• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 18 vs Brisbane

Demonland

9 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

After thinking about it imo Vineys goal is the best one of the game for me. 

His strength in the contest against a much bigger and stronger player, his will to get the ball and determination to kick for goal was enormous in the context of the match.  

He may not always hit targets by foot but bloody hell I love him and am so grateful he is on our side. 

That’s goal of the year for mine. He willed that through, no fluke kick or boundary ace just simply guts and will. Best goal I’ve ever seen.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Roost it far said:

No other top 4 club has a Viney, Petracca, Oliver or a Gawn. They are the aces we hold over the other contenders. That's 4 Aces, someone is going to need to be dealt a serious hand to knock us off from here. 

Pleasing that Brisbane's much vaunted midfield was comprehensively beaten by Gawn, Brayshaw, Viney and Jordon.

Clearances +12

Contested possies +21

We have Petracca and Oliver in reserve.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

We look better with BBB up fwd.  I thought we were going to be cooked if we were relying on him after last year's fade out but he gives us a target, understands fwd craft, is hard to match up on and can kick straight. He often leads a long way up the ground as well which gives us a chop out,.

Our crumbers work better with him down there.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Pleasing that Brisbane's much vaunted midfield was comprehensively beaten by Gawn, Brayshaw, Viney and Jordon.

Clearances +12

Contested possies +21

Excellent point jnr.

A real upside of Oliver's injury is the extra minutes and responsibility JJ and sparrow have got in the middle. 

Also means when Oliver does come back JJ and Sparrow are in great nick.

Can only help at the pointy end - and creates options for Goody.

For example, if they run a hard tag on Oliver, he can sacrifice his game and drag the tag away from the contest, or go forward if need be, and JJ and Sparrow can pick up the slack. 

And as we have seen already, also gives Goody much more flexibility in how he uses tracc in terms of his mid forward mix (by the by, hard not to love tracc as as a forward - in part because i love his emotion when he kicks goals. It really pumped up the energy of the crowd on Frida night). 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Macca said:

Doug Bigelow the former Bomber and ABC commentator when describing the great Robbie went with 'Flower Supreme' many moons ago

Amongst my circle, the comment stuck

And what we saw from Rivers was quintessential Robbie Flower ... exalted company

Dash, dare and the driving kick forward.  Magnificent

H e didn't quite have Tulip's poise but certainly the dare,  flair and endeavour.  Thought it a brilliant passage.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

We look better with BBB up fwd.  I thought we were going to be cooked if we were relying on him after last year's fade out but he gives us a target, understands fwd craft, is hard to match up on and can kick straight. He often leads a long way up the ground as well which gives us a chop out,.

Our crumbers work better with him down there.

Agree.

Still looks a little underdone, but if he can get up to full rat power he will be an even more critical cog in the machine. 

The other thing about BB, with his height and forward smarts, opponents can't really risk putting part time or medium defender on him, meaning they have to send one of their best tall defenders to him. 

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

That’s goal of the year for mine. He willed that through, no fluke kick or boundary ace just simply guts and will. Best goal I’ve ever seen.

Oh, you mean like this? Still, I agree with you. The context makes the difference. Absolutely sublime by Melksham though. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

That Kick probably ensured Dess get at least 1 home final. And I admit I wanted him dragged during the game but was wrong - again.

I think he stays in no matter what at the expense of Charlie probably.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

16 hours ago, BoBo said:

I messed up the order of my games in my comment… Carlton beat them today so that’s the first of four we need them to lose!

Yeah fair, I’m hoping for a miracle and that we can somehow manage 2nd and play Port or Brisbane at home. Don’t expect it, but hoping for it.

I’ll take a lock in at top 4 though.

And thanks to Jake and Viney is probably a good call now. I also think Swans, Suns and Giants may miss the 8 but seriously damage chances of others trying to catch the Dee's 4th or 3rd spot. (expect Round 24 that is  - we win and Buddy kicks 3 would be fitting all round)

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

H e didn't quite have Tulip's poise but certainly the dare,  flair and endeavour.  Thought it a brilliant passage.

Rivers has done that a few times nearly always in crunch time or crisis time

McVee does it a lot as well but at any time during the game

Personally, I like risky footy especially when you've got the talent bank.  We're not going to win big without risking turnovers

Back when Roos first took over I had no issue with the team limiting the damage as we were not ever a chance of getting anywhere near the finals in 2014 & 2015

Thrashings can kill morale and confidence but when up against another non finals team, you attack

So you bide your time whilst improving the list ... and once that happens you press the go button

In 2021 we pressed the go button

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2023 at 9:41 AM, Demon17 said:

Sure is.  A good recent example was (listening to ABC driving home last night) Kelli Underwood bringing it up in the context that she said Steven May was the only player not to run up to Melksham to congratulate him on that final goal.

