Kozzy Pickett Re-Signs for 4 Years

1 hour ago, Deebauched said:

March is just around the corner and we will be playing R1 soon after. Pickett still to re-sign. May signed up again and he would be a more valuable player.

He cant keep the club in limbo after all the speculation last year re LJ.

Why can’t he? Angus decided late. 

We have good players now that have 10 clubs in their ears at all times - we have to get used to that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Yes he can. It’s his decision not the fans.

True, but the club is still bigger than the player although alot of players dont see it that way.

Its starting to look like he might take the gamble of having a big season then  sign for $ mid or later in the year. That makes sense from his managers position.

The reality is that Kozzy deserves to be getting 650-700k per season for this deal. We may not be able to match Port or other suitors given the deals that Trac, Oliver, Brayshaw have all signed. We know Lever, May and Gawn are all north of this figure. So it leaves very little for the rest.

If Kozzie gives us a 100% this season and still leaves I won’t  be upset. It’s his life and his choice but importantly if he stills delivers his best he deserves respect and gratitude. If he plays just good enough to keep his place in the side and still no contract signed I won’t be very pleased. Playing a halfarsed Luke Jackson certainly contributed to our late season decline in 2022.

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ManDee said:

According to Google maps, Adelaide to Murray Bridge is 56 minutes (74km)

So the reality is Melbourne is further away from the Murray 2hr 47 min (224km)

I'm pretty sure you mean Echuca.

You know what I mean.   Echuca is on the Murray (somewhat to Echcua's detriment with all the recient flooding).

Although as you point out, technically the Murray may be closer to Adelaide, but the time it get's there, it's a bit like the city of Adelaide it's self - a backwater [censored] hole.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, rpfc said:

Why can’t he? Angus decided late. 

We have good players now that have 10 clubs in their ears at all times - we have to get used to that.

They knew about Angus a lot earlier but were waiting on Jackson to sort out the contractual details (length, front/back loading etc)

• Like 1

If its a contract value thing and he wants to stay- then we'd be hearing, "We are close, just trying to work out a few things" OR something along those lines of "I'm confident we'll sort something out soon"

Anything else tends to indicate that he is undecided on future club or has already got a verbal commitment with another. 

Think about how May, Trac, Gawn, Oliver got done in the last couple of years. 

If we go into the season proper without his signature we are starting at less than 50/50 odds of securing his services. If we get to Round 10, I'd say its less than 10%.

None of the 4 clubs in WA/SA are really primed to offer us any worthwhile compensation in the form of picks - West Coast and Adelaide will both finish better than bottom 5. Port's 1st pick is connected to Collingwood's 2nd rounder, which puts it in the 30s and Freo's first pick is firmly placed at #20.

Kozzy demands a top 5 pick + change based on the 40+ goals he has kicked and his age. He much more proven than LJ was and most clubs know this. Player swaps and future picks will not cut it  - we dont really need any upgrades anywhere on the field as we are already stacked for talent and the clubs above wont really offer up their a-grade talent unless they really want to come home to Victoria. Who would we take from these 4 clubs anyway? 

Port: Butters - maybe but they'd be crazy to let him go?; Georgiades - not required anymore. 
WC: nobody
Adelaide: nobody
Freo: H.Young or Serong + Pick 20 + 2024 F1 (out of getting jibbed on LJ)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Red and Blue Flame said:

The reality is that Kozzy deserves to be getting 650-700k per season for this deal. We may not be able to match Port or other suitors given the deals that Trac, Oliver, Brayshaw have all signed. We know Lever, May and Gawn are all north of this figure. So it leaves very little for the rest.

Mate, everything you've written here is conjecture. It's not opinion, its not fact, it's complete guesswork.

Perhaps Max or Lever are on heavily front loaded contracts, so their amounts for 2023/24/25 could be smaller than before. Maybe Gus took less than we think to stay with his premiership mates.

Any number of possibilities could be true, but I reckon if Kossie wants to stay the club will find a way to do it.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Port: Butters - maybe but they'd be crazy to let him go?; Georgiades - not required anymore. 
WC: nobody
Adelaide: nobody
Freo: H.Young or Serong + Pick 20 + 2024 F1 (out of getting jibbed on LJ)

If Kozzy goes it will probably be be the stock standard "cookie cutter" mid range first round pick and a future first or second rounder for Kozzie and a later pick. More or less what we gave up for Lever and what we received for Jackson.

Clubs that acquire talent like a Kozzie Pickett are in the business of making their list better, not having to give back a star player like a Serong, Young or Butters in return. Unfortunately, we would have no bargaining power as Kozzie will be out of contract and he will clearly have a club of choice that he'll nominate and eventually get to. This is the modern day AFL trade landscape.

