• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 15 vs Geelong

Demonland

22 minutes ago, PlayHardDeemons said:

Yes it did

If you are referring to the kicks to Petty & Rivers, both recipients were at fault

Besides which, all the players turned the ball over last night so why single out one player?

How about we lay the blame everywhere?  (Taking into account that it [censored] down all evening and there are going to be turnovers)

And I like players taking chances and taking on the corridor

If you don't like that go back and watch our boring boundary hugging football in 2012/2013

You don't win not taking risks

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deestar9 said:

It’s interesting..the people I was with (who are not Melb supporters) but are avid football followers made the comment…”it’s obvious Melb are in a heavy training load as they have nothing left in the last qrt “. The match against the Pies reflected that as well by both teams . If you look at our last 2 or 3 seasons this time of the year is where we always struggle.  There are 9 games left so let’s temper our dire expectations slightly …

LMFAO this old chestnut, was last years excuse as well?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, SFebes said:

I'm just going to go back and read this thread however....

Has anyone noticed that a few of our players look overweight or carrying extra pudding? A couple of key ones too, one very important crumbing forward....

Why after so many years we continue to keep bombing it into 50? It just seems every bloody game we do this and sometimes we get lucky, but when our crumbing forwards are sooo badly out of form, we have nothing.

Goodwin needs to understand and adapt in game. Cats are known for their little chip mark game and Scott knows we play a zone, so they just pick it apart and chip through it.

I was never a fan of the Gawn and Grundy experiment, they take away from each other not complement it. Not a fan and it isn't working to the best of its ability.

You cant have a forward line with a very raw and green Smith and JVR to kick your goals.

A positive, I'm liking Bayleys second and third efforts down forward, definitely noticed a big shift in his hunger recently.

Anyway, get sick of saying and hearing the same old after a loss. Bombing long into F50 kills me.

That's because our small forwards try to take mark of the century.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Losing to Geelong at Geelong isn’t a big surprise. At the Cigar shaped ground, they clog up their backline better than someone with constipation!

The fact we’ve played at 💩stadium 20 times since 2000 more than Pies, Bombers, Blues, Hawks & Tigers combined is an absolute disgrace and the club needs to do something about it! It gives me the 💩💩💩💩! Club members should set up a petition if the club won’t demand change!

Last night more than half the Demon players played poorly, so to just lose is surprising! If you were rating out of 10 there would have been 5-6 1s & 2’s, 5-6 3/4/5’s. Rivers, Salem, McVee, Grundy, Hunter, Viney & Lever were good/okay, but not much outside this group.

JVR will be a VG CHF but tough to expect him to lead the way at present.

Personally I’d prefer stick with Petty CHF and JVR FF this season! Maybe they are trying to get BBB fit to come in from round 16/17 onwards.

I wouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water just yet! All teams have weaknesses and off weeks, impact of loading, byes etc., finishing top 4 is still possible. 
If we can stay top 4, kick straighter and relatively injury free we will be in with a chance come finals time!

• Like 3

Good comments D4Life. To only just lose to the Cats down at their own dung heap with most of the side playing poorly is not that bad. We had as many forward entries, frees about same, more disposals albeit handballs so it still comes back to our entries and the forward line in general. Gawn/Grundy still a work in progress.

Would assume a few that played last night will be dropped or on last notice. Depends who plays well in the two's. Be very interesting on Casey's game. Need a few to stand up and put pressure on.

• Like 1

Said to the wife at the time Cameron went down, 1 we need to reset the back line and  2 Need to watch Rohan and not let him try and redeem himself. We did neither. But the number of times we had both Gawn and Grundy on the same flank for kick outs and both were outmarked.  But the lack of movement in the forward line is "at least my" biggest issue, just so predictable every time we go forward. 

