• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Damian Barrett

Ollie fan

21 hours ago, DeeMee said:

Barrett loves any negative Dees story. His whole focus end of last week and no doubt going into next week will not be the great win but the Grundy story.

You picked it, DM!

I'll tell you what is demeaning, Barrett, to Brodie and to the club, is your ignorance - or, worse, dismissal - of the clearly outlined communication between, clarity for, willingness of, and agreement from, both parties in the matter. 😠

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/other/dees-questioned-over-demeaning-grundy-call/ar-AA1dVdHg?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=2c4faf16e3fd4a4ab3bf940bfa274451&ei=39

• Like 1

Barrett is a serial pest. Loves the negative story especially if it’s anti MFC.
MFC must have really hurt his feelings at one time, from which the psychological impact has left him permanently hateful. 

? Kangas absolutely thrashed by (3rd bottom) Hawks 

?? Goldstein career over 

??? Ben Mckay couldn’t be any less interested at Kangas 

There is some anti Kangas stories but he’ll avoid those due to his bias.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, FarNorthernD said:

Well I am the odd man out then. I don’t mind Barrett and listen to his AFL Dailey program when I remember 

You're not on your own. In fact, with one exception, I've never noticed any bias by any footy commentator against any specific club. There are plenty who exhibit bias toward the team(s) they used to play for, but that's understandable.

The one exception is Dermott Brereton's bias against Essendon which he has publicly admitted to. 

11 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

You're not on your own. In fact, with one exception, I've never noticed any bias by any footy commentator against any specific club. There are plenty who exhibit bias toward the team(s) they used to play for, but that's understandable.

The one exception is Dermott Brereton's bias against Essendon which he has publicly admitted to. 

Agree mostly they are all pretty good.

Maybe its just me overthinking it, but Tim Watson seems to hate us and lays the boots in any chance he gets?

• Like 1

Its more about the quality of various Journos. 

Negative or hyper-ventilating stories are easier to identify write and ensure more clicks. Simple.

Lots of measured analysis aound, mostly on Kayo/Fox , but again due to their standard of commentary.  Good luck getting anything original out of Ch 7 team - except Daisy.

Too mnay written scribes scrambling for recogniton.

Love him or not, Kane Cornes Friday column in The Age is mostly original and interesting. And he does have more  depth of playing experience than others (Damo I'm looking at you) that illustrates many of his points.

• Like 1

I don't mind the article and honestly from the outside looking in says what a lot of people are thinking. Bringing in a 29 y.o 2 time AA ruckman on big coin then telling him to go back to the VFL to work on his forward craft just looks weird. 

Why would you buy a Ferrari then be upset when you realise it doesn't do off-road all that well? 

On 7/16/2023 at 2:06 PM, dees189227 said:

He had a crack at us this morning on the sunday footy show about the whole Brodie Grundy situation & said we have done a dis service to him by dropping him and showed Goodwin's media conference before the king's birthday game where goody said Brodie's at a club that values him

It's interesting that Barrett jumps all over Melbourne re it's treatment of Grundy. If one thing was shown on Friday night it was that Gawn should be doing 90% of the ruckwork. Gawn admitted that he hasn't been a success up forward either. If Gawn had been kicking multiple goals then the position with Grundy and him sharing ruck/forward responsibilities wouldn't have changed. The commentary is ridiculous. Grundy, or for that matter Max, aren't owed anything and nothing is guaranted forever if it isn't workong. It was sold to Grundy on a certain basis, it didn't work, so you try something different. That doesn't mean the Club doesn't value Grundy. If Grundy doesn't make it as a forward, then the whole situation and Grundy's future at the club gets re-evaluated. That's what professional football clubs do!

On 7/16/2023 at 4:16 PM, John Demonic said:

I Stopped watching The sunday footy show this year and feel a while lot better. It's a pretty awful assortment of buffoons when you think about it. And Lloyd has had it in for us his entire career and will write us off at every mention.