With that being said, I clearly hope he stays, but I'm not going to let the constant speculation consume and ruin my enjoyment of the season. We went through this with Jackson. I don't want 2023 to be the same.

Lastly, the club is obviously always bigger than one player and let's not forget that Kozzie is coming off a very poor finals series. He was invisible against Sydney and terribly undisciplined against Brisbane.

• Like 2

I would be shocked if the club can’t come up with an offer to satisfy Kozzy. Surely Dollars or contractual terms won’t be the issue (and I have no issue with Kozzy asking for what he’s worth. I’d do the same).

I think it’s a question of Kozzy deciding whether he wants to continue living in Melbourne or be closer to kin. I hope he decides to stay with us because a) he’s an excellent player with no obvious like for like replacement and b) he’s out of contract so we’ll have to accept what we’re offered as happened with the Jackson trade,

• Like 4

9 hours ago, praha said:

They might start strong but they have zero depth. They're in Hawthorn territory now of "Win a few big games here and there but be mostly mediocre".

I hope so - I'm not saying they'll challenge for a flag but I don't think they get the spoon either.

2 hours ago, FlashInThePan said:

I’m going to spare myself the self mutilation of trawling through another multi hundred page thread of alternating pleading, agro and conjecture masquerading as fact.

Could someone DM me or start a new thread if any actual facts emerge?

The best thing is claiming in February to have a hunch on which way it will go.

18 hours ago, Stiff Arm said:

Mate, everything you've written here is conjecture. It's not opinion, its not fact, it's complete guesswork.

Perhaps Max or Lever are on heavily front loaded contracts, so their amounts for 2023/24/25 could be smaller than before. Maybe Gus took less than we think to stay with his premiership mates.

Any number of possibilities could be true, but I reckon if Kossie wants to stay the club will find a way to do it.

Not conjecture - confirmed by Alan Richardson end of last season on trade radio, that most good clubs have their top 8 tied up to nearly 50% of salary cap. Unless they are prepared to do a hawthorn/geel and play for less/success...

New CBA means that average salary has increased significantly since last broadcast deal.

20 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

If its a contract value thing and he wants to stay- then we'd be hearing, "We are close, just trying to work out a few things" OR something along those lines of "I'm confident we'll sort something out soon"

Anything else tends to indicate that he is undecided on future club or has already got a verbal commitment with another. 

Think about how May, Trac, Gawn, Oliver got done in the last couple of years. 

If we go into the season proper without his signature we are starting at less than 50/50 odds of securing his services. If we get to Round 10, I'd say its less than 10%.

None of the 4 clubs in WA/SA are really primed to offer us any worthwhile compensation in the form of picks - West Coast and Adelaide will both finish better than bottom 5. Port's 1st pick is connected to Collingwood's 2nd rounder, which p
Freo: H.Young orSerong + Pick 20 + 2024 F1 (out of getting jibbed on LJ)

Serong has a Geelong connection so they will  be the frontrunner for sure.

On 2/24/2023 at 11:22 AM, Red and Blue Flame said:

Not conjecture - confirmed by Alan Richardson end of last season on trade radio, that most good clubs have their top 8 tied up to nearly 50% of salary cap. Unless they are prepared to do a hawthorn/geel and play for less/success...

New CBA means that average salary has increased significantly since last broadcast deal.

So you're claiming Richo said that "Kossie deserves 650-700k" and that "May, Lever and Gawn are on north of  that" in 2024? And he said we may not be able to re-sign Kossie because of the Tracc, Clarrie and Gus deals???

Wow, if true he should be sacked immediately 

I met Kozzy today at the Family Day. What a charming young man!

I asked him whether he would sign up with the Dees for next season. He said yes. I asked him whether I could record that ... he said no !!

I remember when MFC picked him at #12 in the draft. At the time I thought that was 'overs'. In hindsight ... what a steal!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

I just want to someone with authority at the club when asked in an interview about Kozzie to go with the old school ‘nah he’s a required player we love him and we’re not going to trade him’….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sideshow Bob said:

I just want to someone with authority at the club when asked in an interview about Kozzie to go with the old school ‘nah he’s a required player we love him and we’re not going to trade him’….

To what end?

’So you will be comfortable with him going into the draft?’

’Sure. Whatever. List Mangt is HARD! Lol srsly’

Just treat people with respect and people will want to stay. How the club handles things must be effective. Our generational players are signed up through the decade (Oliver and Petracca).

• Like 4