NON MFC: Rd 23 2021

Diamond_Jim

I’d prefer Brisbane in Adelaide to simply eliminate any possible home ground/town advantage for Port regardless that we beat them over there.  Finals are a different game and everything counts.

Edited by ProperDee

Can't believe how poor the Dogs were last night. Their form has fallen off a cliff

I think there is more chance of the Eagles getting beaten by 100 points than winning the game. Overweight down hill skiers

9 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

@Clintosaurus - thoughts on the drivers of the outcome of this match?

I'm a little bit interested in why the Dogs have been deserted by the umps the last 3 weeks  after 6 years of nothing but love. I did post a few weeks back that I thought the AFL wanted Brisbane and Port in the top 4. Looks like it may just happen, but at the time I thought it was us that was being assisted out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vomit 1

57 minutes ago, BDA said:

Can't believe how poor the Dogs were last night. Their form has fallen off a cliff

Actually very reminiscent of 2004 Dees where we limped into finals after hitting top of the ladder. They look shot and could well go out first week if the Lions do the job on the Eagles.

Port are an interesting one because not much of what I saw gave me any fear from them, Dogs looked poor and Port just got the job done. I was hoping that Dogs would win to ensure a top 2 finish but now the onus is on us to beat the cats tonight. 

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1

Dogs remind me of the 2004 version of us. Flying on top a few weeks ago and premiership fancy to every chance of finishing 5th. Most could sense Dogs had used most of their petrol tickets by quarter time. 

Port just stuck to their guns after copping a few early punches, it wasn’t pretty by them as they fumbled most of the night and it took Boak going forward to make the difference in the game. What a performance by him.

• Like 3

Port have absolute A graders (A+ even) in Gray, Boak and Wines. Dragged Port over the line.

Bulldogs stars Libba, Bont, Naughton et al didn't really fire. Macrae had so many possessions but wasn't really influential. Bulldogs supporters getting stuck into Beveridge ... It was stupid not playing Sweet. Port rucks had a field day (or night). And my God, do they get stuck into Smith !!! Deserved really ... great start to his career but he's really dropped off. Seems like he's really full of himself.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Remind me again why we didn’t draft Wines! Unbelievably bad decision at the time. 

It was just one of dozens at the time. Looking back, it is a wonder we survived at all the Mark Neild era. Ironically, l think Wines’ replacement at the time Jimmy Toumpas was eventually traded to Port Adelaide. 

Edited by Dees2014

15 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Dogs remind me of the 2004 version of us. Flying on top a few weeks ago and premiership fancy to every chance of finishing 5th. Most could sense Dogs had used most of their petrol tickets by quarter time. 

Port just stuck to their guns after copping a few early punches, it wasn’t pretty by them as they fumbled most of the night and it took Boak going forward to make the difference in the game. What a performance by him.

And look who we played in the 2004 elim. Essenscum and look who the dogs will more than likely play this year. Essenscum.

8 hours ago, Nairobi_Demon said:

Perhaps the umpires have noticed the talk about their huge free kick advantage and are trying to balance it out (a little) before season ends

I’d say this is undoubtedly true. They’ve also been more vigilant on paying the throws. No Bruce, no umps, no Dogs. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Northern Summer said:

Doesn't matter what happens tomorrow with next week. So we play Port in Adelaide if we lose and most likely Brisbane in Adelaide if we win. I'm not sure one scenario is more scary than the other. Port have been involved in something like 6 games with results being within two goals and won every single one of them. If luck went against them and they lost a few, they'd have been vying to just make the 8. 

We have beaten both teams this season, both away from home.

We have lost 4.5 games this season. In every single one of them, we were still in the game with less than 10 minutes to go. We have been the best team this season and by quite some distance, we have a very healthy list such that we've been able to drop Hibbo and Milkshake. Just stick to our game plan, be discipline and keep the intensity up, and we will be fine.

It is infinitely more preferable to play the Lions in Adelaide than Port in Adelaide. We actually have quite a good record at the Adelaide, but it would be preferable not to be in front of a feral SA crowd barraging for a SA team. 

I still hope to see essenscum get beaten tomorrow and west coast or freo get in. I'd probably rather see freo in. 

I will watch hawthorn richmond today. Gee what a beautiful day it would be to sit at the G today. Still can't believe the best coach of the last 10 years is finishing up today. Well done Clarko you have been great. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bates Mate said:

A good spreadsheet calculation of what Brisbane need to beat wce by to snatch 4th spot. Can't remember a better final round in terms of lager position shuffling scenarios.

https://twitter.com/scoopacoopa/status/1428696629096292361/photo/1

This spreadsheet is triggering PTSD from rd23 2017 when we were needing the crows to beat the eagles. Thankfully this time we are firmly entrenched in the top 4! 

Edited by Delusional demon 82

2 hours ago, Demon17 said:

Sesnsible summary I reckpm NS.

I am also looking at the positive from last night and that is if we lose tonight we play Port in Week 1, then importantly not again unless we both make the GF.

Any prelim we make WILL not be against Port at their home ground.

The same applies if we win tonight. We won't then meet Port in a prelim at Adelaide. We will get the option of ground selection

We will overall avoid the only team with a huge home ground opportunity until a GF and that will be in Perth anyway.

2 hours ago, Demon17 said:

Don't agree.  Our biggest threat is meeting Port in a knockout final in Adelaise.  That most likely dissappearde as a scenario last night no matter what happens.

Not sure of the logic here. 

If we win tonight, we can still end up in Adelaide for the prelim - they win their first final, we lose ours. Puts us in their half of the draw. 

20 minutes ago, Mr Steve said:

Can not see the Eagles winning tonight but I do give Carlton a chance of beating GWS.  That would give Freo a shot at finals tomorrow which of course they will blow. 

The Blues would have to be as kind in their farewell of Teague as they were in his first game as coach. Can’t see it happening because he’s lost the players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clintosaurus said:

I'm a little bit interested in why the Dogs have been deserted by the umps the last 3 weeks  after 6 years of nothing but love.

Called twice last night for throwing the ball....the umpires have finally been told/caught up/opened their eyes to what has been going on for the past couple of years.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Rossmillan said:

As an Adelaide based supporter, can someone tell me where this speculation that we might play our home final in Adelaide if we win comes from?  

It’s sounds promising…..

First of all let's just win tonight then we'll start talking.

Outside of the MCG and Marvel where in Australia have the Dees played there best Football and their record has stood up in the past 5 years?

Answer: Adelaide Oval its a no brainer, logistically its a 1 hour flight, the players love the ground.

What more is there to say.

• Like 2