Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The 2019 Draft and Trade Targets Thread

Nascent

17 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Anderson is a star!  

Probably will be. However @Demon Disciple's question was "If you were the recruiting manager with pick #1 in the draft, would you pick Rowell or Anderson first?". @dazzledavey36's response was Anderson. So interested in Dazzle's, and any other draft talent watchers for that matter, opinion as to the merits of Anderson over Rowell.

16 hours ago, A F said:

Kent's kicking is iffy at best. Terrible call. 

Kent was allowed to go elsewhere because he was far too inconsistent. Im no VDB fan but at least he shows consistent work rate, hence the contract offer.

I Resemble   that.

• Haha 1

Matthew Allen from the Eagles is one player who should be on the Dees radar. The South Australian is now 21 and been on the Eagles list without cracking a game.  Won B&F for East Perth in WAFL last year. Good skills and is a goal kicker. Due to strength of Eagles, he can’t get a go.  Worth a late draft pick or delisted free agent opportunity imo. 

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:04 AM, Lord Nev said:

I agree mate, and I've said similar things about Kent and Hogan as well, who were two of our best users going inside 50. I understand the different reasons both left, but we didn't try super hard to keep them. Especially with Kent it hurts when we offered vandenBerg the contract length that Kent wanted but couldn't get.

We've shipped out 3 of our best users going forward and haven't replaced their skill, so we shouldn't be surprised by how far that part of our game has fallen away (when it wasn't even that great to begin with).

both injury prone and now both out for the rest of the year at their clubs,

7 hours ago, TRIGON said:

Probably will be. However @Demon Disciple's question was "If you were the recruiting manager with pick #1 in the draft, would you pick Rowell or Anderson first?". @dazzledavey36's response was Anderson. So interested in Dazzle's, and any other draft talent watchers for that matter, opinion as to the merits of Anderson over Rowell.

Personal opinion is that a bigger mid is a much better option than the smaller option.  I think Anderson is nearly 190cm and is a goal kicker.   Rowell from what I have seen is more inside which I think we have enough of.

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Kent played 13 games. vandenBerg played 0.

And as per above, Kent has average more than twice as many games per season.

And of course we actually knew that VDB's injury wouldn't recover and that the injury prone Kent would get a run of games.  I know whom I would prefer if both were fit.

It must be nice having a crystal ball, though one wouldn't want to sit down too hard, or play in a scrum.

1 minute ago, monoccular said:

And of course we actually knew that VDB's injury wouldn't recover and that the injury prone Kent would get a run of games.  I know whom I would prefer if both were fit.

It must be nice having a crystal ball, though one wouldn't want to sit down too hard, or play in a scrum.

The average games per year and type of past injuries would have given a pretty good indicator I would have thought, doesn't seem that ground breaking to look at injury history if you're going to offer contracts based on it.

Are you saying you weren't surprised when vandenBerg was offered 3 years (considering he was 27 at the start of the season and averaged 5 games per year)?

11 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

The average games per year and type of past injuries would have given a pretty good indicator I would have thought, doesn't seem that ground breaking to look at injury history if you're going to offer contracts based on it.

Are you saying you weren't surprised when vandenBerg was offered 3 years (considering he was 27 at the start of the season and averaged 5 games per year)?

MFC seems to suffer periods of premature ejaculation when it comes to contract negotiations  ie VDB and Goodwin

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Comparison wise, I think Anderson is thought to be in the Bontempelli/Dusty mould who can play fwd/mid, is good overhead, fast, dynamic and similar in height at 188 cm. Rowell is similar to a Shuey/Murphy who can play inside/outside, hard at it with neat skills and good aerobic capacity. 

As bad as it sounds, i'm hoping the Dees finish 17th so we can secure one of these future stars. But in true Melbourne fashion we will probably start winning games and get pick 4 or 5...lol. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Caligula's cohort said:

Comparison wise, I think Anderson is thought to be in the Bontempelli/Dusty mould who can play fwd/mid, is good overhead, fast, dynamic and similar in height at 188 cm. Rowell is similar to a Shuey/Murphy who can play inside/outside, hard at it with neat skills and good aerobic capacity. 

As bad as it sounds, i'm hoping the Dees finish 17th so we can secure one of these future stars. But in true Melbourne fashion we will probably start winning games and get pick 4 or 5...lol. 

I hope we start winning games and those around us do too

Watch the afl award GC17 the first five picks in the draft...

