Looking ahead ... the Path to September

Diamond_Jim

5 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

If Port beat WB this week and IF (a big if) we win all our remaining games, I reckon we play Sydney (6th) in Sydney.

Port have the biggest percentage booster (GC at home) you could ever imagine in round 23 so should finish above Sydney who will host an honest Carlton to end the H&A.

I'm assuming Geelong and Richmond will stay top 4.

Honest Carlton!!  The Visy paper bag mob, the inventors of tanking whose recruit got another club investigated for their invention, the club with the doctors who repeatedly screw other teams' players at the MRP??  That honest Carlton??!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bandicoot said:

I think both port and Sydney will lose this week which means that whoever wins by more in the last round will finish 5th. Swans play Carlton and port play GC. Could both be 100 point wins. 

I'm not as confident that Port beat the Dogs in Ballarat in 9 degs.  Also, I don't think you can write off a Dean Solomon coached Suns quite so quickly for the week after, at least not in terms of the probability of a 100 point loss.  In fact, I'm not dismissive of them taking it up to a Hurley-less Essendon on Saturday.  

I concur with Clint's take on us not beating Sydney or GWS.....at least not up there!  But if we can avoid them until the last game of the year, we might be a chance on the G!   Two trips to Adelaide and a MCG Semi against the Tiges would be a heaven sent September program for the Dees!

• Like 1

On 8/16/2017 at 4:06 PM, Bring-Back-Powell said:

So far the AFL have sort of indicated that a Thursday night final would be most likely played in Adelaide. There's a belief that Thu night footy is better suited to Adelaide or Perth.

So if we played Port, I'll take a punt and say we'd be playing them on the Thu night. I reckon they would put Adelaide v's Geelong or Richmond on the Friday night.

If we play Sydney, I have a gut feel it will be a Saturday arvo at the SCG or possibly night. They never have an elimination final on a Friday night.

**Knock on wood we make it** 

I like us playing the Elim final on the Thursday night (if we make finals).   It gives us a 12 day break from the round 23 Saturday game and it gives us at least 8/9 day break to the next final (if we win Elim). 

I think that is a major reasons the Bulldogs won last year: they had 8 - 9 day breaks between each final giving their players maximum time for recovery.  That is a fair advantage in September.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Abe said:

If we beat Brisbane by 40-50 points the % should get us over the line so long as we don't get belted by the pies 

40-50 wont be anywhere near enough to have any safe % buffer over Essendon if we lost to the Pies.

We would need to smash the Lions by 100+ to get some real space.

If both Melbourne and Essendon win by 30 this week, and we lose by 12 points in Round 23 while Essendon win by 12, our % will be almost dead even with theirs.

Since its more likely they will smash the Dockers round 23, we really have to beat the Pies or risk the likely scenario of missing the 8 on %.

Having said that,  the Bombers can easily lose to the Suns tomorrow.

15 hours ago, monoccular said:

Honest Carlton!!  The Visy paper bag mob, the inventors of tanking whose recruit got another club investigated for their invention, the club with the doctors who repeatedly screw other teams' players at the MRP??  That honest Carlton??!!

Honest Carlton, as in they haven't really copped too many 10+ goal losses. Not for the other things you mentioned.

I expect Sydney to beat Carlton by just 7-9 goals.

Apologies I've not caught up on a lot of this thread.

Thursday and Saturday night are the elims?

1 hour ago, Petraccattack said:

40-50 wont be anywhere near enough to have any safe % buffer over Essendon if we lost to the Pies.

We would need to smash the Lions by 100+ to get some real space.

If both Melbourne and Essendon win by 30 this week, and we lose by 12 points in Round 23 while Essendon win by 12, our % will be almost dead even with theirs.

Since its more likely they will smash the Dockers round 23, we really have to beat the Pies or risk the likely scenario of missing the 8 on %.

Having said that,  the Bombers can easily lose to the Suns tomorrow.

How about just winning both?

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

30 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

This is my final ladder with us winning our last two, even if win one then I have us in eight on percentage playing Richmond which is probably a better outcome but I'd rather win both games just to be safe.59962e0a1e2d3_ScreenShot2017-08-18at9_59_27am.png.9b16cb961250696b652ddd6bdedf06f5.png

I know you finagled that to get Sydney a top 4 spot so we can avoid them.

I know because I have been doing the same thing...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I think they will win their last two and I can see Richmond dropping one of their last two.

Which game do the Dogs lose?  That's really the key - if the Dogs lose one we really only need to win one.

We'll know that before the Collingwood game because it's Hawks v Dogs next Friday night.

Edited by Fifty-5

9 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I have them beating Port Adelaide but losing to Hawthorn.

They will lose to the Hawks in hodges farewell game. 

Not confident about them this week either....

You'll all be very pleased to know that it's still mathematically possible for Hawthorn to make the 8. It does rely on them winning both games and all bar one of the other contenders losing both their games though.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Nasher said:

You'll all be very pleased to know that it's still mathematically possible for Hawthorn to make the 8. It does rely on them winning both games and all bar one of the other contenders losing both their games though.

If they make finals they will do a lot of damage too.

2 hours ago, Nasher said:

And Richmond can still finish 9th!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SFebey said:

And Richmond can still finish 9th!

I prefer the scenario where they go out in straight sets, again!! 

It will be the 4th finals series in 5 years where they have not one a final!

It is highly likely they lose to Adel in their first final then meet Sydney the following week.  Lose that and out in straight sets:laugh:

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I prefer the scenario where they go out in straight sets, again!! 

It will be the 4th finals series in 5 years where they have not one a final!

It is highly likely they lose to Adel in their first final then meet Sydney the following week.  Lose that and out in straight sets:laugh:

I would love that scenario too but I'd rather them stay out of the top 4. Can't chance them getting through to a prelim :P