Farewell Jack Watts

PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What a mess. It’s ugly, divisive and without any sign of good character.  

All MFC players are on notice that a contract means nudda. 

Rut?? Inconsistent?? Fruckkkk 

We cry when Frawley and Scully leave. 

A loyal bloke wants to stay and he is told to fuc))$off. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bing181 said:

As has been posted previously, and as Goodwin, Jones and now Mahoney confirmed, this isn't (really) about Watts' on-field performance.

Many of the 'get rid of Watts' brigade here would appear to disagree since they harp on about  things which are on-field. 

6 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

for those of us less tech savvy, any chance of a link to the Mahoney interview?

Excerpts at 14 minute mark....

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=146060

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Don't forget Howe...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Normally, I would agree bing. 

But the clubs mentioned have high 1st round picks, and only Geelong has a pick around 20.  The rest are mid to high 2nd round.  http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-01/indicative-draft-order-post-grand-final

So I was going on what currency they have rather than what Jack is 'worth'. 

It sounds like the club just want Jack out so my sense is we will do the best deal with the club he nominates.

Would be delighted to be wrong and we get a pick in the 20's than the 30's.

plenty of ways those clubs could acquire a low 20's pick. what they have now will be quite different part way through trade week

3 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes Scully Frawley and Howe all left for $$$$$. Watts stayed for less $$$ due to loyalty to mates and the club.

What a disgraceful act by MFC

Yeah, nothing disgraceful at all about his clear lack of professionalism and maturity towards the club and the standards they have put in place.

Before you act like a [censored], remember this works both ways.

• Like 10

Three possible outcomes.

We trade Watts for a player that the coaches want

We don't trade Watts, he gets the message and transforms into the complete player we always hoped he would be

We don't trade Watts, he continues on as an almost-but-not-quite player

Two out of three ain't bad.

2 hours ago, Unleash Hell said:

Like deludio to gws?

If that was the move that allowed them to snag Caddy as well as Prestia & Nankervis, yes.

(and if I actually gave a sh!t about Richmond, I would know that)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Stinks to high heaven!! Agree with this 

1 Is Loyalty Dead?

2 Is Goodwin really a great people manager??

3 Will we be better with JW than without??

Messy to say the least

I'll tell you how this will play out....

Watts to Sydney for a speculative pick at best

He rips it up at Sydney smashes the naysayers and craps all over us in a BOG performance

MFC no idea!!

I can just see it ! 

BAD !

• Like 5

This has become a really shitty and ugly situation.

It's no longer just whether or not Watts should stay or go it's how  does the MFC emerge from this  fiasco with any pretensions to be being honourable or professional.

The club has handled this very poorly.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bing181 said:

As has been posted previously, and as Goodwin, Jones and now Mahoney confirmed, this isn't (really) about Watts' on-field performance.

I'm finding it difficult to 'reconcile' your statement with the following comment by Mahoney in his interview on SEN:

“Jack’s [discussion] is purely about performance. Our expectation on Jack, as a nine-year player and 150 games is what this discussion has been about."

I can't help but think that if it wasn't about Jack's on-field performance then Mahoney would've used different words e.g. "attitude", "application", "effort", "professionalism".

I guess he could be using the word "performance" in it's broader/wider context but effort/attitude/application in football speak are normally described exactly as such.

Anyway. I reckon Jack's gone so it's a mute point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChewyOnMyBoot said:

I'm finding it difficult to 'reconcile' your statement with the following comment by Mahoney in his interview on SEN:

“Jack’s [discussion] is purely about performance. Our expectation on Jack, as a nine-year player and 150 games is what this discussion has been about."

I can't help but think that if it wasn't about Jack's on-field performance then Mahoney would've used different words e.g. "attitude", "application", "effort", "professionalism".

I guess he could be using the word "performance" in it's broader/wider context but effort/attitude/application in football speak are normally described exactly as such.

Anyway. I reckon Jack's gone so it's a mute point.

I wish to [censored] it had been kept "mute".

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ProDee said:

I suspect Roos treated him like a human being in 2014 and 2015 also, but it's possible you're right and he didn't want to expose him too early. 

Alas, I fear you and I will remain on a different page re young Jack.  As Roos alluded to in the Detales podcast, there are part-time players at most clubs, including the MFC, and clearly Jack is in that category. 