I've stripped back solely to podcasts and my fav is ABCs Corbin and Ben. ESPNs footy with champion data Christian jolly. And the Tuesday SEN segment with Daniel Hoyne where Healy/Cornes are about all I can handle. 😂

As far as I'm concerned that show is a waste of space. Apart from Damian Barrett the inclusion of Nathan Brown disgusts me. There should be no role for someone who is there to push sports betting on a daytime program.

Apart from the Demonland Podcast which is essential listening, I quite like The Round So Far on Sunday mornings on the AFL website, plus the AFL Podcast Gettable, and other podcasts Tradies & Footyology.

21 hours ago, Ollie fan said:

I couldn't believe it - he's  at it again!!! Jeremy Cameron is "ready to pounce" - on what basis?? On Friday he was pumping up a home Final at that ....hole of a ground. Now he's got them winning a flag on the basis of one win against a team that are clearly pretenders! I can't stand him.

I guess that's what all journalists  do. David King was basically conceding the Premiership to Collingwood on First Crack last night. It's amazing that the 'experts' have totally forgotten the performance Geelong put in against the Swans just over 2 weeks ago. Earlier in theseason they all happily went along with Cameron being the best player in the comp and when Geelong lost a few, Cameron kicked no goals, we never heard a thing.

1 hour ago, layzie said:

I don't mind the article and honestly from the outside looking in says what a lot of people are thinking. Bringing in a 29 y.o 2 time AA ruckman on big coin then telling him to go back to the VFL to work on his forward craft just looks weird. Why would you buy a Ferrari then be upset when you realise it doesn't do off-road all that well? 

He was brought to the Club to share rucking/forward duties with Max. The idea was that both would rest forward and both would kick goals. He's also 2.5 years younger than Gawn and I assume will become the prime ruckman when Max is no longer around. Grundy hasn't been kicking goals, Gawn hasn't been kicking goals, so they've reverted to Max being the man. You try things, sometimes they don't work out, you change approaches. Personally I don't care what a lot of people are thinking, I choose to think for myself. Big coin? $900k and Collingwood are probably paying $300k of that. Not cheap but we got him for Pick 27. Virtually the entire media pack raved about the positives at the time. Of course the same hacks, and that word particularly applies to Damian Barrett, are now happy to go Melbourne and label the move a mistake.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sydney_Demon said:

It's interesting that Barrett jumps all over Melbourne re it's treatment of Grundy. If one thing was shown on Friday night it was that Gawn should be doing 90% of the ruckwork. Gawn admitted that he hasn't been a success up forward either. If Gawn had been kicking multiple goals then the position with Grundy and him sharing ruck/forward responsibilities wouldn't have changed. The commentary is ridiculous. Grundy, or for that matter Max, aren't owed anything and nothing is guaranted forever if it isn't workong. It was sold to Grundy on a certain basis, it didn't work, so you try something different. That doesn't mean the Club doesn't value Grundy. If Grundy doesn't make it as a forward, then the whole situation and Grundy's future at the club gets re-evaluated. That's what professional football clubs do!

As far as I'm concerned that show is a waste of space. Apart from Damian Barrett the inclusion of Nathan Brown disgusts me. There should be no role for someone who is there to push sports betting on a daytime program.

Apart from the Demonland Podcast which is essential listening, I quite like The Round So Far on Sunday mornings on the AFL website, plus the AFL Podcast Gettable, and other podcasts Tradies & Footyology.

I guess that's what all journalists  do. David King was basically conceding the Premiership to Collingwood on First Crack last night. It's amazing that the 'experts' have totally forgotten the performance Geelong put in against the Swans just over 2 weeks ago. Earlier in theseason they all happily went along with Cameron being the best player in the comp and when Geelong lost a few, Cameron kicked no goals, we never heard a thing.

He was brought to the Club to share rucking/forward duties with Max. The idea was that both would rest forward and both would kick goals. He's also 2.5 years younger than Gawn and I assume will become the prime ruckman when Max is no longer around. Grundy hasn't been kicking goals, Gawn hasn't been kicking goals, so they've reverted to Max being the man. You try things, sometimes they don't work out, you change approaches. Personally I don't care what a lot of people are thinking, I choose to think for myself. Big coin? $900k and Collingwood are probably paying $300k of that. Not cheap but we got him for Pick 27. Virtually the entire media pack raved about the positives at the time. Of course the same hacks, and that word particularly applies to Damian Barrett, are now happy to go Melbourne and label the move a mistake.   

