Changes v Carlton

Gorgoroth

The club is seriously joking if they play Hogan in the VFL. That is taking being conservative to the next level

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, loges said:

The club is seriously joking if they play Hogan in the VFL. That is taking being conservative to the next level

Hogan's a young player who's been through a heck of a lot this year. A VFL return isn't as silly as it sounds...even though it doesn't help our injury plight. 

That being said, we'd have to be the most conservative club in the league.

When the stakes are getting serious in August, surely we'll start rolling the dice a bit more.

17 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Much less pressure on Jesse to ease back into the limelight especially as Misson highlighted that it is up to Jesse and his 'mindset'. 

While I would love to see Jesse at the G on Sunday, it will be fantastic to see him anywhere having a kick after all he has been through.  Go Jesse!

Well said, it would be a sight for sore eyes to see him anywhere really. 

No doubt he's physically ready to play but it's a tough predicament the club faces with his selection.

The mental issue is the main one from all reports but geez we need Jesse more than ever. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, praha said:

Imo we'll smash Carlton.  Our defense holds up well and was impressive considering the circumstances vs Sydney. We have more talent across the board. Very confident regardless of outs.

They can smash the midfield but we best them elsewhere. Also Gawn will be better for the week's rest and 2 games. He'll go on a tear.

You are kidding. We could have been 8 goals down at the 20 min mark of the 1st quarter. The fact the Swans kicked badly is not a reflection on the strength of our defence.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

You are kidding. We could have been 8 goals down at the 20 min mark of the 1st quarter. The fact the Swans kicked badly is not a reflection on the strength of our defence.

Consider what they had to put up with they were pretty good in my eyes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

Swans didn't kick badly in the first quarter. Most shots were from distance or wide. No glaring misses. Defence was the only redeeming feature on a poor night.

• Like 5

Misson's injury report:

- Garlett, Hogan and Tyson all facing fitness tests.  Sounds like Hogan and Garlett are big chances, Tyson is 50/50.  I assume he'll be picked and they'll give him right up until Sunday to play.

- Watts is a definite out.  Still a week or two away, same as Salem.

You would assume that Hogan and Garlett will get picked, but the changes outside of that could be anyone's guess this week.

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:16 PM, Diamond_Jim said:

why is it dumb... EPL teams do it all the time

It is part of list management. If it makes sense from a physiological viewpoint let's do it

EPL teams aren't chasing a finals berth, completely different scenario. They rest players in lesser comps (The local cup comps), against teams they are miles ahead of (or behind) or when playing in Europe. They also play a chit load more games in a season than we do.

1 hour ago, martin said:

Swans didn't kick badly in the first quarter. Most shots were from distance or wide. No glaring misses. Defence was the only redeeming feature on a poor night.

Shh, just feed into their negativity. It's easier that way. One week we're flag contenders, we get some injuries and now we can't even beat 16th. This forum sometimes...

2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Our defense was very good on the night. It's not all about the scoreboard. We got pummelled around the ground and our defenders are really the only ones that held firm.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ProDee said:

We were creamed.  

It was a 12 goal loss everywhere except the scoreboard.

We were off from the first minute of the game, I'm not sure the short breaks explain how bad we were, taking nothing away from the swans who were fantastic, but we were miles off what I expected of us. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, monoccular said:

But need to stabilise it as far as possible.

Playing both Wagner and White and moving Hunt forward after losing Salem just put it off balance and cohesion.

You can get away with one change in the back 6 if needed, but two was in retrospect almost certainly a big mistake.

Agree. Also we really misses hunts metres gained. Losing that cohesion and nor having hunts impact is a direct result of not have those 3 k peanuts available. They should not have needed any reminding. I would have thought all 3 would wanted to give themselves every possoble chance of beinf sekected

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PaulRB said:

You mean like if my aunt was a man, she'd be my uncle..?:wacko:

My point - which I am sure you understand but all the same - is that the scoreboard flattered us. It is not a true reflection of what happened during the game or how well our defence held up.

• Like 1

Our defence was good, no doubt. Omac and jetts in particular.

Agree they could have easily won by more but that was a function of how many inside 50s they had and their midfield dominance not our backline. Also didnt help we couldnt get a clearance or lock it in our forward line. If not for a defence we would have loat by muxh more, wven if they were so innacurate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, loges said:

If Hogan puts his hand up to play, he plays AFL not VFL, its a no brainer!

For me his return is completely in Jesse's hands, if he feels like he needs a lower key return to football then 100% we do it. But if he says he's ready to return and doesn't say VFL then he's into the seniors. Simple as that. 

I'm not confident about this game but at the same time our team has done some amazing things this year and in no small part due to Goodwin's outside the box thinking. 

This is one of the most important weeks for selection, we've gone from having the good headaches to the bad ones in a very short period of time. 

11 minutes ago, JTR said:

My point - which I am sure you understand but all the same - is that the scoreboard flattered us. It is not a true reflection of what happened during the game or how well our defence held up.

The Scoreboard flattered our midfield who were abysmal, and our backs did well to corral and force the Swans' many entries wide. Sometimes that's the best that any backline can do when their mids are being beaten.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, praha said:

Rubbish. We have talent across the board and if you couldn't see the endeavour last week you're blind. We got smashed but we'll be better for the rest. We still have more potential in each area of the ground than they do. And all this talk about Carlton's midfield...the worst clearance team in the comp. Lewis and Vince are more than adequate replacements. Not many teams can lose their entire midfield and throw former AA and B&F winners in as replacements. We'll wipe the floor with them. 

Still a worry - I'm not as convinced as you

MFCSS

• Like 1

My team Round 16: 

FB

Jetta

Omac

Frost

HB

Hibberd

Tmac

Wagner

CC

Lewis (Capt)

Hunt

JKH

HF

Harmes

Pedo

Neal-Bullen

FF

Garlett

Hogan

Petracca

Foll

Gawn

Trengove

Oliver

Inter

Stretch

Melksham

Hannan

Vince

In

Hogan

JKH

Trengove

Garlett

Out

White

Bugg

Viney

Tyson

When you look at this team it is not all that bad, it is only when you consider what it might be that it is frustrating. I think good enough to win 2 out of the next 5, and the then win the last three to get into the finals with most of our first team available and firing. Still exciting times....

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 5

sorry to say  but we are GONE   i will still tip us this weekend   as usual , but really we are gone  , no finals this year   , need a miracle    and we all know about miracles dont we , , [censored] off 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BarnDee said:

sorry to say  but we are GONE   i will still tip us this weekend   as usual , but really we are gone  , no finals this year   , need a miracle    and we all know about miracles dont we , , [censored] off 

Disagree. If we win this match, and get our players back on time with no more set backs we can also win the last theee and maybe another in there. Amazing how long a week is in footy. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, BarnDee said:

Completely disagree... we will be getting players back each week fingers crossed for Jeffy and Hoges this week. Watts the week after, Jones shortly after that followed by Salem and Viney all of which will have time to find form going into September. 

Out of our last 8 games we need to win 4 more, of which we are playing THE FOUR BOTTOM TEAMS, St Kilda & Adelaide who we have already beaten this season, Port who haven't beaten anyone who puts up a fight, & GWS who granted are on top of the ladder but haven't been convincing this year. 

It will be tough with so many starting 22 players out but this team is building something special and are no longer soft push overs. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, BarnDee said:

Should i put my membership in the microwave or pre heat the oven?

These are no longer the dark days, although the footy gods are trying their mightiest to send us back there.

Belief rather than hope!!