NON MFC: Rd 23 2021

Diamond_Jim

Well there's only one game (possibly two) that interests the MFC purist.

Will the Dogs win tonight and if they lose can Brisbane replace them in fourth spot.

Dogs are firm favourites to win at Docklands but they have lost their last two against Essendon and Hawthorn (this one was a very solid loss).

Dogs to lose on the basis that their forward line will not function correctly (Where's Stringer when you need him).

Which sets up the Brisbane v Eagles match at the Gabba.

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 2

I'm a bit conflicted on how I'd like to see the games to make up the teams in the bottom half of the 8 fall.

On the one hand, I'd rather not see Essendon make it, but then I'd also like to see West Coast supporters suffer some pain and suspense of thinking they are in with a sneaky chance of making finals only to be denied at the last minute.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I'm a bit conflicted on how I'd like to see the games to make up the teams in the bottom half of the 8 fall.

On the one hand, I'd rather not see Essendon make it, but then I'd also like to see West Coast supporters suffer some pain and suspense of thinking they are in with a sneaky chance of making finals only to be denied at the last minute.

Certainly don't want WCE in finals if they're mostly played in Perth. Worst possible outcome other than us ending up playing Port in Adelaide. 

• Like 3

Other than ours, the only game that truly matters to me is Dogs v Port. Dogs win and we can all breathe a sigh of relief in knowing that won't be playing Port in Adelaide in the first final.

But St Kilda v Fremantle and Essendon v Collingwood are interesting games if you're looking at who finishes 8th. If Fremantle win, Essendon has to win. Would be far more interesting if Fremantle gets up, putting the pressure on Essendon to try to avoid doing a 2017 Melbourne.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Redleg said:

If Clarko has just told the truth that he is taking next year off to travel the world, then Ross Lyon is probably the next Blues Coach.  

He all but admitted to this the other night on Footy Classified. 

You have to feel for Teague. The bloke's replacement has been all but made and he is still in the job! The blues need to rip the bandaid off and sack him.  let him leave with some dignity intact

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Looking for the dogs to lose and us win.  Rather play Brissie first week then dogs.  Port we can beat as they struggle against well structured defensive sides.  

could be a couple of upsets this weekend, reckon Freo could pull off an unlikely victory.  Last rou no with lots on stake for lots of teams. 

I think the dogs will win in a close one tonight.  can't see them losing 3 on the trot. Dunkley and Treloar all back now, their midfield will fire

It's a pity that these two teams get an extra days break before finals as it should have been us (assuming we finish first). I assume we will be playing next Sat night

11 minutes ago, DubDee said:

I think the dogs will win in a close one tonight.  can't see them losing 3 on the trot. Dunkley and Treloar all back now, their midfield will fire

It's a pity that these two teams get an extra days break before finals as it should have been us (assuming we finish first). I assume we will be playing next Sat night

Been trying to remember, does 1st play on the Friday or Saturday traditionally in the first week of finals?  

3 minutes ago, Darkhorse72 said:

Been trying to remember, does 1st play on the Friday or Saturday traditionally in the first week of finals?  

no idea. for some reason I have never needed to be aware of such information! 😂

I would assume the top team would not be disadvantaged by a 6 day break

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Darkhorse72 said:

In 2018, we finished 5th and played Geelong (8th) on the Friday. Richmond (1st) played Hawthorn (4th) on the Thursday. There was a bye though.

29 minutes ago, DubDee said:

You have to feel for Teague. The bloke's replacement has been all but made and he is still in the job! The blues need to rip the bandaid off and sack him.  let him leave with some dignity intact

Kind of amazing really that Ross Lyon rejected Collingwood on the basis of club instability, yet is still prepared to entertain an offer from Carlton.  Kind of has the same overtones as when he took over the reins at Freo in similar circumstances, where the rug was pulled out from under the feet of an existing coach.  I'm really not sure thay quality things that people say about Ross are justified on this basis.

Can’t say I’ve ever looked forward to a non -MFC Friday night game as much at this one tonight. Said to my myself at the start of the year I would love to have finals locked in before going to Geelong in the last round, Top 4 locked in is just a massive bonus. Stating the obvious, a crowd under the roof would have topped it off.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Doggies having Tim English in the ruck again tonight is a big weakness. Lost the hitouts last week 55-15 and centre clearances 10-4. Port playing both Lycett and Ladhams who are both quality (comparatively). I can see them losing it tonight in the guts, but hope I'm wrong.

30 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

Doggies having Tim English in the ruck again tonight is a big weakness. Lost the hitouts last week 55-15 and centre clearances 10-4. Port playing both Lycett and Ladhams who are both quality (comparatively). I can see them losing it tonight in the guts, but hope I'm wrong.

good point. The dogs could have put in Martin tonight but maybe they want him cherry ripe for finals?  English is very good fwd so they should be desperate to get another ruck in.

I'm a little surprised Schache didn't come back in down back too.

Port have been in good form but if the dogs mids fire and the Bont dominates, they will win

1 hour ago, Darkhorse72 said:

First has played on the following nights over the last few years since Thursday night finals were implemented:

2020 - Port - Thu night

2019 - Geelong - Fri night

2018 - Rich - Thu night

2017 - Adel - Thu night

2016 - Syd - Sat arvo

Knowing the AFL, we'll probably cop a 4 day break and be the pioneers of Wednesday night finals.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TRIGON said:

Optimistic or in denial?

why wouldn't he take a year travelling the world without a care with about a mill$ courtesy of hfc

if he takes another coaching job he loses the golden handshake or a good slice of it

he'll still get a snr coaching job somewhere when he comes back if he wants it

i know what i'd do in his shoes

10 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

why wouldn't he take a year travelling the world without a care with about a mill$ courtesy of hfc

if he takes another coaching job he loses the golden handshake or a good slice of it

he'll still get a snr coaching job somewhere when he comes back if he wants it

i know what i'd do in his shoes

I think TRIGON was referring to Covid travel restrictions.  He's not a movie star so he may not be able to travel.

44 minutes ago, sue said:

I think TRIGON was referring to Covid travel restrictions.  He's not a movie star so he may not be able to travel.

ah right......yeah forgot about that nasty little c-detail......getting out of the country will be the problem

but surely in the new year????????????