2020 Free Kick Differential

Demonland

5 minutes ago, Rossmillan said:

It’s not how many are paid, it’s where and when they are paid.

Interesting to see viney and Gawn in top 5 free kicks for.  Grundy is on top of the list, why am I not surprised

Also the ones not paid of which there is no stat or accurate measure of whether it's reasonably not paid. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rossmillan said:

It’s not how many are paid, it’s where and when they are paid.

Interesting to see viney and Gawn in top 5 free kicks for.  Grundy is on top of the list, why am I not surprised

Because like Gawn he's a good ruckman and ruckman occupy 3 of the top 6 in both for and against categories? (5th in frees against.) 

• Like 1

Collingwood occupying their usual top-two spot. Which is why it feels weird that we had the absolute run against them not only in the last match but once or twice in other games over the past few years. The 2017 Watts-game I recall as being one other instance. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Also the ones not paid of which there is no stat or accurate measure of whether it's reasonably not paid. 

This is the bigger gripe by far

But I've watch a lot of games this year and I'm comfortable that the umpiring  (and weekly interpretation changes) has been so appalling that most teams cam claim to have had a $h!t run

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

The only valid umpiring gripe that exists is west coke having the run of the home crowds and certain umpires for now almost 20 years. Every other whinge re bias is just statistically not there over a reasonable time frame.   

Bulldogs, Kangaroos and Magpies together make up at least half the 'top 4 finishes' for free kick differential each year since 2015 (inclusive).  So that's three clubs claiming a 'top spot' almost every year while the remaining 15 clubs average a spot every ten years.

Three of those six season (including this year) ALL THREE of those clubs have finished in the top 4 for free kick differential, and over the same period NOT ONE of those clubs has ever finished outside the top 8 for free kick differential.

Personally, I can't figure out a conspiracy theory that would include the Dogs, North and Collingwood, but the result is there to see!

As for the Eagles - the last time they finished outside the top 8 for free kick favour was 2004, with ninth. From that year they then managed ten consecutive years in the top four, but, interestingly, they've not been getting such a spectacular run in the last few years. Still better than normal, but not so spectacular.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

..... also, it's when and where the frees are paid.  I'm sure the umpires seek to square up the free kick count late in games.  I've often observed a late flurry of frees to a team which brings the ledger closer to square at the end, than it was at (say) 3/4 time.  We are most often the 'victim' in this scenario.

• Like 1

We’ve been on the very bad side of the ledger every game against the Bulldogs for years.

( remember last year when they got a very dubious ruck free against  Max,for a match-clinching late goal, and Max responded to the umpire’s explanation with....”that’s ruck-craft, big boy!”)

It’ll be interesting to see how we go on a Saturday after our surprisingly good go against the Mudpies.

Edited by Jumping Jack Clennett
Addition
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Demonland said:

Perhaps it's just my one eye but I thought we'd be dealt a worse hand than this. 

7A919415-79B6-4685-8E13-F5795CDB3CA7.jpeg

Anyone else loving seeing #nofreekickhawthorn!?

The Pies game definitely squared the ledger a lot, we got one of the best rides I’ve seen from the umpires that night. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pates said:

Anyone else loving seeing #nofreekickhawthorn!?

The Pies game definitely squared the ledger a lot, we got one of the best rides I’ve seen from the umpires that night. 

We were 14 - 7 at half time. At the end of the game it was 21 - 15. Only a 6 + differential. 

Previous 2 weeks were -8 & -6. 

• Like 1

Apart from the Pies & Kangas anomoly there's some nice results in there for a change.  Even in our game i was wondering how the hec they were sitting on about 14 to 8 frees at one point when we were clearly getting most of the ball and leading by 20 odd points at that stage.  We must, in general, be seriously loathed and victimised by the umps and i think that stemmed from the Nichols match in 2016 where Maxy thumped the ball away at the centre bounce as it went outside the circle and Nichols was heard to cry "what the hell did you do that for!??".  As someone pointed out earlier the super dodgy ruck free against him that cost us the match against the doggies in 2019.

Lovely to see the Hawks and Essendrug on the bottom.  That has to be a first for a very long while i would guess.

And what happened to Meth coke?  Did the online petition to dump Margettes & Daglish from the local Darby from Freo supporters finally result in Gil having a word on the side telling them to ease up a little this season in general i wonder?  15 years of biased (some might say cheating) over there and now this.  Even then they are still fairing ok sitting at approx 50/50. 

There is no way the GF should be played out west for the Dagettes factor alone.  Unless of course they are banned from officiating in all finals matches involving Meth.

Edited by Rusty Nails

10 hours ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

We’ve been on the very bad side of the ledger every game against the Bulldogs for years.

( remember last year when they got a very dubious ruck free against  Max,for a match-clinching late goal, and Max responded to the umpire’s explanation with....”that’s ruck-craft, big boy!”)

It’ll be interesting to see how we go on a Saturday after our surprisingly good go against the Mudpies.

You're spot on we get reemed against them every time. Remember the Pink Lady game a few years ago when we even had goals overturned on inconclusive evidence.

Also there was that game v.Bullies at the MCG years ago, when Darcy got a free in front against Jimmy for the winning goal.

The ump. that perpetrated that was on his first game back after recovering from a serious accident the previous year(he had to learn to walk and talk again). It was his last AFL match.

It didn't help us....we lost because of it.

2 hours ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

Also there was that game v.Bullies at the MCG years ago, when Darcy got a free in front against Jimmy for the winning goal.

The ump. that perpetrated that was on his first game back after recovering from a serious accident the previous year(he had to learn to walk and talk again). It was his last AFL match.

It didn't help us....we lost because of it.

Well to counter that, we took the Bulldogs' spot in the 2005 finals by beating them in the second last game of the year off the back of a bit of a dubious free kick to Jeff White.

The video of which has just been uploaded by the AFL, and brings back amazing memories (particularly seeing Neale Daniher running down to the ground as the final siren sounded).

Conspiracy theories.....ummm yes; the Prime Minister, Mr D Andrews has directed the umpires to favour those clubs with working class (coal mining) roots.  What about the Swannies you may ask?  Most of the directors own a coal mine.

Another quiet day in TNQ.

18 hours ago, Demonland said:

Or in the case of Fitsch there were 2 clear marks that weren't paid

On 8/19/2020 at 8:59 PM, Demonland said:

Or getting all your frees in the back pocket while your forwards get few.

• Like 1