The Pick 1 Thread

Demonland

4 minutes ago, mo64 said:

My source in Perth said that West Coast see Reid as a flight risk, so they will definitely be trading pick 1. And I still think that he's going to North with either pick 2 or 3 plus add-ons.

Makes alot of sense.

Not like they're in any sort of window.

Imagine putting all your eggs into Reid given WC's present list state and he leaves after 2 seasons.

9 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Sure, I'd take Reid, but he's a Victorian and we're a Melbourne based team. Conversely, there's Curtin who is said to be a ripper, who is a local lad. 

If there's any doubt internally at WC about Reid's desire to return to Victoria, that may factor into decision making here.

I'm entirely speculating here, but I think that's one of the reasons I think we started rumours of Reid not wanting to go west.

It's limited leverage, but implants a concern / variable in the minds of WC recruiters that must be considered. 

What if we just draft Curtin and offer to swap players next year. Both players would agree and it would cost us only 6.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Redleg said:

What if we just draft Curtin and offer to swap players next year. Both players would agree and it would cost us only 6.

Surely not. Unprecedented at the very least.

Edited by Binmans PA

23 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Not a dig but this is an example of supporter bias. 

Also, if West Coast are willing to trade pick 1, they’ll want a pick in return that is going to net them Curtin. 6 is no certainty at all to do this. Pick 2-4 plus another top 10 pick is what the Eagles will be wanting to trade 1. 

Definitely a joke ET. I would never suggest we trade Sparrow and Brayshaw. Swallow and Bradshaw on the other hand..... 

Edited by Rab D Nesbitt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Brockman has officially been traded for picks 44 and 63 already. Helps us potentially as he won't be part of a Hawks bid for pick 1.

Still think 3 1st Rounders for kid we have never seen is a bit much

Edited by Jibroni
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Curtin plays at Casey all year whilst Reid wins the Eagles BnF. They'd be asking for Curtin + 2 top 5 picks for Reid.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BDA said:

WC should draft Reid and back themselves to get their [censored] together and convince him to stay. He's supposed to be generational after all. If I was a WC supporter that's what I would want.

They got 2 premierships out of taking Judd at pick 2.  They will draft Reid and back themselves in to bouncing back pretty quickly.  They have never been this bad but they lack nothing in money, facilities, rabid supporters, and home umpiring advantage. And Reid could not have been clearer that he is happy to go there. 

5 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

They got 2 premierships out of taking Judd at pick 2.  They will draft Reid and back themselves in to bouncing back pretty quickly.  They have never been this bad but they lack nothing in money, facilities, rabid supporters, and home umpiring advantage. And Reid could not have been clearer that he is happy to go there. 

It wasn’t just Judd. They had Cousins, Kerr, Embley and Cox to name a few.

I’m not saying they won’t take Reid, but they will need a lot more than just him over a few drafts to have any chance of a successful rebuild. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

They got one premiership out of Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Cox etc.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gator said:

I think he's referring to Kennedy being pivotal in 2018.

So the second flag wasn't about their ability to back themselves in and keep Judd. It was that they happened to maximise value for him after one flag.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

It wasn’t just Judd. They had Cousins, Kerr, Embley and Cox to name a few.

I’m not saying they won’t take Reid, but they will need a lot more than just him over a few drafts to have any chance of a successful rebuild. 

Yes they will need a lot more than him and no guarantees. They will need to draft the new Kerr (pick 18), Embley (pick 57), Dean Cox (rookie pick) types.

I just think WC will back themselves to use the pick and rebuild around him. Nesbit has been at WC forever and the two times they have had a really high pick they used it with good results. I expect them to use it this year. We will see. 

3 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I can’t see us getting pick 1. If West Coast are going to trade it, it’s going to be with North. 6, 11 and a future first (from a top hour team) isn’t enough. If we were offered that deal in reverse, we’d be laughing. 

What about 6, 11 and Riv?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

Agree that it most likely stays with WC, but based on your analysis, I'd say the second most likely destination of pick 1 is us.

I think you're right in saying North won't want to trade a F1 (1/2/3 in 2024) and I don't think they'll trade both 2 and 3 either, so their best offer will be 2 or 3 + 15.

Whereas, our best offer could well be 6 + 11 + F1 (18 😉 ), and WC could still pick up Curtin at 6 with no go home factor, whilst getting another potentially good player with 11.

If pick 1 is traded, I can only see us getting it.

Certainly hope this is the case

12 hours ago, Redleg said:

Knowing our luck Reid would love the Perth weather and Curtin would hate coffee

• Like 1
  • Haha 2