I think the idea was for Grundy to play slightly more ruck time than Max rather than a 50-50 split and we saw that in a lot of games this year.

Personally I think 600k a year is decent coin when you could potentially save it to throw at a key forward. I'm glad you don't care what the media thinks and think for yourself, it's a good quality to have as a fan but unfortunately this situation just creates another media circus that we frankly don't need right now on top of the debacle of Clarry's injury. It was always going to be a risk and was always going to be criticised accordingly if it looked like it wasn't working and how long does Grundy need to rot in the VFL before taking over? Damian is allowed to write on this and its not far fetched no matter how much we hate media picking on us.

Edited by layzie

1 hour ago, layzie said:

I think the idea was for Grundy to play slightly more ruck time than Max rather than a 50-50 split and we saw that in a lot of games this year.

Personally I think 600k a year is decent coin when you could potentially save it to throw at a key forward. I'm glad you don't care what the media thinks and think for yourself, it's a good quality to have as a fan but unfortunately this situation just creates another media circus that we frankly don't need right now on top of the debacle of Clarry's injury. It was always going to be a risk and was always going to be criticised accordingly if it looked like it wasn't working and how long does Grundy need to rot in the VFL before taking over? Damian is allowed to write on this and its not far fetched no matter how much we hate media picking on us.

For what it's worth I think Brodie will come back in and still play more ruck time than Max. This period gives Grundy a freshen up and hopefully a bit of time to work on some forward skills and Max to get his hands on the ball for a few games. When Grundy comes back he will still be a ruckman, who can hopefully get in the way less as a forward when he needs to, and Max will be a very tall forward target who can have very damaging spells on the ball. No way Grundy comes back as a key forward. He is a smart player and will be on board with the plan and most likely part of the decision making process about all this.

And no, I have no inside information,  just the way I am reading the tea leaves. A bit like Barrett's opinion but I use better quality tea!

• Like 2

BG agreed to come to the club with a specific role in mind, part of which included playing forward of the ball. He hasn’t being playing that role to the level required so has been replaced in the side and will now work at improving that part of his game at VFL level. What’s the big deal?

I don’t think anyone at the club has said that Max needs to ruck 80% game time if Brodie plays. Media created that narrative so that they can extrapolate it into other threads of conjecture, hyperbole and misinformation. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Left Foot Snap said:

For what it's worth I think Brodie will come back in and still play more ruck time than Max. This period gives Grundy a freshen up and hopefully a bit of time to work on some forward skills and Max to get his hands on the ball for a few games. When Grundy comes back he will still be a ruckman, who can hopefully get in the way less as a forward when he needs to, and Max will be a very tall forward target who can have very damaging spells on the ball. No way Grundy comes back as a key forward. He is a smart player and will be on board with the plan and most likely part of the decision making process about all this.

And no, I have no inside information,  just the way I am reading the tea leaves. A bit like Barrett's opinion but I use better quality tea!

Yeah look that is a good way to look at it. It's easy to get sucked into the week to week, the reality is that he will get his chance again. They've played 13 games together, not a tiny sample size but not massive either. We don't know what we don't know and I'm looking forward to when Grundy gets his shot again. 

Edited by layzie

Anyone who thinks Grundy was a mistake is forgetting the period of - what was it, 4 weeks? - when Max was injured. And his game on Friday shows how good he is when he is not getting mauled physically every week.

Going back to that fool Barrett, my main gripe is his insane Geelong bias when he is employed to be a neutral observer. And his constant underrating of Melbourne.

• Like 1

Regular listener of AFL Daily, generally appreciate it for the fact that I know Damo generally is pretty close to the mark when he's reporting on afl admin and bigger stories. I did find it funny over summer when the show went down to the training of every team besides Dees, but that's an aside. 

