• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs Yartapuulti

Demonland

I'm starting to think that anyone who comes in here or the gameday thread making a big statement like "Wow you'd think from reading this thread we lost by 100 points" doesn't actually watch the game and just sees the scores in the paper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, YearOfTheDees said:

That final throw in. Why was the umpire moving towards the Port goals as he threw the ball in. And moving at speed.

I was hoping that would be questioned in the media.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Redleg said:

I was hoping that would be questioned in the media.

Unlikely, they were all in on the narrative.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

Fox are trying to get Hunter and Viney suspended. Outside of Kath ❤️, they can all get [censored]. Even Garry.

Interestingly they mentioned the Jonas tackle on TMac may be scrutinised, yet the ump paid HTB. What a joke the maggots are. Cheats plain and simple.

Brereton on radio this morning supported Hunter then turned on Viney. He's still a [censored].

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YearOfTheDees said:

That final throw in. Why was the umpire moving towards the Port goals as he threw the ball in. And moving at speed.

There were quite a few throw ins, esp the latter half of the final quarter that can only be described as 'odd' in terms of the way they were "MANAGED" ..   ODD 😉

• Like 1

Just now, beelzebub said:

There were quite a few throw ins, esp the latter half of the final quarter that can only be described as 'odd' in terms of the way they were "MANAGED" ..   ODD 😉

I will watch closely today. I thought they threw it in then turned and moved one way or the other. Maybe he just knew it was a bad throw and moved that way. Not saying we could have won but it took any chance out of the equation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Yeah I'm not sure what ANB is adding to the team.

Should have been dropped last year for some of his insipid games and yet is still getting a green ticket by Goodwin this year.

When the pressure cooker goes up against quality top sides you can bank your house on ANB becoming a fumbling mess.

I look at Collingwood and Brisbane and don't see them carrying a ANB type player in their half forward line. 

The fact that Brisbane don’t have an ANB type player in their forward line is one major reason they have been found wanting in recent years. 

They lack role players. ANB in form is a critical role player for us. His lack of impact last night is part of the reason we struggled. Not enough forward half pressure, not enough of his link up play. 

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

The whole "backing our brand" notion should have been thrown in the bin straight after the Collingwood loss last year on Queens Birthday.

To hear Goodwin say that they knew Butters was pretty much smashing us but then refusing to mitigate the damage just proves that not only is he stubborn, but hasn't learnt anything over the off season.

Who exactly do you think in our 23 last night could have run with Butters?

And don’t tell me we should have picked Harmes. How many times this year have you said Harmes is cooked?

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

There is nothing wrong with backing your system and players, but when it’s not working, there is a lot wrong with not adapting or changing what is happening.

It would not be stupid to suggest, given the 4 point margin, that putting a hard tag on Butters for the second half would have won us the game, despite everything else.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, gOLLy said:

Yes it stings.

But not worried one bit.

We have been in darker darker places.

Salem had a run.

No injuries

I guess it's just that it would be a shame to waste this premiership window.

We already wasted 2022, and this year is not looking particularly positive.

The competition is getting tougher and we may want to take our chances ,while we still have them, with the current list.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, layzie said:

I'm starting to think that anyone who comes in here or the gameday thread making a big statement like "Wow you'd think from reading this thread we lost by 100 points" doesn't actually watch the game and just sees the scores in the paper.

I think you miss the point. It’s not that we just lost by 4 pts, it’s we lost playing a poor brand for 3 quarters and made to look 2nd rate. It’s a brand that many know deep down won’t cut it in September. That’s why I’m seething. 

When the Pies put everything on the line they continually find a way - it’s not a coincidence that they have won so many close games- their method holds up and we have seen It time and time again for 18 months. 

The game plan still looks suspect and now teams have not only worked us out defensively but are now working on our stoppage and midfield game. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Yes.  You can't just look at the margin.  We were well beaten in the first half and in the last quarter we couldn't move the ball

Edited by one_demon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I think you miss the point. It’s not that we just lost by 4 pts, it’s we lost playing a poor brand for 3 quarters and made to look 2nd rate. It’s a brand that many know deep down won’t cut it in September. That’s why I’m seething. 