Mahoney made it clear that Watts hasn't been doing the extras that some others players do in order to be the best player they can be.  Put simply, Watts is "half dedicated".  I know Dees supporters love making excuses for him, but I'm not one of those.  I'm big on "personal responsibi

Also, while others laud his 2016, it was a minimum standard for a player of his talent in my eyes.  That's not to say I wasn't pleased he'd had a breakout year, but he's capable of much more.

Dustin Martin isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but the effort and sacrifices he's made to become the best player in the league has clearly been immense.

Does anyone think Jack has gone close to emulating such efforts ?

You may respond, but I may not, as I realise discussions on Watts are futile. Thanks for the conversation.

We're finally expecting and demanding high performance from our players and when one won't fall into line so we offer him for trade you carp on about professionalism. FFS you can't have it both ways

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Or is this what ruthless looks like? Some people like to speak in bumper sticker slogans but when the time comes it appears they become squeamish.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ChewyOnMyBoot said:

"It is a really important stage where Jack is at as an experienced player at the footy club with the amount of games he has played, with such a young list, he has a big influence on our young players."

i.e. Watts is a negative influence that we don't want around the place anymore.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

This has become a really shitty and ugly situation.

It's no longer just whether or not Watts should stay or go it's how  does the MFC emerge from this  fiasco with any pretensions to be being honourable or professional.

I think this is the most disappointing thing for me. The conversation on whether Watts stays or goes seems to almost be moot now, the way the club has spoken publicly about him makes it almost untenable for Jack to stay, how can he when the coach and leader of the FD seem to be throwing so much weight around getting him out? And worse still is the fact that by staying the things we have I feel like his trade value has diminished.

This is such a mess, and it's a mess the club didn't need.

• Like 3

That Mahoney interview was a public appeal trying to convince Jack to go.

I appreciate the 'honesty' of the forwarded reasons around his preparation not being a great influence on a young group, as I have previously, I do question our purity when it comes to that altar.

Max Gawn is no great 'preparer' I have it on good authority...

Mahoney had to say what he said with all that has already been put out there, but it would have been preferable to not have a situation such as this.

I think Jack will relent and leave because I don't believe Mahoney when he says that Jack can come back - I think the message will be 'why come back when we don't want you? You are better off starting again elsewhere.' It is a powerful motivator when the coaching staff tell you to eff off.

My personal opinion is that the harder decision for Jack to make is to stay, and I also believe that no matter where he goes he will not be better off and that other clubs will eat him alive; think about the division amongst Dees fans/members/FD - there will be no division on Jack at other clubs - he will be on notice from day 1 and even with full commitment and proper preparation - 3 bad losses and there is a ready made fall guy and that will be that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Watts to Sydney for a speculative pick at best

He rips it up at Sydney smashes the naysayers and craps all over us in a BOG performance

MFC no idea!!

So we keep him on our list just to avoid this embarrassment.

The kind of small mindedness that has held us back in the past.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bing181 said:

"It is a really important stage where Jack is at as an experienced player at the footy club with the amount of games he has played, with such a young list, he has a big influence on our young players."

i.e. Watts is a negative influence that we don't want around the place anymore.

Fair enough. Can see that statement relating to a non on-field performance matter.

Not sure they're saying they don't want him around anymore.

You really don't like him do you? Like...really don't.

I'm just fascinated by the absolute polarisation of the "Jack Watts as a player" topic.

7 minutes ago, Goodvibes said:

Or is this what ruthless looks like? Some people like to speak in bumper sticker slogans but when the time comes it appears they become squeamish.

Ruthless? Perhaps.

But is ruthlessness always such a public flogging? Of an asset you are trying to move? That has two years left on a contract he signed 12 months ago?

We can make tough decisions and not force someone into a very public corner.

And this altar of preparedness and commitment that we are currently slaying Watts on - where was it when we re-signed him? Eight years of bad habits and we think it will all change in the ninth? Or did it suddenly get worse? And if it did - why did it get better under Roos? Do that again...

I honestly don't see how anyone can see this as 'a good club doing what good clubs do'...

• Like 1

For all of Watts' talent, he doesn't influence games anywhere near as much as he should.

Clearly our FD have had enough and their strong stance is a clear message sent to the rest of the playing group as well, 'talent alone is not good enough, you need to perform'.

We bemoan the lack of leadership within the footy group, yet when the FD start expecting higher standards with a ruthless aggression, we cry foul?

Clearly some on here would rather wallow in mediocrity for a little longer. If Jack Watts being pushed out is a result of the team finally being held to account for their inconsistent performances, then that's fine by me. It's about time the players' are fully held responsible for their actions.

• Like 5