Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: SF vs Carlton

Demonland

12 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere already but as expected, the behind the goals vision of the last play from the Lever mark to the Acres goal shows how terrible we were as an entire team (i.e. not just Viney's poor kick).

Rivers is briefly open wide but once he's shut down (Lever rightly taking a bit of time to assess his options), there is no movement short, not a single player tries to get open. We are just waiting for him to dump it long. Despite that, once he does dump it long (and you can see he looks frustrated with his kick for going too far inboard), the defenders don't reset. They ball watch. We also have way too many players up the ground and nowhere near enough in the D50. The switch occurs, and we're light on numbers who are then completely outworked to free up the Acres space.

It's tough to break down one play in the final 90 seconds of a very intense game but we should have been better than this.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1034289/trsf-dees-collapse-opens-acres-door-giant-killers-do-it-again?videoId=1034289&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1694873897001&tagNames=AppNewsFeed:Yes

Titan, the making of the disaster have been there for a while in that the majority of our forwards do not have any leading patterns or ability skill to lead. Its difficult but in basketball it used to be called having cutters. So a player on the hff or wing takes off the the goalsquare only to cut back in an arc when his man follows him. If the man does not follow him the cutter is running at speed to call for the ball while his opponent is flat footed.

Edited by Half forward flank

I'm sure there isn't much more I can that hasn't been said, this one really hits hard. Injuries at the wrong time again however we are our own worst enemy and play dumb football regardless.

I've been banging on for a couple of years that we need a couple of KPF's. Yes Petty kicked a bag but I think he's just so valuable down back and super underrated down there, May will need all the help he can get next year, I don't think Petty is the answer forward. As for JVR, we put way too much pressure on him and a good development but he needs to lift instead of trying to take school yard speccies every contest, I think he's more a 3rd forward than a KPF, his ground work did improve a lot during the year, I think a link role up the ground and pushing forward may suit him. I want 2 x KPF's who have forward craft/proven nous and leading ability.

Many disagreed with me on my criticism of our two wingers Hunter and Langdon mid year, but they have really let us down IMO. Unsure what has happened to Langdon, not the player he was and for all of Hunter racking up the stats, he is slow and fumbly. Quite often he'll be in the clear only to fumble and somehow get tackled, do a tricky underground handball or blast a kick away, which isn't the Hunter of old either.

Gawn/Grundy situation, well blind Freddy and all. I think there is more to this than we know, mind boggling he didn't even make the sub over Schache. Just unbelievable. 

Goodwin - I do think he grew as a coach this year, however still unsure about his team selections and game day nous. I mean, we have been having the same issues for years. When it clicks, it covers it up. I don't like this repeat i50 game style, it just seems like its "bomb it in and lock it in". With a lot of these entries wide and boundary side, low percentage to goal. Anyone whos played knows that if you bomb it in, it has to be direct and deep, but a lot of ours are 40-45m out and quickly rebounded. I can't remember the stats but we had something like +223 i50's v opponents for the year, or +20% more i50's per game. We just don't have enough forwards with forward craft. Another thing is this meat and potato game-style just doesn't encourage enough freedom and flare, it's a very defence mindset and when we switch off we struggle to stop teams getting a run on, even Carlton scored 5 goals in a row in a final, not good enough for an experienced team. Our opposition also averaged nearly twice as much for running bounces, which shows our lack of dare.

I don't know these stats but I'm going to assume a high percentage of i50's are from Petracca, Viney, ANB, Hunter and Langdon....there is a major problem, they can't be trusted for delivery. Can't knock their endeavour, but poor disposers IMO.

You can say if we kicked straight yada yada we win but there is deeper issues that need fixing. Like all of you, I'm pretty devastated as I think this was our best chance at a flag, it's wide open.

Things I want to see: Experienced back up ruckmen, 1-2 proven KPF's, HF flankers and wingmen with upgraded disposal by foot, a KPD and Salem to the wing/HFF to utilise his kicking as I think he's done his time down back. And a fresh group of assistants to surround Goodwin, we also don't want him feeling comfortable either. Bizarre to extend his contract when we did. Speaking of contracts, do we always seem to sign on players for one year longer than we should, seems a habit.

The kids under 22 were a saviour this year.

Anyway all the best guys, taking some time off, be kind to each other and lets see some changed in 2024. Odd and over analysis of stats mean jack [censored]. Much love, Febes.

Edited by SFebes
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Perhaps we expected Max to sacrifice his game more? No strong feelings either way just supposing 

Max has openly stated he failed the partnership by not proving to be able to be a near perm fwd, that was the plan!

• Like 2

I’m still angry 

and watching the afl and other social media makes it hurt more 

analysts picking apart our loss like we are the only club that make mistakes 

both sides made plenty of mistakes but we lost so the muppets pick on every little error (and of course the big errors !!!!) 

