• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 16 vs GWS

Demonland

1 hour ago, monoccular said:

Tend to agree with most of this.    We really do need to blood a few more than the very good debut seasons of McVee and JVR.  Laurie had just a sniff and I must say didn't inspire.   But Woey and Howes surely need a few games as HBF, W or HFF in rotation.  And of course Disco is likely to seek greener pastures if he doesn't get another go, and not the total setup mismatch on Levi Casbolt.

He undoubtedly lost more with his sepsis than his original hamstring.  He would have been able to maintain general strength and non running conditioning, but sepsis really knocks the stuffing out and takes far longer to get back from.  If he required iv antibiotics for several days this was not trivial in any way.

Very hard to tell at that very late stage - he probably didn't quite now by then either.  Too little too late. 

Saturday forecast is 4 - 13 deg and 4 mm rain.  Very unseasonal for rain or for such a low maximum.  

What an absolute bastard if he said that.  Needs to be targeted by the team and us fans when we next see him.

It was never going to be a hot day in midwinter Central Australia.  Nights get freezing though.

Definitely a lot of extremely dumb bombing into F50.  More blame needs to be targeted on our mids and on ballers than on our forwards.  I only saw a little of the Saints v Bears tonight but similar things could be said of the Saints' forward thrusts - a lot of intercept marks by the Bears' defenders.

binman - is this more evidence of high loading levels?  I think it was you who said that this could come into the equation late in the game.

Along with Stewart. What a dog act on Viney.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

11 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

The turning point was Nibbler's fumble. We were right in the game then.

No it wasn’t, we should’ve been further in front at 3 quarter time. The way we started the last was poor, plus i believe the mistake was not using Gus who was on the outside on his own instead of a handball to ANB who had two Cats up his backside anyway.

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Longsufferingnomore said:

Along with Stewart. What a dog act on Viney.

Very unimpressive.

Stewart made us all feel sorry for him after his unreserved apology to Prestia last year, and had us convinced it was just a brain snap.

However that act on Viney confirmed his character, at least on field (he might be a ripper bloke off it??)

• Like 7
  • Angry 1

Spargo to stay at Casey (not sure how many quarters he played last night but I don’t think he makes the trip to Alice next weekend)

Harmes takes Spargos seat on the plane 

assuming Clarry won’t get up based on what the club have been saying over the last couple of days 

• Like 1

I like Melks for the sub

He will be very hungry and has some x factor that Goodwin hasn't coached out of him

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Longsufferingnomore said:

DD the pain level is supposed to be equivalent to childbirth or worse!!

I have had two (kidney stones) and the only good thing was the morphine.

Yep pretty intense when it starts to arc up LS.  Full quota of meds before it backs off a little.

The meds don't kick in straight away either so alot of squirming going on before that.  My pooch is getting freaked out lol.

Even more worrying for me overnight is i only have one opioid left ahhh!

Might have to P.M. McQueen for an assist!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

IN: Brown, Bowie

Out: Smith, Spargo, - JJ to Sub

Its time to give JVR some support down fwd and brown had a very good hame in the VFL with 2 goals 18 disposals and 9 marks, think this will also free up our resting ruck.

Too many small forwards, Spargo is the unlucky one, but if any of the others drop off much more then he comes straight in!

Bowie back in and Brayshaw into the midfield rotation, he plays his best footy in the middle and we have the smaller backs.  He can still play a defensive mid role but it looks like we have been trying to play to many in the one position.

GWS are no pushovers and our small fwds will need to be on the ball,  they have the best full back in the league and some good play makers of the half back line.  A very solid midfield, but where we can get on top if their forward line, which is pretty average besides Toby Greene.

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Very unimpressive.

Stewart made us all feel sorry for him after his unreserved apology to Prestia last year, and had us convinced it was just a brain snap.

However that act on Viney confirmed his character, at least on field (he might be a ripper bloke off it??)

Agree.

It’s not a split second act either.

He moves over to Viney, who is on the ground kneeling, holding his shoulder and grimacing in pain.

He lightly bumps him with his knee and then bends down and pushes Viney with both hands. Viney falls into his sore shoulder and us seen in more pain.

That is a dog act designed to inflict further pain. I am really annoyed we didn’t attack Stewart and stick up for our most courageous player.

We lack a ruthless edge.

As for the MRO, weak. That was the perfect incident to send the message, to leave vulnerable, injured players alone.

• Like 3
  • Angry 2

12 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Exactly.  I knew the umps would pull a few outta their derriere in the last to give the Cats the momentum.  We needed to have capatilised earlier and been up at least 3 goals or so to have any chance in the last.

That's how i saw the tackle at the time and was lambasted by someone on game day thread saying Fritsch would get weeks.

The umps are so predictable at Tax Payer Park.

