Changes v Richmond R5

10 minutes ago, Biffen said:

Goodwin is slow to grasp the nettle.

Very well to get games into Omac,Smith,Hannan,Weedetc and looks progressive enough.

Frost ,Pedo and Spencer warranted selection before all of them.

His attempt to show up Jack Watts now looks infantile as does his promotion of Viney.

He could stamp his authority by keeping it more simple and trying less innovation and left field decisions.Its not about him.

Spencer warranted selection for the Geelong game.

Pedo warranted it before that.

Frost was picked late after Hogan went out .

I don't care about the players age and wish they were selected on merit only.The Pedo is on the list and should be used when needed.

We need marking power not more press conferences for debutantes.

Also looks like Weed and Melksham are getting games based on perception not reality - playing favourites is no good.

Keep it simple Simon.

Works for me if I read your posts with a Sam Kekovich voice. You know it makes sense. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I cannot recall one good piece of play or strong defensive acts in 4 games.

I think this is the point with Melksham. I don't think his skill set is much different to someone like Jetta, but Jetts has 2/3 really good moments every game. Melksham hasnt really had one. He does provide some really good outlet kicks but nothing he does is spectacular, its all very forgettable 

10 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Sorry rjay but Frost wasn't "hardly" better, he was significantly better. No worse defensively (i.e. no worse with body positioning or one-on-one stuff) and much, much better offensively. Rusty, that's for sure, and he's no Alex Rance, but an improvement on OMac (btw, I'm a long-term OMac fan. I think he'll make it. But right now Frost is a better option for that spot).

Having said that, our defensive issues are not the back six individuals. They are team structures and pressure up the ground. The third quarter was on the half-forwards and midfielders for failing to apply enough pressure, allowing Fremantle to move the ball with ease.

I understand the issues up the ground 'titan' but our back 6 are sub standard...lose their way when the ball comes in quickly, are poor decision makers and poor kicks.

• Like 1

Considering that, throughout this thread and others, we have so many poor kicks, poor decision makers and poor leaders, a coach in the gun and a few young forwards who can't get near it - how come we're 2-2 and, if things went our way (kicking for goal, for example), we could be 4-0?  Do we actually have any good players, good decision makers, good leaders etc or is our whole list outside of Oliver just putrid?  I'd love to see a little positivity because, at the minute, we seem to be talking down about or side so much that I'm surprised we're not 0-4.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

1) Considering that, throughout this thread and others, we have so many poor kicks, poor decision makers and poor leaders, a coach in the gun and a few young forwards who can't get near it - how come we're 2-2 and, if things went our way (kicking for goal, for example), we could be 4-0? 

2)Do we actually have any good players, good decision makers, good leaders etc or is our whole list outside of Oliver just putrid? 

3)I'd love to see a little positivity because, at the minute, we seem to be talking down about or side so much that I'm surprised we're not 0-4.

1) If that is your interpretation of threads then maybe therein lies the issue. 

2) Yes, and credit has been given in various threads.

3) Generalising and preaching isn't adding any objectivity to discussions.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Biffen said:

Very well to get games into Omac,Smith,Hannan,Weedetc and looks progressive enough.

His attempt to show up Jack Watts now looks infantile as does his promotion of Viney.

He could stamp his authority by keeping it more simple and trying less innovation and left field decisions.Its not about him.

I don't care about the players age and wish they were selected on merit only.The Pedo is on the list and should be used when needed.

Also looks like Weed and Melksham are getting games based on perception not reality - playing favourites is no good.

Keep it simple Simon.

Here Here. I do applaud Goodwins style BUT he is trying too many things in too short a space of time. Agree with all you have said!

The dual Captaincy thing is his biggest blunder to date and there is no fixing that till next year, unless Viney abdicates ( which isn't likely) 

The buck stops to a degree with the players and if some cannot adapt to the way he wants to play then at the end of the year see ya later!

• Like 1

Just now, Lucifer's Hero said:

1) If that is your interpretation of threads then maybe therein lies the issue. 

2) Yes, and credit has been given in various threads.

3) Generalising and preaching isn't adding any objectivity to discussions.

1. - No, it isn't the issue.  

2. - There hasn't been nearly enough of it.

3. - Laughable.  I discuss topics in depth all the time, so don't go the low blow when you know it isn't true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I too would have had Melksham out due form but with the 3 quicks they have im thinking maybe he stays in to do a long down role.

If Gus plays a blinder today then he comes in for Hannan. He adds more at half forward then Hannan does and also give us bit more class and edge to the midfield rotations.

I think Weed will have the weekend off. Has been going at it since JLT series and corkie will give the selectors an excuse to rest him.

they don't need an excuse. he's just not ready and doesn't look it. in fact i'd say he's going backwards. needs a good long spell in the magoos. he's going to be a slow develop, nothing gained in his case by trying to accelerate it. may work for some types but not weed

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

they don't need an excuse. he's just not ready and doesn't look it. in fact i'd say he's going backwards. needs a good long spell in the magoos. he's going to be a slow develop, nothing gained in his case by trying to accelerate it. may work for some types but not weed

But Dais i can see both sides of the story to why keeping him in the AFL will help speed up his development like they did with Oscar or play VFL to work on his weaknesses and develop at a normal rate. Its a balancing act which im sure the coaching staff have discussed. 

