POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

I had been encouraged earlier in the year watching our preseason hitouts to note we had a few more strings to our bow. The game was being tweaked, options trialled and the predictability turfed.

We looked ok...bit rusty.. but we looked far more dangerous imo.

I lamented that come the season proper it had reverted to same same.....same old us. The verve , flair and unpredictability was missing.

It all came back yesterday.

Hope it sticks around.  This is a far far better rendition of the Dees.  Still some work to do, especially the sharp end. Scoreline should have read 18:8

Get that sorted and September beckons.

Well done Dees

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

I had been encouraged earlier in the year watching our preseason hitouts to note we had a few more strings to our bow. The game was being tweaked, options trialled and the predictability turfed.

We looked ok...bit rusty.. but we looked far more dangerous imo.

I lamented that come the season proper it had reverted to same same.....same old us. The verve , flair and unpredictability was missing.

It all came back yesterday.

Hope it sticks around.  This is a far far better rendition of the Dees.  Still some work to do, especially the sharp end. Scoreline should have read 18:8

Get that sorted and September beckons.

Well done Dees

Our backline was fantastic. May had a few fumbles but took some great marks.

Salem, Mcvee and Tommo were great. Bowey to comeback for....I don't know. If Tommo can keep that up, Petty back forward is easy.

Viney has had some patchy form of late nut played an absolute blinder with over 30 possies and ELEVEN tackles.

There is room for improvement with Kozzie, Spargo and Chandler.

Smith showed some wonderful patches of footy in the 2nd half too.

Jvr didn't dominate but played his heart out and always made a contest. Will be a star imho.

Put aside our slow first 11 minutes and our errant goal shots, some inexperienced umpiring and we smashed the so called number one team in the comp. A huge win

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Without going over board 

that game ( only listened to radio) seems to have laid down a foundation for the rest of this year. 
pies had some out.  
we had Petty, Bowey, Oliver, BBB, and Tmac missing all potential best 23, 

also Jackson to freo  from our 2021 side

thats as big a chunk of players as the pies 

one third almost

we can be optimistic. !!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

I am a Fritsch defender now as he has lifted his defensive intensity enough to help the press. But he is frustrating me with when and how he engages in marking contests. There was one down the city end that he just had to engage the opponent and let JVR run at it and take an easy mark. Instead he had his own fly and it led to a rushed behind from memory. He did that a few times. 

We don’t have the luxury of him not knowing his very niche role anymore. He is our best forward, but not our gorilla. He could be our number one target, but only depending on march ups, he could be played out of the square but he also could be a decoy - that is the life of a medium sized forward with elite nous and skills around goal.

Offensively, he needs to take charge down there and that includes giving up his own opportunities to get others their opportunities. What he did at times on Moore was fantastic and a tactical win for Goodwin, but we will need to be ruthless in the future.

Yep, 2nd QTR I think. JVR had no opponent and was free in the goal square and Fritsch just had to block his opponent. But Bailey flew and spoiled JVR.

Fritta and ANB flew at each other later in the game too.

I think we might have found our 3rd tall with Smith yesterday. Petty was not quite the answer and is just a rock down back.

Fritsch is out best and most senior forward now and needs to take that leadership role down front to work in synch with the others, especially JVR as a mentor.

If they can work together as a unit and Kozzie stays on the ground, it will help with our conversion rate immensely.

And goal kicking practice for everyone, especially some drop punts for Trac!

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Yeah, I reckon 10k Melbourne supporters didn’t come coz they thought we’d lose, and the mean old Pies supporters will yell at them. Boo hoo.

Its our ground isn’t it?

I would have come, but it was 'sold out'... I suspect many others were the same.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

8 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

I’m 5 mins into the replay and Gil’s bro has called Sparrow Swallow…twice.

BT called Joel Smith , Steven May at one point.

I'm positive that Tim Watson called his colleague, Nathan Jones, "Jones" at one point.

I reckon Jonesy is doing a pretty good job at special comments.

The rest of them were window lickers yesterday 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

That Moron has said we can't win the flag for the past month at every opportunity. Even on 3AW pre game, he went back to it. He's getting on the front foot now that his go-to hot take has been exposed to anyone paying attention. A disgrace.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, A F said:

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I'll put it here.

Gus started the game horribly, including being responsible for Crisp at the stoppage in D50 when Crisp goalled. 

Gus then worked himself into the game and had a couple of important clearances.

The final Collingwood goal from a D50 stoppage though, Gus is again responsible for Daicos. And like the Crisp D50 stoppage goal, Gus was left ball-watching or simply too slow.

I worry about Gus, because I'm not sure there's a position for him when we have both wings covered, Salem back in the team and Oliver back in the team.

He's a good reader of the play, but he's not quick and he's not a good user by foot either. He's wonderfully courageous, but I do wonder where he fits when/if we're at full strength.

Is it just me?

He is Dom Tyson

• Facepalm 1
  • Angry 1

18 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Our backline was fantastic. May had a few fumbles but took some great marks.

Salem, Mcvee and Tommo were great. Bowey to comeback for....I don't know. If Tommo can keep that up, Petty back forward is easy.

Viney has had some patchy form of late nut played an absolute blinder with over 30 possies and ELEVEN tackles.

There is room for improvement with Kozzie, Spargo and Chandler.

Smith showed some wonderful patches of footy in the 2nd half too.

Jvr didn't dominate but played his heart out and always made a contest. Will be a star imho.

Put aside our slow first 11 minutes and our errant goal shots, some inexperienced umpiring and we smashed the so called number one team in the comp. A huge win

Ive been somewhat critical of re Bowey and i haven't seen anything to sway me...yet.  He does a lot of clever work....only...imo( my eyes watching) to cough it up with poorly weighted ( and chosen style.. lofted or bullet ) passes out of the back.  These are costly.  Personally id leave him in the magoos to tidy up this aspect.  For mine he's not a walk up start.