Pathetic Kelli. Just a talking head .  Malthouse to his credit batted away the insinuation.

I usually don't mind Underwood as a host of a show and chat guest, but that is the dumbest comment she may have ever made (if she said it). In the rooms May and Melksham were arm in arm and May was getting around him more than any other player.

If she said it she should actually apologise because that's creating a narrative that doesn't exist.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Vomit 1

Watching the last five minutes,there were a few deliberate out of bounds not called by umps. One a beauty with lions ruck simply pinching it over from the contest. Given Brissie scored their only last quarter goal through big Joe's Greg Louganis impersonation they were quite lucky. I'm not a fan of umpire Nichols. Thank God they got the Lever mark right. 

First four goals and last four.. love a bit of symmetry. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

15 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Happens every week, not just Trac but Clarry and Viney too! Remember how frustrated Trac was against the Cats? It really is disgraceful umpiring to let that stuff go, you want to open up the game clamp down on the scragging.

It happens across the comp too, of course it's not just our players that cop it. I'm sure some Melbourne players do it to the opposition as well we just don't notice it.

Goodwin needs to use his media appearances to highlight issues like this and suggest that a free kick early in the game is required to put it to bed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

Rivers dash through a pack of Lions evading all of them finishing with a booming long kick into our forward line. Close to the play of the day. He is great this kid. Will get better and better. Great win Dees.

Rivers is having an unbelievable season. His signature will be as important as anyone's when he's contract is up 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Smokey said:

Rivers is having an unbelievable season. His signature will be as important as anyone's when he's contract is up 

Would like to see him spend more time in the middle.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, monoccular said:

Watching replay again.  
Appreciating Rivers McVee Sparrow all the more 

And JVR forward back up ruck work really positive 

JVR was handy in the first quarter up forward as well. He'll get there, especially when his confidence in his marking ability builds.

The other 3 you mentioned were sensational, as was Bowey.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Well we nearly bought the house down in Trinity Park on Friday night such an exciting  game, one critical play after the other, 24 down just over 7 mins on the clock, bang, bang, bang , bang and each goal remarkable in it own right we were yelling and jumping feeling edgy and excited, the crowd noise at the G was coming through loud and clear. Jake Melksham’s desperate acrobatic mark and time delaying kick seemed to take forever and then that joyous exhilarating feeling when it went through is hard to describe. Rick saved the day then lots of talking watching interviews and then the Boys singing the song. Then pack our backs clean up ready for our 10:10  am flight back to good old Melbourne.!!!!

That great come from behind win topped off a fabulous week in Cairns, love Nth QLD.💕

Edited by DeeZone
Added comments Nth QLD.
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

My only gripe was JVR got a massive shove directly in front which wasn’t paid and then Daniher got his later on.

Both were free kicks but only one was paid. 

Overall, the umpiring we have had this has been good, the Richmond game was by far the worst.

The Daniher was a dive. The free should have gone to May...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

I know Milk is getting a lot of hero status for his match winning goals.

But Vineys goal was probably the best. Shook of his opponent and then simply wrestled it off a huge player to kick a goal from inside the proverbial phone booth.

Shout out to Kozzie you kept his feet and beat two lions opponents for his third and most important goal. Vintage Kozzie. Hope that reignites his confidence.

Did anyone hear a commentator groan on kayo, ten seconds into our theme song?

Possible Bt moment.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Have been entertaining visiting relatives all weekend, and have not had a chance to watch this game. 

They’ve just left (I had to be consciously-aware not to actually push them out the door) and I am about to settle in and finally feast on two delectable hours of AFL. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Wow! So much happens when you go on hols* for 4 weeks (to central France, 1 bar 3G, which offers precisely NO contact with the world, in mostly a great way)! Just watched the replay (arrived home at 3/4 time, almost didn’t look at final score before nigh nighs), and what an enormous last quarter. Maxy at his best, Jack Viney too, and Trac obviously. What struck me too though was the massive quarter of Trent Rivers. Jakey we all know has the talent, and when he’s on, he’s a game changer. 

*WTF with Clarry’s M-T junction tear?!!!! and woe is me about Fritta’s foot fracture. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2