Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:     

Farewell Jack Watts


PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.


Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, nosoupforme said:

Yes we move on without JW and pick no 31 and paying some of his salary and as Mahoney had said several times he can stay. He could have told the TRUTH.... We don't want you [censored] OFF! but no, BS to the supporters. Nice to be HONEST ONCE IN YOUR LIFETIME.

Anyway JW critics got what they were after.  I hope it falls flat on GOODWINS  2 FACES ?????? BAG ME IF YOU WANT.

You would rather the club suffer just so you can say "Goodwin was wrong" and rub it in his face? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, goodwindees said:

Can't believe that anyone would be STUPID enough to think that Port would be in a position to bring anyone into their Club today on $500k  for the next 2 years.  FCS, have look at their list and who they've brought in this week. 

I texted SEN/David Schwartz during the Mahoney interview to make sure they asked Mahoney about how much Dees were paying of Watts' salary and Mahoney after a pause was VERY shifty & misleading. 

Can't believe Mahoney said that it would need to be worked out with his Manager.  It's got nothing to do with Paul Connors, it was agreed to with Cripps of PA that we are paying 40% for next 2 years  

Botom line is Dees are paying $200,000 per season for next 2 years. 

This is a statement trade by Dees but handled very poorly. 

I think if you wanted to write how to stuff up a trade/negotiation, look no further than the Dees & Bulldogs in 2017. 

Source?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


22 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

His preparation effects his infield performance. His 18 months prior to injury may have been "good" but it wasn't "great". 

DG , sorry but I need gumboots and a shovel.  2016 Watts was 5th in a Demons B&F with 38 goals and was 6th in 2017 B&F before injury. Last 2 years showed its mids that get the votes but Wattsy stood up. Watch his efforts v blues v cats v Tigers v Magpies v Bombers. Kicked crucial goals and for 5 weeks he Carried the ruck in Gawns absence. 

Was it training standards or consistency or performance?  Watts was very very good for 18 months.  Fact.  His skill and class won us games.  Clearly his injury and form suffered. 

History will judge the decision.  

Edited by spirit of norm smith
X
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You would rather the club suffer just so you can say "Goodwin was wrong" and rub it in his face? 

My opinion, Its not going to happen on my say so.

I don"t want the club to suffer, l hope he feels the heat of disgruntled supporters.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, demoniac said:

Source?

And if that is the case we are a laughing stocks once again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

DG , sorry but I need gumboots and a shovel.  2016 Watts was 5th in a Demons B&F with 38 goals and was 6th in 2017 B&F before injury. Last 2 years showed its mids that get the votes but Wattsy stood up. Watch his efforts v blues v cats v Tigers v Magpies v Bombers. Kicked crucial goals and for 5 weeks he Carried the ruck in Gawns absence. 

Was it training standards or consistency or performance?  Watts was very very good for 18 months.  Fact.  His skill and class won us games.  Clearly his injury and form suffered. 

History will judge the decision.  

I hear what you're saying, but even in those games where he played well he was in and out of games, inconsistent from quarter to quarter. In today's footy it doesn't matter if you look good when you have the ball 15 times a game. That 15 times you have the ball may equate to 1 minute of game time. It's what you're doing for the other 119 minutes that counts. And Jack was still too inconsistent within and across games.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the merits if the decision but I for one am looking forward to what 2018 is going to bring. I'm looking forward to playing in September again and celebrating that elusive flag. I'm excited to see how Oliver progresses, how Petracca, Hunt and Salem progress, I'm looking forward to seeing Hogan, Gawn and Brayshaw back out on the park for solid seasons. And what Lever will bring to our defence and TMac to our forward line. I hope everyone else is too and not just waiting for us to trip at the first hurdle so they can start pouring heat on Goodwin die to resentment over this decision.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Leadership Group.

A much vaulted ensemble.

Funny ive seen very little that resembles leadership out on the grounds during games, cameos here and there. Granted, injury has had its toll but please fellow Dlanders come up with something better than this 'mob' expects X Y and Z for if that the case it's more about vacuous words than actions. Maybe this illustrious group have exemption 'til qtr time ? 

Maybe those among them so wonderful ought cast the first stones . Oh...they have...dbl standards reign well at Melbourne i see.

The narrative out of the FD about Jack especially over the last two years has changed more than our weather. Maybe not the narrative rolled out for public consumption but to the players .

What the FD do is up to them. How they explain it is also up to them. Ultimately the age old barometer will judge them.

I remind the many that the first language of this game is lies. Still, so many take so much at face value.

Two things to note. Scoreboards seldom speak falsehoods. Football departments know little else when communicating with non footy folk ( publicly) 

I get that we want this club to succeed. I certainly do. Doesn't mean ill swallow hook line and sinker the rubbish coming out of AAMI park.

