• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Harley Reid

dazzledavey36

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Bit like when he was shutting down everyone late last year who dared to question Jackson potentially going home.

Nek minute..... 

Ha ha ha What a joke, Nek minute? have you had a few too many

Edited by drysdale demon
more information

I actually think Harley Reid would absolutely LOVE to learn under Christian Petracca, Jack Viney, Clayton Oliver and the rest of our players.

I understand he's a Geelong supporter. But still, it would be an awesome apprenticeship to learn from some of the best midfielders in the AFL.

Anyway, time will tell what happens later in the year.

In Jason Taylor and the MFC recruiting team we trust. 🙏

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

North may grab him, according to Peter Bell{ not sure if that is reliable] Reid has definately told the Eagles not to draft him.

If that's the case and WC end up with the 1st pick then it makes more sense for them to trade the pick out for multiples.

I'm sure they want Curtin and if they could pick up another one of tow top picks, that could set up their rebuild nicely.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, drysdale demon said:

Ha ha ha What a joke, Nek minute? have you had a few too many

Oh yeah.. I forget you've probably never heard of this term in your life due to age factor hey old timer.

Best you look it up then.

• Haha 2

Melbourne blowing their chances for Harley by stupidly pushing up the ladder . . .

North likely to receive a couple of extra 'picks' through a potential mix of pre-listings, FA compensation or priority handouts in the hypothetical range of #8 to #19, pushing at least one of ours further out. 

If that's the case (say prelisting Sanders, or/and realistically getting end-of-first compo for McKay, and/or a mid-first or end-of-first 'trade' priority pick), I imagine they will trade for #1= Reid. 

Currently they have #2, #15, and then a possible top ten prospect in Sanders or maybe #10 plus one #19 or two ~#19s - on top of future firsts and seconds in the projected range of #1-#4 and #19-#23.  

If they get a free shot at Sanders, then the public opprobrium of trading out their extra cookie-handouts for a shot on Reid diminishes. They have a new generational talent, plus a serious prospect and another decent draftee.

My expectation (the softest scenario because of the serious talent they already have listed) is that they will receive an end-of-first 'tradable' priority (plus possibly an end-of-second), and band 3 for McKay. 

That would be #2, #15, #19, #20 (the first second-rounders have a bit of extra cache due to live-trading), as well as a projected F1 and F2 #2 and #19 to play with. If they get and extra #3 or #4 it's already over. 

I can't see us getting close to this kid, even if we sell some farm to GC and the rest of it to WC. We have maybe #4, plus #17 as it stands, and another projected sliding #23 and F1 #18-#16. 

And that's all before GWS enter the frame, with #6 and #11 currently in hand. If WC split, they would prefer a 'gentleman's' agreement dealing with North, so that they can at least secure Curtain.

The way I see it unfolding is North swap #2 and something significant for WC #1 and another top ten. North pick Reid, WC get Curtain, and Hawks end up with McKercher (plus Walter to GC). 

We then have the fifth or sixth pick. We could still trade to GC and end up with a second top-ten pick, maybe in the #8 to #11 range after priorities and such. My guess would be Duursma and Caddy/Watson. 

Not a bad result for a premiership team (I won't speculate on our third pick). But then we will have to start turning our attention to a future KPD and hope our ruck plan pans out, and then another class mid. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have to say, if Reid has said he won't go to the Eagles, it doesn't reflect well on him. I don't like young players dictating terms like this, generational talent or not. As much as I dislike the Eagles, they are a very good club, strong history of success, plenty of resources and will always attract the best WA talent. Chris Judd made his name there and won a flag before returning to Victoria. I know they've badly run presently but they'll sort themselves out given the resources at their disposal. Reid should be grateful for the opportunity to get drafted and go to the club that picks him.

Edited by BDA
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BDA said:

I have to say, if Reid has said he won't go to the Eagles, it doesn't reflect well on him. I don't like young players dictating terms like this, generational talent or not. As much as I dislike the Eagles, they are a very good club, strong history of success, plenty of resources and will always attract the best WA talent. Chris Judd made his name there and won a flag before returning to Victoria. I know they've badly run presently but they'll sort themselves out given the resources at their disposal. Reid should be grateful for the opportunity to get drafted and go to the club that picks him.

Maybe he doesn’t want to live in Perth away from his family and friends. I’d rather his honesty than the JHF scenario at the Kangaroos- at least the Eagles have more likelihood of long term certainty on the pick they take

West coast are trying real hard to blow the number one pick anyway.  Fancy nearly winning a game at this end of the season.

I don’t understand the math, but maybe North should have some mystery injuries and try and lose by 100 pts in the next few weeks, it’s only percentage between the two.

5 minutes ago, Rossmillan said:

West coast are trying real hard to blow the number one pick anyway.  Fancy nearly winning a game at this end of the season.

I don’t understand the math, but maybe North should have some mystery injuries and try and lose by 100 pts in the next few weeks, it’s only percentage between the two.

But it's something ridiculous like 300+ points difference. It would be some tanking for the ages.

7 hours ago, Skuit said:

Melbourne blowing their chances for Harley by stupidly pushing up the ladder . . .

North likely to receive a couple of extra 'picks' through a potential mix of pre-listings, FA compensation or priority handouts in the hypothetical range of #8 to #19, pushing at least one of ours further out. 

If that's the case (say prelisting Sanders, or/and realistically getting end-of-first compo for McKay, and/or a mid-first or end-of-first 'trade' priority pick), I imagine they will trade for #1= Reid. 