4 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

I hope we start winning games and those around us do too

Watch the afl award GC17 the first five picks in the draft...

I'm not interested in wins this year... the season is gone and we are playing atrocious football. What I want to see is cohesion in the group (especially in the forward line), improved skills and to see guys like Brayshaw, Jetta, Harmes, Hibberd and Weideman recapturing their 2018 form. They should also get a couple of games into Jordon, Bedford and Chandler to help them launch into the 2020 season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Caligula's cohort said:

I don't discount Kemp as being a potential Bont/Cripps type

• Like 2

In terms of potential, Kemp would be likened to Dangerfield. He’s a powerful athlete who has size and bursts from stoppages when in midfield, but is a marking option who hits the scoreboard when up forward. He’s probably got the highest ceiling, but less chance of reaching it.

Anderson would be likened to Bontempelli. He’s a tall midfielder who can win it inside and be super damaging outside with his evasion and kicking skills. He also rests up forward and hits the scoreboard. His performances are the best and most consistent of the potential high picks. He’s the pick of the bunch to become a star of the AFL IMO.

Rowell... I see him as a Jacob Hopper/Marc Murphy. Smaller midfielder, more inside than out, decent enough pace, doesn’t hit the scoreboard much or stray from the middle. I’d be disappointed if we ended up with him, as he’s a safe bet to be a solid inside midfielder, but doesn’t have stand out attributes like other potential high picks.

Other potential high picks are

Serong - Robbie Gray with less consistency

Ash - Liam Duggan with more pace

Young - a more versatile Nick Haynes

Edited by Lord Travis
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

In terms of potential, Kemp would be likened to Dangerfield. He’s a powerful athlete who has size and bursts from stoppages when in midfield, but is a marking option who hits the scoreboard when up forward. He’s probably got the highest ceiling, but less chance of reaching it.

Anderson would be likened to Bontempelli. He’s a tall midfielder who can win it inside and be super damaging outside with his evasion and kicking skills. He also rests up forward and hits the scoreboard. His performances are the best and most consistent of the potential high picks. He’s the pick of the bunch to become a star of the AFL IMO.

Rowell... I see him as a Jacob Hopper/Marc Murphy. Smaller midfielder, more inside than out, decent enough pace, doesn’t hit the scoreboard much or stray from the middle. I’d be disappointed if we ended up with him, as he’s a safe bet to be a solid inside midfielder, but doesn’t have stand out attributes like other potential high picks.

Other potential high picks are

Serong - Robbie Gray with less consistency

Ash - Liam Duggan with more pace

Young - a more versatile Nick Haynes

interesting that you compare ash to a defensive pressure forward, cos from my understand he's mostly played running defender - gotta say his contested ball winning numbers - or lack of em - worry me a great deal; positively toumpas-like in terms of percentage

people forget that robbie gray was a speculative pick at #55 when port grabbed him - he's my fave non-demon so if serong turned out to be as good as robbie i'd happily have him

i would love anderson but i think he and rowell are headed to gc17, and we'll have a choice of one of the others

rowell sounds like he'll be an immediate inside midfield rotation player no matter where he goes next year, while anderson and kemp will be initially outside runners, potential there to become damaging inside / outside players

who would you like the most of these players @Lord Travis? which do you see as being able to benefit us immediately vs long-term, and what roles would they have in our side?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Assuming Anderson is taken at #1 and we have #2, Then If Rowell is a chance to become one of the best inside mids in the game within 4-7 years, and a solid contributor even in his first year, like Sam Walsh. Then isn't it worth picking him up and shipping off 1 of our current inside mids with currency to another club to trade in some outside pace wing/mids? Also assuming we've earmarked a couple of players already.

Edited by John Demonic

3 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

interesting that you compare ash to a defensive pressure forward, cos from my understand he's mostly played running defender - gotta say his contested ball winning numbers - or lack of em - worry me a great deal; positively toumpas-like in terms of percentage

people forget that robbie gray was a speculative pick at #55 when port grabbed him - he's my fave non-demon so if serong turned out to be as good as robbie i'd happily have him

i would love anderson but i think he and rowell are headed to gc17, and we'll have a choice of one of the others

rowell sounds like he'll be an immediate inside midfield rotation player no matter where he goes next year, while anderson and kemp will be initially outside runners, potential there to become damaging inside / outside players

who would you like the most of these players @Lord Travis? which do you see as being able to benefit us immediately vs long-term, and what roles would they have in our side?

