Farewell Jack Watts

PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I don't answer stupid questions.

I wish this thread did not exist and Watts was staying, only time will tell but I think we are making a BIG mistake. but then again "I lknow nuuthhiing"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

And the earth is flat !!!!

It might be around Swan St 

On 10/9/2017 at 11:38 PM, thevil1 said:

No, he was 6th after 13 rounds & it took a few for him to get over run by more consistent performers, including players who also missed matches.

And it probably would've been higher had he had a better pre season.

Maybe , he would have finished higher with a better preseason however he might have come back a bit quicker from his hammy.  JW was on the sidelines for a good 4 to 5 weeks.

27 minutes ago, Sargent Shultz said:

I wish this thread did not exist and Watts was staying, only time will tell but I think we are making a BIG mistake. but then again "I lknow nuuthhiing"

You know more than many would of JW  nuff  nuff  abusive critics. He is a chance to stay as he hasn't let yet. I as many others hope he does stay. 

2 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Hypothetical really 

I understand, we all have opinions.

14 minutes ago, --coach-- said:

Only 23 pages to go until 186!!

can the mods please shut this thread down once we do?

Did a quick calculation using the search feature and if all the Jack Watts threads were merged,  we'd be sitting on 760 pages (or thereabouts) or ... about 19,000 posts.

We're rivaling Tolstoy.  In more ways than one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I have had mail today from a reliable source on the situation.. 

Watts was initially told some hard truths in his exit meeting, which he did not agree with. The club (which we know) asked him to explore his options if he was not willing to change his habits. Watts was filthy initially but has not nominated a club of choice because he’s not sure he wants to go.

The club is now believing he is a 60/40 chance to stay. If he does go, it won’t be for nothing. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Die Hard Demon said:

Watts was initially told some hard truths in his exit meeting, which he did not agree with. The club (which we know) asked him to explore his options if he was not willing to change his habits. Watts was filthy initially but has not nominated a club of choice because he’s not sure he wants to go.

The club is now believing he is a 60/40 chance to stay. If he does go, it won’t be for nothing. 

Now this makes sense.

I don't know how good your mail is but this is plausible because it means the club didn't initially want to trade him and that desire was instigated at his reaction to a negative exit interview that stopped short of telling him he was going to be traded.

I just cannot imagine - if the club had decided he had to go since 'The Bondi Trip' - that he wouldn't be told at his exit interview.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sargent Shultz said:

sure for every 1 you can name ill show you another that was a dud.

The point is its a raffle versus a known 150 game player that we will need in the next few years as we move into the finals

Or those shocking second and third rounders like

Fevola

Ablett Jnr

Boomer

Michael Braun

Neville Jetta

Sloane

Enright

Montagna

Sam Mitchell

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Die Hard Demon said:

This sounds much more likely. I hope what you said re the exit interview is true because it puts everything in a whole new light.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Die Hard Demon said:

Load of rubbish. Sounds like someone's rewriting recent history for mine.

Mark my word...the club is playing everyone for fools. God help us.

1 minute ago, chook fowler said:

This sounds much more likely. I hope what you said re the exit interview is true because it puts everything in a whole new light.

From all reports Goodwin is an excellent manager of men...so it was hard to believe the previous accounts. I think its a win win now. If he goes we get well compensated hopefully but if he stays he gets where he's at in his career maybe for the first time and we reap teh benefits of that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Or those shocking second and third rounders like

Fevola

Ablett Jnr

Boomer

Michael Braun

Neville Jetta

Sloane

Enright

Montagna

Sam Mitchell

Goodes pick 43

Chapman 35

Black 31

Hird 64

Grant 106

There's a stack more.

Another way of looking at is that about half of all picks are busts. 

And half of all 1st round draft picks are busts in terms of expectations.

I'd argue that the value of any pick could be halved - if we work on the results of drafting from a historical point of view. 

But we're fans and we're wired with hope,  faith,  dreams and questionable belief systems.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ProDee said:

Back Taylor to pick a quality player at 29 or keep a culture killer ?

I'll back Goody.

They have reasons for wanting to move Watts on.  No guarantees with the pick, but I'll back the reasons behind it.

Yes it is weird that the Club thought highly enough of Jack to give him a 3 year contract on good money one year but considers him a culture killer the next. They have obviously lost patience with him, and fair enough, but culture killer? Didn’t you say a while back that you would be happy for him to stay?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Die Hard Demon said:

I believe this... Sounds very likely how it unfolded.

Most plausible mail posted yet. Thanks for sharing DHD.

21 hours ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

The brains trust in the midfield  are in a big minority on this topic. They cannot see what's happening here. Tell me this, How is getting an untried low draft pick going to take the place of an experienced and skilled footballer going to move us up the ladder? Even if he was a potential star he ,as a 17 year old,  won't be much use to us next year. It all takes time and we don't have that luxury. So how can anyone say we will improve next season?

Well, I suppose the likes of Viney, Petracca, Oliver, Hunt, and ???, will be our future of hard nuts under fire.

And watts his name will be but a distant memoir.

25 minutes ago, Die Hard Demon said:

You said he was going to Port a few hours ago.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rolly said:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-11/trade-wrap-rivals-set-to-swoop-on-smith

article says we will accept pick 29 for Watts

Does not seem like enough

Those two lines are unfortunately not mutually dependent.

We'll take 29 and make a story about it however it's spent.