Top 10 under 23 - The Young Guns

Demon_JB

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-27/top10-under-23-we-rank-the-young-guns

Ben Guthrie rates his top 10 under 23 years of age. We have 3 players that feature in this (4) Hogan (6) Petracca (8) Lever. Surprisingly no Oliver, however, if you think about the list we have and the talent that is under the age of 23, it's going to be amazing just imagining what our team will be capable of when the main core are all 25-26 and used to playing with each other and the chemistry and bond they will all form. 

• Love 1

With Hogan @#4, Petracca @ #6 and Lever @ #8 we are well represented. 

I would leave out Curnow - he will be a star but hasn't done enough yet to be included with the rest of the top 10.  I would like to leave out Merrett because I don't like Ess but he is pretty good and deserves to be there.

But it is a fair top 10. Guthrie does say Oliver is hard done by to not be included and I reckon he is well ahead of the other 'hard done by' players (Andrew McGrath, Darcy Moore and Jack Billings).

So to have 4 of say the top 12 is sensational.  Can't wait till it all clicks for us! 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

8 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

No Oliver is just ridiculous.  

He'll be borderline top ten in the league at the end of the year, let alone top 10 under 23.

• Like 1

Laughable to not include Oliver. Already won a best and fairest and is a top 5 in the league ball winner. He should comfortably be near the top of this list.

• Like 1

Oliver needs to round out his game with more kicking. He's a good kick and overhead mark. Can't be on his knees shooting out handballs for the next 10 years. I saw him move forward a number of times during the Geelong game, perhaps dragging opponent out of their comfort zone. More goals would also round out his game further 

Edited by Moonshadow

16 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

My list would be:

1. Cripps
  2. Bontempelli
  3. Oliver
  4. Kelly
  5. Heeney
  6. Merrett
  7. Crouch
  8. Petracca
  9. Curnow
  10. Hogan

Curnow shouldn't be on the list.

He's judged on what he will be and not what he's done, which is minimal.  Prior to Thursday night he'd never kicked more than 2 goals in a game.  I know he plays more of a utility role often, but he's overhyped on his present output.

• Like 4

Oliver not being in that list is criminal.

18 clubs in the league, Carlton are represented twice (I, like most, am debating Curnow's inclusion) and us thrice.

While I understand @Fork 'em pessimism, I think this song definitely has a different tune.  Not sure if we'll be the headline act this season, but we're bloody close.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, juzzk1d said:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-27/top10-under-23-we-rank-the-young-guns

Ben Guthrie rates his top 10 under 23 years of age. We have 3 players that feature in this (4) Hogan (6) Petracca (8) Lever. Surprisingly no Oliver, however, if you think about the list we have and the talent that is under the age of 23, it's going to be amazing just imagining what our team will be capable of when the main core are all 25-26 and used to playing with each other and the chemistry and bond they will all form. 

Ben Guthrie, What are you thinking! Oliver is a B&F , a ball magnate and unlucky not to be selected in the AA final team. Now the U23s top 10 ??? JOKE? Yeah.. Curnow  wait turn, you have not proved yourself. Maybe in the future.

Curnow had a heap of hype last year and coming into this season. He’s a very hyped player and I think the ranking isn’t on the 5 goals, it’s on his hype preceding it. I say this because I assume the article was written weeks ago and just edited before it was put up today. It’s the next stage in their ‘ranking’ series  

Oliver suprising but wait another 12 months and it will be different. I think you’ll see Bont drop, Billings, Oliver and McGrath move into that list and Lever, Crouch and Curnow to drop out (no offence to Lever it’s just defenders don’t make lists)  

18 minutes ago, nosoupforme said:

Ben Guthrie, What are you thinking! Oliver is a B&F , a ball magnate and unlucky not to be selected in the AA final team. Now the U23s top 10 ??? JOKE? Yeah.. Curnow  wait turn, you have not proved yourself. Maybe in the future.

A wonderfully accurate expression

• Like 2

Hogan is deserving and underrated by many of his own fans.

You can see what's happened here.  He knows Oliver should be in it, but he thought there's no way I can have 4 Melbourne players.  Oliver isn't universally popular, so he made way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Hogan is deserving and underrated by many of his own fans.

You can see what's happened here.  He knows Oliver should be in it, but he thought there's no way I can have 4 Melbourne players.  Oliver isn't universally popular, so he made way.

I love that Oliver is not popular, because he is a little ar*sehole. It is what makes him an even better player. It might cost him a well deserved Brownlow one day, but gees he's just a gem! 

Hogan is probably forgotten because he had a terrible season last year for obvious reasons. Once McDonald is back in the team, I really think we will see the best of Hogan again. Allowing him to roam further up field is where he excels. That long goal around the body running onto the footy on the weekend, was exactly how Hogan needs to play, and will play, once we get another decent marking option down forward. 

43 minutes ago, Win4theAges said:

Zac Merritt and Curnow before Clayton Oliver, tell them there dreaming. We have 4 in the top 10 not just 3 please.

Zach Merrett is an absolute gun and deserves to be there.  Curnow, however, does not.

Oliver missing out is a joke.

• Like 1