When the Pies put everything on the line they continually find a way - it’s not a coincidence that they have won so many close games- their method holds up and we have seen It time and time again for 18 months. 

The game plan still looks suspect and now teams have not only worked us out defensively but are now working on our stoppage and midfield game. 

You’ve undone your own argument by referring to Collingwood. 

Collingwood get beaten in key areas for 1-3 quarters many weeks. But they win because of their system and belief. They often only need one quarter (often the fourth) to get the job done. 

That was nearly us last night. Our system is such that we held up well enough defensively despite the ball living in our back half, and whilst they missed some shots, 8 of their behinds were from 45+ metres out. They were taking low-ish percentage shots. 

Like the GC game, the general vibe amongst non-Melbourne supporters is that last night’s game was a good game of intense, finals-like footy. Many of us on here have set their expectations so high that seeing us in an arm wrestle and struggling to dominate equates to non-competitive or incapable of winning the flag. I don’t agree with that argument. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

2 hours ago, DeeZee said:

Our back line just doesn’t seem to be as dependable this year.

I really think Petty is the key to that as he frees everyone else up to do their thing.

We are allowing far more inside 50’s as well as marks. Midfield and forwards not applying enough pressure when oppositions run hot and losing too many centre clearances. Then again we appear less defensively minded and scoring far more freely this season. This game thought the ball seemed camped in their forward line too often. Despite the wet conditions we couldn’t keep it bottled up when we had it forward. 18 to 6 tackles inside 50 tell a story. Astounding we were still in the game at the death.

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Many of us on here have set their expectations so high that seeing us in an arm wrestle and struggling to dominate equates to non-competitive or incapable of winning the flag. I don’t agree with that argument. 

So much this. I blame the 2021 finals series.

Lots of posters can fathom that other teams have good players and structures, its lazy criticism to just blame down performances on effort or structural issues at our end. Port were very good 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DeeZee said:

Our back line just doesn’t seem to be as dependable this year.

I really think Petty is the key to that as he frees everyone else up to do their thing.

With the amount of time they spent in their forward line our backs did just fine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

Collingwood get beaten in key areas for 1-3 quarters many weeks. But they win because of their system and belief. They often only need one quarter (often the fourth) to get the job done. 

That was nearly us last night. Our system is such that we held up well enough defensively despite the ball living in our back half, and whilst they missed some shots, 8 of their behinds were from 45+ metres out. They were taking low-ish percentage shots. 

Like the GC game, the general vibe amongst non-Melbourne supporters is that last night’s game was a good game of intense, finals-like footy. Many of us on here have set their expectations so high that seeing us in an arm wrestle and struggling to dominate equates to non-competitive or incapable of winning the flag. I don’t agree with that argument. 

this

there was little difference between this game and the filth's narrow win over adelaide at the oval - both ostensibly 'superior' teams had purple patches but otherwise had their strengths negated by a side that played hard, disciplined football in ordinary conditions

the only difference is a) yaartapulti are a vastly superior team to the crom and 2) the filth won

• Like 3

2 hours ago, YearOfTheDees said:

That throw in was a joke

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I don't think I missed the point at all and that's precisely what I was suggesting with this post. We literally could not be more on the same page.

It's the people that come on here and make people like you and I feel bad about complaining because 'it was only a 4 point loss" and we should be grateful that I'm talking about. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Thats much the way i see it. We were completely toweled for much of the game yet were still in it all night and could have pinched it in the dying minutes easily. We haven't been playing on the road as well this year as we have the last couple. I think though that our game plan is now much more suited to the G, where we have struggled in the recent past.

I will also say that Hinkley is a very, very good coach but until now hasnt really had the team to go with.

• Like 3

Those that suggest we didnt go toooooo bad .....after all it was only 4 points , think about the real reason we were within a kick.

Port couldn't buy a goal early on.  

Had they...well... it's a different conversation for some. 

• Like 3