Thommo was excellent last night...turned back the clock and it all clicked.

I think Petty will need a run or two to regain match fitness before resuming in the 1st 22..again..  just my thinking.

• Thinking 1

Viney was amazing. McVee so clean. The defence has clicked with Tomlinson back and May and Lever playing freely. The question is, where does Petty go when he returns? Gawn on his Instagram posted a single picture of Tomlinson without a caption. I’d say it’s going to be very hard to omit him.

Smith added tenacity and aggression to our forward line. Can we play Smith, JVR, and Petty together?

I feel the writing is probably on the wall with Spargo being subbed. I’ve felt for a while Spargo, Chandler, and Pickett is playing too many smalls.

A note on Trac. The commentators went on about his disposal efficiency today, but he did some great work in close and as usual seemed a class above. His finishing was clearly off and it’s really only his goal kicking that is preventing him from being regarded in the same way as Dustin Martin.

Final note. I’ve always had a soft spot for the international players but I’ve had enough of Cox. Not just the stuff after the siren but after he kicked his goal, it looked like he screamed at Gawn as he ran past (like fast bowlers do to batsman). The arrogance to think you’re anywhere near the class of Max Gawn.

A very important win.

Edited by wisedog
  • Like 11

4 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Ive been somewhat critical of re Bowey and i haven't seen anything to sway me...yet.  He does a lot of clever work....only...imo( my eyes watching) to cough it up with poorly weighted ( and chosen style.. lofted or bullet ) passes out of the back.  These are costly.  Personally id leave him in the magoos to tidy up this aspect.  For mine he's not a walk up start.

Thommo was excellent last night...turned back the clock and it all clicked.

I think Petty will need a run or two to regain match fitness before resuming in the 1st 22..again..  just my thinking.

Ironically Bowser was back to his best in his last game when concussed.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Salo was supreme yesterday.  He's missed a lot of footy and I think a lot of us forgot how important he is. 

We are a much better team when Salo is up and going. It's one of the reasons we bombed last year. 

This time round he looks fit. I've said it before but he is as important as Clarry, Trac, May and Gawn.

• Like 11
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, dee-tox said:

We are a much better team when Salo is up and going. It's one of the reasons we bombed last year. 

This time round he looks fit. I've said it before but he is as important as Clarry, Trac, May and Gawn.

How good is it that we're still winning the Josh Kelly pick swap  :laugh:

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

There is just so much to love from this game. Salem's positioning, defensive work and kicking was awesome but how about the real deal leg speed he is showing too, at one point he out hustled the very fast and talented Bobby Hill to break away from a stoppage at d50, loved it.

I also wonder if we can find a balance which included Fritta, Smith and Petty forward. Smith's chase down tackles and pressure was awesome and Petty will make us even stronger in the air. But you can't have it all, more than likely we go with the extra mid to replace the small which may force Smith out of the side.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

You’re not the only one! Probs best to only ever do that when we’re 10 goals up with a minute left on the clock. 🤣

As someone said earlier, 16 points up with less than 2 minutes to go and us with ball in hand at a kick-in should mean that the opposition doesn't touch the ball again. Chip kicks and switches galore should have been the order of the day. We got there in the end, but heart palpitations should have been unnecessary!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, wisedog said:

Viney was amazing. McVee so clean. The defence has clicked with Tomlinson back and May and Lever playing freely. The question is, where does Petty go when he returns? Gawn on his Instagram posted a single picture of Tomlinson without a caption. I’d say it’s going to be very hard to omit him.

Smith added tenacity and aggression to our forward line. Can we play Smith, JVR, and Petty together?

I feel the writing is probably on the wall with Spargo being subbed. I’ve felt for a while Spargo, Chandler, and Pickett is playing too many smalls.

A note on Trac. The commentators went on about his disposal efficiency today, but he did some great work in close and as usual seemed a class above. His finishing was clearly off and it’s really only his goal kicking that is preventing him from being regarded in the same way as Dustin Martin.

Final note. I’ve always had a soft spot for the international players but I’ve had enough of Cox. Not just the stuff after the siren but after he kicked his goal, it looked like he screamed at Gawn as he ran past (like fast bowlers do to batsman). The arrogance to think you’re anywhere near the class of Max Gawn.

A very important win.

Thanks Wise- best read of the morning so far and agree with remarks on Tomlinson, spargo.

Joel Smith and Tomlinson grabbed their chances and were instrumental in the second half. Well done to them.

After the Cox kerfuffle Max was great in putting his arm between Cox who wanted to go on with it, and Trac. Cox is all duck or no dinner with a big mouth and doesn't understand the context of the game. Poor sportsmanship by him.

Rivers having a fantatsic year.

Kudos to  Pendlebury in embracing Trac after that moment.  Two class acts.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Don't even mention Hunter.

If it was up to @DeeSpencer Hunter would be currently at Casey.

Just shows how completely out of touch he is with the game and current team dynamic. Hunter was absolutely enormous yesterday and has been great pick up this year.

I'm not sure what i was watching, def with my red and blue glasses it would seem, because i never realized he was such a tough bugger at the dogs.

His kicking is what excited me most, but boy is he hard at it. Suits our focus on the contest. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

I feel the same, I can't see anything he can give to our list that we don't already have.

I feel like those that can't see why Gus is the team are missing the Forrest for the Trees. 

At this point he's a pure utility that will play a role pretty much wherever he is needed. He's desperate and a good overhead mark. Like everyone in AFL, will be responsible for a few turnovers each match. 

If he makes way for Oliver (which is feasible given the form of our backs) we have an embarrassment of riches.  

• Like 2