Others have stated it I’m sure but Petty replacing Tommo must have been to match up on Cameron. Really can not understand why he didn’t go forward as soon as Cameron was injured. Max better dropping back than sliding forward.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, layzie said:

It's not the losses it's the manner. The way we came out at the start of that last quarter was garbage. They had the first for inside 50s and ended up kicking 5 from 7. It was a joke of all proportions, we defend so well in transition but in that moment we went back to 2019 level of conceding goals. Absolute unmitigated garbage. 

Long range approach but gee it hurts when you're not seeing the first for the trees. 

Weekend is already ruined and it hasn't even started? By that logic I should just got to sleep and wake up some time on Saturday.

I played 9 holes at Royal Lismore before work this morning and shot 36 so that perked me up a bit. Recommend finding something. Not alcohol!

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Just as with the Freo game, we lost this because we played poorly and made crucial skill errors, plus had a poor setup forward of the centre.

We did not lose this because we aren't good enough or met an opposition who was simply better, which was the case against Port, Essendon and Brisbane earlier in the year, where we lost simply because on the day the opposition was much better than us.

It is the worst way to lose, especially when we are not comfortable inside the top 4 in the slightest. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, D4Life said:

Losing to Geelong at Geelong isn’t a big surprise. At the Cigar shaped ground, they clog up their backline better than someone with constipation!

The fact we’ve played at 💩stadium 20 times since 2000 more than Pies, Bombers, Blues, Hawks & Tigers combined is an absolute disgrace and the club needs to do something about it! It gives me the 💩💩💩💩! Club members should set up a petition if the club won’t demand change!

Last night more than half the Demon players played poorly, so to just lose is surprising! If you were rating out of 10 there would have been 5-6 1s & 2’s, 5-6 3/4/5’s. Rivers, Salem, McVee, Grundy, Hunter, Viney & Lever were good/okay, but not much outside this group.

JVR will be a VG CHF but tough to expect him to lead the way at present.

Personally I’d prefer stick with Petty CHF and JVR FF this season! Maybe they are trying to get BBB fit to come in from round 16/17 onwards.

I wouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water just yet! All teams have weaknesses and off weeks, impact of loading, byes etc., finishing top 4 is still possible. 
If we can stay top 4, kick straighter and relatively injury free we will be in with a chance come finals time!

Pert and other presidents should ne demanding a royal commission into our constant sending down the highway I agree

why is it so hard for elite professionals to kick straight(er)

• Like 1

Critical fumbles and a lot of dreadful handballs causing more fumbles all compounded with wayward kicks   15/7 instead of 7/15 and we win.  Cats were fighting for their season, we weren’t 

on a positive I’m liking smithy in the forward line 

Their forward line seemed far more open with loose players on a number of occasions. Ours appeared clogged and congested forcing the long bomb over and over 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Petracca nailing his hardest shot for the night once the game was killed sums him up.

I may have this wrong but you seem to be suggesting Petracca doesn't bring his best to the big moments. Which would be an odd criticism of a Norm Smith medallist.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Deestar9 said:

It’s interesting..the people I was with (who are not Melb supporters) but are avid football followers made the comment…”it’s obvious Melb are in a heavy training load as they have nothing left in the last qrt “. The match against the Pies reflected that as well by both teams . If you look at our last 2 or 3 seasons this time of the year is where we always struggle.  There are 9 games left so let’s temper our dire expectations slightly …

oh no... dont you dare bring up loading. that word is forsaken around here😀

• Like 1

We were told that we played at Geelong because we had a small membership.

That is not the case now with over 65000 members.

We have played there,as that chart put up earlier shows, more than any other AFL team, while some have never played there.

We know it’s a fixed ture, but surely we could demand a few years break.

Dimma complained about a rare visit to Marvel.

Get on the front foot and change it, as it is now an 8 point game every time.

Cats should play interstate clubs and smaller clubs there, avoiding more fans being unable to get in.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

Not really related to the game last night, which I was at btw and was so flat after..... But I'd like to see us get on board with the retro round theme given it's the two oldest clubs and bring out new jumpers for that game.

for a real retro round we could play them at the g...

