• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 23 vs Hawthorn

Demonland

On 8/14/2023 at 8:34 AM, binman said:

Spargo will come in.

I hope so.

I'm surprised they went with JJ and the extra mid again last week, but perhaps they wanted cover for Clarry first game back.

• Like 1

Didn’t know where to post this.

Rivers deserves the love he’s receiving here. Just a saw a champion data stat, he’s the best kick in the comp over the last 6 weeks.

He’s the 11th highest-rated player in that period, kicking almost  20% above expectation.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Clap 2

53 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Rivers deserves the love he’s receiving here. Just a saw a champion data stat, he’s the best kick in the comp over the last 6 weeks.

He’s the 11th highest-rated player in that period, kicking almost  20% above expectation.

That definitely computes. He's been brilliant I'd say since (and including) the Geelong match.

• Like 3

Smith from memory this year payed forward without success. JVR needs to be coupled with an experience forward which can only be T.Mac. I not sure why some think that May does not have confidence in Smith and Tomlinson in defence.Tomlinson was doing a good job prior to getting injured, so what has changed? Smith's viability is going to be limited once Fritta returns. Smith should played as a forward for Casey a long time ago and taking in consideration that he was consistently getting injured. Grundy playing forward is a flop, Schache is also isn't the solution , why not play Tpmlinson Forward and Schache in defence via Casey.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

He has clearly been the most improved. I expect him to be top 5 in the BNF. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

12 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Gawn and ANB's 200th and 150 games respectively. 

Why wouldn't you wanna get up for these two lads.

I never played footy at a senior level, but I know you do @dazzledavey36.

Do players really try harder just because it's a teammates' milestone game or if they're retiring (ref. Franklin)?

• Like 2

Petty’s out, and….

Pies : Daicos, Moore, possibly DeGoey this week.

Port : Dixon

Lions : Ashcroft and they keep giving Hipwood a game.

This years flag is there for the taking, I want nothing more than to be able to be there to watch us win the premiership. There’s no reason we can’t win it this year.

Edited by Bombay Airconditioning
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

I just want this game over…..it’s scaring the siht out of me

Their last opportunity for the year to inflict wounds upon a top team.  This may get nasty...and we never retaliate. 

1 hour ago, Demonstone said:

I never played footy at a senior level, but I know you do @dazzledavey36.

Do players really try harder just because it's a teammates' milestone game or if they're retiring (ref. Franklin)?

Its a good question... ..  tbh..  ive noticed a lot of hype at times... a lot of brouhaha etc..  but i never noticed a decernible change in effort..  i.e  the wrapping might have got louder/brighter but the box remained the same.

Thats not to say i never witnessed or felt a sense of occasion but the teams i played in just played to their ability..  we didnt have a switch to flick or gears to change..

Interesting what others may have experienced... 

46 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Its a good question... ..  tbh..  ive noticed a lot of hype at times... a lot of brouhaha etc..  but i never noticed a decernible change in effort..  i.e  the wrapping might have got louder/brighter but the box remained the same.

Thats not to say i never witnessed or felt a sense of occasion but the teams i played in just played to their ability..  we didnt have a switch to flick or gears to change..

Interesting what others may have experienced... 

Some occasions against certain sides would get a lift early but by quarter time back to normal 

• Like 1

I wonder if Mitch Lewis doesn't get up for the game whether the Hawks will go with two rucks and bring Meek in to partner Reeves?  They have Lewis and Koschitzke forward recently so I think we need to go in with 3 tall defenders, I don't think we can go with May, Lever and Hibberd - we tried and dispensed with that set-up early in the year.  I think we need Smith forward so that would mean Tomlinson back into the side - he has his well discussed good and bad points.

As I've posted elsewhere I think we misused Grundy against Carlton and played him too much forward and not enough in the ruck. As @deelusions from afar pointed out in the Grundy thread, when he did go into the ruck in the 3rd and 4th quarters we turned the scoring around significantly.  I'm probably Robinson Crusoe, but I'd stick with Grundy this week and have him and Max split the ruck and forward duties - 20-30% gametime forward each, covering when Smith or JVR are off on the bench.

