Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
samcantstandya

List changes who do we cut, trade or go after.

Recommended Posts

On 8/29/2019 at 11:57 AM, picket fence said:

Wrong !Spargo, Billy Stretch just as bad

Trade or delist. Spargo, Billy Stretch, JKH, ANB, T Smith, both Wagners.

AVB Gets one more year under the new fitness Guru and thats it

Chandler and Bedford Just by the skin of their teeth

Hopefully Dunkley comes on a Bit

 

I like it.  Get rid of list cloggers 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I like it.  Get rid of list cloggers 

No more movement & it's been nearly a week. I think the FD need to have more fibre in their diet. We have only delisted Garlett from the senior list along with the Maynard & Lewis retirements. If we get Langdon that will mean as it stands that we only have 2 picks probably 2 & 38 as they stand at the moment  Freo will want pick 20 at least. With the season we have had surely we can move JKH etc on...... Might be they think they can trade him & some of the others. Also other than Keilty (rookie) what about Walker cat B always injured and AVB perpetually injured. Surely we can't carry players indefinitely. For instance JKH has been on the list for more than 5 years and still plays like a deer in headlights and Vanders is never fit. Very poor list mangement. We have too many VFL standard players like the Wagners, ANB etc....shades of Terlich etc from 5 years ago surely we need to hit the draft and get some new talent.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2019 at 11:57 AM, picket fence said:

Wrong !Spargo, Billy Stretch just as bad

Trade or delist. Spargo, Billy Stretch, JKH, ANB, T Smith, both Wagners.

AVB Gets one more year under the new fitness Guru and thats it

Chandler and Bedford Just by the skin of their teeth

Hopefully Dunkley comes on a Bit

 

Spargo is in his 2nd year.  He was brilliant last year and had an average year this year, he definitely gets more time.

its not uncommon for players to have a downer in their second  year.

Its ridiculous to think you get rid of 18 or 19 yr old kids.  They are not going to come in and dominate. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, samcantstandya said:

No more movement & it's been nearly a week. I think the FD need to have more fibre in their diet. We have only delisted Garlett from the senior list along with the Maynard & Lewis retirements. If we get Langdon that will mean as it stands that we only have 2 picks probably 2 & 38 as they stand at the moment  Freo will want pick 20 at least. With the season we have had surely we can move JKH etc on...... Might be they think they can trade him & some of the others. Also other than Keilty (rookie) what about Walker cat B always injured and AVB perpetually injured. Surely we can't carry players indefinitely. For instance JKH has been on the list for more than 5 years and still plays like a deer in headlights and Vanders is never fit. Very poor list mangement. We have too many VFL standard players like the Wagners, ANB etc....shades of Terlich etc from 5 years ago surely we need to hit the draft and get some new talent.

There is plenty of time left yet to delist players that are not required.

Edited by drysdale demon
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JKH, J Wagner are no brainers. AVB by the skin of his teeth, lucky he has a contract. I’d give Spargo another year but I don’t see any attributes of his that will justify selection going forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Spargo is in his 2nd year.  He was brilliant last year

Gilding the Lily a bit there '11'...

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spargo showed signs that he could make the grade in 2018 but all at sea in 2019..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rjay said:

Gilding the Lily a bit there '11'...

For a 1st year player, he was brilliant.  The kid played the whole second half of the year and was integral to our forward line.  

The impatience people have on young players is ridiculous. 

Players need time in system to develop and improve their fitness. It doesn’t happen in 1 or 2 years and if you think it does you are kidding yourself.

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

For a 1st year player, he was brilliant. 

 

No rising star nom???

He was ok, played a role, obviously a coach favourite...not brilliant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Spargo showed signs that he could make the grade in 2018 but all at sea in 2019..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which is very common for 2nd year players.   They are nurses through their first year and by the 2nd year they are expected to do everything which is why many struggle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Which is very common for 2nd year players.   They are nurses through their first year and by the 2nd year they are expected to do everything which is why many struggle 

Spargo has gone from 18 games 1st year to 8 games in a poor team struggling to fill numbers 2nd year

Not a trajectory that offers much hope... reminds me of Jimmy Toumpas

  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a sinking feeling that KK will be gone.

My suspicion is that medical advice will at best be equivocal and the club will correctly take the decision that the player's long term health should not be endangered.

Looking back on it he was out for a lot longer than Brayshaw in a somewhat comparative situation to which you add his time out at the Suns.

Could be wrong but the player's health has to come first.

On a related note I simply see no reason to retain AVB if his contract can be voided/paid out. The risk /reward equation just does not stack up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Spargo has gone from 18 games 1st year to 8 games in a poor team struggling to fill numbers 2nd year

Not a trajectory that offers much hope... reminds me of Jimmy Toumpas

A fair bit of difference i’d say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Spargo is in his 2nd year.  He was brilliant last year and had an average year this year, he definitely gets more time.

its not uncommon for players to have a downer in their second  year.

Its ridiculous to think you get rid of 18 or 19 yr old kids.  They are not going to come in and dominate. 

