• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 09 vs Hawthorn

Demonland

Petty down back. Apart from anything else, May seems to play better when he’s down there, and frees up Lever to be an interceptor. Turner will get his chance. 

2 hours ago, deejammin' said:

He did, against the Saints. He then waited the better part of a year and a half for his next game though. I like Turner but if we’re playing him as a key he’s not ready yet and undersized, he plays better as a second or third KPD, even in the VFL Tomlinson takes the largest forward . Especially when we have a premiership KPD to play there in Petty., it’s not Turner’s time yet. 

I agree that  Turner will be better playing a flanker role and could be a chance to take Hibberd's spot, I also think he will get more oppurtunities this year.

Petty made his debut in round 15 2018, got dropped and then played 10 games in 2019, forward and back, he also won the Harold Ball Memorial Trophy in that year, didn't play at all in 2000 so I am assuming he was injured.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Glorious Day said:

I was a massive fan of getting Hunter in. Thought he’d be pivotal on the ‘other’ wing. Aside from a few moments here and there this season, he’s looked slow, cannot get enough penetration on his kicks and makes poor decisions too often putting team members under unnecessary pressure. I hope this doesn’t become the norm - that we are dealing with a very limited player, rather than one I expected would make a tangible difference.

As I’ve said repeatedly, we need to use our squad rather than playing the same blokes week in and week out. If any of our guns need a rest, next week is the week to do it. It’s a very long season. 

I’d love them to play Spargo on the wing for a few weeks and see if he can’t run all day. His kicking is excellent 

Three things I'd like to see from three different individuals. 

May to either play with condifence and keep his [censored] feet. 

Clarry to take a couple of seconds to realise he has time to dispose of the ball with more care. It's killing. 

Lever to stop turning the ball over out of D-50 as he does it multiple times a game. 

No injuries, bring the same level of intensity and we'll win by 50+

• Like 2

The way Fritsch plays annoys me (I think) as much as @DeeSpencer, but the way he plays is what it is. He's a star and he's never going to be dropped, because he'll usually hit the scoreboard and is a game breaker.

However, your suggestion for Joel Smith, who I'm not a fan of, has merit this particular week and possibly the following week.

Providing the FD believe he has enough kms in the legs, I'd bring him in for JVR and send Petty behind the ball. I'd then use Smith as a defensive forward on Aliir Aliir the following week.

So Smith for JVR and I wonder if we can get Spargo in for one of our smalls that needs a rest? Otherwise, Spargo for Turner.

5 hours ago, Roost it far said:

I’d love them to play Spargo on the wing for a few weeks and see if he can’t run all day. His kicking is excellent 

Spargo filled in on the wing quite a bit last year. I'm a big Charlie fan, but I reckon he needs to play forward of centre. The wing is too high and then occasionally too defensive for his height. It could well be exploited going back the other way.

I'd prefer we go Gus to the other wing if Hunter's spot is in jeopardy, but Lingers has struggled the last few weeks IMV, so the wing is a hard call this year.

32 minutes ago, A F said:

The way Fritsch plays annoys me (I think) as much as @DeeSpencer, but the way he plays is what it is. He's a star and he's never going to be dropped, because he'll usually hit the scoreboard and is a game breaker.

Dropping him is radical, but I really think Ross Lyon would do it as he did Milne and Dal Santo one year at the Saints. 

Otherwise I think Fritsch should be constantly encouraged by whichever methods Goodwin, Stafford, Choco and co have to become a more rounded player. He was late to the AFL system and is only 26, there's no reason why he shouldn't be still improving. And to be fair to him I think he has made some ground this year. Disposals and tackles are both marginally up, goal assists are improving. I just think he can be so much more than what he already is which is clearly a very good player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Dropping him is radical, but I really think Ross Lyon would do it as he did Milne and Dal Santo one year at the Saints. 