Why do so many question and disbelieve orher clubs yet readily drink our Koolaid ? Is it just because its ours ? 

Theres loyalty to a clubs history, ambition and jumper. There's also blind stupidity .

I love this club. The current staff are just that. They don't own it even if some think otherwise.

2018 will be graded harshly if we don't feature significantly at the pointy end.

I wonder who'll next theyll cart out for crucifixion.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Jack has been made the scapegoat for clubwide failings.  Getting rid of him is only going to make the onfield failures more pronounced as our poor skills hurt us over and over again.  Goodwin could have faced up to the failure of his coaching staff and flawed gameplan.  Instead he chose to crucify an easy target among the playing group.  Who will he blame next year when the same [censored] happens all over again? 

1 hour ago, dl4e said:

It is simple. The footy club wanted him gone. Nothing more nothing less. Why I don't know. As big of a mistake that supporters feel it could be a coup. Who knows.

No, the club wanted to keep him.  Look at the poll results.  Look at the footage from the B&F and listen to the roar every time his name was mentioned.  THE CLUB love Jack and wanted him to play out his career with us.  Unfortunately the COACH decided to make him a scapegoat and traded him out for peanuts after rubbishing him in the press. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I hear what you're saying, but even in those games where he played well he was in and out of games, inconsistent from quarter to quarter. In today's footy it doesn't matter if you look good when you have the ball 15 times a game. That 15 times you have the ball may equate to 1 minute of game time. It's what you're doing for the other 119 minutes that counts. And Jack was still too inconsistent within and across games.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the merits if the decision but I for one am looking forward to what 2018 is going to bring. I'm looking forward to playing in September again and celebrating that elusive flag. I'm excited to see how Oliver progresses, how Petracca, Hunt and Salem progress, I'm looking forward to seeing Hogan, Gawn and Brayshaw back out on the park for solid seasons. And what Lever will bring to our defence and TMac to our forward line. I hope everyone else is too and not just waiting for us to trip at the first hurdle so they can start pouring heat on Goodwin die to resentment over this decision.

YOUR A DREAMER. DR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Beetle said:

Can someone else please post all players taken at pick at pick 31 in recent drafts for me to analyse in detail? I feel this has a major bearing on this trade. Thanks in advance.

Ok, I'll bite. Even though I'm pretty sure you're speaking tongue in cheek. Hmm, biting tongue in cheek sounds problematic, nto sure I know you well enough for that. Anyway, here goes -

Year : player at 31 : prominent players taken soon after.

2016: Joshua Begley (Ess)... um... Tom Stewart (Geel, 40), Mitch Hannan (Melb, 46)

2015: Ryan Clark (Nth), Marcus Adams (Dogs, 35), Rhys Mathieson (Bris 39)

2014: Daniel Howe (Haw), Connor Menadue (Rich 33), Connor Blakely (Freo, 34), Alex Neal-Bullen (Melb, 40)

2013: Malcolm Karpany (WC), George Hewitt (Syd 32), Tom Cutler (Bris 33) Nick Robertson (Bris 34), Toby Nankervis (syd 35)

2012: Kamdyn Mcintosh (Rich), Ben Jacobs (Nth, 37, second drafting!)

 

Overall it seems about 1 in 4 players at that range actually stay at AFL level. On the other hand, Melbourne's own recent record in the sub-prime draft market is better than most. Maybe pick 31 will serve to guarantee a player we have our eye on, or whatever.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Little Goffy said:

Ok, I'll bite. Even though I'm pretty sure you're speaking tongue in cheek. Hmm, biting tongue in cheek sounds problematic, nto sure I know you well enough for that. Anyway, here goes -

Year : player at 31 : prominent players taken soon after.

2016: Joshua Begley (Ess)... um... Tom Stewart (Geel, 40), Mitch Hannan (Melb, 46)

2015: Ryan Clark (Nth), Marcus Adams (Dogs, 35), Rhys Mathieson (Bris 39)

2014: Daniel Howe (Haw), Connor Menadue (Rich 33), Connor Blakely (Freo, 34), Alex Neal-Bullen (Melb, 40)

2013: Malcolm Karpany (WC), George Hewitt (Syd 32), Tom Cutler (Bris 33) Nick Robertson (Bris 34), Toby Nankervis (syd 35)

2012: Kamdyn Mcintosh (Rich), Ben Jacobs (Nth, 37, second drafting!)

 

Overall it seems about 1 in 4 players at that range actually stay at AFL level. On the other hand, Melbourne's own recent record in the sub-prime draft market is better than most. Maybe pick 31 will serve to guarantee a player we have our eye on, or whatever.

 

I'm actually very sorry I wasted your time...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

“It is a really important stage where Jack is at as an experienced player at the footy club with the amount of games he has played, with such a young list, he has a big influence on our young players. That’s what comes with being an experienced player ... he is very clear on our expectations about him.

