Nathan Jones on On The Couch tonight

dees189227

8 minutes ago, iv'a worn smith said:

Once again, headlines belie the truth of the story.  The Age headline says "Nathan Jones miffed by Melbourne Demons' captaincy move "  He was "disappointed" and "frustrated", but he clearly is accepting of it and looks ahead.   So, to err is human, but to express yourself is a cardinal sin?  Once again, just bad journalism.

It goes back to the same old problem IMO

Too much space to fill and so little real material.

So any crap is presented as some monstrous news story that will shake the sporting world.

Ignore is the best policy.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 3

I dont mind the program and the four blokes on it. They usually talk about interesting content and each bring a different perception and vibe to the discussion.

Unfortunately, they missed the mark with last nights interview. It was the same old regurgitated media from the last month. 

I hope this section of OTC improves with subsequent interviewees.

49 minutes ago, iv'a worn smith said:

Once again, headlines belie the truth of the story.  The Age headline says "Nathan Jones miffed by Melbourne Demons' captaincy move "  He was "disappointed" and "frustrated", but he clearly is accepting of it and looks ahead.   So, to err is human, but to express yourself is a cardinal sin?  Once again, just bad journalism.

sells a paper

There are some signs that Goodwin's decision making can be off the mark (even with a small sample).

1. Massive Viney fan but vice captaincy would have been better and captain way too early. Disrespectful to Jonesy

2. Taking past captain all the way to WA to sit on the pine. Disrespectful to Trenners

3. Handling of Watts situation could have been communicated more clearly at the beginning - still not 100% conviinced we know whats happepened there

4. Understand why playing Spencer is important so Max has the tank to make it through to the end of the year and finals, but not sure he is up to it

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

He's not long come on. Was initially upset about being made co-captain. 

He was asked about Watts, still no straight answer. No decision made on whether or not Spencer will play round 1.

For a bit of fun he was asked in order who he would take from Petracca, Hogan and Oliver. Hogan first then Oliver then Petracca. He didn't think Petracca would take the news very well, while having a laugh. 

No one deserves to play finals more than Jones, top bloke. 

Jones has already played finals. Just sayin....

55 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Greedy bugger, he shouldn't get another go at them then. 

It is yet to be proved that he will ET.

We have two years IMO or he misses out.

There are few certainties in life.

2 hours ago, old dee said:

It goes back to the same old problem IMO

Too much space to fill and so little real material.

So any crap is presented as some monstrous news story that will shake the sporting world.

Ignore is the best policy.

Happened from the day that journalists were made celebrities.

Bring back the days of Scotty Palmer coming on and reporting (mostly) facts, and saving the rumours and innuendo for his Punchlines column in the Sun.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, biggestred said:

I get the impression it hurt him but hes so professional he's found the positives in it.

Personally i feel its more an elevation of viney than anything about jonesy

100%

34 minutes ago, billy2803 said:

Happened from the day that journalists were made celebrities.

Bring back the days of Scotty Palmer coming on and reporting (mostly) facts, and saving the rumours and innuendo for his Punchlines column in the Sun.

In those days billy they was a few radio stations they gave a few hours a week, One TV station with more than passing interest and two newspapers interested in Football. So a limited amount of space to fill.

Now we Four Main TV channels, Foxtel, a number of Radio stations even one dedicated entirely to sport and an unending  supply of Internet space.

With all that to fill it is hardly surprising that a lot of what is supplied is crap.

The saddest part billy  for you and me is the old days will never return. We just have to be more discerning.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

Quite meh

Good looking bloke, though....

My wife reckons she would leave me for Jonesy but I can't see it. She also reckons Dean Kent. I suppose I have a similar build...

:roos:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Josh said:

My wife reckons she would leave me for Jonesy but I can't see it. She also reckons Dean Kent. I suppose I have a similar build...

:roos:

You are much taller than dean though. And you have much more hair than Nathan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

There are some signs that Goodwin's decision making can be off the mark (even with a small sample).

