicks to leading or running forwards. That’s wasteful. Show him the centre bounce scenarios from the bang bang bang third quarter and get him playing team footy and not Kossie keeping’s off attempts at stardom. 
He only tried the direct once today and still muffed the mark. Let’s get him playing team footy for US and conform to  whatever the mids are in our team strategy. 
And no More ABN and more Salem  in the middle. He straightens us up lowers his eyes and is rarely caught in possession. Also the left foot balances out Vineys sometime average disposal and beats opposition attempts to stop his breakaway. He can always be replaced and half back flanked if required. 

Kozzie was playing Hollywood football. Twisting, turning, ducking and weaving, and then completely butchering his kicks. He actually became a liability and was extremely selfish. He needs to execute the basics 

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

Re Oliver and 'check with the AFL'

I think this is about the rules regarding interchange for the official practice matches. Maybe we want to give Clarry half a game - as well as Salem - so would want an extended interchange bench?

No sugar coating… this was a disappointing start against mid-ladder opposition. Poor disposal got us into strife time and time again. 
positives;

Viney excellent

Max excellent

Kossie excellent

Oliver back and with major impact

Salem very good

Windsor very good debut

Brown very good debut

Verall good signs

Billings very good signs

May, Lever, Sparrow, Bowey all maintaining standards

negatives;

Petracca a great, but too many silly mistakes for his high standards

Fritsch missed opportunities

Van Royen needs to impact more often and also missed opportunities

Chandler low impact

Howes low impact

neutrals; did compete, with some good effect, but also sloppy at times

Rivers, Laurie, McVee, Langdon, Tomlinson, ANB, 

I have not seen the game so my views are biased by your reporting.

It is only a scratch match.

So, pleased that young Brown seems the goods,  Windsor still went Ok,  How did the Kolt go in the two's,   We might have a good trifecta from last years draft.

Not pleased about the failure to stop the run on they had, by the coaches and from the players, someone should have put an end to it. Not pleased that our kicks and handballs failed to get to the targets. Its a scratch match eff all pressure. And it seems our forward 50 entries are the same as last year. Kick it up and hope. And little or no tackling.

Its a scratch match, I will not lose any sleep over it, but still pleased that Oliver and Salem had a good hit out.

The Tigers can take more positives out of this match than we can and that's unhappy.

Await the blues on the Wednesday, that's only a practice match but under more realistic conditions etc.

Still positive for 2024

• Like 1

Take aways from the game.

Petracca is Kouta the second coming, and absolutely flying. Yet still, will play second fiddle to the GOAT, who clearly has been training hard by himself.

Viney looks in sharp touch 

Windsor is already elite (well done JT).

Bowey has lifted another level.

JVR could benefit from our long history of bombing the ball inside 50

Rivers is an A grade footballer. 

Kozi is in rare air. He could be the most talented player in the league. 

GOAT will win his 5th Bluey.

Now to the negatives.

May has lost a yard or ten.

Langdon is finished.

ANB is a bigger liability than ever now he’s fitter than ever - and the ball is in his hands more as a result (he’s a butcher).

Brayshaw doesn’t look up to it.

Salem isn’t a mid, or even nearly a mid. 

Schache isn’t up to VFL standard. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, 640MD said:

I have not seen the game so my views are biased by your reporting.

It is only a scratch match.

So, pleased that young Brown seems the goods,  Windsor still went Ok,  How did the Kolt go in the two's,   We might have a good trifecta from last years draft.

Not pleased about the failure to stop the run on they had, by the coaches and from the players, someone should have put an end to it. Not pleased that our kicks and handballs failed to get to the targets. Its a scratch match eff all pressure. And it seems our forward 50 entries are the same as last year. Kick it up and hope. And little or no tackling.

Its a scratch match, I will not lose any sleep over it, but still pleased that Oliver and Salem had a good hit out.

The Tigers can take more positives out of this match than we can and that's unhappy.

Await the blues on the Wednesday, that's only a practice match but under more realistic conditions etc.

Still positive for 2024

You need to take time out and watch the game. 

Edited by ThreeOneSix

All signs seem to point to dees falling down the ladder this year,

1. We have many more injuries where as 21-22-23 we were much more injury free this time of year allowing us to start those seasons strong.

2. A number of players have signs they may by past there best, Fritsch, Salem ANB to name a few and no one is stepping up to take the slack.

