Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The 2019 Draft and Trade Targets Thread

Nascent

Haven't read much of this thread and knowledge on mid season virtually nil....are we any chance of sharing Adam Tip or not even in the picture?

2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Haven't read much of this thread and knowledge on mid season virtually nil....are we any chance of sharing Adam Tip or not even in the picture?

Snaring* .. bloody word predictor ?

10 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

I was thinking about that when I read others were interested. We are definitely in need of a small forward with some excitement and spark, unless Garlett is able to recapture some of his old magic. 

• 1 month later...

With Tom McDonald injured for the year, it has become even more apparent that we are light on for genuine KPF's with only Weideman holding the fort and still developing. Tim Smith is sadly injury prone and already 28, with his ideal position as a 3rd tall. Preuss may provide another target while ruck relieving but he is not a long term solution to our forward line.  We have no other genuine AFL quality KPF's on our list.

Time for some stupid draft hypothesis that belong in fantasy land.

We should go hard for Jeremy Cameron. He is 26 and out of contract at the end of next year as a RFA. I believe I read somewhere here that Geelong have been in his ear and believe he's gettable. We should attempt to trump them this year with an offer of our 2019 1st as well as our 2020 1st rounder. In return we get Cameron and Essendon's first rounder they hold from their Shiel trade. Maybe a balance of swaps of second and third rounders to even it up.

In: Jeremy Cameron, Pick 9 (as the ladder stands)

Out: Pick 3 (as it stands), Future 1st.

Maybe we swap a future second for their third or something along those lines.

This gives them maximum compensation while giving us a first rounder that I believe we are required to use this year (unclear on the exact rules of that). It also enables them to take a player before a bid on Tom Green comes in which might be somewhat influential. 

Then we go hard for Coniglio as a free agent this year. Trade our current 2nd rounder for Langdon (yes, freo will want more) and pick up best available with pick 9.

Do I need to put down the pipe?

• Like 1

cameron is on close to $1.2m a year in a heavily back-ended contract, and it would be reasonable to expect that his post-2020 contract ain't gonna be much cheaper

i don't think we'd have the funds to get him in without jettisoning a fairly heavily-contracted player

most recent 'big' contracts at the club would be salem, t mac, and brayshaw, with viney presumably on decent coin too when he-contracted in, i think, mid-2017

while lewis will go at the end of this year, i still don't think we'd have the salary space to accommodate someone of cameron's wage

11 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

cameron is on close to $1.2m a year in a heavily back-ended contract, and it would be reasonable to expect that his post-2020 contract ain't gonna be much cheaper

i don't think we'd have the funds to get him in without jettisoning a fairly heavily-contracted player

most recent 'big' contracts at the club would be salem, t mac, and brayshaw, with viney presumably on decent coin too when he-contracted in, i think, mid-2017

while lewis will go at the end of this year, i still don't think we'd have the salary space to accommodate someone of cameron's wage

Petracca and our first pick for next year would make me a very happy camper.

Or even Petracca and a first round pick swap this year.

Yes, I'm serious.

• Shocked 1

5 hours ago, faultydet said:

Petracca and our first pick for next year would make me a very happy camper.

Or even Petracca and a first round pick swap this year.

Yes, I'm serious.

We are the worst team for ground balls inside 50, Petracca is top of the comp for winning ground balls inside 50.

You don't trade out players that are helping in our weakest areas.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

We are the worst team for ground balls inside 50, Petracca is top of the comp for winning ground balls inside 50.

You don't trade out players that are helping in our weakest areas.

That's right, and bringing in cameron, who is below average in applying pressure in the fwd line, wouldn't help us much with another of our weakest areas either.

34 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

there's no way i'd want to lose petracca, personally

one of few players who has got better in this horrid year

Agreed. The last two months or so he’s been a lot better, I think his averages have been about 20 ish touches and a goal? I don’t want to trade him and see him become a star somewhere else, after the year we’ve had that would be pretty upsetting

• Like 1

We can’t do much with TMAC this year, but he should be available and fully fit next year, and still be our #1 forward option.  Weid *should* continue developing, so I think on balance we should not throw the kitchen sink at tall KPFs.  We need to add really smart (footy smart) small forward, develop a replacement for Nev as he gets on, and also add silk to the mid field (maybe Dunkley will evolve into this?).  We should be set up with our intercept and KPD’s, and potentially add a low cost 3rd KPF (Kielty and Bull Smith are it at the moment).  DOn’t forget that Bradtke is a longer term development option here too.  A big puppy ATM, but looks good when he has the ball, and shows plenty of go.