What's got me this week is that historically he's made it very clear that he leaves 'football opinions' to those who know better, but this week he's gone incredibly hard on how Grundy 'will not be a forward'. Fascinating how he has the ability to surmise the dees tactics and training plans better than Goodwin, Yze, Richardson et al combined. 

I'm thinking we need to offer him a coaching contract as he's seemed to have worked it all out. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Ollie fan said:

Anyone who thinks Grundy was a mistake is forgetting the period of - what was it, 4 weeks? - when Max was injured. And his game on Friday shows how good he is when he is not getting mauled physically every week.

Going back to that fool Barrett, my main gripe is his insane Geelong bias when he is employed to be a neutral observer. And his constant underrating of Melbourne.

Also worth adding that having Grundy means Max isn't worn out by the end of the year from having to ruck 90% of every game he plays. Also, we want to have chances of winning premierships every year, not just this year, and especially while we have generational talent like Oliver, Petracca, Pickett (and others) in the side. Grundy's recruitment doesn't just have to be looked at as a success or failure in its first year. 

Having said that, if both parties accept that Grundy should move on after this year, it's not like he'll move on without some form of compensation, such as players or draft picks of commensurate value. 

On 7/14/2023 at 5:23 PM, Ollie fan said:

I'm starting this thread in the hope that I can see a few people joining me and really sinking the boots into this bloke. He is so ridiculously pro Geelong, so ridiculously pro-Bont, and so ridiculously anti-Melbourne. How does he get a job paid by the AFL?

I think you answered your question with your statement 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 7:46 PM, Adzman said:

I seldom post these days, but couldn't let this thread go by without a small contribution. 

Damien Barrett has the most punchable face of any afl journalist in the history of the game. He just oozes smugness. 

He is one of those journalists who make you want to switch off and watch something else. 

I see your Damian Barret and raise you Sam McClure for punchable smug mugs.
And he doesn't wear glasses.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 12:00 PM, Fork 'em said:

I see your Damian Barret and raise you Sam McClure for punchable smug mugs.
And he doesn't wear glasses.

You are not wrong.  That's why we have two fists Fork, one for each mug.

• Haha 1

On 7/18/2023 at 12:00 AM, Bringbackbarassi said:

Regular listener of AFL Daily, generally appreciate it for the fact that I know Damo generally is pretty close to the mark when he's reporting on afl admin and bigger stories. I did find it funny over summer when the show went down to the training of every team besides Dees, but that's an aside. 

What's got me this week is that historically he's made it very clear that he leaves 'football opinions' to those who know better, but this week he's gone incredibly hard on how Grundy 'will not be a forward'. Fascinating how he has the ability to surmise the dees tactics and training plans better than Goodwin, Yze, Richardson et al combined. 

I'm thinking we need to offer him a coaching contract as he's seemed to have worked it all out. 

Josh Gabelich to be fair did go down to training at Goschs but not with Nat or any other journalist or AFL scribe on that site. 

On 7/18/2023 at 8:13 AM, daisycutter said:

damian parrot ... what a wailing squawker he is

and who'd name anyone damian? ... really, ffs

Doesnt get any worse than Matt Damon.  Who the hell would call a child Matt Damon?

He really cops it in South Park skits especially Team America.

On 7/17/2023 at 4:05 PM, SFebes said:

Agree mostly they are all pretty good.

Maybe its just me overthinking it, but Tim Watson seems to hate us and lays the boots in any chance he gets?

Tim watsons club injected his son with 100s of injections of "unknown" substances and "didnt keep any records"... and he said this was fine. 

If the dees had done that to my son theyd be hearing from the most expensive lawyer i could afford.

I wouldn't listen to tim watson

Edited by biggestred
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 6:27 PM, Deemania since 56 said:

The AFL needs all the allies it can muster to ensure the Demons are contained, forever. That's why he is paid by the AFL.

Close to the most juvenile and pathetic fantasy ever posted around here and that's against some strong opposition.

If you'd included the umpires in your conspiracy you'd be the clubhouse leader.

Mind you Barrett ,most of  the commentators, the game day callers  and the AFL are pretty ordinary ( at best).

Thank goodness for Daisy Pearce