“We don’t want to be having these discussions with Jack Watts after nine years. We want him to be the player he should be and that’s where these discussions have got to.”

It all just seems too straight-foward and reasonable as an explanation though. I'd prefer to slash my wrists with Occam's razor than believe anything lacking in the appropriate outlandishness as that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure if anyone has seen this or has been posted already, apologies if so

This was posted on the Port YouTube channel tonight - fairly standard video however the middle minute is a compilation of Jack's tackling and pressure.

1. This is clearly a (not so) subtle dig

2. I guarantee that if the MFC were make a similar video it would be full of Jack's outside run and deft touch goal kicking

Either way, it's food for thought. They obviously see something in him we don't. 

Go well Wattsy.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Skuit said:

I have a fairly good idea that anyone wishing a trade backfires on the coach of the Melbourne Football Club is not a supporter of the Melbourne Football Club.

Farewell No Soup.

Not just "no soup" either.......

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


38 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Jack has been made the scapegoat for clubwide failings.  Getting rid of him is only going to make the onfield failures more pronounced as our poor skills hurt us over and over again.  Goodwin could have faced up to the failure of his coaching staff and flawed gameplan.  Instead he chose to crucify an easy target among the playing group.  Who will he blame next year when the same [censored] happens all over again? 

No, the club wanted to keep him.  Look at the poll results.  Look at the footage from the B&F and listen to the roar every time his name was mentioned.  THE CLUB love Jack and wanted him to play out his career with us.  Unfortunately the COACH decided to make him a scapegoat and traded him out for peanuts after rubbishing him in the press. 

Settle down big boy - Jack unfortunately was not part of our future and could not fit into the game plan. 

There is a much bigger picture here, much you wont see for another 12 months its on-wards and upwards from here. 

However, much as it hurts to lose Wattsey. The future is very bright, embrace it - its time to let go of the past and stopping trying to blame person x or y. 

Edited by DaveyDee
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DaveyDee said:

Settle down big boy - Jack unfortunately was not part of our future and could not fit into the game plan. 

There is a much bigger picture here, much you wont see for another 12 months its on-wards and upwards from here. 

However, much it hurts to lose  Wattsey. The future is very bright, embrace it - its time to let go of the past and stopping trying to blame person x or y. 

I don't see a bright future.  I see a coach who either refuses to acknowledge the real weaknesses in his side or is unaware of them.  I'm not sure which is more damning. 

You can not succeed at football if you can't kick.  As long as we persist in playing a side of hard-nosed butchers we will fail. 

You can not win games if you have no plan to score goals.  As long as we persist with the high bomb to the "hot spot" we will fail. 

I've seen nothing to indicate that the Coaching department are aware of the issues with our ball movement.  They made no move to rectify the problem during the season and appear to be genuinely bewildered when our opponents take clean possession off our F50 entries and score from them.  Furthermore, they have just traded away the ONLY player on our list who has shown himself capable of consistently hitting forward targets. 

 

12 minutes ago, the rolling fog said:

 

That is a great package. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

I don't see a bright future.  I see a coach who either refuses to acknowledge the real weaknesses in his side or is unaware of them.  I'm not sure which is more damning. 

You can not succeed at football if you can't kick.  As long as we persist in playing a side of hard-nosed butchers we will fail. 

You can not win games if you have no plan to score goals.  As long as we persist with the high bomb to the "hot spot" we will fail. 

I've seen nothing to indicate that the Coaching department are aware of the issues with our ball movement.  They made no move to rectify the problem during the season and appear to be genuinely bewildered when our opponents take clean possession off our F50 entries and score from them.  Furthermore, they have just traded away the ONLY player on our list who has shown himself capable of consistently hitting forward targets. 

 

That is a great package. 

I'm confident you will see a further evolution of the game plan and standards that need to be met in the 2018 season. 

Again, I appreciate it hurts, we are all hurting but we need to move forward together as a united unit. 

Jack is no longer a Demon, lets wish him well and embrace the positive times ahead. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watts was on borrowed time as it stands, unless he found his 2016 form he would have spent more and more time in the 2nds. With Lever coming in, Tmac going fwd and Pedersen and Weideman playing the 3rd tall he would not have had a spot. Better to get something for him now than nothing in a year or 2

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All the best Jack. Most of us who know something about football are going to miss your creativity, sublime skills and your on field presence. You are always one of the first to run in and congratulate a teammate for a goal, great play etc. Sadly, I can see the MFC struggling next season just as I thought we were on the up. 

I will always treasure your gut running to score the sealer against the magpies and that sizzling 50 metre pass to Dom Tyson to secure victory against Hawthorn last year. Just a couple of highlights out of many.