I would be happy of Weed played 10 to 12 games this year. Next year hopefully we'll start to see a bigger person who'll start to clunk those big marks.

In saying that he is an omission for me this weekend for Hogan.

Edited by dazzledavey36

1 hour ago, Biffen said:

Keep it simple Simon.

Pedo has been injured most of the pre-season and by all reports hasn't been tearing up the VFL.  Spencer was only ever going to come in if Gawn went down.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

But Dais i can see both sides of the story to why keeping him in the AFL will help speed up his development like theu did with Oscar or play VFL to work on his weaknesses and develop at a normal rate. Its a balancing act which im sure the coaching staff have discussed. 

I would be happy of Weed played 10 to 12 games this year. Next year hopefully we'll start to see a bigger person who'll start to clunk those big marks.

dazzle, if we are going to be honest he was very average in the twos last year. i get why we are desperate to have another kpf to complement hogan, but the kid is just not up to it yet and playing him on blind faith that it will magically accelerate his development is too wishful. he has a lot to work on and getting 5 touches a game with no defensive pressure is confidence sapping. 

9 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

But Dais i can see both sides of the story to why keeping him in the AFL will help speed up his development like they did with Oscar or play VFL to work on his weaknesses and develop at a normal rate. Its a balancing act which im sure the coaching staff have discussed. 

I think you're right dazzle, we are a team in transition so we have to balance playing young guys so they develop and trying to win as many games as possible. 

Weideman is the future and pederson is not so I think there is some logic there, in saying that hogan coming in and weid having a rest would be a good move for now I think 

7 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

dazzle, if we are going to be honest he was very average in the twos last year. i get why we are desperate to have another kpf to complement hogan, but the kid is just not up to it yet and playing him on blind faith that it will magically accelerate his development is too wishful. he has a lot to work on and getting 5 touches a game with no defensive pressure is confidence sapping. 

See thats where i disagree. He was a strong contributer for the twos last year. He had 2 games where he kicked 4 goals in both. He kicked 25 goals from 14 games which is very impressive for a first year skinny forward.

I agree with the rest of what you say though. He should have been dropped aftet the Geelong game and even now I'm still shaking my head why Smith (the bigger mature body) was dropped and Weed stayed in. If we are fair dinkum about playing finals then personally weed has to develop at VFL and we just go with the Watts Hogan combo who both just work well brilliantly together.

15 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Unfortunately for Moore he has been talked up as the next Wayne Carey by Pies fans when he is not even close to having the same talent level as a lot of the other young KPP's running around.  

And he is 2 years older than Weid, which just highlights even more that people need to lay off the our 19 year old KPF. He should be developing at Casey like any other teenaged key position player.

I don't think anyone is having a go at the Weid (not any reasonable person anyway) just acknowledging he needs more time to develop at Casey

• Like 5

13 hours ago, JV7 said:

I've said it the past 2 weeks & I'll say it again this week... Pedersen has to be bought in! We continually lack a marking option to kick to, it might change this week with Hogan in the side, but he still needs help. Bringing Pedersen is gives us:

A) another tall to kick to/bail out kick who will provide a contest every time

B) can play 2nd ruck & allow Watts to play permenant forward where he is at his best.

I know Pedersen isn't the future but I still think he can play a pivotal role. He needs to be bought in this week.

In: Hogan, Pedersen

Out: Weideman, Melksham

Agree wholeheartedly

36 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Pedo has been injured most of the pre-season and by all reports hasn't been tearing up the VFL.  Spencer was only ever going to come in if Gawn went down.  

Spot on D11. Frost has been battling injury S well. 

If both were fit and playing well in the scooby doos then I'd have issues with them not getting picked over the non impacting youth. I'm a big fan of the Pedobear but if he can't get on his bike he would be as useless as the Weed. If they are going to be as useless as each other getting games into kids makes more sense.

It seems Goody has picked his squad from the fittest available. 

Kinda makes sense when you think about it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jack son 5 said:

Melbourne wont go anywhere when they keep playing the likes of Frost and Weids.

Frost is rubbish and not AFL standard. Same as Melksham.

Bringing in Trengove, Brayshaw  and JKH, please no.

Hibberd for Melksham.

Pedo for Frost.

Hogan for Weids.

Who plays key defence in the abscence of Frost?? Pedo?? Nar.... put Jesse , Pedo and Jack W as forward talls and watch Richmond struggle with our Forward height and marking strength! Then all we need to do is get first use out of the centre! Sounds almost too easy!

1 minute ago, picket fence said:

Who plays key defence in the abscence of Frost?? Pedo?? Nar.... put Jesse , Pedo and Jack W as forward talls and watch Richmond struggle with our Forward height and marking strength! Then all we need to do is get first use out of the centre! Sounds almost too easy!

Good question. Garland would have been handy, although not as tall.

Pedo forward rotating with Spence. Watts down back replacing Frost. Watts can play that role.

13 hours ago, Mud Dogs Gonna Win said:

If you can't see the difference Frost had instead of the nervous fumbling blind Oscar, you just straight up don't watch the game.. and most likely yell "kick it long" & "ball" every minute!

The three Frost turnovers that led to goals you mean, I watched the game

He was on par, both still learning to be a key defender

• Like 2

I'd consider just dropping Hannan and bringing in Pedersen. I'd be surprised if Weeds is dropped if fit. I can actually seem him lifting on the big stage and proving a lot of people here wrong.