Training - Friday 2nd December, 2016

Whispering_Jack

17 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

This tweet of training today pretty much sums up the changes between last season and now...

The coach reporting for duty ?

CypXI-fUsAA3KiX.jpg

A truly heartwarming picture. 

For those who don't know of 'Starlight', it is a foundation that helps make wishes come true for very, very ill kids.  See more of their wish granting here:https://twitter.com/Starlight_star

and if anyone feels like putting smiles on the faces of other sick kids by having their wishes granted, donations can be made here:   https://starlight.org.au/donation-form

Sorry if this post is classified as 'derailing a thread'.  Will leave it to the mods to decide whether to remove it.

Edit: It seems young Andrew has the vary rare Infantile Refsum Disease.  There is a delightful video clip of him running with the team in this article about JV.  http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/melbourne-players-work-up-a-sweat-in-gruelling-training-session/news-story/7bcc784d03e6ff36188431fd0365f11f  And the beaming photo with his idol, Jack Viney is priceless!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

So have we found Clarry of the Overflow?

Max is from ironbark

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Will be posting lots of pics on Instagram, over the weekend, had to work this afternoon, how sad

What's your instagram Saty?

8 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

What's your instagram Saty?

Demonpk    

On training, you can actually see the skills improving each session with the footy out early, although some of the non preferred kicking Goodwin has them doing is still a work in progress

For nicknames the players have run out of ideas Dion Johnstone is DJ

Edited by Satyriconhome

31 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Best "season" of preseason training reports ever? 

Positive, we're on the up, seeing Lewis in the red and blue, talent developing... Is it rnd 1 yet?!

Cards now Hibberds engine is up and running,  his kicking is on show, you can be positive about that as well, one example one low flat rocket across field about 60/70 metres to a stationary Bernie Vince, slapped into his hands at eye height

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Cheers again for all the training reports. I am sure I speak for most Dees fans living outside of Victoria, it is much appreciated.

Absolutely!  I live for them!  Cheers guys!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Thanks for the reports! Hun article said Lewis is still recovering from a shoulder injury, so obviously keeping him out of a bit of work at the moment. No reason given for hoges return home, I'd say it's just part of his program it even a reward for returning in such great shape.

uh oh..........

2 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Thanks for the reports! Hun article said Lewis is still recovering from a shoulder injury, so obviously keeping him out of a bit of work at the moment. No reason given for hoges return home, I'd say it's just part of his program it even a reward for returning in such great shape.

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

uh oh..........

I'll start worrying when he is accused of attacking someone with a machete...

• Like 7

8 hours ago, waynewussell said:

The young Make A Wish supporter was befriended by Jack Viney late in the picture and was surrounded by cameramen, so expect to see some News reports this evening. Jack arm-wrestled the kid and then hauled him up on his shoulders. On Weiderman, yes he is still lightly built by AFL standards, but athleticism is excellent. He is busting a gut during training and will take another step in 2017, however, I don't expect him to play every game, 10 or 12 would be more likely. I saw Lewis get really down on himself for not hitting a leading target on his right foot. He immediately sent a sizzling pass with his left at the next opportunity. Watching Goody and Macca coaching together was encouraging, to say the least. Goodwin is very clear in communicating what he wants / expects from the group. Macca keeps working away at the finer detail... "arch your back and kick through the ball, Frosty, don't just caress it... Save that for Sunday nights!" 

Wayne you are the bomb. Insightful, personal and informative with no superfluity. You and Deespencer are invaluable on these threads. Much appreciated.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

I assume that is the one he sustained in the 1st qtr of the GF?

9 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

I asked him the other day whether he is going to play at Albury again this year to keep his eye in (he played about 7 games last year when he could fit it in) answer "of course", also asked him whether there was the slightest chance of him even looking like he is ageing or slowing down, answer "absolutely not"

I remember him playing against my son in Under 14 Basketball

So small but lots of skill 

didnt see him again  close up until at his peak with Bulldogs

Still amazed how slight he was 

His Father and Uncle kept Albury Tigers alive during their darkest Period

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Cheers again for all the training reports. I am sure I speak for most Dees fans living outside of Victoria, it is much appreciated.

You can also speak for most Dees fans living inside of Victoria who for whatever reason can't make it down to training.

Thanks also to the mods for getting rid of the nitpickers who used to derail these threads by picking arguments at the drop of a hat and generally playing the fool.

Training threads are much more readable these days.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

I agree (for those who live in regional Victoria too)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cards13 said:

Best "season" of preseason training reports ever? 

Positive, we're on the up, seeing Lewis in the red and blue, talent developing... Is it rnd 1 yet?!

Yep reports have been excellent with no palaver. i have even taken saty off ignore so i can read his training posts without tapping show post. Good work to all reporters.

Saty (and other regular track watchers) a question, given your experience. i know it is early days and i know goodwin took alot of the training last year but are you seeing any notable differences in routines, drill, focus this year?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, binman said:

Yep reports have been excellent with no palaver. i have even taken saty off ignore so i can read his training posts without tapping show post. Good work to all reporters.

Saty (and other regular track watchers) a question, given your experience. i know it is early days and i know goodwin took alot of the training last year but are you seeing any notable differences in routines, drill, focus this year?

I think the small group drills have an even more physical edge if that's possible. Lots of pressure and tackling. But that might just be me not recalling how they were last year. 

Otherwise the biggest change is a greater focus on opposite foot kicking. Whether it's the warm up, kicking drills, small group or large drills there seems to be a lot more of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

I think the small group drills have an even more physical edge if that's possible. Lots of pressure and tackling. But that might just be me not recalling how they were last year. 

Otherwise the biggest change is a greater focus on opposite foot kicking. Whether it's the warm up, kicking drills, small group or large drills there seems to be a lot more of it.

Thanks, appreciated. its great they are focusing on non dominant kicking as in modern footy it makes a huge difference in terms of ability to switch and cross the ball.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, binman said:

There are always other posters such as DeeSpencer who go the extra mile to describe the drills, not my forte, I provide a bit of colour, chats, photos etc

Goodwin and Macca are encouraging the physicality, and rightly so, it helps that we are now the beneficiaries of the 3 years hard work Roos and Misson put into building bodies

Jones and Oliver were smashing into each other on Wednesday with Macca shouting encouragement

BenKen got cleaned up yesterday and then got Sam Frost with a beautiful hit

The non preferred kicking is getting better each drill.

The fact that they have the footy out all the time shows where the team is at fitness wise, touch wood we will have everybody ready to go first session after Xmas

I followed half the squad to the tan yesterday and after 100 mins of footy training Misso had them repeat running up the hill near the Bowl, whilst the rest who stayed had Crossy to deal with

The photos I put up on Instagram were trying to show some of the 'new' body shapes  enjoy

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 7

29 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Goodwin and Macca are encouraging the physicality, and rightly so, it helps that we are now the beneficiaries of the 3 years hard work Rood and Misson put into building bodies

Nice report but pardon me for being rude - who's Rood?