So I’m as big NO to spending big bucks or draft picks on KPFs.  If one drops in our laps, then great.  Our problems are different, and I think picking up some quality at the draft could be very useful this year.

• Like 1

I doubt we're any chance for Cameron, GWS cleared a fair bit off their books last year (Shiel, Lobb & Scully) so they have room for him and Cogs. 

However, I put in another thread that I'd be looking at trying to get involved with GWS at the trade table. They have pick 9 & 13 as it stands at the moment, but I think there pick will end up high. They have an academy kid who might get a top 5 bid. So if we could leverage that and say swap pick 3 & 25 for picks 9 & 16, plus Patton and Bonnar or Langdon, then I think we'd do well. We keep a reasonable first round pick plus get a tall marking forward and add ready to play player/s who are decent depth at worse. GWS keep a high pick plus get their academy kid, while removing more salary off their books.

In the end it'd be out: Picks 3 & 25 for picks 9 & 16 (projecting out), Patton & Bonnar. 

I've been trying to build a 22 that could make a move for top 4 in 2020. There’s a little bit of my own flare on it, most notable is Salem into the centre as a new prime mover. We're screaming out for class ball use in the middle and we already have it! I'm also aware there are some who doubt that we can play May, Lever, Hore and Frost all together. I'll bank on Frost's ability to play on speedy smalls as well as talls.

As it is I think we have:
FB:  Jetta May Frost        (int)
HB:  Hore Lever ____       | Hibb
----------------------------
Fl:  Gawn Olivr Harmes   | Gus
C :  ____ Salm Frit             | Viney
----------------------------
HF:  Trac TMac Melk       | ____  (fwd/mid)
FF:  ____ Weid Hann

Depth is an interesting mix with some players in more than 1 list capable in multiple roles. Wouldn't want more than 5 or 6 of these in the team before we start having a big drop in output. As evidenced by 2019

Def Depth:  Petty, JWag, Omac, Hunt, Jones, KK*, JSmith*

Mid Depth: Baker, Jones, Pruess, KK, AVB*, ANB, Dunkley, Sparrow

Fwd Depth:  Lockhart, Hunt, AVB, ANB, Dunkley, Spargo, TSmith, JSmith, CWag

Delist/Retire: Lewis, JKH, Keilty, Maynard, Stretch, Garlett

Ongoing Development: Bedford, Chandler, Jordan, Bradtke, Walker, Nietschke

*Horribly unreliable fitness records means these potentially quality players were ruled out of my 22.

What we are missing:

Defender: Preferably with a good 2 way runner to help us spread from the back half quickly. The obvious player that has been discussed is Ed Langdon. He would be a handy inclusion.

Wing/Outside Mid: Baker has shown a bit in this role and given the unlikely nature of us being able to trade for anyone it is likely we'll need to hope he steps up. Brad Hill would be my target if he does go for a move home but I have no idea how we could get that deal done. Maybe bundle him up with Langdon and Freos first (8-12) for our first(3-5) and our 2019 first would be a risk but maybe worth taking

Small Forward: And I mean a real one! Not a midfielder or a defender who we throw forward and hope will compete. ANB, AVB, Hunt. These guys aren’t a big enough threat to the opposition ball in hand. I have mentioned Petruccelle in the past but it's unlikely WC would deal him. Richmond has a small army of forwards to look at but I'm not sure who is gettable and would suit us perhaps Bolton or Butler but I worry a little that they'd struggle away from Richmond.

Fwd/Mid: Someone who is a threat on the scoreboard but can also move right up the ground and help out the mids. Lockhart has been good since coming on board but like Baker is still very inexperienced to be relied upon. When they are the 21st/22nd best players we're ok but this year they have been the 15/16th best players with all our outs and that’s too much to expect. Jack Martin is the one for me, I can’t ever imagining a deal getting done, Suns would want a first round pick which we wouldn’t have left to give.