1. Massive Viney fan but vice captaincy would have been better and captain way too early. Disrespectful to Jonesy

2. Taking past captain all the way to WA to sit on the pine. Disrespectful to Trenners

3. Handling of Watts situation could have been communicated more clearly at the beginning - still not 100% conviinced we know whats happepened there

4. Understand why playing Spencer is important so Max has the tank to make it through to the end of the year and finals, but not sure he is up to it

I admit to having similar reservations, particularly on points 1, 2 & 4. The Watts situation was always going to be a tricky one from the moment it was deemed Watts hadn't met the expected standards.

It is however too early to declare these as poor decisions. The proof will be in the pudding. We wait and see how Viney and Jones take to the new captaincy arrangement, how Watts performs in the season proper, how well the Spencer experiment works (although if it doesn't go ahead at all then it's been a bit of a waste of three JLT games), and most importantly, how the team performs as a whole.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 1

I think Jones and Viney are both professional and driven enough to make this relationship work.  I still don't like it though.  Grooming is what the vice-captaincy is for; why not have Viney as an active, involved and hands-on VC?  The difference is really in name only but affords all due respect to a man who has carried this club on his broad shoulders for the past five years.

• Like 2

I've been miffed before and I can testify it is a slightly unpleasant feeling.

• Like 1

I'm perfectly happy to know that Jones wasn't completely happy about the co-captain change. He's in it to lead the club out of the shadows and would be picturing the end goal as holding up the premiership cup.

I wonder if there's a chance to break records for the longest stable co-captain arrangement ever?

Also, funny that we've got co-captains now, after Roos has left.

1 hour ago, binman said:

You are much taller than dean though. And you have much more hair than Nathan

I am much taller thanDean and MUCH hairier than Nathan, do you know me "binman"?

5 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

I expressed concerns about a couple of things that Goodwin has done, some of the ones you've expressed above and was accused of talking drivel, now we have the Jones captaincy issue which is disrespectful of Jones, imo.

McCartney said he lost the players by changing his methods when he became senior coach, hope Goody doesn't fall in to the same trap.

• Like 2

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/jack-vineys-promotion-to-melbourne-demons-cocaptaincy-was-coachs-call-20170321-gv3an0.html

Definitely a captain's call by Goodwin.

Telling the leadership group and the incumbent captain after he made the decision is quite different to how top clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong operate. 

Huge accolades to Jones for how he has moved forward from the deflating news.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/jack-vineys-promotion-to-melbourne-demons-cocaptaincy-was-coachs-call-20170321-gv3an0.html

Definitely a captain's call by Goodwin.

Telling the leadership group and the incumbent captain after he made the decision is quite different to how top clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong operate. 

Huge accolades to Jones for how he has moved forward from the deflating news.

Do you think Hawthorn's decision to pension off Mitchell and Lewis was a Clarkson "captain call" ?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Do you think Hawthorn's decision to pension off Mitchell and Lewis was a Clarkson "captain call" ?

Yes, I do.  Perhaps driven by not having a Fagan nor a CEO in place at draft time, to harness Clarkson's impetuosness. But consulting the leadership group has been a basic tenet of that club until this draft period.

Clarkson has the runs on the board to be unilateral.  Goodwin does not. 

I will be over the moon if Goodwin is the coach we are all hoping he will be.  But for mine he needs to earn the stripes and I'm not sure he has, yet.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Yes, I do.  Perhaps driven by not having a Fagan nor a CEO in place at draft time, to harness Clarkson's impetuosness. But consulting the leadership group has been a basic tenet of that club until this draft period.

Clarkson has the runs on the board to be unilateral.  Goodwin does not. 

But you said "a top club like Hawthorn" wouldn't act this way.

So that's not quite right, is it ?

• Like 2

Just a little rumor I heard from a source close to the club. 

Goodwin was originally planning to have Jones as sole captain. Jones started to play really well in the round of golf and looked like being the first player to beat Goodwin.

Goody has a great relationship with the boys and knew that Nath doesn't get phased by a normal sledge. He threw the Viney Co-Captain at him and Jones cracked the sads.

2 double bogeys from Chunk and Goody remains unbeaten in golf. Just shows what a great coach he is. He knows how the boys tick.

Edited by Night Crawler
  • Like 8