• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TRAINING: Tuesday 7th February 2023

dazzledavey36

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

Just a reminder that there is an advertised Open Session at Gosch's Paddock tomorrow. I will be in attendance to provide my observations.

Date: Wednesday 8th February
Time: 9:30am

* Please note: There are no public undercover areas available at Gosch's Paddock so please come prepared for weather conditions. Training times and locations are subject to change at late notice.

Make sure you call ahead

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Trent Burgoyne: …… Asked him abut his chances getting on the list and in his own words.. "Yeah nah should be pretty easy to get a gig."

😂🤣

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Demonland said:

He did just before Christmas. Trackwatchers have since noted post Christmas that he has often left the track wincing in pain and clutching his hand indicating a problem that may be new or relating to that pre-christmas issue. 

Considering he had to go back under the knife, it's not really surprising he has been in some discomfort. I think it's a good sign that he is not wearing any strapping/ support at the moment. When I saw him pre-christmas he was wearing strapping around the thumb /wrist area and that was after the 1st surgery.

I'd imagine the Medicos are waiting for it to settle and trying not to aggravate it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Players mingled with supporters and went out of their own way to take photos with the kids etc.

Happy to answer questions.

Really great to get another opinion that validates what some of us have been seeing. Many thanks for the report and I'm very pleased for your youngster as well. Another diehard Dee supporter in the making.

Did you see anything of Kye Turner? He is Burgoyne's direct competition for the list spot and I'm wondering who you would favour. Personally I see a lot of upside in Burgoyne but he and Turner are different types.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Olgreybeard49 said:

Trivia facts (I used to work in Yea): 1. The golf course had a tournament rule 'balls taken by magpies may be replaced without penalty' I don't golf so maybe that's normal; has stuck in my brain for 50 years. 2. In the same week that I lodged a drought relief application, the town was flooded. Canoes in the main street etc.

Thanks for the training reports, folks.

Manangatang local rule from when I was a lad learning the game on sand scrapes and in the mallee scrub - ball down snake hole replaced without penalty

magpie one not unusual 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, dworship said:

Really great to get another opinion that validates what some of us have been seeing. Many thanks for the report and I'm very pleased for your youngster as well. Another diehard Dee supporter in the making.

Did you see anything of Kye Turner? He is Burgoyne's direct competition for the list spot and I'm wondering who you would favour. Personally I see a lot of upside in Burgoyne but he and Turner are different types.

It's really hard to judge who is ahead of who based on today's session. 

It was really just a flush run session just to get the legs moving, and balls zinging around.

There was no contested game style one on one where players were going at full 100%.

I watched Burgoyne closely in one of the stationary kicking drill and he didn't miss a target at all. He's certainly got that 'Burgoyne' poise and smoothness in the way he handles the footy below his knees.

I also watched Turner after a bit and my immediate reaction was that he has an odd kicking style, but was pretty effective.  He's also quiet tall and lean and moves athletically similar to Joel Smith.

You're probably better off asking the regulars in @DeeSpencer  @kev martin  @Slartibartfast and @Demonland who get down a bit more often and have watched a lot of the match simulation drills.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

In saying that, if I'm going for a needs point of view then I'm going Burgoyne @dworship.

Just not entirely sure another key defender is really on top of the needs list.

Burgoyne on the other hand would add some outside dash and poise off a half back. Losing Hunt last year and Jetta the year before, I just feel we haven't exactly filled those type of players that being a lock down defender who can some serious speed off half back.

Burgoyne may potentially fit that need.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

In saying that, if I'm going for a needs point of view then I'm going Burgoyne @dworship.

Burgoyne on the other hand would add some outside dash and poise off a half back. Losing Hunt last year and Jetta the year before, I just feel we haven't exactly filled those type of players that being a lock down defender who can some serious speed off half back.