Currently they have #2, #15, and then a possible top ten prospect in Sanders or maybe #10 plus one #19 or two ~#19s - on top of future firsts and seconds in the projected range of #1-#4 and #19-#23.  

If they get a free shot at Sanders, then the public opprobrium of trading out their extra cookie-handouts for a shot on Reid diminishes. They have a new generational talent, plus a serious prospect and another decent draftee.

My expectation (the softest scenario because of the serious talent they already have listed) is that they will receive an end-of-first 'tradable' priority (plus possibly an end-of-second), and band 3 for McKay. 

That would be #2, #15, #19, #20 (the first second-rounders have a bit of extra cache due to live-trading), as well as a projected F1 and F2 #2 and #19 to play with. If they get and extra #3 or #4 it's already over. 

I can't see us getting close to this kid, even if we sell some farm to GC and the rest of it to WC. We have maybe #4, plus #17 as it stands, and another projected sliding #23 and F1 #18-#16. 

And that's all before GWS enter the frame, with #6 and #11 currently in hand. If WC split, they would prefer a 'gentleman's' agreement dealing with North, so that they can at least secure Curtain.

The way I see it unfolding is North swap #2 and something significant for WC #1 and another top ten. North pick Reid, WC get Curtain, and Hawks end up with McKercher (plus Walter to GC). 

We then have the fifth or sixth pick. We could still trade to GC and end up with a second top-ten pick, maybe in the #8 to #11 range after priorities and such. My guess would be Duursma and Caddy/Watson. 

Not a bad result for a premiership team (I won't speculate on our third pick). But then we will have to start turning our attention to a future KPD and hope our ruck plan pans out, and then another class mid. 

North are going to have 43 mids and Larkey if they lose McKay and take Reid and Sanders.  IMO they should be positioning for Curtain.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, drysdale demon said:

Can't be bothered looking it up, in my day and now you could always neck somebody though.

Weren't you the guy who used to request other posters meet for "a coffee" when you were angry with them?

Hmmmm....

Edited by Stiff Arm

10 minutes ago, old55 said:

North are going to have 43 mids and Larkey if they lose McKay and take Reid and Sanders.  IMO they should be positioning for Curtain.

Reckon you are right, but they might also be burnt by the Horne Francis home sickness saga. Curtain might be open to moving interstate

18 minutes ago, old55 said:

i want Curtin at the Dees!!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

i want Curtin at the Dees!!!!

I want, in order

1. Reid, or

2. Another highly skilled mid eg. the Tassie kid, or

3. High class med sized forward who can push into the midfield eg. Duursma

Edited by Stiff Arm
  • Like 1

Unless we reckon Curtain is the best thing since sliced bread I can't see them going tall for our first pick...when you consider last year's draft period:

Grundy, Verrall, KFW (Ruck x 3)

Jefferson (KPF)

Adams (KPD) 

2 hours ago, Stiff Arm said:

Weren't you the guy who used to request other posters meet for "a coffee" when you were angry with them?

Hmmmm....

As I don't drink coffee that would be no, but I did mention to a couple of posters about catching up at the game and buying them a drink which would be in the Hassett room. I am quite sure there are posters on here who see each other at the games now and again.

Hmmmm....

1 hour ago, adonski said:

Unless we reckon Curtain is the best thing since sliced bread I can't see them going tall for our first pick...when you consider last year's draft period:

Grundy, Verrall, KFW (Ruck x 3)

Jefferson (KPF)

Adams (KPD) 

@Pennant St Dee is normally fairly moderate in his posting so when he starts 'frothing' I start listening. Curtain could be part of our midfield AND part of our spine.

Edited by TRIGON
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, TRIGON said:

@Pennant St Dee is normally fairly moderate in his posting so when he starts 'frothing' I start listening. Curtain could be part of our midfield AND part of our spine.

Wouldn't we become too WA loaded? I am always worried about the WA talent leaving.

10 hours ago, Skuit said:

1. 100% on the money, if they get any more compensation, their is a massive risk that in 4-5 years time when their new talent hits that mid 20 zone, they are going to be either incredibly successful potentially or at risk (ala GWS / GCS style) in holding on to their talent due salary cap constraints. They need compensation / assistance in attracting mature players and footy dept experts. 

2. GWS are in a real salary cap bind of the GCS variety. Just reported Nick Hayes on a reported 1-1.2m final year (2024) contract. No one is touching that salary dump without a first round pick bundled into the deal. So either (current) pick 9 or 12 is bundled in. Their next pick is 50, which makes me think they wont be a factor in dealing with GCS. 

5 hours ago, old55 said:

If they get the compensation they want for McKay then perhaps they take Reid and Curtain at 1 and 2 should West Coast somehow steal a game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nascent said:

If they get the compensation they want for McKay then perhaps they take Reid and Curtain at 1 and 2 should West Coast somehow steal a game.

If they wound up with picks 1, 2 and Sanders there would be major outcry from the clubs. 

If that were to happen, I’d hope we go get in Larkeys ear and pick that carcass of a club dry. Such an irrelevant club.

40 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

If they wound up with picks 1, 2 and Sanders there would be major outcry from the clubs. 

If that were to happen, I’d hope we go get in Larkeys ear and pick that carcass of a club dry. Such an irrelevant club.

There would be a revolt if North got band 1 compo and access to Sanders. 

I would presume one or the other, or perhaps more picks that must be traded.

Larkey seems to be a masochist, I'd set my sights on wardlaw.

• Like 1