That would mean Tomlinson for a runner - JJ, we have been playing with an extra runner because we've traditionally gone with 2 tall forwards and 2 rucks, but recently we've gone with a total of 3 of these.  This possibly means we need a runner as sub which pushes Hibberd out of the 23, unless we think that Rivers can go into the midfield when Hibberd comes on.  I'm not enamoured with our running sub options: JJ, Harmes, Woewodin, Spargo, Laurie - for various reasons I don't have confidence any of them can have a major positive impact when they come on.  So maybe we can go with Hibberd.

In: Tomlinson Out: JJ

B: May, Tomlinson, Lever, Salem, Rivers, McVee, Bowey
M: Gawn, Grundy, Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Sparrow, Langdon, Hunter
F: JVR, Smith, Melksham, ANB, Kossie, Chandler
S: Hibberd

This is what I would do, but not necessarily what I think will happen.

Edited by old55
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, old55 said:

I wonder if Mitch Lewis doesn't get up for the game whether the Hawks will go with two rucks and bring Meek in to partner Reeves?  They have Lewis and Koschitzke forward recently so I think we need to go in with 3 tall defenders, I don't think we can go with May, Lever and Hibberd - we tried and dispensed with that set-up early in the year.  I think we need Smith forward so that would mean Tomlinson back into the side - he has his well discussed good and bad points.

As I've posted elsewhere I think we misused Grundy against Carlton and played him too much forward and not enough in the ruck. As @deelusions from afar pointed out in the Grundy thread, when he did go into the ruck in the 3rd and 4th quarters we turned the scoring around significantly.  I'm probably Robinson Crusoe, but I'd stick with Grundy this week and have him and Max split the ruck and forward duties.

That would mean Tomlinson for a runner - JJ, we have been playing with an extra runner becaus we've traditionally gone with 2 tall forwards and 2 rucks.  This probably means we need a runner as sub which pushes Hibberd out of the 23, unless we think that Rivers can go into the midfield when Hibberd comes on.  I'm not enamoured with our running sub options: JJ, Harmes, Woewodin, Spargo, Laurie - for various reasons I don't have confidence any of them can have a major positive impact when they come on.  So maybe we can go with Hibberd.

In: Tomlinson Out: JJ

B: May, Tomlinson, Lever, Salem, Rivers, McVee, Bowey
M: Gawn, Grundy, Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Sparrow, Langdon, Hunter
F: JVR, Smith, Melksham, ANB, Kossie, Chandler
S: Hibberd

This is what I would do, but not necessarily what I think will happen.

Agree with most of that.  I find it hard to think that Hibberd can't get in the side - he has been very good this year.  Not wanting to pot Bowey on the basis of a fumble but is Hibberd ahead of him on form.  He certainly was before getting injured earlier this year.  I like Bowey but wonder with McVee and Salem already back there maybe his foot skills are not as critical?

The sub is tricky - i think Melksham and Smith have been perfect as they have the ability to take over from slower key position players  when we need run in the last quarter and a bit (eg BBB, Tomlinson).

Which leads me back to having Hibberd as sub to take over from Tomlinson (as you had!)

Maybe with Fritsch back they will have to put Smith or Melksham as the sub?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, deelusions from afar said:

Agree with most of that.  I find it hard to think that Hibberd can't get in the side - he has been very good this year.  Not wanting to pot Bowey on the basis of a fumble but is Hibberd ahead of him on form.  He certainly was before getting injured earlier this year.  I like Bowey but wonder with McVee and Salem already back there maybe his foot skills are not as critical?

The sub is tricky - i think Melksham and Smith have been perfect as they have the ability to take over from slower key position players  when we need run in the last quarter and a bit (eg BBB, Tomlinson).

Which leads me back to having Hibberd as sub to take over from Tomlinson (as you had!)

Maybe with Fritsch back they will have to put Smith or Melksham as the sub?

I agree with all that - I think we're of the same mind on this - but I expect we're outliers.

• Like 1

I don't think Lewis gets up. He's "in serious doubt" according to the AFL ap.

I'd therefore go JJ for Spargo and play Hibbo sub.

And give Gawndy one last roll of the dice.

Some Grundy rucking with Max behind the ball as interceptor, wouldn't go astray...

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, old55 said:

I agree with all that - I think we're of the same mind on this - but I expect we're outliers.

Then I'm an outlier too. I liked your strategy/selections.

• Like 2