Thanks Dazzle that's what I was alluding to when I said they were different types.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dworship said:

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

You're probably better off asking the regulars in  @kev martin and  who get down a bit more often and have watched a lot of the match simulation drills

I see Kye as the better option. Just an opinion. At times he drops off, but some of the things he does, have a bit of X-factor. I think with a few years in the system he will get his confidence and consistency. 

Burgoyne is a steady player, but can be left out of the play. For a small he needs to get either, in and under (not sure if he has it in him), or demand the ball as an outside runner. He has plenty of composure, seems to be able to set up plays and makes great decisions. As Kossie"s mate maybe they will list him and he could be what Bedford could have been, creating magic on the field as they look for each other. I believe Burgoyne needs a feeder.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Burgoyne is a steady player, but can be left out of the play. For a small he needs to get either, in and under (not sure if he has it in him), or demand the ball as an outside runner. He has plenty of composure, seems to be able to set up plays and makes great decisions. As Kossie"s mate maybe they will list him and he could be what Bedford could have been, creating magic on the field as they look for each other. I believe Burgoyne needs a feeder.

What do you think about Dazzles comment regarding him developing down back?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dworship said:

What do you think about Dazzles comment regarding him developing down back?

In the sims he usually has space and moves around as a mid. I have seen him intercept but have not seen him play either one on one, or in the defensive zoning area.

That's not to say that he hasn't or can't. 

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Dazzle, Demonland and all posters, enjoyed the report today Dazzle and also great that you and your youngster had a great day out, the boys are really looking good.!!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Good to hear your take on Deakyn Smith. Might be a bolter. 

He might be able to play that half back small medium lock down role (agree its a weakness - Hunt couldn't quite make it work).

Though he might be better as a running half back as sounds like a good athlete (not unlike hunt).

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Olgreybeard49 said:

Trivia facts (I used to work in Yea): 1. The golf course had a tournament rule 'balls taken by magpies may be replaced without penalty' I don't golf so maybe that's normal; has stuck in my brain for 50 years. 2. In the same week that I lodged a drought relief application, the town was flooded. Canoes in the main street etc.

I played a game of cricket against Zimbabwe at Yea in the mid-90s and the field was immaculate. Not that we got to field that many balls though with the Zimbabweans whacking them over the fence!

Edited by dee-tox
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, binman said:

Good to hear your take on Deakyn Smith. Might be a bolter. 

He might be able to play that half back small medium lock down role (agree its a weakness - Hunt couldn't quite make it work).

Though he might be better as a running half back as sounds like a good athlete (not unlike hunt).

He glides across the field and just seems smooth and calm with ball in hand. He was another Choco was praising him constantly when he was in his kicking drill.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kev martin said:

I see Kye as the better option. Just an opinion. At times he drops off, but some of the things he does, have a bit of X-factor. I think with a few years in the system he will get his confidence and consistency. 

I’m not all that excited by either of the candidates for the vacant spot, partly because neither stands out enough to me and partly because we’re not screaming out for their type - eg for K Turner, he’s going to be way out the back of the line for a key defender’s spot.

I would be waiting for the mid season draft even though we’ll probably be the last pick.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

He glides across the field and just seems smooth and calm with ball in hand. He was another Choco was praising him constantly when he was in his kicking drill.

I love that Taylor has really targeted elite foot skills in his drafting over the last 3 seasons.

In my opinion our kicking skills across the board has long been our biggest weakness. Maintaining possession of the ball and hitting targets has never been more important.

Turnovers have always hurt in footy of course (because they often result in oppo scores), but if you can't reliably spot up free players under pressure so they can take a mark (as was often the case in the back half of last season) you can't control the tempo of the game or give the defensive zone time to set up behind the ball.

Salem out of form and Bowey out of the team really hurt us in this regard last year. 

Laurie, Bowey, Howes, Deakyn Smith and Jefferson are all excellent kicks.

if you add Schache and Hunter, then that is pretty big injection of high level kicking skills over a relatively short period. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to be a bit slow but this is my first chance to post for a couple of days. Not going to add anything to yesterdays training reports as it was a very light session but I did get to a members chat/coaching seminar in Seymour on Monday night. Goody, Choco, Richo and Ooze spoke and answered questions for local members and budding coaches for an hour and a half.