It shouldn't happen though. Basically match fixing. No surprise given a lot of what HQ does.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

I lost count of the number of times Smith was outbodied or out of position. I’m sure some of that was due to kicks to him being poor but I’m also sure some of it was to do with him being a limited forward. Not all his fault as he’s continually flipped from back to forward through his career, but I don’t know that he is a viable long term option as a tall forward. 

I think he has a much better chance of success if Petty is there. Had Petty played on Stewart…….

No disrespect to JVR because he will be a beauty but interested why no one seems to put him up for omission. 2 goals and 6 marks in this last 2 games and generally having limited impact. I know he is the future but he is not impacting enough at the minute and will likely tire in a long second season for him. I would bring in Tomlinson (who should never been dropped aside from him lacking a match up last round) and back to Petty forward. We also cant rely on Hibberd as he gives his all but his body cant sustain quarter by quarter, let alone week to week. Jordon and Spargo are honest toilers but we have players at Casey who we should start exposing at senior level in front of them. 

In Tomlinson, Bowey, Woewodin

Out JVR, Hibberd, Jordon

NBL: Laurie or Harmes as sub. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, goodwindees said:

Quite understandably, there is a reluctance to play a kid in his first game as the Sub. 

Please explain the difference between starting a new player on the interchange bench as opposed to the sub. And why would there be "reluctance"?

Chandler getting just as many shots at goal as Kozzie and is actually playing better, just needs to kick straight.

After some time off DL I have had some thoughts. Might be controversial, but given short turnaround.

Ins

Brown, Bowey, Woewodin, Tomlinson, Melksham

Out

ANB, Spargo, Langdon, Gawn(needs a rest), JVR (managed)

I would move Woewodin to half forward, Joel Smith to the wing. Petty and Brown forward. Petty as 2nd ruck. 

Important to try and rest anyone carrying niggles. 

Langdon has been so poor- would love a different look on the wing. 

Note- I don’t have Oliver as getting up for this game. 

Edited by SPC

In: Brown

Out: Smith

If Brown not fit then Tommo for Wmith

If Brown is fit he has to come in. If not play Petty forward. Smith wasn't bad but he's just a stop gap. I don't think he can be a regular forward for us. Second half proved that.

Give Spargo a spell at Casey to see if he can regain some form. It made zero sense having him sub. Harmes for sub.

Tommo was stiff but he has had as many bad games as good this year. If Petty plays forward this week then bring him in but if not then leave Petty in defence. 

1 hour ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

No disrespect to JVR because he will be a beauty but interested why no one seems to put him up for omission. 2 goals and 6 marks in this last 2 games and generally having limited impact. I know he is the future but he is not impacting enough at the minute and will likely tire in a long second season for him. I would bring in Tomlinson (who should never been dropped aside from him lacking a match up last round) and back to Petty forward. We also cant rely on Hibberd as he gives his all but his body cant sustain quarter by quarter, let alone week to week. Jordon and Spargo are honest toilers but we have players at Casey who we should start exposing at senior level in front of them. 

Out JVR, Hibberd, Jordon

Because there's no one else 

• Clap 1

1 hour ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

Out JVR, Hibberd, Jordon

Limited impact isn't correct.  there is a lot of contests that he is out of position and makes sure he brings it to ground.

Agree he will need a rest at some stage as he is only 19, but he needs help up fwd.  he is a 19yo playing on the best defenders in the league, this week he comes up against Sam Taylor, the best full back in the league.  He needs a big Key fwd like Ben Brown to take those guys.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Travy14 said:

Limited impact isn't correct.  there is a lot of contests that he is out of position and makes sure he brings it to ground.

Agree he will need a rest at some stage as he is only 19, but he needs help up fwd.  he is a 19yo playing on the best defenders in the league, this week he comes up against Sam Taylor, the best full back in the league.  He needs a big Key fwd like Ben Brown to take those guys.  

Agree he rarely gets beaten but he seems to be getting to less contests and is not having much impact on the scoreboard or up the ground. This week I suggest is the week to not play him as Taylor as you have suggested will likely give him a bath and Smith cant be ommitted on last weeks game. 

Can only give him a rest if Brown comes in, Smith isn't up to the standard unfortunately.  he isn't a forward threat, he is fine for a role but he isn't a marking or goal-kicking threat at AFL Level.

Brown had a very good VFL game on the weekend, he can be to far away, and maybe we play Schacke and BBB if we are giving JVR a rest.  

24 minutes ago, SPC said:

After some time off DL I have had some thoughts. Might be controversial, but given short turnaround.

Ins

Brown, Bowey, Woewodin, Tomlinson, Melksham

Out

ANB, Spargo, Langdon, Gawn(needs a rest), JVR (managed)

I would move Woewodin to half forward, Joel Smith to the wing. Petty and Brown forward. Petty as 2nd ruck. 

Important to try and rest anyone carrying niggles. 

Langdon has been so poor- would love a different look on the wing. 

Note- I don’t have Oliver as getting up for this game. 

When have we ever made 5 changes?