 

Brilliant ummm .... have you been on the turps D11?  He had some moments early and the occasional cameos later on.  At other times he looked out of his depth as you would expect at his stage.

But your second para is on.  Unless rookies are dominating and leap froging mature or veteran playes ( subject to length of injury list) young players like Spargo, in their first two to three seasons, should be spending the majority of their time downstairs learning/refining their craft and team rules etc.

Too early to make a call but also shouldn't be getting as many games as he has either until/unless he is kicking the door down.

Our list does need a much bigger broom than what we've seen so far though if we are to avoid another disaster like this season.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 11:06 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

10 Outs. 

Lewis Maynard Walker retired. Delist- Jkh Spargo TSmith Keilty Garlett Wagner-j Vandenburg(medical) 

10

ins 

Schoenmakers (free agent) Langdon (swap 1st round 2020 pick) Cutler ((swap 4th round pick) 

draft. #2 Noah Anderson (if pick #3, Lachlan  Ash) # 21 Elijah Taylor  #39 Miles Bergman #57 Brodie Newman 

rookies added - Lockhart Dunkley Wagner-c

 

Add trades of Stretch to Crows for Jenkins and ANB to Power for Amon. Busy off season if we get daring.  Langdon for 2nd round-pick 21 works.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I have a sinking feeling that KK will be gone.

My suspicion is that medical advice will at best be equivocal and the club will correctly take the decision that the player's long term health should not be endangered.

Looking back on it he was out for a lot longer than Brayshaw in a somewhat comparative situation to which you add his time out at the Suns.

Could be wrong but the player's health has to come first.

On a related note I simply see no reason to retain AVB if his contract can be voided/paid out. The risk /reward equation just does not stack up.

Thanks Doctor Jim. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Brilliant ummm .... have you been on the turps D11?  He had some moments early and the occasional cameos later on.  At other times he looked out of his depth as you would expect at his stage.

But your second para is on.  Unless rookies are dominating and leap froging mature or veteran playes ( subject to length of injury list) young players like Spargo, in their first two to three seasons, should be spending the majority of their time downstairs learning/refining their craft and team rules etc.

Too early to make a call but also shouldn't be getting as many games as he has either until/unless he is kicking the door down.

Our list does need a much bigger broom than what we've seen so far though if we are to avoid another disaster like this season.

Ok maybe brilliant was a little over the top but you see my point. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Add trades of Stretch to Crows for Jenkins and ANB to Power for Amon. Busy off season if we get daring.  Langdon for 2nd round-pick 21 works.  

Schoenmakers??? No thanks. 

He is been on the Hawks list for 8 or 9 years, there is no way he cuts it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Schoenmakers??? No thanks. 

He is been on the Hawks list for 8 or 9 years, there is no way he cuts it. 

The hawks supporters I know, unfortunately quite a few, don't rate him at all. No idea how he has stayed on the hawks list for so long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where to put this so here is as good as any place.

Heard King yesterday put big wraps on Sparrow as a mid...

I don't think he would have seen much if any of him so the wraps must be coming from someone he rates to make that call.

Hard at it and explosive pace away are King's comments.

Personally I've been concerned that he didn't get a lot of ball at Casey when playing as a mid.

Have though he might make it as Jetta's replacement.

I guess we wait and see.

I hope King is right on this occasion.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I have a sinking feeling that KK will be gone.

My suspicion is that medical advice will at best be equivocal and the club will correctly take the decision that the player's long term health should not be endangered.

Looking back on it he was out for a lot longer than Brayshaw in a somewhat comparative situation to which you add his time out at the Suns.

Could be wrong but the player's health has to come first.

On a related note I simply see no reason to retain AVB if his contract can be voided/paid out. The risk /reward equation just does not stack up.

Interesting, because if that happened, it would mean the club we are probably losing pick 2 to, will have also benefited from the KK deal, again involving us,  in which we basically got nothing in the deal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2019 at 12:17 PM, rjay said:

No rising star nom???

He was ok, played a role, obviously a coach favourite...not brilliant.

Brilliant and Spargo don't go in the same story let alone the same sentence.

He cannot get in the best five each week at Casey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Add trades of Stretch to Crows for Jenkins and ANB to Power for Amon. Busy off season if we get daring.  Langdon for 2nd round-pick 21 works.  

Luuuurve this scenario!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have seen 4 players go and clearly we will have more changes. IMO we have identified a few players who are tradeable and we are keeping them until deals can be done.

Then again I could be wrong, I remember it happening once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2019 at 12:14 PM, Demons11 said:

For a 1st year player, he was brilliant.  The kid played the whole second half of the year and was integral to our forward line.  

The impatience people have on young players is ridiculous. 

Players need time in system to develop and improve their fitness. It doesn’t happen in 1 or 2 years and if you think it does you are kidding yourself.

Sorry if this is about Spargo, then it must be a joke. Spargo was gifted games in 2018.  Didn’t get a rising nomination because his games were average.  His final vs Eagles was a sign that he is not up to it.  At his height, like Daniels and Gresham, you need real grunt and skills.  Spargo is a nice player, kicking is horrendous and has no real pace. Imo he should be delisted or traded now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...