Liam Duggan is a half back flanker. Are you confusing him with Liam Ryan? Duggan was trailed through the midfield without much success, but he’s a good baldness back flanker with a nice long kick. I see Ash as very similar. His low contested numbers worry me, and his midfield potential is unknown as he too struggled when playing there, but dominated off half back.

I’ve been pretty vocal on here that if I had the choice I’d pick Anderson. He looks to be the whole package. Tall prototype midfield, wins ball inside and outside, great run, great agility and evasive skills, great kicking skills, hits the scoreboard (regularly kicks 2-4 goals), and stands up in pressure situations like champion footballers do. 

Immediate future, either him and Kemp would suit us. Either could provide a forward option or attacking outside midfield option. Long term, Anderson is the pick of the bunch. He’s Bontempelli Mach 2!

2 hours ago, John Demonic said:

Assuming Anderson is taken at #1 and we have #2, Then If Rowell is a chance to become one of the best inside mids in the game within 4-7 years, and a solid contributor even in his first year, like Sam Walsh. Then isn't it worth picking him up and shipping off 1 of our current inside mids with currency to another club to trade in some outside pace wing/mids? Also assuming we've earmarked a couple of players already.

Rowell is a safe bet. I don’t think he’ll ever be a superstar or a top line inside midfielder. He’ll be Jacob Hopper level IMO. I would rather take other options that have a higher ceiling and suit our needs also. He’s the safest bet though, along with Serong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Liam Duggan is a half back flanker. Are you confusing him with Liam Ryan? Duggan was trailed through the midfield without much success, but he’s a good baldness back flanker with a nice long kick. I see Ash as very similar. His low contested numbers worry me, and his midfield potential is unknown as he too struggled when playing there, but dominated off half back.

I’ve been pretty vocal on here that if I had the choice I’d pick Anderson. He looks to be the whole package. Tall prototype midfield, wins ball inside and outside, great run, great agility and evasive skills, great kicking skills, hits the scoreboard (regularly kicks 2-4 goals), and stands up in pressure situations like champion footballers do. 

Immediate future, either him and Kemp would suit us. Either could provide a forward option or attacking outside midfield option. Long term, Anderson is the pick of the bunch. He’s Bontempelli Mach 2!

Rowell is a safe bet. I don’t think he’ll ever be a superstar or a top line inside midfielder. He’ll be Jacob Hopper level IMO. I would rather take other options that have a higher ceiling and suit our needs also. He’s the safest bet though, along with Serong.

yep, was thinking ryan when reading duggan

so what about the next options after rowell, anderson, and kemp?

Outside of Rowell, Anderson, Kemp, the other mooted too options are Serong, Ash, Young.

Serong was good as a small forward last year, then good playing midfield this year. He’s similar in play style and attributes to Robbie Gray and looks a safe prospect. He seems very driven which I like.

Ash I’ve spoken about. His pace is elite, his kicking long and short is elite, but he has really low contested number compared to all other potential high picks and that worries me. Historically players with low contested counts at lower level don’t make the grade at afl level.

Young is one that insiders say is climbing the rankings potentially as high as pick 2-3. He plays alongside Ash and they form a decent pairing. He’s just good at most parts of the game, though his pace is a level down from Ash’s. His long kicking is elite. His ability to move into midfield and play inside was decent, and in my mind that puts him ahead of Ash. 

Still hoping for Anderson!

• Like 3

I know it's been said that the top 2, Rowell & Anderson are locks, but is there a big difference between the guys who are currently ranked within the 3 - 10 bracket? If not, would it be worthwhile trading out pick 3 (if that's what we end up with) for either something like pick 6 Freo plus Langdon, or looking at GWS multiple first rounders plus Bonnar/Patton etc (helping their cause to get their academy kid and us extra picks/players)? Or is the draft one where we'd regret not taking player x at pick 3? 

17 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

It's for this reason that i suspect Gold Coast may take him.

It's precisely why Gold Coast will take him with pick 1 - he's a 9/10 chance of being a solid AFL midfielder. They need that high chance of success, even if it's not superstar level success.

If we are lucky/unlucky enough to wind up with pick 2, Noah Anderson is exactly what we need now and in the future. Snagging him would be the only positive for this awful season we've had!

More in the news today about Ed Langdon coming back to Victoria, with us leading the hunt. He'd be a good get to add run to our midfield if he didn't cost anything more than a second rounder.

• Like 1