The players and coaches did a clinic for the local youngsters right up to under 18's beforehand and with the main oval in Seymour still closed since the flood, the clinic happened at the oval across the road from my place. Didn't know the clinic was there and got a massive surprise to walk out the front door Monday arvo and see Max, Tracc and Clarry running around. I had seen Josh Schache running laps on that oval during the summer break and commented to a fellow local demon that he was the first Melbourne player I had seen running around town since I was a kid worshipping local blokes Russell Richards and Mick O'Sullivan. Just a few weeks later and the whole squad show up. I was more than a little chuffed. 

So anyway, on to the important stuff, what the coaches said.

They said both Max and Grundy will spend time forward but Goody also said Max was knackered at the end last year, he's not young anymore, and they don't think he can play 25 games and still be cherry ripe at the pointy end. Expect to see him "managed" a bit throughout the year. Also talked up Schache"s preseason and improvement in his ruck work, said he'll definitely get opportunities. They also said Clarry and Trac were pretty beat up at the end of last year at hinted at more mid rotation and possibly more bench time to have them cherry ripe for finals. 

Goody is a massive Petty fan and said he could be one of the great defenders of the game, better than Maysie. He acknowledged that was a huge call but all the coaches were very strong in their praise of Petty. They also said great teams start with a great defence and they believed ours is up there with the best in the comp and that is largely due to the big 3 May, Lever and Petty and they aren't keen to break that up to send Petty forward.

They said Van Rooyen will play but not necessarily round 1. Choco was very strong on not only do recruits have to be ready for the rigours of AFL footy but they have to go past the player who has their spot in the team. He said BBB kicked six in match practice last week and TMac is moving really well so there is real competition for KPF spots.

It sounded like Hunter was a monty to play round 1 and they see him as best 22.

They hinted at something being missing last year. Hunger, intensity, desire, the intangibles were off right from preseason. It was something I noticed in games all last year. Our attack at the man and the ball and our intensity just weren't at 2021 levels. They said it is back this year with interest. Also said their analysis showed we were struggling in the back half last year and we weren't any near what is required to win a premiership and there will be more effort to keep the list fresh. Emphasised it was a delicate balance but they ned to give the young blokes opportunities. So I think we should expect to see more changes week to week than last year which is a good thing.

Some of the more coaching related questions gave interesting insights as well. Goody was asked about turning around our culture from what it was when he first arrived and he told a story where a player said to him after they just missed finals in 2020 that the team just didn't have enough players with the will to win. Goody asked him how many he thought had it and he said he thought maybe 12. Goody then asked him how many he thought there was at the club when he first arrived and his answer was 2. Goody said if the 12 of you put in the work and have a massive preseason maybe we'll have 14 by the end of it. Win a few games early and maybe there will be 18 by midseason and 22 by finals. Goody was very big on trying to get everyone on board, inclusion and respect seem to be the major drivers. If players feel wanted, respected and that they have a voice they'll buy into the team first ethos necessary to turn a talented list into a premiership one.

I think it was Choco who singled out one of the young fellas who had been at the clinic and had hung around to listen to the coaches afterwards. He asked the young bloke if he was the one who ran 150 metres when the session finished to thank Goody and the other coaches for their time. Choco said they had all been impressed by that and even the players had mentioned it as a Melbourne thing to do.

Goody was asked at one point how much he got out of study trips abroad and seminars and the like and he said you never know but hope for a few good insights, but stressed to the upcoming coaches that they don't always cost thousands. He said one of the best he ever did was a $60 internet webinar during covid which I think he said was more for business. It was about valuing and respecting your employees and getting better results, "immersing them in the river."

I left feeling the club is in good hands and pretty bullish about the season ahead. Go you bloody demons!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6
  • Love 4