CASEY: EF vs Footscray

KC from Casey

Subject to being enlightened as to the correct rules, this is my eligibility list based on the 12/6 rule -

Jed Adams 0/19
Ben Brown 7/8 *
Luke Dunstan 0/15 *
Kyah Farris-White 0/7

Brodie Grundy 17/4
James Harmes 9/9
Michael Hibberd 11/4 *
Blake Howes 0/14 *
Jefferson Matthew 0/19

Jordon James 17/5
Bailey Laurie 4/15
Tom McDonald 6/6

Jake Melksham 13/6 *
Andy Moniz-Wakefield 0/18        
Josh Schache   2/15
Sestan Oliver 0/16 *
Smith Deakyn 0/19

Joel Smith 12/5
Charlie Spargo 13/ 7
Adam Tomlinson 8/9
Daniel Turner 2/10
Kye Turner 0/5

Jacob van Rooyen 0/3
Will Verrall 0/8
Taj Woewoedin 4/12

Players in red bold seem to be eligible to play this weekend

Players in red bold with an asterisk * seem to be eligible to play but are on our injury list

Players in blue bold seem not to be eligible to play

It seems to me that it would make sense if players could be deemed eligible to play on application by the club if special circumstances applied e.g. player genuinely returning after an injury.

• Thanks 2

The interesting one for me, if he's eligible, is Salem.

If it's his health causing his form dip then obviously he gets the week off. If it's just form I'd be giving him the run at Casey. Send a message and hopefully gets him and easy kill.

Surely Laurie and Turner both play. I'd give Smith the week off, purely due to his injury history, it's too big a risk.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FireInTheBennelly said:

The interesting one for me, if he's eligible, is Salem.

If it's his health causing his form dip then obviously he gets the week off. If it's just form I'd be giving him the run at Casey. Send a message and hopefully gets him and easy kill.

Surely Laurie and Turner both play. I'd give Smith the week off, purely due to his injury history, it's too big a risk.

No way do Salem or Joel Smith who have been regularly playing for Melbourne in the second half of the season, get to play VFL this week.

• Like 2

On the AFL site, Ben Brown is shown as a “test” so I suggest that he will be given a further opportunity to prove his fitness and prospects of playing AFL finals further down the track.

Michael Hibberd is also being shown as a “test” though he might not have qualified under what are believed to be the rules. Perhaps, a request for exemption might be warranted on the basis of his return from injury?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Subject to being enlightened as to the correct rules, this is my eligibility list based on the 12/6 rule -

Jed Adams 0/19
Ben Brown 7/8 *
Luke Dunstan 0/15 *
Kyah Farris-White 0/7

Brodie Grundy 17/4
James Harmes 9/9
Michael Hibberd 11/4 *
Blake Howes 0/14 *
Jefferson Matthew 0/19

Jordon James 17/5
Bailey Laurie 4/15
Tom McDonald 6/6

Jake Melksham 13/6 *
Andy Moniz-Wakefield 0/18        
Josh Schache   2/15
Sestan Oliver 0/16 *
Smith Deakyn 0/19

Joel Smith 12/5
Charlie Spargo 13/ 7
Adam Tomlinson 8/9
Daniel Turner 2/10
Kye Turner 0/5

Jacob van Rooyen 0/3
Will Verrall 0/8
Taj Woewoedin 4/12

Players in red bold seem to be eligible to play this weekend

Players in red bold with an asterisk * seem to be eligible to play but are on our injury list

Players in blue bold seem not to be eligible to play

It seems to me that it would make sense if players could be deemed eligible to play on application by the club if special circumstances applied e.g. player genuinely returning after an injury.

There was a rule that a player returning from injury could play as long as the senior team was playing or still involved in finals. 

PREVIEW: Smithy's VFL Week One Finals

The Bulldogs have risen from the depths with 10 wins in a row but most of their recent victories have been against the lower ranked teams in the competition. Much will depend on team selection with the devastating loss to the Demons of Luke Dunstan to an ACL injury, a major blow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2023 at 6:05 PM, YearOfTheDees said:

There was a rule that a player returning from injury could play as long as the senior team was playing or still involved in finals. 

