Jack Watts

Gator

After listening to Goodwins presser, I'm not convinced Watts will be able to do enough between now and the Eagles game to warrant selection.

Sounded like there is a pre-determined period and plan the coaches have in place for Jack.

9 minutes ago, McQueen said:

After listening to Goodwins presser, I'm not convinced Watts will be able to do enough between now and the Eagles game to warrant selection.

Sounded like there is a pre-determined period and plan the coaches have in place for Jack.

I think they'll leave him out for WCE whether he's completed his homework or not.

Then unleash him, breathing fire, in round one.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Could get his chance at Casey

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/jack-watts-might-need-to-wait-until-march-19-to-play-a-vfl-practice-game-20170226-gulm59.html

• Like 1

While I hope that the current plan to 'intensify' Watts leads to him becoming an AA++ player, it would be  disaster if it stuffs him up instead.   He's well within our best 22 at his 2016 level of intensity.  Surely the rest of the team can live with one or two good players who aren't quite as intense as they are without their morale plunging into the abyss.  Will be interesting to see what happens.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rpfc said:

I coached the seconds at Ainslie last year and the amount of times I had to say to young blokes "you got dropped form the 1s, who gives a [censored]," was eye opening...

We have built up this pervasive fear of the slightest bit of failure, that someone has to address getting 'dropped' from pre-season games on the national news!

If you are looking for an example of a player that can be dropped multiple times, stay strong and make a career for himself and play some top quality footy, you don't have to look very far - Jack Watts is a fine example!

The genius of Watts has taken ages and he seems to take a leap forward and then he dithers, shows fiery brilliance and a blip of indifference, brings the house down, and then lets himself down.

But it is the trying times like these that seem to define him, or at least he defines them. With every criticism, and there have been plenty here, he has eschewed them and continued on, and he will do it again in 2017.

He's Jack Watts.

I'm Malcolm Gladwell and this was Revisionist History.

(Note: It's a really good podcast)

Yep, lots of things here, Simon really likes him, thinks he is probably comparable to Kekovich or Croswell, thinks he is a game changer, thinks he is tough enough and what's most important thinks he can do whatever it is he wants of him. This is maybe the biggest "bust out" for MFC this year, and could mean anything or nothing.....

4 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Yep, lots of things here, Simon really likes him, thinks he is probably comparable to Kekovich or Croswell, thinks he is a game changer, thinks he is tough enough and what's most important thinks he can do whatever it is he wants of him. This is maybe the biggest "bust out" for MFC this year, and could mean anything or nothing.....

Are they your words or his? Goodwin isn't old enough to have seen Kekovich or Crosswell play. And I couldn't have picked out 2 players more incomparable to Jack Watts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sue said:

While I hope that the current plan to 'intensify' Watts leads to him becoming an AA++ player, it would be  disaster if it stuffs him up instead.   He's well within our best 22 at his 2016 level of intensity.  Surely the rest of the team can live with one or two good players who aren't quite as intense as they are without their morale plunging into the abyss.  Will be interesting to see what happens.

I understand what you're saying Sue, some players need a rocket others a cuddle,  unfortunately you cannot keep cuddling guys, its hard enough in everyday work situations let a lone in the professional sport world.  Jack may need to start self motivating and get that fire burning or other players will go past him and fast.  When hes on hes amazing to watch, we need that J.Watts more then the bloke that can go missing when his confidence is down.

8 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Are they your words or his? Goodwin isn't old enough to have seen Kekovich or Crosswell play. And I couldn't have picked out 2 players more incomparable to Jack Watts.

But he knows they are both as mad as cut snakes.

I know Brent C personally-one of the funniest, wittiest and most well read men in Australia.Bonkers.

Sam K I'm purely judging off the Lamb ads.

Jack Watts is a top clubman and kids love him.

I bet he will have a great year.

11 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Yes mate, my words, but i don't care, It's just romantic isn't it, romance in footy. who would have thought. You're probably right, Simon wouldn't be old enough, but if he reads this he would understand what i'm saying. You know great players like Modra and Smart, there you go....

3 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Yes mate, my words, but i don't care, It's just romantic isn't it, romance in footy. who would have thought. You're probably right, Simon wouldn't be old enough, but if he reads this he would understand what i'm saying. You know great players like Modra and Smart, there you go....

Nah, you've lost me. You keep bringing up players who are nothing like Jack Watts. Try Jim Tilbrook or Andy Moir.

And the game has evolved so much, Goodwin probably couldn't give a rats about romanticism. 

4 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Nah, you've lost me. You keep bringing up players who are nothing like Jack Watts. Try Jim Tilbrook or Andy Moir.

And the game has evolved so much, Goodwin probably couldn't give a rats about romanticism. 

Simon probably thinks he has the potential to be a game changer, so do i. The players i mentioned were game changers, with tough. He will work on this with Jack

Another positive.... I do sort of wonder sometimes if these young kids (and they ARE young) will tire at about round 12-15 compared to other mature teams, like Richmond, that accelerate then. Watts might be going strong. Up until this pre season his engine was considered an asset. And you don't get shorter as games get longer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

Another positive.... I do sort of wonder sometimes if these young kids (and they ARE young) will tire at about round 12-15 compared to other mature teams, like Richmond, that accelerate then. Watts might be going strong. Up until this pre season his engine was considered an asset. And you don't get shorter as games get longer.

I'd rather our young kids all came down with chronic fatigue syndrome in round 15 than ever become anything like Richmond.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Watts will play Round 1. Colonel Hogan needs another big unit up forward and the Weed is not ready yet

his chance will come

Stop talking so much sense SWY. I hope this is the case as I don't think Weids is quite ready for the big league just yet either. Probably just super priming Watts to have a big impact early.

Would also like to see Tim Smith get a run as soon as we can get him in there if he has the tank. Too good to be on a rookie list. A better prospect than Joel Smith IMO (albeit they play a completely diff role I realise but both rookies) and well ahead of Weids at present. Would bolster our goal scoring options. Super accurate, very hard to match up on and a good mark on the lead.

2 hours ago, Skuit said:

I'd rather our young kids all came down with chronic fatigue syndrome in round 15 than ever become anything like Richmond.

What was I thinking, even mentioning the word.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

Rene Kink, Mick Conlan?

Conlan was huge.

I remember being at the G and old Micky was on the wing standing next to his man.

The fellow next to me screamed out HEY CONLAN, WHY DON'T YOU GET A BIGGER HEAD,IT LOOKS LIKE A PEA ON A PUMPKIN..... and it did.

Trac,s not that big..

• Like 1