Round 1 2017 v bombers?

brendan

So how would our best team stack up against theirs? Line by line analysis...

----------------

FB: Jetta (Fantasia) - Frost (Hooker) - Oscar (Stewart/Brown)

HB: Hibberd (Langford) - T.Mac (Joe) - Hunt (Zaha)

Joe is a trouble for us, but I think the rest of the match ups work in our favour. Dees win this line.

------------------------------------------

C: Vince (Goddard) - Lewis (Jobe) - Stanton (Salem)

I think this line is 50/50. Goddard and Jobe are class players, but Vince and Lewis have more aggression at the ball/man.

------------------------------------------

HF: Kent (Gleeson) - Hogan (Hurley) - Trac (Tippa)

FF: Watts (Dea) - Pedo (Hartley) - Garlett (Bags)

Our forward line will cause headaches for their backline. We are too quick for their backline, and Kent/Trac cause match up head aches. Dees win this line,

---------------------------------------------

R: Gawn (Leuey) - Viney (Merrett) - Jones (Heppell)

50/50 for mine again. Gawn is much better, but Merrett is ahead of Viney for the moment. Heppell/Jones are line ball.

----------------------------------------------

I: Oliver (Parish) - Tyson (Hocking) - Melk (Myers) - Brayshaw (Laverde)

50/50 again. Tyson is better than Hocking, but the rest of it is pretty much breakeven.

---------------

On paper, we should win. However, the hunger and passion may will them over the line.

Not too sure why people are so upset about this. The attention around this game will be huge. We need these big high pressure games.

People will be drawn to see the Bomber players return so the AFL either go 'let's put them in prime time and draw a big crowd/audience, or..... lets put them on Sunday at 4.40 at Freo.' How could you possibly justify option 2?

They've committed the crime and they've done their time. Time to move on.

• Like 1

Not too sure why people are so upset about this. The attention around this game will be huge. We need these big high pressure games.

People will be drawn to see the Bomber players return so the AFL either go 'let's put them in prime time and draw a big crowd/audience, or..... lets put them on Sunday at 4.40 at Freo.' How could you possibly justify option 2?

Easy. Firstly they are a bunch of cheating [censored], club and many players included. The players have served there time so should return, but it shouldn't be to any fan fair. The club have not done their time or even been charged! [censored] them.

Secondly they finished last last year. By the reckoning of the AFL themselves that means they don't get prime time games.

[censored] the AFL as well while we are at it, they are the most inept, misguided buch of sycophantic idiots I have ever come across.

• Like 5

The reason bottom teams don't get prime time is because no one wants to watch them. People will watch this game next year and that is great for us. Would you rather play Port at 1pm Sunday at the G in front of $25k and make a loss?

We got an ANZAC Day eve game after winning 1 more game then them the previous year. Were you upset about that?

Maybe we shouldn't get Friday nights because we tanked in 2009?

We get a big win out of this. People just like to complain for the sake of it.

Most people have a conscience, lots of people have selective short memories and thousands more don't like the direction the AFL is taking the grass roots supporters.       ME.

I can't wait to see the ads with the returning bombers players in the lead-up to this match.

Big victorious rock music, drug cheats in full on hero stance mode. Fireworks in the background, maybe explosions. Walking with serious faces towards the camera. Tag lines about "overcoming adversity" and "against the odds". Clips of banned bombers laying massive tackles, showing "grit" and "agro", massive crowd cheering them on.

Oh yes. I can't wait.

• Like 4

The reason bottom teams don't get prime time is because no one wants to watch them. People will watch this game next year and that is great for us. Would you rather play Port at 1pm Sunday at the G in front of $25k and make a loss?

We got an ANZAC Day eve game after winning 1 more game then them the previous year. Were you upset about that?

Maybe we shouldn't get Friday nights because we tanked in 2009?

We get a big win out of this. People just like to complain for the sake of it.

I have no issue with us getting a Friday night, I have a massive issue with the Dons getting one and the way they going to be portrayed as returning heroes! Their first game back should be low key and buried in the fixture. To not do so is to endorse the use of PED's.

• Like 3

Agree, disappointing if it goes to Hawks. Would be great to have a blockbuster on a Friday night, not a game against Norf at Ethiad or some such.

reasonable source tells me it'll be peptides against the hawks in round 1, either friday or saturday night.

we won't get our first crack at em til around about round 5.

If that's the case, I reckon we're due to play interstate round 1 as we've only travelled twice in our history (1991 and 1998 both in Perth) in the season opener.

Fremantle, Adelaide and Brisbane are due to host round 1 with Sydney the likely other team.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

It would be a lot easier for me to 'move on' if more of the AFL establishment and media acted like the club had indeed 'committed the crime'.

Edited by sue
  • Like 8

Our new recruit should help in getting our heads right for this game. What a start to the season: a belting to put us on top of the ladder after round 1.

Exactly what most on here said when we played them this year.

Yes I know, this will be different.

Well hopefully it is.

Hopefully this time we take them seriously and play our best footy.

• Like 2

My initial reaction was "bring it on". Would be great having a Friday night game & the chance to rub their noses in it.

On further reflection though, I want no part of it

If the Goat Rooters want to celebrate the return of their suspended players as conquering heroes, let them do it on their own dung heap. And the thought of all those red & black swine marching from Fed Square to the G makes me want to throw up

And if they want to play us at the G they can do it as the visiting team that they are

My preference for them in R1 would be Sunday 4.40. At Etihad. Against North. They can all do their march from Spencer Street Station. It will get the coverage it deserves

Everything about them gives me the shitzzzz

• Like 6

As a Dees fan living overseas o am so strongly against this. My only way to watch the games is on TV/online and the fawning over the 'returning heroes' will be too much to bear! (Even with the sound off) 

Would rather play them round 10 when the emotions gone and their aging legs start to ache.

• Like 1

No way in hell do they deserve to have a friday night game. Wow so the efc want us to celebrate the returning of the players who were banned for 12 mths and the AFL will give them a friday night game to a club who bought the game into disrepute for a number of years. 

I do not want to play them r1. Im sick of being the away team. Play them in r10 or middle of the season. They want to have another one of those marches again. 

Eddie and Luke Darcy were right this morning. Essendon can just wait and get back to the queue for those games. This is a team that finished on the bottom.

You know who deserves friday night r1. The bulldogs where they can unveil there premiership flag. Not against us though. 

• Like 5

If that's the case, I reckon we're due to play interstate round 1 as we've only travelled twice in our history (1991 and 1998 both in Perth) in the season opener.

Fremantle, Adelaide and Brisbane are due to host round 1 with Sydney the likely other team.

And I reckon we r due to play the cats at the fartin MCG FFS and not that piz bowl down at Geelong. 

• Like 2

I don't understand how anyone could be against this. I would love to knock off Essendon in Round 1 in front of 80,000 at the MCG.

Although I don't like the idea behind it (Essendon welcoming back their banned players like they're long lost heroes), I'd be more than happy to see the club play on a Friday night in Round 1. It's a fantastic opportunity to not only smash Essendon and officially start the Goodwin era, but to let a packed MCG crowd and millions of TV viewers know that we've arrived, and we're here to stay.

Sadly under AFL rules with every dollar going to reward the drug cheats. 

So how would our best team stack up against theirs? Line by line analysis...

Fairly accurate analysis IMO. Interesting that Salem is the only player of the six across the centre under 30 years of age. Daniher has killed TMac in the last two outings. I doubt that the latter showed him (Daniher) any respect. In round 2 Jetta was left to compete with Daniher on one occasion. I think Frost or even OMac (taller) may be a better option.