• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Harley Reid

dazzledavey36

6 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

You have to sell the farm to get him, and on evidence it would be worth it.

He’s a dominant inside/outside midfielder who’s played half back and up forward. He played more forward this year due to a head knock and easing back into it post concussion. He dominated everywhere and showed great marking and kicking skills to add the contested side and decision making. I said it a few pages back, but he’s the next Trac. To get him and have him learn from Trac and interchange the two between midfield and forward would be a devastating combo.

Sell the farm!

Lord Travis, what is the farm? Would you do picks 4, 18, 23, F1st? Would you do 4, 18 and JvR as that past WCE player put up. Maybe 4 and trade for the GCS pick and offer up both?

I personally would do the first although possibly overpaying, and the second I would do whatever I could to not give up JvR but maybe 4 and JvR if they put their foot down?  You see a lot of the youngsters and this draft is heavily compromised, with few good mids. 

1 minute ago, BigMacjnr said:

Lord Travis, what is the farm? Would you do picks 4, 18, 23, F1st? Would you do 4, 18 and JvR as that past WCE player put up. Maybe 4 and trade for the GCS pick and offer up both?

I personally would do the first although possibly overpaying, and the second I would do whatever I could to not give up JvR but maybe 4 and JvR if they put their foot down?  You see a lot of the youngsters and this draft is heavily compromised, with few good mids. 

Why on earth are we trading van Rooter

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BigMacjnr said:

JVR isn’t in any trade scenario. 

It’s been discussed in this thread already, but the plan would be we trade up to Gold Coasts first pick (currently 5), as they need more points to match bids for their 3 first round academy players this year. We trade them 15, 22, 34 and any loose change for outgoing players. That gives them more points they need and we get pick 5. We then trade 4 and 5 to West Coast for 1. West coast need as many top kids as possible for their rebuild. They’ll use 4 to draft local Curtain and another top talent. We draft Reid.

That scenario everyone is a winner.

• Like 9

Not sure we have the farm to get the deal done.

4, Gold Coasts 1st (if we can get it) and future 1st might do it. But we're hardly the only club after Gold Coasts pick, even then it allegedly hinges on Curtain being guaranteed to last to pick 4 for the Eagles to be interested.

North are on record as identifying a key back as a list need, one of many, which may put Curtain directly in their sights. They've gone midfield heavy in the draft for a while and if McKay leaves then they will either be trading or drafting one.

We'll have a better idea on what our chances are after the Grand Final.

• Like 3

Reid looks to be a beautiful mover and is clearly very skilled. The fend offs are exceptional and the player he looks like most is Jai Newcombe. But I don't think Reid will be as big and strong as Petracca, Wines or Martin and he does not look to have the same leap as Petracca.

I have to say, I like the look of Zane Duursma, who looks a protype AFL footballer. He is bigger and looks to have more running and leaping ability than Reid. If the cost to push up the draft order to get Reid is significant, I would prefer we use or picks to trade or take several players.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

JVR isn’t in any trade scenario. 

It’s been discussed in this thread already, but the plan would be we trade up to Gold Coasts first pick (currently 5), as they need more points to match bids for their 3 first round academy players this year. We trade them 15, 22, 34 and any loose change for outgoing players. That gives them more points they need and we get pick 5. We then trade 4 and 5 to West Coast for 1. West coast need as many top kids as possible for their rebuild. They’ll use 4 to draft local Curtain and another top talent. We draft Reid.

That scenario everyone is a winner.

I think we would want a bit more back from WC is we are giving picks 4 & 5.

From a draft number perspective those two picks are worth 3,912 points and pick 1 is worth 3,000 (I note that the draft values aren't as relevant in this instance).

We would probably want WC second round pick back for that and maybe a swap of other picks.

46 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Who would you be prepared to give up Binny, given that "decent" is a subjective term.

Yes, well, the million dollar question.

West Coast are not going to want say, and without being too disrespectful to him,a player at Dunstan's level.

They need a player like jj, who is close to best 22 in our team, is young and would walk straight into their midfield. And probably gets a bigger and longer contact than we can give him

But that's where my lack of knowledge about drafting and trading comes in. Maybe pick 4, 15 and jj is too much?

Edited by binman

11 minutes ago, binman said:

Yes, well, the million dollar question.

West Coast are going to want say, and without being too disrespectful to him, say a player at Dunstan's level.

They need a player like jj, who is close to best 22 in our team, is young and would walk straight into their midfield. And probably gets a bigger and longer contact than we can give him

But that's where my lack of knowledge about drafting and trading comes in. Maybe pick 4, 15 and jj is too much?

We can’t trade JJ as he’s a free agent. 

• Like 1

Gold Coast currently hold the following picks in this draft  5, 25,31,41,54 59,61&77 which is equal to 4049 points which would be close to what they need for their academy players. Any deal with them will probably have to include a future first. 

