Angus Brayshaw Concussion Issues

picket fence

it's very sad.

such high expectations based on his first year, but his career thus far has just been ruined by concussions, which would have to have some impact on his decision making.

27 minutes ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

I'd like to see him put on the LTI and just take some time to get his head right.

At the moment we have great midfield depth, but with Lewis and Vince eventually finishing up his importance will be more long term.

I think we will still make it, just going through a rough patch.

i really hope yr right, dig.

29 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

interesting as it is marketed as favoured by soccer players

A lot of work being done on the long term impact of heading the ball in soccer.

The impact has been reduced over the years because the balls are now lighter and not water logged but it is still a concern.

Not sure that it is designed for AFL type bumps but I'm certainly no expert.

definitely worth emailing the club re this idea.

2 hours ago, DemonOX said:

Oh ok didn't realise that but it may give him more confidence with some sort of protection on his head rather than nothing at all. 

I had to wear a helmet for half a season after a minor skull fracture just to keep the club docs happy.

I can assure you that they do not much apart from attracting more his to the head. May as welll wear a target.

• Like 1

It's too early for him to give up his career. He's 21 and he has the potential to be an A grade footballer. Absolutely no chance, unless this is life threatening, that we just give up. 

There has to be things we can try first and I'm sure Angus would agree. He is too good to simply walk away from AFL because of 3 concussions. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Well I have been very vocal in this issue and I will say this as a father and phys ed teacher, he cannot possibly go on. He has had too many head hits. Time for MFC and doctors to advise that life is sacred and above and beyond footy his long term wellbeing should be Number 1 Priority. Time to retire IMV! Footnote: At least give it away for the rest of the year and reasses!

I hate to break it to you, but being a PE teacher doesn't give you extra credibility on the subject. 

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Well I have been very vocal in this issue and I will say this as a father and phys ed teacher, he cannot possibly go on. He has had too many head hits. Time for MFC and doctors to advise that life is sacred and above and beyond footy his long term wellbeing should be Number 1 Priority. Time to retire IMV! Footnote: At least give it away for the rest of the year and reasses!

Pretty sure as a father and a phys ed teacher you wouldn't want your kids' diagnosis sourced from posts on a fan forum

• Like 2

Yeah well lets skip the father bit and phys ed teacher bit lets just say that in my view I would er on the side of caution, maybe after watching the movie concusion has opened my eyes just a little bit more! Happy not to be the expert! Ok??

Edited by picket fence

I reckon if it's another confirmed concussion we should just give him a good solid break if not the whole season then maybe 8 weeks or something. 

Obviouslt the experts will make a judgement on what's best for gus but it's becoming pretty concerning 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mickey said:

What did he say Dazzle?

Plapp paints a darkish picture.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-05-14/brayshaw-suffers-another-head-knock

I wonder if he should just say 'we need to wait for a medical assessment' and leave it at that.  It doesn't serve any purpose to say 'its not good', 'its not good' a number of times because he probably doesn't really know.

And if he does know a post game interview isn't the right time to say it. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

5 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Plapp paints a darkish picture.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-05-14/brayshaw-suffers-another-head-knock

I wonder if he should just say 'we need to wait for a medical assessment' and leave it at that.  It doesn't serve any purpose to say 'its not good', 'its not good' a number of times because he probably doesn't really know.

And if he does know a post game interview isn't the right time to say it. 

Plapp is clearly gutted for him! Really feeling for gus! 

Poor bloke, Plapp's thoughts on the incident seemed to be that it wasn't a particularly hard knock. There's so much research being done in this field but is it a case of after certain knocks whatever protection exists inside the head starts to erode, thus making it more susceptible to concussions? Or is it the brain itself being damaged in a way that it can't full repair itself? 

Thinking about Selwood over his career I just find it incredible that a young bloke who's suffered two bad head knocks and been carefully managed throughout them become so exposed to concussion injuries. 

Damn I feel for the poor bloke. 

We need to stop playing him in the VFL.  He's too good for that level, but they all know about his concussion issues, so the first thing any opposition coach does is designate someone to clobber him and get him taken off for the rest of the game.  Really, who cares if they destroy a kids career as long as they get a better shot at winning a game? 

2 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Screw going to the doctor, I just get all my medical advice from Demonland.

I diagnose MFCSS, caused by lack of mental acuity, indicated by bouts of rage and depression, interspersed with short-lived moments of elation. For the sake of your health (physical and mental) kindly transfer all your money to my bank account. PM for details.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jaded said:

It's too early for him to give up his career. He's 21 and he has the potential to be an A grade footballer. Absolutely no chance, unless this is life threatening, that we just give up. 

There has to be things we can try first and I'm sure Angus would agree. He is too good to simply walk away from AFL because of 3 concussions. 

Has absolutely nothing to do with his age, his potential, his career, what he could or couldn't be for the MFC or any club.

It might just have a smidge to do . .

with his current and ongoing cerebral health.

If the propers docs' best advice is... Son, it's like this... Well then it's like this. 

A speedy and complete recovery to you Gus.

• Like 1

The kid is certainly unlucky, Selwood ducks so much that he basically gets his head split open every game, but is fine to play each week. Gus on the other hand can't seem to take a trick.

Obviously my comment is without seeing what happened today or knowing Gus' medical reports, but I'd be happy if the club just put him in cotton wool for the rest of the season, still train etc, but no games. Hopefully half a season off with no head bumps will "reset" his brain, so to speak, and he'll come back fine?

I'm certain that Gus, his family and the Club will put his health first. Personally I'd love to see him fully recovered and back playing for the Club.

• Like 1