• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 03 vs Essendon

Demonland

If two years ago someone told you we’d be 3-0 to start 2022 after winning the flag in 2021, coming off 9 straight wins and not being in great form, missing Lever, Salem and some tall guy we got from North, you’d smack them in the face and tell them to get off the crack. 

Appreciate what you have in this team please!

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 15
  • Love 3

13 hours ago, DemonOX said:

Langdons goal what an absolute gem. 

Goal of the year front runner imo. 

Loved his reaction too, priceless. 

Diagree entirely. I was extremely happy that it went through but it was close to a fluke. Sadly, this is the sort of goal that wins goal of the year at the AFL. Like Serong last year, when clearly the Kozzie Goal against St Kilda in Round 2 was way way way better.

• Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1

Just a side praise of Brayshaw. Pre-match I was keeping an eye on Weiderman and Brayshaw was almost always with him, he was pumping him up, giving him hugs and keeping him chipper. Then after the game he game he was full of praise for Sam when being interviewed. Gus is the perfect example of a clubman, so much love for the bloke. 

• Like 16
  • Love 12

Said pre game to my mate that if the Weid kicks 4 does he hold his place. If so, who's spot does he take when BBB comes back? We concluded it would be Tmac.

However, Weid is similar to BBB in that he mostly works from goal inside 50. Tmac has the aerobic capacity to work high and deep, and he can play back.

Will be an interesting dilemma for the selection committee this week.

I suspect Weid will go back to Casey.

But I hope not.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Pates said:

Just a side praise of Brayshaw. Pre-match I was keeping an eye on Weiderman and Brayshaw was almost always with him, he was pumping him up, giving him hugs and keeping him chipper. Then after the game he game he was full of praise for Sam when being interviewed. Gus is the perfect example of a clubman, so much love for the bloke. 

If you watch the Gus and Gawney podcasts you'll see Brayshaw has a man crush on Weid.
Having said that.
All the boys got around him when he started clunking marks and kicking goals.
They all want him to do well.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sydney_Demon said:

Diagree entirely. I was extremely happy that it went through but it was close to a fluke. Sadly, this is the sort of goal that wins goal of the year at the AFL. Like Serong last year, when clearly the Kozzie Goal against St Kilda in Round 2 was way way way better.

Agree. Flukes from the boundary, even under pressure are no match for a player zig zagging around multiple opponents and goaling under pressure even if dead in front.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

Only 44k at the game tonight, which was very poor imo. Hoped for more Dees fans at the game, but we had to have 25k (closer to 30) in the crowd .

Dons fans soft and turning toes up at season already (marvellous)

And the bizzare thing about the crowd number was that in the same Friday night game in round 3 2019, we got 53K in our home game against Essendon despite both clubs starting 0-2 that year.

The club will be disappointed by the number but COVID is truly keeping 10,000 away IMO.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

The club will be disappointed by the number but COVID is truly keeping 10,000 away IMO.

On a different note.
Watched Gawny high-five about 10 people each hand while walking off down the race last night.
They should keep some hand sanitiser down the bottom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

14 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Considering the experience that is out, i will take a 5 goal win. 
No injuries and 4 points at Round 3

onward…

Absolutely.

It wasn't  pretty but it we could have easily kicked 111 points with the two posters and other missed shots.

Trac was not his usual self so I assume hes carrying some sort of injury.

But as predicted his partner in crime Oliver took over.

Weid the big story with four majors that could have easily been five perhaps six.

Gus was sublime...20 .MARKS...wow.

Bowey our good luck charm continues to play like a 100 gamer.

Smith I thought did well.

Rivers more settled.

Some Hollywood handballs at times but credit to Bombers tackling.

But we are three zip with Lever, Bbb and Salem still to return.

With Weid starting we have options in every department.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sydney_Demon said:

It was 100% a fluke. The only thing he new he was doing was aiming at the goals. Fluke with a bit of skill. Goal of the yr imo at this stage. 

• Like 3

Was already mentioned I think but looking back at the highlights, the two goals by Harmesy when everyone else seemingly couldnt convert were pivotal. 

The wingers club had an absolute night out, what a game from gus and lingers!! 

• Like 12

Weideman had a great game. Under a lot of pressure, he provided a great target - our only real target into 50. 7 scoring shots, should have kicked 6 but still a great effort. 

He has only played 40 games or so. Needs a good run at it now. Ben will steal a lot of his ball inside 50 but I think they can work together. I fear T Mac might be having one of his down years. His body has lost that bit of agility he had last year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

If two years ago someone told you we’d be 3-0 to start 2022 after winning the flag in 2021, coming off 9 straight wins and not being in great form, missing Lever, Salem and some tall guy we got from North, you’d smack them in the face and tell them to get off the crack. 

Spot on. My dad used to say good sides win when they are not looking so great. They just get it done. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sydney_Demon said:

It is still Goal of the year…..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

I'd have told them to get off my lawn, give me back my newspaper and stay out of my Hardware store. 

Edited by layzie
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Told you all that Weideman was a good selection pre game.

Nah jk I put my hand up. That was like Weideman of the 2018 finals series. More of that thanks.

Tom McDonald on the other hand is depth now. Casey. Whatever it takes.

One game I'd rather forget and move on with the win.

Yes he had a good game but he needs to string together a number of them. Quick to replace Tmac on the strength of one game. It is 3 seasons ago since 2018 finals. I hope the next good game is closer than that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Petracca appeared to have an interesting role last night possibly to protect his knee but also to surprise the opposition.  

He had only 2 clearances which suggests he didn't attend many stoppages or the tactics were for him to play a defensive rather than his usual attacking role.  It looked like he was a decoy to lead his tagger (usually McGrath) away from the play/contest and stay out of Ess fwd line.  This allowed Oliver to run amok without anyone on him altho Caldwell tried but to no avail.

And it looked like Bowey took over some of Petracca's work, attending stoppages in our back half and playing higher up the ground when we attacked and to defend in the midfield.  All the while Brayshaw was like the Berlin wall with 20 marks.  Not much got past him.  A very good Lever clone albeit his work was just fwd of the d50 rather than inside the d50 as Lever usually does.

If my hunch is right about Petracca being a decoy to free up other players and reduce Ess attacking capability it was smart coaching and planning.

Goodwin's comments in the Presser would tend to back that up.  He said words to the effect that Petracca played his role to perfection.  Didn't elaborate on what that role was...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Agreed.

What impressed me was how he seamlessly he fitted into the team and our 'system'.  He got good separation from defenders, lead well, contested well and didn't let his early misses affect his confidence for the rest of the game.  And he kicked 4.2.

That was a well rounded performance by him.  Couldn't be happier to see him rewarded for his perseverance and hard work.

Really hope he stays in the team.

Thing that most impressed me was that he was marking everything that came his way, in contrast to his previous few outings, where he couldn't hold a mark for the life of him!  If this is the "new Weid", I like it!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stiff Arm said:

Said pre game to my mate that if the Weid kicks 4 does he hold his place. If so, who's spot does he take when BBB comes back? We concluded it would be Tmac.

However, Weid is similar to BBB in that he mostly works from goal inside 50. Tmac has the aerobic capacity to work high and deep, and he can play back.

Will be an interesting dilemma for the selection committee this week.

I suspect Weid will go back to Casey.

But I hope not.

If wied goes back after that game and tmac stays I will be bitterly disappointed. I realise it's just one game but he needs to build confidence. Tmac can't change direction, bend over or let a better placed team mate go for the ball without spoiling them. 

• Like 2