GAMEDAY: Rd 24 vs Sydney

Demonland

3 minutes ago, Hopeful Demon said:

I rate his tackling and disposal on par with Langdon's and miles better than Jordon's.

FWIW, I fully endorse diversity of opinion but Hunter has randomly been a whipping boy on this site all year. Langdon had a long form slump in the first half of the season and he didn't get nearly as much criticism as Hunter does.

Every time he gets the ball he does 1.5 turns on the spot... Like my dog preparing to 💩

Momentum killing  ends up having to sky/bomb kicks

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

Just now, Chook said:

Interesting call from Buddy to do a farewell at the SCG but not do anything at the Grand final.

I guess Sydney is his home now and he's played there for years. Nothing more to it?

He actually hates the spotlight. I’m surprised he even agreed to this to be honest. Didn’t even attend his own press conference to announce his retirement. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jaded No More said:

He actually hates the spotlight. I’m surprised he even agreed to this to be honest. Didn’t even attend his own press conference to announce his retirement. 

That's what I'm getting at. I'm really surprised he's doing this as well. Guess it means enough to him that he would get past the shyness to go out and give thanks to his home crowd.

I wonder what he thinks of his time in Melbourne and at Hawthorn. I think if you asked him he'd consider himself 95% a Sydney player despite playing fewer games there and getting no flags.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hopeful Demon said:

Sorry, that's the 20 year old in me

Look, I realise the English language is in a constant state of flux but I’d be letting down my fellow Gen X-ers if I didn’t put up a futile objection every now and then. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Bates Mate said:

Buddy walking his lap, good on him champion but a Hawthorn champion not Swans one in my eyes

afl legend full stop

i thought we were very experimental in that half - riv in the middle the entirety of q2, jvr in the ruck more than gawn, hunter started in the centre square at one point, may playing a very, very high line, we rolled two back defensively and let them have an extra two at the stoppage

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Our backline is just so much better with Tomlinson in there. He’s not superstar, but he plays his lockdown role well enough (88% one on one win rate, best at the club). He allows the rest of our backs to play to their strengths. It’s almost become comical now watching our defense turn to water when he’s dropped.

We’re just cruising today so fingers crossed for no injuries.

They've kicked 3 goals in a half.

Our defence is doing just fine.

7 minutes ago, Chook said:

That's what I'm getting at. I'm really surprised he's doing this as well. Guess it means enough to him that he would get past the shyness to go out and give thanks to his home crowd.

I wonder what he thinks of his time in Melbourne and at Hawthorn. I think if you asked him he'd consider himself 95% a Sydney player despite playing fewer games there and getting no flags.

Good on him I say. I was at the Hawthorn v Essendon game when he kicked that running goal along the members wing. One of the most spectacular individual moments I've witnessed. Will live with me forever. Sydney is his home and he's ready to move on. Godspeed, Buddy.

• Like 2

First time in the game day thread, once the game starts that is, for me in a couple or seasons.

Quite a vibe - can imagine it would be fun in a game that had something riding it and we were losing.

Some random comments:

What's with the ragging on Hunter? It's 2023 - do people not understand he has a specific role, which he is playing to a very high standard?

Turner doing well. His ability to zone off and work rate and pace to be a handball receive option is why he is in ahead of tomo, and why he is genuine chance to remain in the team

May moving well, which is brilliant. Love him pushing up high.

Dees playing 2 and 3 less at the stoppages in order to have players behind the ball is genius. Feeding our intercept game and remarkably we are plus 7 foe clearances.

Love the focus on deefence.

See you all in the post match thread

• Like 1

Just now, praha said:

Good on him I say. I was at the Hawthorn v Essendon game when he kicked that running goal along the members wing. One of the most spectacular individual moments I've witnessed. Will live with me forever. Sydney is his home and he's ready to move on. Godspeed, Buddy.

Yes. He was a bad boy in Melbourne…

Nibble won that ball in the forward 50 to nearly set up a goal, then halved the contest in the defensive 50 to save one.

We gave it up anyway but damn, he's so valuable for us. He's really elevating his attacking game over the last month too I think.