Otherwise I think Fritsch should be constantly encouraged by whichever methods Goodwin, Stafford, Choco and co have to become a more rounded player. He was late to the AFL system and is only 26, there's no reason why he shouldn't be still improving. And to be fair to him I think he has made some ground this year. Disposals and tackles are both marginally up, goal assists are improving. I just think he can be so much more than what he already is which is clearly a very good player.

Ross Lyon is who we are taking advice from now? 

Fritta is not getting dropped ffs. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

If we didn’t drop Fritsch in the last few years with his tepid defensive efforts we certainly aren’t going to do it now he is in our top 10 players. 

I think he has been a lot better in that regard FWIW.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I don't think it is and I don't think the rules have changed. If you feign a handball it should still be ok and not play on. 

One thing that irked me was twice I think the umps seem to force us to take the advantage which wasn't there.

I heard an interview with Ray Chamberlain the other day where he explained this rule.

It should be play on as soon as a step is taken that isn’t forward or backwards on the line of the mark (i.e. a side step).

So shaping to handpass isn’t play on if the feet don’t go to the side.

The change this year is no 50 metre penalty for failing to stand if the man on the mark is momentarily fooled and moves a little due to the feigning actions of the player with the ball.

I also noticed the umpires deciding there was advantage when the Melbourne players clearly didn’t want it due to being hemmed in on the boundary with no open forward options. In some other sports the umpire or referee can wait for a few seconds to see if there actually was an advantage, and if not then blow the whistle and pay the prior penalty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

The thing with Fritsch is he’s actually a really good tackler, has really good technique. However his ability to chase, harass, bump and apply said tackle is still poor. It’s why you can’t have a 70% BBB and he in the same forward line. It’s why JVR, despite his low numbers is a better option. Still time…..

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Yeah but would Clarko have dropped Gunston for Billy Hartung to add some forward pressure?

10 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

The thing with Fritsch is he’s actually a really good tackler, has really good technique. However his ability to chase, harass, bump and apply said tackle is still poor. It’s why you can’t have a 70% BBB and he in the same forward line. It’s why JVR, despite his low numbers is a better option. Still time…..

The JVR incident is actually the perfect example of why he's there. It's otherwise a routine defensive mark for the opposition and here comes the kid out of no-where making something happen out of nothing. It's been so good to have. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, Roost it far said:

Does he have a long enough dump kick though? 

I feel like people are very quick to turn on Hunter. Hs having a good season, with aspects of his game to work on like the majority of the 22. 

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, DemonWA said:

Does he have a long enough dump kick though? 

I feel like people are very quick to turn on Hunter. Hs having a good season, with aspects of his game to work on like the majority of the 22. 

Yeah little surprised with the Hunter bashing at the moment. 

• Like 8

In - BBB, Hibberd

Out - JVR, Turner

Thought Turner settled well after a shaky start and was a bit stiff to be subbed. However I assume he was warming the seat for Hibberd.

Spargo would have to be extremely close but you couldn't drop Chandler off one quiet game.

Maybe JJ goes out for Spargo, with the former being on the edge of selection all year.

Glad we have Hawthorn this week rather than Port (which will be a early-mid season litmus test/audit for us). The weekend was a taxing game and 4 interstate trips in 8 weeks is a lot for a VIC side. Compare that to St Kilda who have travelled just once, and that one game was at a neutral venue against Collingwood.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Yeah little surprised with the Hunter bashing at the moment. 

Me too, there's a small article in the paper about how much his run is contributing to our winning last quarters - he may not have pace but he has great endurance and doesn't stop running

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, sisso said:

Me too, there's a small article in the paper about how much his run is contributing to our winning last quarters - he may not have pace but he has great endurance and doesn't stop running

And his kicking is top notch. Was at the game Saturday and thought he played OK. His pass in front of us to JVR was perfect only for JVR to spill the chess mark. Thought Hunter was better than Langers and IMV will stay in the side. 

• Like 8