• Like 1

“A strong belief from senior figures still a week on is that the Angus Brayshaw furore derailed their finals pitch,” he said On the Couch.

“That the players were shell shocked to witness Brayshaw concussed and laid out cold. So Jacob van Rooyen suspended because he was trying to basically physically intimidate the opposition, the Kossie Pickett first half brain fades this week. Him trying to impose himself."

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/suck-it-up-claims-stars-ko-derailed-dees-run-after-finals-choke/news-story/9c2756a9a753b9b60e48891ba4c0915f?fbclid=IwAR2mwOG41l3CE913GSbOM7gAH9PG7pCgMPtpSkk0SRvGdEjlTXRrQYWw8wk

Edited by bing181
  • Angry 1

27 minutes ago, bing181 said:

“A strong belief from senior figures still a week on is that the Angus Brayshaw furore derailed their finals pitch,” he said On the Couch.

“That the players were shell shocked to witness Brayshaw concussed and laid out cold. So Jacob van Rooyen suspended because he was trying to basically physically intimidate the opposition, the Kossie Pickett first half brain fades this week. Him trying to impose himself."

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/suck-it-up-claims-stars-ko-derailed-dees-run-after-finals-choke/news-story/9c2756a9a753b9b60e48891ba4c0915f?fbclid=IwAR2mwOG41l3CE913GSbOM7gAH9PG7pCgMPtpSkk0SRvGdEjlTXRrQYWw8wk

The cop outs to top all cop outs.  If that has seriously come from within the football department, they should be sent a please explain, moved on from their position.  That has made me more angry then losing the game on Friday night!!!

• Like 2

This will be a complete whitewash

Straight sets simon will say we did nearly everything right and just need more f******connection

It will do my head in

Our leaders failed when we were 9pts up with 3m left. 

What do they train for?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, BrisbaneDemon said:

The cop outs to top all cop outs.

Not at all. The point was made during the commentary for the Pies game re JVR "trying to impose himself", and it's equally clear that Pickett went out with intent to cause damage against the Blues. Similar re Sparrow/Walsh. Young players, will hopefully learn from the experience.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Not at all. The point was made during the commentary for the Pies game re JVR "trying to impose himself", and it's equally clear that Pickett went out with intent to cause damage against the Blues. Similar re Sparrow/Walsh. Young players, will hopefully learn from the experience.

So did cripps. But he's a golden child so he cops nothing

I hate excuses. Own it, learn and reload.

Yea we have had a bad run of injuries, Brayshaw got a bad hit that was adjudicated most disgustingly. Appalling umpiring in R22, SF.  Deal with it behind curtains. Use it to motivate the team in 2024. Build a theme around it. FMD there is enough out there to really polarise our club to come out next year seething and hyper focused. 

You would expect all this adversity to unify the troops. We have gone the other way, the soft underbelly some folks were throwing around just got a bit more real. 

Edited by Gawndy the Great
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, bing181 said:

It wasn't just Pickett, I think the side came out with intent at the start of the semi. If you can stomach watching the first 10 minutes again I think you'll see players trying to physically impose themselves. Viney was lucky with his bump not to get a suspension either.

• Like 1
  • Vomit 1

8 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Yea we have had a bad run of injuries, Brayshaw got a bad hit that was adjudicated most disgustingly. Appalling umpiring in R22, SF.  Deal with it behind curtains. Use it to motivate the team in 2024. Build a theme around it. FMD there is enough out there to really polarise our club to come out next year seething and hyper focused. 

You would expect all this adversity to unify the troops. We have gone the other way, the soft underbelly some folks were throwing around just got a bit more real. 

Exactly, there's only one way to deal with it and that is to win.

To paraphrase the great RDB "You give me wins/premierships and I'll shut up!"

9 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

It's a slippery slope. The moment you start thinking about one thing that wasn't fair then it become 2 and 3, before you know it everyone is thinking the same way.

This was a team that dealt with the blows so well this year. Max's MCL, the Oliver struggle, Petty and Melk's injuries. Yes the incident with Gus was very different and I do understand if it took the wind out of them but it's very sad if a golden opportunity was dropped on the floor because of it. 

43 minutes ago, gs77 said:

We should have contested the Kozzy suspension, if for no other reason than to cause Carlton distraction in the lead up to the Lions prelim.

Has anyone on here ever seen a player suspended for having an opponent run into the back of their head and just get a blood nose.

Ever?

Unreal that he was cited

• Like 2

7 hours ago, layzie said:

Yes the incident with Gus was very different and I do understand if it took the wind out of them but it's very sad if a golden opportunity was dropped on the floor because of it. 

One factor among many.

You need everything to go right in finals. 

• Like 1