The Elephant in the room:  I can’t post this without at least discussing the KPF. In my 22 I have Tom and Sam as our Keys. Many here are insistent that a better KPF should be priority 1. While you'd have to be stupid to not think there better options than these 2 out there, I think that for the most part those options are too expensive for the limited gain we would get. Spending the farm on Cameron or Brown might mean that 1 player kicks more goals, but our list would still be horribly unbalanced. What I would do is look into potential 19-22yo KPF in the lower level and try draft one with our 2nd/3rd pick, but good luck nailing that.

The Dream Wish list: Ed Langdon, Brad Hill, Jack Petruccelle, Jack Martin. Of course getting all them is wildly unrealistic and the keen eyed would have noticed that even if those 4 came in we would need at least 1 more to go out of our list before the draft and I haven't really considered the salary cap at all. But I'm interested as to how others would go about filling those holes in our list. Wow this is much, much longer than I anticipated, better add a tl;dr.

TL;DR
We need a Defender (E. Langdon), a wingman (B. Hill), A small forward (J. Petruccelle) and a fwd/mid (J. Martin).  Will never happen but that would be awesome thanks ? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

@ArtificialWisdom, i wonder - would you take steve hill as a free agent over brad hill as a trade?

sam day will also be a free agent this year, and his body is holding up (at the moment) if we were to look to get some extra depth in kpf stocks

Potentially but Steve will be 30 next year. If we're keen to back in the likes of Baker to develop then he could be a good option to hold us over until Baker is ready to be the man. But if the suns offer him 3 or maybe even 4 years at more money as a FA it would be hard for us to match

I do like this type of KPF deal. There's only up side in Day as a free agent. A few years as reasonable price would be a good ready made player 

In or local paper they had an article on a player from the Calder Cannons, Harry Jones.

His 194cm key forward

Likened to Nick Riewoldt

' Harry moves really well, good runner for his size,likes to launch at the ball, so as a key position prospect he's certainly one to keep an eye on.

Also says he has an enormous work rate and the GPS figures say it's certainly a strength of Harry's.

Definitely have Ed Langdon in the frame.  But his cost rises each week and we need to use a 1st rounder this year. 

Dan Butler is another who seems better at AFL level than VFL.  Has the grunt and goal sense we need. Swap for a 4th round or as a delisted free agent  

Rough chance that we might have a crack at Nakia Cockatoo.  He fits us perfectly.  Injured a lot!!! But Cats will have cap$$ issues so he might be gettable if we give up a 3rd round pick. (Pick around 42-45). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Definitely have Ed Langdon in the frame.  But his cost rises each week and we need to use a 1st rounder this year. 

Dan Butler is another who seems better at AFL level than VFL.  Has the grunt and goal sense we need. Swap for a 4th round or as a delisted free agent  

Rough chance that we might have a crack at Nakia Cockatoo.  He fits us perfectly.  Injured a lot!!! But Cats will have cap$$ issues so he might be gettable if we give up a 3rd round pick. (Pick around 42-45). 

if we picked up these guys and a top 5 pick without losing anyone of substance, i'd be reasonably happy. potentially 3 runners (at least two, three if nakia gets fit) and a top level kid who'll hopefully be almost ready to go. get rid of some more dead wood and pick up a sam day/cheap forward for depth and we could build again.

Edited by Rocky

First (likely around pick 2-4) and 4th rounders for Langdon and Freo's first pick (likely somewhere around 8-10).

Second rounder for McDonald-Tipungwuti.

Stephen Hill as a free agent.

Josh Jenkins as a free agent.

Thoughts on that as a realistic offseason?

(NB - Trying to be actually realistic here)

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

First (likely around pick 2-4) and 4th rounders for Langdon and Freo's first pick (likely somewhere around 8-10).

Second rounder for McDonald-Tipungwuti.

Stephen Hill as a free agent.

Josh Jenkins as a free agent.

Thoughts on that as a realistic offseason?

(NB - Trying to be actually realistic here)

I do not rate Jenkins and he would not come cheap in terms of salary, would rather pick up Casboult as a free agent to smash packs and provide a marking target and allow Weid to play as a leading target

Edited by Pennant St Dee