3. How much petrol in the tank do Gawn and May have as they aren’t getting in younger.

4. Will Oliver get back to his best.

I think we still play finals but I don’t think we will be serious contenders this year. Might just be best to look at this as a year of learning 

5 minutes ago, ThreeOneSix said:

Take aways from the game.

Petracca is Kouta the second coming, and absolutely flying. Yet still, will play second fiddle to the GOAT, who clearly has been training hard by himself.

Viney looks in sharp touch 

Windsor is already elite (well done JT).

Bowey has lifted another level.

JVR could benefit from our long history of bombing the ball inside 50

Rivers is an A grade footballer. 

Kozi is in rare air. He could be the most talented player in the league. 

GOAT will win his 5th Bluey.

Now to the negatives.

May has lost a yard or ten.

Langdon is finished.

ANB is a bigger liability than ever now he’s fitter than ever - and the ball is in his hands more as a result (he’s a butcher).

Brayshaw doesn’t look up to it.

Salem isn’t a mid, or even nearly a mid. 

Schache isn’t up to VFL standard. 

Bit tough on Brayshaw.

Edited by binman
  • Haha 9

53 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Perhaps you should’ve chosen the DA tent for your vittles. You wouldn’t have missed a quarter of footy queuing, it would’ve cost significantly less, and the proceeds would’ve gone to the DA instead of a private vendor. Never mind, maybe next time 😉

BTW, a huge THANK YOU to those who visited our tent for a sausage and/or a cupcake. We absolutely cleaned up. A steady flow of customers for just under five hours, including a three-hour period where we literally did not stop, exceeded expectations. Richmond fans contributed largely to our takings. I’m sure they’re positively chuffed about that. 😅

The DA tent was fantastic. Swung past for a snag twice, and one of my kids was delighted to devour a "Petracca" cupcake. Thank you WCW and all of the Demon Army for your contribution to today - I hope it was lucrative - and throughout the season.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

For me the jury is still out on Chandler. He's shown some great footy but it's been a while.

1 hour ago, binman said:

I'm of the same mind. Needs to get involved more. 

Make or break year for him I reckon.

He's struggled ever since he was dropped back to Casey for a short stint last season imho.

There's no doubting his endeavour and work rate around stoppages.  He works super hard to get space on his opponent and to offer an option but im just not sure he has the skills, power and footy smarts to impact at this level outside of the very odd cameo where he does get off the leash after all the hard work to shake off his direct opponents. 

Sometimes i feel he works too hard on the shake down part, which then sees him coming up a bit short with ball in hand.  His ticket's possibly already spent with the first part of the equation!?

Good luck to him in 24.  He had a fab start to 23 before dropping away badly.  Hopefully he can recapture that early form and hold on to it for most of the season.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Pulp Fritschon said:

Chaplin in post game media conference mentioned the club will need to work with the AFL on Oliver’s return to footy.

I thought if fits he plays. Have I missed something? Does the AFL need to tick it off?

Suspect due to Clarry’s recent past we have had to involve AFL for advice and some TLC to perhaps minimize any collateral damage already done. 

Have absolutely no knowledge of this it’s purely thinking over the big picture scenario of dodging a few bullets  maybe. 

Perhaps  Chappy didn’t need to be that expansive in his info. 

Great to see Clarry back on the park enjoying himself which is the biggest take out of the day. Can’t understand why so many fans exited the game after the first 4 quarters. Surely another half hour with Clarry involved was not too much to do halfway through the day. 
When did the players do their signing laps for the fans? Between the firsts and rest games or at end of day when only 1/4 of the crowd were still there? Sorry tv didn’t show either time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThreeOneSix said:

Viney should have the best year of his career. 

That would probably have him winning Bluey, Charlie and Norm Smith. He was phenomenal last year. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

That would probably have him winning Bluey, Charlie and Norm Smith. He was phenomenal last year. 

Oliver only doesn’t win those if he gets injured again. However, if Oliver went amiss, Viney will win the bluey. Smokey for Charlie. 

The match wasn’t a tactical game as such.

The coaches are still having a look and sorting through the players for round one.

Don’t read anything into the scores.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 58er said:

When did the players do their signing laps for the fans? Between the firsts and rest games or at end of day when only 1/4 of the crowd were still there? Sorry tv didn’t show either time. 

They came out at the end of the match, ie. after the seventh quarter.