As far as I know if the seniors are in the finals any player on the list is eligible to play in the ressies. Once the senior team is out of finals the vfl qualification rules apply.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fr_ap said:

Does our MFC membership gain us entry to this game or do tickets need to be purchased?

Perhaps check up with Club but $10 entry nnmntickets may need to be purchased unless you have an AFLW season ticket at $30 if you are an AFL Membership ticket holder.

Otherwise I think an AFLW membership ticket for the season is $60. Look up under membership and the AFLW section first for advice.

Good Luck and enjoy the game.

1 hour ago, 58er said:

Perhaps check up with Club but $10 entry nnmntickets may need to be purchased unless you have an AFLW season ticket at $30 if you are an AFL Membership ticket holder.

Otherwise I think an AFLW membership ticket for the season is $60. Look up under membership and the AFLW section first for advice.

Good Luck and enjoy the game.

Thanks - have purchased two $15 tickets. Kiddos free. 

For those attending....

Parking is easily found in the service road that starts at the St Francis Xavier Church. From there it's a 200 metre stroll to the ground. Take a fold up chair or picnic rug. There's a nice grass hill behind the goals and a smaller grassed area on the flank area. Not much space behind the other goal (permanently shaded) or along the Middleborough rd side but if the ground is full it's okay. There's a small grandstand.

Catering is standard.

With a crowd beyond say 3-4k it would be crowded but miles better than say Punt Rd.

• Thanks 1

For those that don't usually go to VFL games, I can thoroughly recommend it. This should be a great game, you get to see players that are on the fringe and champs like T Mac etc.

A real bonus is you simply don't get the nuff nuffs that you get at AFL matches.

In the years I've been watching VFL I can't remember any bad crowd behaviour...not that I am at all sensitive but just don't need the garbage.

Kids have a kick during breaks and you can buy a can of beer if that is your go.

Edited by Bystander
Grammar
  • Like 3
  • Clap 1

On 8/28/2023 at 8:22 PM, kev martin said:

Could they put Fritta or Hibbo in for half a game. Though Fritta looked matched ready against Sydney.

Reckon you may be having a lend Kev!  A HUGE NO to Fritta.  As many have suggested already.... cotton wool job till he runs out on the night!

Macca...similar to Fritta.  If it wasn't a final, possibly.  Regardless he is more than likely to get the call up to replace Smith who will probably return as the sub.

A half for Hibbo would be a handy warm up if they're looking for him to come in to cover Elliot.  If not then there's no reason why he couldn't play out the entire match.

Agree with NS re Tomo.  He's a long way ahead of Disco at this point.  His prep not great though having not played for weeks now.  Strange decision to bring in Disco vs the Swans but what's done is done.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2

On 8/29/2023 at 6:02 PM, Chelly said:

On the AFL site, Ben Brown is shown as a “test” so I suggest that he will be given a further opportunity to prove his fitness and prospects of playing AFL finals further down the track.

There was a procedure i recall reading about decades ago where a non invasive injection of a gell-like fluid is injected into the knee joint.

Was said to be capable of providing significant relief in the short-term to sufferers of bone on bone knee issues in some cases.

Believe the technical term is viscosupplementation.

Wonder if we've looked into that at all?

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Reckon you may be having a lend Kev!  A HUGE NO to Fritta.  As many have suggested already.... cotton wool job till he runs out on the night!

I wrote this about Fritta before it was said, he had a moon boot on.

He looked good against the Swans, had beautiful leading patterns, and was sharp with ball.

Not too worried, just hope he pulls up well after the Colly AFL game now.

Be interesting to see who they play.

• Like 2

FWIW, this was the rule that applied in 2019:-

“In order to be eligible, each player must have played at least one AFL, VFL or Development game in 2019. If they have played an AFL home and away match after the 1st of July, they must have played at least six VFL games during the season to remain eligible.”

45 minutes ago, Sydney Pennski said:

FWIW, this was the rule that applied in 2019:-

“In order to be eligible, each player must have played at least one AFL, VFL or Development game in 2019. If they have played an AFL home and away match after the 1st of July, they must have played at least six VFL games during the season to remain eligible.”

Keep reading a bit further...you will get to the part where it deals with what happens where the AFL team is still in finals.