Also believe that if we are going to highlight player errors, we here have an obligation to talk about the good play from those said players (ANB, Brayshaw, T-Mac are 3 players where often only their errors are talked about)

Errors are related to risks.  No risk, no reward.  Pies & Port take chances constantly ... sitting 1 & 2 on the ladder

But our forwards are not adhering to the fundamentals.  Not being visible is a huge issue for midfielders ... if they look up and can't see a Demon jumper leading towards them,  what are they supposed to do?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Macca said:

Also believe that if we are going to highlight player errors, we here have an obligation to talk about the good play from those said players (ANB, Brayshaw, T-Mac are 3 players where often only their errors are talked about)

Errors are related to risks.  No risk, no reward.  Pies & Port take chances constantly ... sitting 1 & 2 on the ladder

But our forwards are not adhering to the fundamentals.  Not being visible is a huge issue for midfielders ... if they look up and can't see a Demon jumper leading towards them,  what are they supposed to do?

You have been spot on with most of your comments. Sometimes the kick into 50 is bad but mostly it's just a lack of movement which is made even worse on a ground like kardinia park. We need to get T-Mac or Brown back in the side - they just take the pressure off Van Rooyen, Fritsch and co. 

4 hours ago, Bystander said:

Surely she didn't say that ?!?! She must have attended the Jeff Kennett school of football presidency. Butt out.

Yes I agree. Saying anyone will not be playing finals   Just wrong

she is not on the selection committee not her decision. She can of course have an opinion. Can’t we all.  And yes in terms of who plays.  Buttt out

4 minutes ago, YearOfTheDees said:

You have been spot on with most of your comments. Sometimes the kick into 50 is bad but mostly it's just a lack of movement which is made even worse on a ground like kardinia park. We need to get T-Mac or Brown back in the side - they just take the pressure off Van Rooyen, Fritsch and co. 

Fingers crossed we get either Brown or T-Mac back but both players need to prove their fitness and then they might be rusty

Petty forward with Tomlinson to go back.  I like Smith's eagerness and he competes ok.  Not sure he is a forward though (that can be a go-to player on September

JVR is still just a raw talent who needs more time.  That time could come quick though.  At the moment he gets caught playing from behind too much and I reckon that's due to his inexperience.  The rest of our forwards should know better

I don't understand why they don't make multiple leads.  Has to be related to how they are coached (but not coaching alone)

• Like 1

A ray of sunshine

I expect at least one of the big 4/5 will be making the trip down the highway next year.

It's all about stadium economics.

With a capacity of 40k seated next year the return to Geelong will be the equivalent of almost 80k at the MCG. Bigger teams down there will also increase the amount they can charge for premium seats, super boxes etc.

Going forward Geelong will be in clover money wise. Think Adelaide.

It won't work if they can't fill the stadium and playing GWS etc down there is bad economics if you don't get the premium revenues that come from the big teams

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, YearOfTheDees said:

are not adhering to the fundamentals.  Not being visible is a huge issue for midfielders ... if they look up and can't see a Demon jumper leading towards them,  what are they supposed to do?

This

we just dump it in because no one is leading

defenders just push fwds under the ball (our fwds not being big) and take another interception 

entries like that to the fwd line are gift wrapped for a rebounding backline 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Macca said:

Fingers crossed we get either Brown or T-Mac back but both players need to prove their fitness and then they might be rusty

Petty forward with Tomlinson to go back.  I like Smith's eagerness and he competes ok.  Not sure he is a forward though (that can be a go-to player on September

JVR is still just a raw talent who needs more time.  That time could come quick though.  At the moment he gets caught playing from behind too much and I reckon that's due to his inexperience.  The rest of our forwards should know better

I don't understand why they don't make multiple leads.  Has to be related to how they are coached (but not coaching alone)

Smith does lead and is ignored for some reason. Noticed during the Kings Birthday game he was getting clear but they still kicked to a pack.

• Like 2