19 minutes ago, binman said:

Maybe pick 4, 15 and jj is too much?

Not enough.

Also JJ is an unrestricted free agent so we can’t trade him. He can walk where ever he wants and our compo will be peanuts.

West Coasts recruiter was interviewed on afl.com this week and said their strategy is to hit the top of the draft with as many high picks as possible. They want to rebuild with elite young talent coming through together. When asked if he’d trade pick 1 for two top 10 picks, he jokingly said maybe add another and we’ll start the conversation. Three is obviously too many, but two top 10 picks would be a non negotiable for the trade to happen. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colm said:

Gold Coast currently hold the following picks in this draft  5, 25,31,41,54 59,61&77 which is equal to 4049 points which would be close to what they need for their academy players. Any deal with them will probably have to include a future first. 

That won’t be enough. They’ll need around 4200 points for Walter and Read alone. They’ll then need another approx 1200 for Rogers. They need to find another 2400ish points somehow. Trading with us nets them an extra 1000ish. They’ll need to trade further to make up the deficit.

That’s how we trade up and land Reid.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

The only thing that i dont like about Reid is that he seems to be very right foot dominant. How is he on his left?

Excepting 15m snaps, how is Trac on his left foot? Likewise, Clarry...

5 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

West Coasts recruiter was interviewed on afl.com this week and said their strategy is to hit the top of the draft with as many high picks as possible. They want to rebuild with elite young talent coming through together. When asked if he’d trade pick 1 for two top 10 picks, he jokingly said maybe add another and we’ll start the conversation. Three is obviously too many, but two top 10 picks would be a non negotiable for the trade to happen. 

He's hardly going to say, yeah, 2 top 10 picks will get it done. You start as high as possible and work back from there.

Given the mid season noise about us being able to get this Reid trade done, I'd say two top 10 picks and the F1 will get it done. And we should be happy to do that deal. We're getting the best player in the draft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

You have to sell the farm to get him, and on evidence it would be worth it.

He’s a dominant inside/outside midfielder who’s played half back and up forward. He played more forward this year due to a head knock and easing back into it post concussion. He dominated everywhere and showed great marking and kicking skills to add the contested side and decision making. I said it a few pages back, but he’s the next Trac. To get him and have him learn from Trac and interchange the two between midfield and forward would be a devastating combo.

Sell the farm!

Maybe we can keep the back paddocks and the milking shed.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

That won’t be enough. They’ll need around 4200 points for Walter and Read alone. They’ll then need another approx 1200 for Rogers. They need to find another 2400ish points somehow. Trading with us nets them an extra 1000ish. They’ll need to trade further to make up the deficit.

That’s how we trade up and land Reid.

Are you sure? Walters is currently ranked number 2 and Read 8th by Cal but as we have seen in recent drafts academy and farther son picks tend to slide further as clubs know they won’t get them. Think Diacos and Tom Green.
If they don’t slide and go 2&8 that’s around 4000 points but don’t they then get 20% discount? Making it around 3200 points. Unless I’m wrong and the discount only applies to Father/son picks. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colm said:

Are you sure? Walters is currently ranked number 2 and Read 8th by Cal but as we have seen in recent drafts academy and farther son picks tend to slide further as clubs know they won’t get them. Think Diacos and Tom Green.
If they don’t slide and go 2&8 that’s around 4000 points but don’t they then get 20% discount? Making it around 3200 points. Unless I’m wrong and the discount only applies to Father/son picks. 

Nope you’re right. I forgot the 20% discount and just looked at points! They’d need approx 4300 points after discount. I thought it was a sure thing they’d needed to trade for lots more, but they’re not far off… If they get a pick for losing say Flanders or the like then they’ve easily got points covered.

• Like 2

I'm in the trade draft picks for Reid camp, but only if the price is right. It was mentioned in another thread that Adelaide offered three first rounders to North for Horne Francis which could have been the likes of Bailey Humphrey, Josh Rachele and Jefferson. Humphrey alone could be a better player than Horne Francis.

If we are short on list spots then quality over quantity makes sense. But we have no idea at this stage who'll be on the list next season. There are question marks over TMac, BBB, Melksham, Hibberd, Dunstan, Laurie, Jordon, Tomlinson, Grundy, Harmes, etc. That's a quarter if our list. 

Chances are we'll want at least two picks in the first round. I think we still need to draft a tall flanker/mid like Duursma and look for May and Viney replacements. 

Not sure we afford to put all our eggs in the Reid basket.

• Like 1

My uneducated concerns with HR are that he’s a man playing against boys, and the tank/willingness to run hard both ways.

I do like the look of Duursma, but his performances this year have been lacklustre.

He gives the impression he could go on build up his body & exclipse Reid in a couple of years. He could also be Cale Morton. Hopefully we get this right.

• Like 2