SO, THE AXE DEPARTMENT at the MFC is still at it. Great players and club members like Green, McDonald, Bruce, Johnstone, Robbo and now you given their marching orders. Will they ever learn?

Jack, good luck at Port and I sincerely hope you will as Teddy Whitten said, " STICK IT UP THEM! " ( Badloss and Mahoney). I will be barracking for the Demons of course when they play Port but I really hope you star against us. Make Badloss and Mahoney squirm. Go Jack go and we hope to see you back at the club in some capacity in a few years time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    BLUE VIBE AT IKON by Meggs

    It was such a nice vibe at Ikon on Friday night.     Princes Park looked in excellent condition, a relaxed but modest crowd and President Kate Roffey and CEO Gary Pert in attendance, greeting fans and shaking hands.     It was an evening with little to complain about for Dees supporters, save for some drizzling rain, a few missed scoring opportunities and the fact that the Dees as raging favourites duly took the four points.   Carlton was always going to struggle to cover

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BLUES AWAY by Meggs

    This Round 5 clash against the Blues at Princes Park (officially known as Ikon Park) is a great chance for the Dees to bounce back to the winning circle following our top-of-the-table loss to Brisbane last week.     Carlton will be missing several key players with the pundits calling 10 to nil.  Raging favouritism is never a comfortable thing for Melbourne supporters but we simply must deliver on Friday night.   History has seen these teams play four times since 2017 with the Dee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LIONS POUNCE by Meggs

    Early Sunday afternoon Meggs was coffeeing in Mornington and witnessing hail, thunder, lightning, rain, wind and feeling the freezing temperatures and knowing all these elements were heading towards Casey Fields.  Oh dear.  The Brisbane coach had said during the week that he wanted the game moved to Marvel because “if you're going to have two of the better teams in the comp playing, (it warrants) a venue and deck that suits the occasion”.  However, Casey Fields was uncharacteristi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RAINING PREMIERS by KC from Casey

    If the threatening dark grey skies that loomed above Ikon Park before the VFL Grand Final didn’t provide a sufficiently inhospitable reception for our visitors from sunny Queensland, the rains that bucketed down after quarter time certainly did. For years, the Casey Demons have welcomed opposing teams at their home fortress with rain, hail, wind and frosty conditions and it was just Southport’s luck that they met those conditions head on in the VFL’s big dance. They suited Casey’s skillful

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PRIDE OF VICTORIA by KC from Casey

    When Casey Demons coach Mark Corrigan talks about his charges putting their “best foot forward” on Sunday when they take on the Southport Sharks in the 2022 VFL Grand Final, it’s a signal that his team is on a mission not only for themselves but in  the name of their forebears, the Springvale Scorpions, and indeed for the pride and honour of the entire State of Victoria. The VFL club now known as the Casey Demons last won a premiership flag under the name of the Springvale Scorpions but tha

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NARRM AT HOME by Meggs

    For the fourth consecutive week, and the second week as the mighty Narrm, we take on a Top 8 team. Could this match be a preview of the Season 7 Grand Final?   Our opponents this week, Brisbane, stand undefeated atop the AFLW ladder after slaying the struggling Freo, and the unrated Giants and Gold Coast.  After amassing 225 points for and only 56 against, for a percentage of 401.8%, the pundits are claiming the Lions have the best attack the competition has ever seen.   Brisbane

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CHANGES 2022 by The Oracle

    Part 1: The year we stood still (or did we?).  Premiership coach David Parkin who  coincidentally turned 80 yesterday, famously used to say that even a premiership team needs to bring at least five new players into the fold in order to advance from year to year and therefore, if this adage remains true, then the Melbourne Football Club really did stand still in 2022.  Of the players recruited after the club’s premiership in September, 2021, only Luke Dunstan (5 games) managed to provid

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    NARRM BLITZES EARLY by Meggs

    The last time we played the Saints, Pride Round 3 January 2022, it was an arm wrestle for 3 quarters and a Demons highlights package for 1 quarter. Oddly familiar was our outing to Moorabbin on Sunday, except this week we are Narrm and it’s Indigenous Round.   Our highlights package was contained to a first quarter onslaught. Superior work at stoppages and our mids dominant.  We showcased our run and carry and our dynamic forward line.  With Hore, Zanker twice, Bannan, Fitzsimon and Paxy al

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE CASEY SHOW by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons will play in the VFL Grand Final at Ikon Park next Sunday after overturning their final round loss to the Brisbane Lions Reserves and dominating the Preliminary Final to emerge victorious by 51 points.  And while the distance in standards between the AFL and VFL at finals time is admittedly a wide one and the opposition and conditions different, there were a few Demons on display who excelled to the point where one was left to ask whether they could have made the difference

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...